Late Registration

8.8

Review this album

1. Jul 17, 2017
    good album............................................................................................................................................................
  2. Jul 14, 2017
    A great follow up to one of the greatest debuts albums ever, which is pretty impressive. With this album Kanye proved that he was not just a one hit wonder and that he was in fact here to stay.
  3. Jan 27, 2017
    An excellent follow-up to College Dropout and it pretty much follows the same concept of his debut. Solid album, another classic from Mr. West, best album of 2005
  4. Nov 29, 2016
    what an album... the variation on this project was just perfect. there were heartfelt songs like roses and hey mama, but there were also more upbeat songs like touch the sky and we major. the jazzy production was very fitting to the theme and vocals of this LP. my only complaint is that the skits were a little unnecessary. i liked the input of them, but they didn't seem to fit what waswhat an album... the variation on this project was just perfect. there were heartfelt songs like roses and hey mama, but there were also more upbeat songs like touch the sky and we major. the jazzy production was very fitting to the theme and vocals of this LP. my only complaint is that the skits were a little unnecessary. i liked the input of them, but they didn't seem to fit what was being said in the tracks before and after them. a really really enjoyable listen.
    fav tracks: touch the sky, gold digger, crack music, roses, bring me down, diamonds from sierra leone[remix w jay z], we major, gone
  5. Oct 28, 2016
    This album embodies Ye's incredible ability to fuse hip-hop ballads with foot-tappers and head-nodders. Tracks like "Gone" and "Touch the Sky" make you want to learn all the words and forget where you are. They are nicely contrasted by "Addiction" and "Roses", which still have engrossing beats but lyrics that reflect his side that contradicts the impression of an egotistic pseudo-manic.This album embodies Ye's incredible ability to fuse hip-hop ballads with foot-tappers and head-nodders. Tracks like "Gone" and "Touch the Sky" make you want to learn all the words and forget where you are. They are nicely contrasted by "Addiction" and "Roses", which still have engrossing beats but lyrics that reflect his side that contradicts the impression of an egotistic pseudo-manic. Overlaid by skits that show the hardship of living in poverty, partially due to the color of one's skin, the album flows nicely, cementing Ye's career as a producer and an intense lyricist. This is an album that will be remembered for decades to come. Expand
  6. Jan 8, 2016
    'Late Registration' by Kanye West is great album. My favourite tracks: 'Drive Slow', 'Gold Digger', and absolutely amazing 'Diamonds From Sierra Leone'.
  7. Jan 5, 2016
    The album isn't bad, it has the power of a real rap album, but not all the songs are good. The best songs are surely "Heard 'Em Say", a perfect example of melodic rap, and "Gold Digger", maybe one of the best rap songs ever, the flow and the vocal performance of Jamie Foxx are unique. but songs like "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" and "Crack Music" are not too much good, and a little boring.The album isn't bad, it has the power of a real rap album, but not all the songs are good. The best songs are surely "Heard 'Em Say", a perfect example of melodic rap, and "Gold Digger", maybe one of the best rap songs ever, the flow and the vocal performance of Jamie Foxx are unique. but songs like "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" and "Crack Music" are not too much good, and a little boring. The album has a few of masterpieces and a lot of boring rap songs, but generally it's a medium/good album Expand
  8. Apr 28, 2015
    A really great second album from Kanye who shows he can be consistent in his work, staying true to his ambitions while refreshing a bit his style. Like the previous one, a sharp production from the guy who brought you most of the beats on Jay-Z's Blueprint and a Chicago sound sure to please any fan of Chicago's hip-hop.
  9. Apr 12, 2015
    WAKE UP MR. WEST!! The second album of Kanye's career proves to be another masterpiece. Never one to overuse a style, West noticed almost instantly after College Dropout that his sped-up soul sample was starting to become an industry cliche, so he shook it up a little. This resulting album's instrumentation is still pretty ahead of it's time. West cleverly uses the other side of theWAKE UP MR. WEST!! The second album of Kanye's career proves to be another masterpiece. Never one to overuse a style, West noticed almost instantly after College Dropout that his sped-up soul sample was starting to become an industry cliche, so he shook it up a little. This resulting album's instrumentation is still pretty ahead of it's time. West cleverly uses the other side of the 60s/70s songs he so loves to give them pop appeal. For example, the blaring horns on "Touch the Sky", the daunting keys on "Drive Slow" and Jamie Foxx's humorous interpretation of a random Ray Charles line on "Gold Digger." He also mixes the type of dramatic orchestral instrumentation usually found in movie soundtracks, courtesy of Jon Brion. Lyrically, the album doesn't showcase West's ability any more than "College Dropout" he can still tell a good story and has plenty of clever, if not a little immature, punchlines ("If you're a stripper named Porsche and you get tips from many men, then your fat friend her nickname is Mini-Van.") That type of self-aware ego is common on this album, with several skits featuring Kanye in a penniless fraternity called "Phi-broke." There's still time for serious messages however, creating goosebumps worthy songs in "My Way Home", where Common laments over a Gil Scott-Heron sample, "Crack Music", a stark look at hip-hop's place in white America, "Roses", which looks at his grandmother's hospital stay and the medical industry as a whole and a "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" Remix that more directly tackles the title. This is the album that showcases Kanye's star quality and it's a hard one to dislike, no matter how obnoxious he can get. Expand
  10. Mar 22, 2015
    8.5/10................................................................................................................................................
