Killswitch Engage [2009] - Killswitch Engage
7.1

Review this album

1. Nov 17, 2011
    When compared to the last 2 albums by the band, Its trash. Its really just another generic metal album that was aimed more towards being accepted by the masses instead of their dedicated fanbase (which caused their previous 2 albums to reach Gold status). I was really disapointed with this album and I wouldnt suggest this to anyone
  2. Jun 4, 2011
    Killswitch Engage doesn't exceed As Daylight Dies in any way possible, but there are a few surprises (such as "The Return" and "Take Me Away") and some killer metal tracks that may keep fans satisfied.
  3. Nov 12, 2013
    Spectacular lyrics, amazing riffs, and lots of things separates this band from the other cookie-cutter metalcore bands. Killswitch has always inspired me to do greater things.
  4. Dec 8, 2011
    A great album, but not fantastic like their last 2. It really just reassures us that Killswitch Engage can still write well (some of the songs I'd consider among their best). It's not as heavy as their last two albums (people may disagree with me there). You should listen to it more than twice though, as I was really disappointed upon first hearing. It can surprise, just not throughout. Here's hoping their new album due next year will keep it up. Expand
  5. Dec 3, 2011
    Its actually pretty disapointing and not as good as their previous album (As Daylight Dies). The album is very short and is full of decent/bad songs that are no where near as good as their other songs. Overall, Its just a generic rock/metal album that was intended more for the radio then for anything else.
  6. Jun 29, 2012
    Having never really listened to Killswitch Engage previously, and not ever really being a metal fan - I found the album immensely enjoyable - the music itself is intrinsic and catchy, the melodies and the vocals work like melted butter on a piece of toast in the morning: Lush. And the singer's voice is SO good, that when singing along - I sound so off key I may as well be singing a lullaby. There isn't a single song in the album I dislike, each one is unique and powerful.... making this the Best Thing I've listened to all year. Yet I think other reviewers are harsh to judge the album on previous releases by the band, just because it's not as good - doesn't make it rubbish, treat it as something new - not an addition to 'as daylight dies'. (which, to be fair, I haven't even listened to!) Expand
  7. Mar 14, 2013
    Killswitch Engage is still hard, progressive and melodic, but honestly was not all that good.
    The guitars and bass are still clean, but I notice when it changes and not very flattering are the sound of the drums and the voice very different from Howard Jones, is very weak in comparison to their earlier work, also suggest that KSE began emporear, hopefully not the case then.
    But the album
    overall the album is good and still has the drive and melodic style that everyone loves from KSE.
    You can not miss this work, especially the big fans of Killswitch Engage.
  8. Mar 22, 2013
    The worst album this great band has ever released? The answer is in the question. There's no doubt how disappointing this album really is especially when comparing it to Utter Greatness like 'The End of Heartache' & 'Alive Or Just Breathing'. The album is not just a failure of Killswitch's standards but commercially too. Ok maybe there's a few good songs in there that are worth singing to but what most people question about this controversial album is the crunching riffs from Adam D & Joel S. Yes there are some great choruses in this album but the verses? Fairly Poor in all honesty & for the lyrics by the great Howard Jones? Another Flaw. KsE are my favourite band but this is certainly an album to forget for all avid Killswitch fans. Oh well 4 years on, Jesse is back & there new album 'Disarm The Descent' is out in just weeks & already (unlike Self-Titled) sounds like it's going to be a classic. Expand
  9. May 17, 2013
    Usually I am the guy who is really strict on writing reviews, about games, movies, music, ext...

This album was an inspiration on me, mainly because when I wasn't feeling depressed, this album helped e out, and cheered me up.

Even though I was never really a fan of Jesse, this album makes me remember the times that I've been through.
  10. Jan 21, 2014
    Lost 4 1024

TOTAL SCORE=9270
    10 THRESHOLD=10000
    FINAL=9.27

1. Where 2006's "As Daylight Dies" hinted at an accelerated focus on the more melodic aspects of extreme metal, Killswitch Engage cements the notion.
  2. This album isn't going to change the way you think about metal, but Killswitch Engange aren't Mastodon; they just want to get the pit going, and this album will surely acomplish that. [Aug 2009, p.108]
  3. Aside from a few unique moments ("The Return," "Take Me Away"), there's not much new to report here.