Light & Magic

8.5

Review this album

1. ChrisT
    Dec 6, 2002
    Love it! My first taste of Ladytron won't be my last. Watch out John Foxx.
  2. gusa
    Feb 10, 2007
    Great chops every time but the album not have surprise, in every case very good to listen
  3. ChrisH
    Nov 8, 2002
    Phenomenal. It's everything 604 was and more. While there's no single god track on the album (like Playgirl), there are a variety of killer tracks from start to finish, most notably Startup Chime and The Reason Why, the two standouts on the album. If there was one reason why I couldn't give this album the perfect 10, it's the third track, 'Flicking Your Phenomenal. It's everything 604 was and more. While there's no single god track on the album (like Playgirl), there are a variety of killer tracks from start to finish, most notably Startup Chime and The Reason Why, the two standouts on the album. If there was one reason why I couldn't give this album the perfect 10, it's the third track, 'Flicking Your Switch', which sounds just a little too much like 'Oi!', the third track on Orbital's 'The Altogether'. If you have any interest in analog synths, or enjoy music by New Order, Depeche Mode, or Kraftwerk, you owe it to yourself to listen to this album. In fact, you should get this album no matter who you are. It's good. Expand
  4. ShawnM.
    Oct 24, 2002
    I just got back from the Electroclash show in Seattle, and none of the bands compared to Ladytron!!! This is some of the best new wave pop ever, retro or otherwise!!
  5. AnthonyE
    Mar 12, 2003
    I've been listening to Ladytron for a few years now, and I have to sav that I like them even more as time goes on. Their sound really gets me moving, and has inspired me to dust off my own synths for another try.

1. Q Magazine
    The occasional bit of mannered filler slows things up slightly, but elsewhere all is groovy and enigmatic hauteur. [Dec 2002, p.107]
  2. Beneath Light and Magic's molded plastic facade, it is ingenious, slyly tuneful New Wave, with buzzing synth melodies chattering at each other like packet switchers.
  3. Blender
    Ladytron's doom-laden arrangements feel as accomplished as Radiohead jamming with the Pet Shop Boys. [#10, p.120]