  11. Mar 2, 2015
    Ten years on Late Registration has aged brilliantly compared to Kanye West's other critically acclaimed work. The production is still the best Kanye contribution to date, and is arguably one of the finest to ever in it's genre. The guest verses are unconventional, especially at the time, yet they work in perfect harmony with Mr West. Such crisp production and light on the ear rhymes areTen years on Late Registration has aged brilliantly compared to Kanye West's other critically acclaimed work. The production is still the best Kanye contribution to date, and is arguably one of the finest to ever in it's genre. The guest verses are unconventional, especially at the time, yet they work in perfect harmony with Mr West. Such crisp production and light on the ear rhymes are what continue to make Late Registration a timeless classic. Expand
  12. Feb 4, 2014
    This album is a near-perfect mix of braggadocio, raw emotion, and socially conscious lyrics. Also, the features work beautifully and contribute to the impact of this album. There's 2 or 3 songs that could have been left out, but Late Registration is without a doubt an elite LP. ~ 8.5/10

Best track: "Touch The Sky" Other notable tracks: "Gold Digger", "Crack Music", "Roses", "We Major",

Best track: "Touch The Sky"
    Other notable tracks: "Gold Digger", "Crack Music", "Roses", "We Major", "Hey Mama", & "Diamonds From Sierra Leone" (remix and original)
  13. Nov 11, 2013
    Late Registration is nothing short of ambitious, self-assured, and an instant mile-stone. Mr. West was no victim to the sophomore slump, pushing himself even further to stardom with each hit. Every track holds something distinct and worthwhile, while also showing off Kanye as the great MC he is. The production is bombastic in this record, sometimes going very minimal as well, like he doesLate Registration is nothing short of ambitious, self-assured, and an instant mile-stone. Mr. West was no victim to the sophomore slump, pushing himself even further to stardom with each hit. Every track holds something distinct and worthwhile, while also showing off Kanye as the great MC he is. The production is bombastic in this record, sometimes going very minimal as well, like he does in "Drive Slow".

All In All, Late Registration is a brilliant follow up to "College Dropout" A-
  14. Oct 11, 2013
    Late Reg is Kanye's greatest work.
    Best songs:
    We Major
    Hey Mama
    GONE
    Diamonds from Sierra Leone
    But the whole album is incredible.
  15. Jun 18, 2013
    From one of rap's best debuts to one of it's greatest follow-ups, not to mention, one of the best albums to ever spawn from the genre. Stylistically and sonically a step-up from it's predecessor, undoubtedly from the help of "Jon Brion on the keys". "Touch The Sky", "Celebration", "We Major", "Gone", an album all about showing off and livin' it up, in all it's glory and in all it's folly,From one of rap's best debuts to one of it's greatest follow-ups, not to mention, one of the best albums to ever spawn from the genre. Stylistically and sonically a step-up from it's predecessor, undoubtedly from the help of "Jon Brion on the keys". "Touch The Sky", "Celebration", "We Major", "Gone", an album all about showing off and livin' it up, in all it's glory and in all it's folly, it's jealously and it's unintended victims, "Gold Digger", "Addiction", "Bring Me Down", "Diamonds From Sierra Leone". From "putting those hazard lights on" picking up girls with "Drive Slow", to realizing and understanding that "Nothing lasts forever" and even though "it hurts", that "it may be the only way" on the street-poet-spilling-his-heart "Heard Em Say", to the soft, sweet, love-filled ode to his Mom "Hey Mama", this album found me really appreciating all the tracks not just for them in themselves, but what they added to the whole. Classic Album. 9.5/10 Expand
  16. Nov 23, 2012
    Another top album from Mr West, one of the few hip hop/rap artists where I can listen to an entire album. This has got some great singles and has the fantastic "Gold digger". Production is flawless, only thing that I don't like are the "skit" tracks which ruin the flow of the record for me. If your not a fan of the genre (and in general, I'm not) this guy is still worth checking out.Another top album from Mr West, one of the few hip hop/rap artists where I can listen to an entire album. This has got some great singles and has the fantastic "Gold digger". Production is flawless, only thing that I don't like are the "skit" tracks which ruin the flow of the record for me. If your not a fan of the genre (and in general, I'm not) this guy is still worth checking out. Really find myself enjoying his records. Collapse
  17. Nov 14, 2012
    Kanye established his skill in College Dropout, but Late Registration is when he truly shines. The beats are expanded to new horizons and his lyrics are just as good. He does a great job of sampling songs and there's several guest appearances that amplify his own ability as well. Great album, I really do believe it's an instant classic. I think about it this way: Kanye always has thatKanye established his skill in College Dropout, but Late Registration is when he truly shines. The beats are expanded to new horizons and his lyrics are just as good. He does a great job of sampling songs and there's several guest appearances that amplify his own ability as well. Great album, I really do believe it's an instant classic. I think about it this way: Kanye always has that arrogant "I'm one of the greatest ever" kind of attitute, but after I listened to all of Late Registration, I caught myself starting to think that he may not be completely wrong. Favorites: Heard Em' Say, Gold Digger, Gone. Least Favorite: Bring Me Down. Expand
  18. Apr 25, 2012
    West attempted to polish his style in the follow-up to College Dropout and lost all of the charm that made his debut interesting in the first place. Outside of the introduction of Lupe Fiasco on "Touch the Sky", there isn't much on this album worth listening to.
  19. Feb 20, 2012
    Meh...I never quite connected with this album, sure the singles from this were great stompers but overall it all feels like an extension of the first album and without the impact due to the massive influx of stars invading his work.
  20. Oct 17, 2011
    Wake up Mr. West cause you gave a an incredible album to enjoy for days to come. The amount of effort that was put into this album shines in the best tracks of the LP.
    Best Tracks:
    Heard 'Em Say (Feat. Adam Levine)
    Gold Digger (Feat. Jamie Foxx)
    Hey Mama
    Drive Slow (Feat. Paul Wall & GLC)
    We Major (Feat Nas & Really Doe)
    Diamonds From Sierra Leone (Feat Jay-Z)
    And all the Skits.
  21. j30
    Sep 28, 2011
    Really an excellent album. It gives me hope in Hip-Hop again. This album builds off it's predecessor, like the rest of his albums that follows (with an exception of 808's and Heartbreak).
  22. Aug 22, 2011
    With this album Kanye made it known that he'll be around for a while. Great album my favorite from mr. West. Kanye West showed his lyricall greatness, his **** expressed his feelings all on one album.
  23. Jul 19, 2011
    This Album is brilliant, influential and has to be one of the best Albums of 2005 and also of all time. I thought it would be impossible for him to do an Album which is either better than College Dropout or on same level.
  24. Jun 12, 2011
    Terrific album, not perfect, but geniunely enjoyable, some tracks need work, but the rest works. BEST SONG ON THIS TRACK IS: TOUCH THE SKY FT. LUPE FIASCO. Kanye knows how to please, and does with this album.
  25. May 8, 2011
    THIS IS THE BEST ALBUM OF THE DECADE. This album was amazing i loved every song on this album. its my favorite kanye west album. its perfect. it deserves 5 stars. this album shows people how talented kanye west is. great album!!!!!!!! 10/10 pure genius
  26. Nov 9, 2010
    absolutely amazing its in my top fave albums i love it to death. not my favorite kanye album but it is amazing Diamonds From Sierra Leon is one of my favorite songs i could listen to that for years and years doesnt get old. very amazing one of the best raps ever
  27. jaym
    Sep 4, 2009
    C L A S S I C
  28. pepef
    Apr 16, 2008
    a classic!
  29. hiphoplover
    Mar 26, 2008
    Until i heard "stronger", i never really liked Kanye West's music,but i herd stronger and i loved it. Plus my mate recommended Late Registration to me so i asked for it for my birthday. i got it and listened to it, and i thought it was brilliant! Not exactly what id call proper Hip-Hop, but still a pretty good album! I can listen to every track all the way through without getting Until i heard "stronger", i never really liked Kanye West's music,but i herd stronger and i loved it. Plus my mate recommended Late Registration to me so i asked for it for my birthday. i got it and listened to it, and i thought it was brilliant! Not exactly what id call proper Hip-Hop, but still a pretty good album! I can listen to every track all the way through without getting bored of it (except for "late," which is why the album gets a 9) and every track is on my ipod! (which is rare coz normally no more than 5 songs on average from an album make it onto your ipod, and most of the time its the albums singles...) Definitely fits into the top 10 albums i own. Shame some people still don't like it, but i suppose everyone has a different taste in music. anyways still a decent album in my opinion which i recommend to anyone... Expand
  30. JimbrowskiI.
    Nov 20, 2007
    What is the purpose of skits on rap albums again? Illmatic doesn't have single skit, which is probably why it's so short, but it's also why I love it so much (I've noticed that also with many rap artists in the Eighties, I like them to). Anyways, minus the skits, fantastic rap album. I was glad Graduation didn't have any skits.
  31. irvinc
    Jul 26, 2007
    late registration is brilliant, a superb triumph of hard labor of 'Ye and Jon Brion's behalf
  32. GregB
    Jun 25, 2007
    The production alone makes this the best album of 2005. Definitely better than College Dropout, and a lot more fun. Can't wait for Graduation!
  33. HeyManManManMan
    Jun 24, 2007
    I do agree this album is musically superior to The College Dropout. But there are still too many filler skits taking up time, and some lyrics (like on Roses) are lacking. Still top notch though. Such a creative force.
  34. pepef
    May 20, 2007
    a classic!
  35. CarlyQ
    Apr 2, 2007
    Not worthy of Rolling stones extremely rare 5 star rating but a very good album with great production. His rhymes are not worthy of a classic rating.
  36. DanA
    Dec 5, 2006
    Musically this album has far better production than The College Dropout. But some of the lyrics are hardly passable on some tracks. But this is still a near perfect album. Kanye is easily the best artist of the hip hop genre today.
  37. TyeN.
    Aug 13, 2006
    This album is my second favorite of 2005. Who would have thought that getting Jon Brion to produce would turn out to be such a great move? I love Jon Brion and Kanye, but it just didn't seem like a good match. That is, until I heard it. The production is amazing, and the album is filled with wonderful songs. My favorites are "Gone", "Diamonds (From Sierra Leone)", "Hey Mama", "Crack This album is my second favorite of 2005. Who would have thought that getting Jon Brion to produce would turn out to be such a great move? I love Jon Brion and Kanye, but it just didn't seem like a good match. That is, until I heard it. The production is amazing, and the album is filled with wonderful songs. My favorites are "Gone", "Diamonds (From Sierra Leone)", "Hey Mama", "Crack Music", "Addiction", "Heard 'Em Say", "Roses", and "Touch The Sky". The entire album is amazing though. Kanye West has become one of the few artist who's albums I always look forward to. I hope the rumors are true that he and Chris Martin did a song together for his third album...that would be amazing. Expand
  38. SeanP
    Jul 30, 2006
    Excellent album, and even though it's great artistically and lyrically, and all that high stuff, what puts this album over into "classic" is how purely ENJOYABLE it is. It's a cd i don't just have to listen to with headphones and all my close attention, but also one i can pop into my car. As good as College Dropout was, and after two great albums, kanye's rep should be Excellent album, and even though it's great artistically and lyrically, and all that high stuff, what puts this album over into "classic" is how purely ENJOYABLE it is. It's a cd i don't just have to listen to with headphones and all my close attention, but also one i can pop into my car. As good as College Dropout was, and after two great albums, kanye's rep should be established for now, regardless of his "ego". ALSO, i don't know why, but my favorite song on the album is Gone, a track which doesnt seem to get much attention. I personally think that song is genius, especially production-wise. Anyone else think Gone is one of the best songs? Expand
  39. JeremyE
    Apr 27, 2006
    This album is amazing!!!!! There isn't even one bad song! Best Hip-hop album ever made. You can tell he put a lot of work into his songs
  40. JustinW
    Apr 8, 2006
    Kanye is back with a bang. This is a satisfying album, and a good follow-up to College Dropout. Most of the songs are written well. The only down point I can think of is that West's giant ego is evident in a few songs.
  41. LucaA
    Apr 2, 2006
    Kanye West is my life.Late Registration is the best album of the hystory.From Italy
  42. Anon-ymous
    Mar 19, 2006
    This albums non hits are not really that good but the hits are superb. I would recommend this to friends (if I had any) !
  43. PilotJ
    Mar 7, 2006
    Bad poetry and beats that couldn't be any less interesting if they had been produced by a high school kid playing with a copy of fruityloops. Over-rated to the point that I find myself questiong my own sanity every time I read a good review of it. 2 points for the marketing department that continues to fool kids into thinking such boring ryhmes are profound biblical listening and 2 Bad poetry and beats that couldn't be any less interesting if they had been produced by a high school kid playing with a copy of fruityloops. Over-rated to the point that I find myself questiong my own sanity every time I read a good review of it. 2 points for the marketing department that continues to fool kids into thinking such boring ryhmes are profound biblical listening and 2 points because for such an over-hyped, bubble-gum-in-disguise waste of plastic - it sure does get the ladies dancing. Expand
  44. RaymondU
    Feb 13, 2006
    Another classic by kanye west. All his songs always have a meaning deep inside. I couldn't give it less than a 10.
  45. KyleighH
    Feb 11, 2006
    This is a very good album. Kanye West does absolutely excellent with this album. I love the songs "Gold Digger" and "Heard 'Em Say". They are both really, really, extremely good songs. Congrats to Kanye West at the Grammys. You go, Kanye! Keep on making the music that we all love!
  46. JDWilliams
    Jan 25, 2006
    A RAP CLASSIC. im not a rap fan at all but i loved college dropout. but late registration is a art rap album that makes his debut sound like a demo sometimes. its a classic and goes good with a rock fan(like me) CD collection. BUT IT
  47. TylerH
    Jan 22, 2006
    Nice now that you showed us you can rap you can go back to producing and bring hip hop out of this "southern era" before i kill myself.
  48. CabeM
    Jan 20, 2006
    For the most part it's a good album until you get to Crack Music. What the hell is that it's the worst song i've ever heard in my life. This should not be a Universal Acclaim.
  49. johna
    Jan 11, 2006
    its fuckin awsume
  50. marqusn
    Jan 11, 2006
    This album has the edge of Eminem, the hugeness of U2, and the soul of Ray Charles. The best track is either Roses, or Celebration, or Hey Mama. They're out of this world. It's cool to note how he has moved from being an inferior to the big-guns like Jay-z and 50 cent, to now; where he should become the driving force in the industry. No matter what people say, you can't This album has the edge of Eminem, the hugeness of U2, and the soul of Ray Charles. The best track is either Roses, or Celebration, or Hey Mama. They're out of this world. It's cool to note how he has moved from being an inferior to the big-guns like Jay-z and 50 cent, to now; where he should become the driving force in the industry. No matter what people say, you can't deny that rap is promoting gun culture. My evidence being that pretty much every 50 cent song has a gunshot in it. Kanye speaks with positivity, even his arrogance is purely forward thinking. Noel Gallagher said that "every figure in the current hip-hop scene is an idiot, bar none." I agreed with him, until West came along. This CD takes me back to the days of Public Enemy and Run DMC, where rap actually meant something- but it's superior to that. He's as radical, but he has the talent to outshine any of his peers. His comments about Bush on NBC will be remembered fondly in the future, whether the corperations like it or not. College Dropout was a breath of fresh air, in the same way Oasis' Definately Maybe was. Late registration is, in essence, his Morning glory. Expand
  51. PepaS
    Jan 10, 2006
    Not nearly as good as the college dropout
  52. MBerner
    Jan 9, 2006
    "10" doesn't even put into perspective the quality of the album...The best album of the year and one of the best over the past decade in any genre...A true album that you can pop in the cd player and just let it play through without having to keep hitting skip after every other song...The best production possibly ever on a hip-hop cd and the lyrical content isn't far "10" doesn't even put into perspective the quality of the album...The best album of the year and one of the best over the past decade in any genre...A true album that you can pop in the cd player and just let it play through without having to keep hitting skip after every other song...The best production possibly ever on a hip-hop cd and the lyrical content isn't far behind...The first time i heard it i almost couldn't believe this music was created for rap because it almost sounds like a piece of classical music...Each song flows from one to the next but has its own identity as well as they each touch on a different topic...The only small piece i didn't feel on this album i did on College Dropout was the pure originality as this seemed more carefully crafted and in some ways almost too good if that's possible...Nevertheless definitly deserves all the hype and a grammy for album of the year!!! A piece of work that you will be able to play 20 years from now and still appreciate the music...Cant wait for "Graduation" and the song with John Mayer "Bittersweet"...A true gift of art that i will cherish for ever...God Bless Expand
  53. LeifS
    Jan 8, 2006
    I am not a big fan of rap music, but i do like this album. I have a lot of respect for Kanye West. This album does not beat college dropout, but it is very close.
  54. ThomasFromCompton
    Jan 8, 2006
    Like what S Latrelle said, don't bother to vote if you aren't givin it 10 because that is the only score it deserves. Marvelous, Brilliant, Fabulous, 10/10
  55. aa
    Jan 7, 2006
    Its simply the best
  56. RichardJ
    Dec 31, 2005
    First up I'm old school. But my kids are big hip hop fans. And when something is good it does get my attention too. I try to relate to them to have a good ear and develop good tastes in every aspect of their lives. I remind them of the disco age and how some of that music is so ignorable now, (they wonder how could you have listened to THAT) but the same the is true for so much of First up I'm old school. But my kids are big hip hop fans. And when something is good it does get my attention too. I try to relate to them to have a good ear and develop good tastes in every aspect of their lives. I remind them of the disco age and how some of that music is so ignorable now, (they wonder how could you have listened to THAT) but the same the is true for so much of the music that's rammed down their throats today. Toxic waste ain't good for the body or the mind. Industies have profitted off people for generations by dumping pure trash on people. And such is the state of the entertainment industry also. As long as I'm getting paid, is the motto, I guess. Sooner or later, in time I knew a great musician would come along for thier generation and have something to offer them, that wasn't destrucion of them (body & soul) for profit. Upon first listening of first John Legend's first CD, then later Kanye's own Late Registration, over and over..... and over. I just got around to listening to the College Dropout CD, so I'm definitely not comparing one to the other.I think that the musician and the next wave of conscious and creative thought provoking and concerned musicians may have arrived. I think sometimes music critics, like movie critics have subjected themselves to far too much of inferior product to know the real thing when they see it sometime. Yeah, I been waiting for "THE ONE". Expand
  57. DanielC
    Dec 29, 2005
    Great Album. Much better than "College Droput."
  58. James>>>
    Dec 27, 2005
    It is just great
  59. Hervin........
    Dec 27, 2005
    I think that Kanye West is one of the few artists that puts her all into albums.Heis rhymes is so amazing and it is the truth .
  60. SLatrelle
    Dec 18, 2005
    Man you've got to be either stupid or the un-informed percentage of people who don't understand hip hop. Man I've strived my entire life to write, record, and perform music; and I am very good. This guy, Kanye West, is a genius and a living legend in our midst and all people can say is that he's ARROGANT!!!!!! Ever heard of Mozart; I'm sure you have...and by the Man you've got to be either stupid or the un-informed percentage of people who don't understand hip hop. Man I've strived my entire life to write, record, and perform music; and I am very good. This guy, Kanye West, is a genius and a living legend in our midst and all people can say is that he's ARROGANT!!!!!! Ever heard of Mozart; I'm sure you have...and by the way....he was stubborn and arrogant. But guess what....it doesn't negate the fact that he was a d_mn genius. If you want to know what hip hop really is BUY THIS ALBUM!!!!! This gentleman, West, has lyrics that are street and conscious but hip and still clever--Amazing! And Honestly, I don't know if his beats are better than his lyrics....and you KNOW he's a hip hop beat guru. I'll say this and put every thing on it......Right now this man represents the highest level of evolution for Rap Music. He single handedly changed the SOUND of Hip Hop. He managed to muscle in that so so familiar college-boy dress code. Dude got a mascot. Again, lyrics are premium. Plus he's got persiverence like no other....remember THROUGH THE WIRE. People......if you ain't gon' give this album a 10, don't bother to vote. Go review some plain Rap like Baby a.k.a. Birdman, or Master P, or some other shallow-content music. Finally, let me say this. I'm growing as a Christian day after day. So, I don't agree with everything West says in his music. But I believe that his music is shaping and foreshadowing music to come; and not just Rap. Music will become more positive and conscious and and at the same time it'll be hip. Or at least I'm hoping. God Bless everyone. P.S. If you're reviewing an album DON'T say that a song is not good b/c of a chorus or a particular melody; that's being presumptuous. These songs are works of art so you just have to listen an learn to enjoy them for what they are. That's like looking at a van Gogh and saying...."Huh, its a pity that he didn't use more green in this picture." An artist can do what he wants to do its his art, you just have to appreciate his artistic expression. Artists aren't interested in making songs the way you like to hear them, they're expressing THEIR gifts not yours. Peace!!! For real this time. Expand
  61. LDot
    Dec 17, 2005
    Brilliant.
  62. KEvinA
    Dec 16, 2005
    This CD is spectacular... from every track to every verse, Kanye did it again.
  63. bobbobson
    Dec 16, 2005
    This album is excellent. Definitely one of the very best albums of the year. Every song is excellent (except for the bonus track you get in the UK version WE CAN MAKE IT BETTER. that track has such an awful chorus it just totally ruins the song). The best track on the album is ROSES. I have listened to it about 30 times and counting. It also fixes some of the flaws of The College Dropout This album is excellent. Definitely one of the very best albums of the year. Every song is excellent (except for the bonus track you get in the UK version WE CAN MAKE IT BETTER. that track has such an awful chorus it just totally ruins the song). The best track on the album is ROSES. I have listened to it about 30 times and counting. It also fixes some of the flaws of The College Dropout because he cuts the skits. TCD had far too many skits. you couldn't go a few tracks without a skit. But in this album the skits suck but there are only 4 of them. This album is really well produced and the lyrics are excellent. This album is a bit more matured and darker than TCD. THis is one of the few albums I actually continue to listen to over and over again. An essential. One of the very best of 2005. Expand
  64. kizza
    Dec 11, 2005
    This album just makes you feel good. The originality is inspiring and his rap's just flow.This is my new IT album, and will always be a classic.
  65. shandram
    Dec 8, 2005
    Kanye is a talented artist depending on what type of music you're into.I wouldn
  66. TomYeC
    Dec 6, 2005
    Yes..."what more could you ask for?...the international a**hole..."....Kanye West backed up College Dropout with a BANG!!!! 10.5/10 A must in any CD collection....Definitely a classic....Kanye the best thing that ever happened to Soul/Hip Hop since Baby Face...
  67. JustinD
    Dec 4, 2005
    All of the tracks on this album are good. he should of gotten 5 mics.
  68. LINDAG
    Nov 28, 2005
    I'm 56 and a mother of a 21/31 daughters who luv rap. They played this for me and I stole the CD from them. Takes me back in the day. Luv this generation, however, you can't make music like we did back when--so sweeties just embrace as Kanye has--let it flow. CD is Awesome--HipHop for the older folks--Can he do it again?
  69. JosephS
    Nov 26, 2005
    People say this is better than the first album because they're out of touch and they need to pretend to like at least one rap artist to compensate.
  70. staciew.
    Nov 25, 2005
    Amazing album, great beats, outstanding lyrics, go see him live too if you get a chance!
  71. MattB
    Nov 17, 2005
    There's only one thing more entertaining than listening to a bunch of "true heads" write off Kanye while playing up mediocre stuff like Blackalicious or Sage Francis, and that's listening to his work. Maybe not the unabashed genius of his debut, but there's a ton to like here, and with "Gone," he turns in his most accompished verse to date. Hate on him all you want: this is There's only one thing more entertaining than listening to a bunch of "true heads" write off Kanye while playing up mediocre stuff like Blackalicious or Sage Francis, and that's listening to his work. Maybe not the unabashed genius of his debut, but there's a ton to like here, and with "Gone," he turns in his most accompished verse to date. Hate on him all you want: this is the best Sophomore Slump in years. Expand
  72. lewanl
    Nov 16, 2005
    these songs were really god maybe because im a big fan lol so yeh its pretty good hope you get it its good
  73. AndyW
    Nov 15, 2005
    "I think I died in an accident cuz this must be heaven!!" As well as a good line that fits perfectly well in a great song, it also states what this album is like. Kanye has soul in his music, and he knows it. He tries to show it through every song he makes. Whether it's his past releases such as "Jesus Walks", or some of the new songs he's written, including the mini monologue "I think I died in an accident cuz this must be heaven!!" As well as a good line that fits perfectly well in a great song, it also states what this album is like. Kanye has soul in his music, and he knows it. He tries to show it through every song he makes. Whether it's his past releases such as "Jesus Walks", or some of the new songs he's written, including the mini monologue at the end of "Crack Music", this guy just keeps on hammering away one perfect song after the next. If you tried to put West in the middle of the field with sheep, in matter of seconds, you'd probably see them wooless, because he's made a pimp jacket out of all of the wool. He'd probably have em dancing too! The point I'm trying to get at, is that Kanye West is a master of his domain, and he should stay that way for a while, until it comes to a time where he needs to change. Even then, he'll bust out some rhymes that are so amazing, YOU'D think you died and went to heaven (hence the topic sentence!) Late Registration is the greatest rap album ever. Period! Expand
  74. TP
    Nov 10, 2005
    What the heck is all the fuss about? Seriously? Yes, Kanye West is one of the greatest producers in hip hop (see: Common's "Be") but really, is that enough of a reason to heap so much praise on a mediocre album??? Just because Kanye knows how to make some nice beats doesn't mean his album is automatically "fantastic!". His verses are, frankly, just garbage, and everyone knows What the heck is all the fuss about? Seriously? Yes, Kanye West is one of the greatest producers in hip hop (see: Common's "Be") but really, is that enough of a reason to heap so much praise on a mediocre album??? Just because Kanye knows how to make some nice beats doesn't mean his album is automatically "fantastic!". His verses are, frankly, just garbage, and everyone knows it. Yet people just pretend like nothing's wrong and call it "album of the year!", because he's a musical genius right?. Come on, be realistic. Expand
  75. ReyP
    Nov 4, 2005
    Best rap album in years. Kanye West seemingly could care less about doing what everyone else is doing. On Late Registration, he does his own thing and it is a masterpiece.
  76. onelove
    Nov 2, 2005
    Is Kanye West arrogant?--Yes. But, it Late Registration a classic?---Hell, emphatically yes! Although, he is arrogant Ii applaud and respect him as a musician because Kanye is extremely creative and fearless--when it comes to expressing his thoughts in his music. Jesus Walks!!!! Come on, how many rappers would have the courage and aptitude to express themselves about such a sensitive Is Kanye West arrogant?--Yes. But, it Late Registration a classic?---Hell, emphatically yes! Although, he is arrogant Ii applaud and respect him as a musician because Kanye is extremely creative and fearless--when it comes to expressing his thoughts in his music. Jesus Walks!!!! Come on, how many rappers would have the courage and aptitude to express themselves about such a sensitive topic. We Major (featuring Nas) is absolutely flawless! H Expand
  77. ChristopherA
    Oct 27, 2005
    Great. Fantastic beats, and brilliant production/string arrangements from Jon Brion. Kanye deserves all the acclaim he receives. "Gone" shines as a daring accomplishment.
  78. Matt
    Oct 23, 2005
    Overall it's good, but disappointing and somewhat boring. It's the best mainstream hip-hop you can get.
  79. MarshallM
    Oct 22, 2005
    some reallly good songs, but not better then his other album. " bush doesn't care about black people!" pshh, idiot.
  80. Mrs.West
    Oct 21, 2005
    I give Late Registration a 10!!! There is not a single bad song on this CD, it includes original beats, ill rhymes, and creative concepts, what more is needed? He is the only hip hop artist who is not talking about how many ho's he f**ked, and how many brothas he killed, Kan' deserves many props for such a album. He even talks about stuff that people need to hear and stuff that I give Late Registration a 10!!! There is not a single bad song on this CD, it includes original beats, ill rhymes, and creative concepts, what more is needed? He is the only hip hop artist who is not talking about how many ho's he f**ked, and how many brothas he killed, Kan' deserves many props for such a album. He even talks about stuff that people need to hear and stuff that other artists are to afraid to approach, scared for their reputation, such as in the song "Roses", Kan' says " You know the best medicine go to people thats paid, If Magic Johnson got a cure for A.I.D.'s And all the broke muthafu**as past away You tellin me if my grandma was in the N.B.A. Right now she'd be ok? But since she was just a secretary Working for the church For thirty five years Things sposed to stop right here." Do you know of any other artists who would sing about that? I think not.....Kanye gets a well deserved 10! Expand
  81. alexandertthegreat
    Oct 21, 2005
    perfect
  82. LadyofLeisure
    Oct 17, 2005
    I expected more. He created a masterpiece for Common with "Be". I don't understand why he couldn't do that same for himself. he should take a cue from Common.......step up his rhymes......ALOT. Maybe he just didn't feel he needed to try as hard for his own album. I was dissapointed. The only track I can stand to listen to entirely is "Gold Digger". Everything else is I expected more. He created a masterpiece for Common with "Be". I don't understand why he couldn't do that same for himself. he should take a cue from Common.......step up his rhymes......ALOT. Maybe he just didn't feel he needed to try as hard for his own album. I was dissapointed. The only track I can stand to listen to entirely is "Gold Digger". Everything else is ultra-high quality beat-wise but severly lagging in the lyrics department. Kanye should stick to producing. I do commend him for his honesty. Expand
  83. mikejoe
    Oct 11, 2005
    Yeah this off the heeeezeeey!
  84. XV
    Oct 11, 2005
    The ROC is still alive!
  85. AndreW
    Oct 9, 2005
    I have a masters in music (majoring in popular music) and I have listening to hip-hop for over 15 years, so I am more than qualified to review this album. To say it is the best album this year is an understatment.
  86. JakobH
    Oct 5, 2005
    Theres not a single track on this cd that you just skip by... All tracks are superb!
  87. adriano
    Oct 5, 2005
    Top Stuff, so laid back and what real hip hop is about. Rather than hearing about artists continously blabbering on about cars, bitches, and money Kanye adreeses some real issues Even with a mainstream tune like Golddigger man still gets his word across. 'My way home' could have been such a better tune if common and kanye himself had done another 2 verses, such a tease!
  88. M.Adames
    Oct 4, 2005
    This is hottness at it's best! Kay Dub is on FIRE!!!!
  89. RyanM
    Oct 1, 2005
    Late registration is a fairly good album. Not quite as well put together as college dropout. I think this album lacks the same sence of urgency that college dropout had, however it is still pretty good and worth the purchase.
  90. GeorgeBushJr.
    Sep 27, 2005
    I'm GW Bush and I approve this album! --
  91. JC
    Sep 26, 2005
    First I'd like to say that I'd give this an 8.5 if I could, but I can't... Secondly...you must realize that this album takes some listening to get used to. You probably won't like it the first time you play it through. All of you that give this album less than a 7 either need to stop hating or give the album a few more chances. I'll admit it, my first go-around, I First I'd like to say that I'd give this an 8.5 if I could, but I can't... Secondly...you must realize that this album takes some listening to get used to. You probably won't like it the first time you play it through. All of you that give this album less than a 7 either need to stop hating or give the album a few more chances. I'll admit it, my first go-around, I was very disappointed. I only liked "Gold Digger" and "Diamonds from Sierra Leone (Remix)". But after a few more listens, a few more songs grew on me..."Heard 'Em Say" is probably my favorite song on the album. "Touch the Sky", "Hey Mama", "Roses", "Bring Me Down", "Gone", "Addiction", and "Crack Music" also grew on me. "We Major" is a major letdown, its really two songs rolled into one...I mean come on, it has 2 choruses, he's not fooling anyone. "My Way Home" is half a song and I really wish Kanye dropped a verse on that. I'm starting to like "Drive Slow" too. The only songs I skip are "Late" and "Celebration". Be patient people...give the album a second, third, fourth chance if you need to...it really is a great album. Expand
  92. antonioc
    Sep 24, 2005
    Undeniably the best album in stores right now. tme late registration tops the college dropout with tracks like Addiction, Hey Mama, and Crack Music Kanye's in a class by himself
  93. Finfrosk
    Sep 24, 2005
    Kanye West is the most overrated artist in the world, this album is sh** and so was the college dropout.. Kanye can't rap, and his beats are about as boring as they come! The only highlight on this album is Gone. Ain't that ironic, cuz when Kanye is gone from music, I will be glad!
  94. DaveB
    Sep 22, 2005
    Not as good as the College Dropout, but only because Kanye set the bar so high with his debut. A solid album. Interestingly, it seems all the people who gave it bad scores are people who don't really like rap and only bought it because of the hype. Obviously if you don't appreciate the genre, you won't like the album, no matter how good it is, bitches.
  95. craigh
    Sep 22, 2005
    A album, full of top 5 hits. The only problem is the stupid skits but for example the 1st skit extends onto the song with heard em'say, the way Kanye brought them together sounds perfect with the bass and drums just starting while the the skit is finishing. There are different aspect songs, such as "roses" talking about his grandmother being ill while pointing out some flaws in life A album, full of top 5 hits. The only problem is the stupid skits but for example the 1st skit extends onto the song with heard em'say, the way Kanye brought them together sounds perfect with the bass and drums just starting while the the skit is finishing. There are different aspect songs, such as "roses" talking about his grandmother being ill while pointing out some flaws in life saying about "magic johnson having a cure for aids, so all the broke muthaf***rs past away". West also has some fast tempo stuff in touch the sky as well as "Gone" which just continues to grow on me. The diamonds remix with Jay Z is also amazing, maybe should of been brought out instead of the orginal as it hits home the problems tith trade etc as long as having one of the best rappers ever apperaing on the track. Drive Slow is another example of Common's solid album. The hit which is gonna propel the album is of course "Goldigger" the problem with this song is people don't understand the concept, west is saying not that women are goldiggers just that if you look at sum1's history it could show you what type of the person she is, i would of guessed this was wrote with Kanye speaking about his problems he now has with teh vast fortune he has gained. Celebration and Late are tracks which I don't find that good, but this still doesnt deter from giving this album full marks, just for the fact Kanye west can rap and makes beats about songs that can hit home and effect you. Expand
  96. AlbertP
    Sep 21, 2005
    Finally I can hear hip hop with style. Yeah for 'Ye
  97. GLENDAM
    Sep 20, 2005
    In a class by himself!
  98. jono
    Sep 18, 2005
    This cd is his best work ever since it shows his own on the cd
  99. Mack
    Sep 17, 2005
    Really a dissapointment. Like some others here, I purchased the album off of critical hype (bad idea). You really get about 3 to 4 decent tracks, with the other 17 tracks sitting there like useless filler. I will never understand the need for 6 skits on an album. Is this stand-up comedy or rap? Does anyone really purposefully listen to the skits thinking "wow, that's funny - and Really a dissapointment. Like some others here, I purchased the album off of critical hype (bad idea). You really get about 3 to 4 decent tracks, with the other 17 tracks sitting there like useless filler. I will never understand the need for 6 skits on an album. Is this stand-up comedy or rap? Does anyone really purposefully listen to the skits thinking "wow, that's funny - and important to the album!"? And is Bernie Mac stuttering about really that hilarious? Please, anyone, feel free to create a rap album completely void of the all-too-cliche skits! Nowhere near the genre-bending and forward thinking virtuosity displayed by OutKast. Kanye is obviously far to impressed with every word he emits, and nearly all of the lyrics are trite and superficial. A 100 rating from Rolling Stone? Please, could there be a more obvious attempt to be "cool"? And Adam Levine's inclusion - maybe Backstreet Boys could appear on the next album. If this album even receives further listening, I'll be sure to use the skip button liberally. Much of this music represents the mediocrity that prevents me from listening to much rap, and it might be one of the most overhyped for overhyping's-sake albums this year. How about attempting to break out of the genre-crippling shell (of rap itself) and making a real statement. Or just give Jon Brion the reins a little more to bring in a creative sound once and a while. Trimmed down to 5-6 songs, it could have been a wonderful stop-gap EP. Terribly dissapointing as it is. Expand
  100. zggee
    Sep 16, 2005
    Suprised more mainstream press didn't smell the cheese in this.There are a couple good tracks, but really only because of the samples used. Bought it cuzza the hype, gave it away cuz it's so slight. Whereas tracks like "Hey Ya" by Oukast or "Shanghai Masai" by Shinjuku Zulu work in a rap-for-the-masses way, but still push hip hop forward, this CD doesn't at all.

1. Feb 17, 2011
    Late Registration's salvation (and, undoubtedly, Kanye's own) are when it basks in the sunshine after the rain.
  2. Jan 3, 2011
    Each of these songs offers more exquisite details than I could earmark in twice this space, many of them literary, which the English prof's dropout son rightly claims as his calling. But secret brilliance is more likely to emerge from the sops to his hip-hop base.
  3. Late Registration can't replicate the novelty of last year's College Dropout, but otherwise, this is an impressively more mature and labored-over album.