- Summary: Personal relationships influenced the lyrics on the fifth album produced with Rick Rubin for the alternative rock band.
- Record Label: Warner Bros.
- Genre(s): Pop/Rock, Alternative Metal, Heavy Metal, Pop-Metal
- More Details and Credits »
Q MagazineJul 27, 2012Bold stuff and proof Shinoda remains a richly talented creative force. [Aug 2012, p.103]
Jun 26, 2012I kept refreshing the page to ensure that I got the first user review in. Guys and gals, IGNORE THE CRITICS. This is LP's best album sinceI kept refreshing the page to ensure that I got the first user review in. Guys and gals, IGNORE THE CRITICS. This is LP's best album since Hybrid Theory, and one of the best rock albums EVER. The amazing thing about this album is that not one song is weak or half hearted. All of them have some quality that makes them shine. The melodies are usual LP stuff, nothing out of the ordinary. What's new is a delicious mixture of electronica which means that every song is in a genre of its own. The deaf and dumb critics, while heaping praise upon smelly, skinny rock bands who can't wear a shirt decently and whose pimples show in their music, have always derided LP. We, the fans know better. I know their lyrics get heavy handed at times - they are not the best lyricists out there. But hey, the music - that INCOMPARABLE mixture of electronica and metal, coupled to earnestness about world and emotional issues, means that even a 33 year old daddy like me can't get enough of them. So go ahead and buy it without fear. LP fans will rejoice, while other rock music fans will find a remarkably consistent album that defies categorization and sounds different from everything else out there. If you're not willing to take that chance, listen to the stream on iTunes or the various videos on YouTube. I can't get myself off this album. The new Smashing Pumpkins album is good too, but the sheer bombast and ambition of Living Things keeps calling me to it. There is something to be said for the incredibly goovy rhythm section that LP have fashioned over the years. This stuff will eat Blink 182's and David Guettas of this world for breakfast. IGNORE THE CRITICS. DECIDE FOR YOURSELF. PLEASE.… Expand
Sep 18, 2014This album is so stunningly good. It grabs you and doesn't let go. This is a rock solid listen. The only song I tend to skip over is "LiesThis album is so stunningly good. It grabs you and doesn't let go. This is a rock solid listen. The only song I tend to skip over is "Lies Greed Misery" but I respect it. I just don't love it. There's a narrative quality in the way this album is arranged. It's about pain and destruction and healing and being human(Castle of Glass). Recommend. Also, I really like Roads Untraveled. There's a lot there.… Expand
Oct 15, 2012Linkin Park made it! This album is really a pleasant surprise and a proof that Linkin Park deserve their good stature as a rock band. I loveLinkin Park made it! This album is really a pleasant surprise and a proof that Linkin Park deserve their good stature as a rock band. I love all song of this one, it's an album I can listen to over and over again. A perfect job from Linkin Park; this is gonna be one of my top contenders for the best album of 2012.… Expand
Jul 2, 2012This is a constant improvement from a thousand suns. It just takes time to listen carefully. Like A Thousand suns , this is an ALBUM. It isThis is a constant improvement from a thousand suns. It just takes time to listen carefully. Like A Thousand suns , this is an ALBUM. It is based on a certain concept . It's not like other albums with list of songs. The band is just making an attempt on adding new material, so we have to wait until the band gets the formula right .
BAND STATUS: EXPERIMENTAL… Expand
Jun 26, 2012This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1. LOST IN THE ECHO (8/10) - I really felt this song was Mike back in form. The rapping had a great flow over a heavy electronic instrumental. I loved the raw energy that Chester brought in the chorus, along with the screams. 2. IN MY REMAINS (8/10) - This song really left me wanting more. I loved the song structure of the song, and the lyrics are definitely an improvement from their first three albums.
3. BURN IT DOWN (7/10) - This song really didn't blow me away at all. It's a decent song, but it got boring really quick. 4. LIES GREED MISERY (7/10) - Another song that didn't leave a real big impression. I think this song would have been better as an instrumental.
5. I'LL BE GONE (9/10) - Some of Linkin Park's best lyrics yet. Though with all the hype going around it, I was expecting more from Owen Pallett, who did the string arrangement on the song. It may have been the quality of the rip, but I could barely make it out. 6. CASTLE OF GLASS (9.5/10) - One of a few songs that are incredibly inspired by folk. It really exceeded my expectations.
7. VICTIMIZED (10/10) - This song goes from folk music, to metalcore, to hip hop, and back to metalcore in just a short 1 minute 50 second song. It's a whole lot of song in not a whole lot of time, which is what makes this song epic. 8. ROADS UNTRAVELED (9.5/10) - A huge piano driven song with some of the most emotional lyrics I have heard from the band. 9. SKIN TO BONE (10/10) - Tied for being my favorite off of the album, this song has a death-folk feel to it, but being totally electronic. This is really Mike at his best as far as singing goes, and I hope that more stuff in the future sounds like this from them.
10. UNTIL IT BREAKS (10/10) - Again tied for being my favorite, this song goes from full on Rasta Shinoda over an electronic beat, to Chester wanting strength from the rising sun, back to Rasta Shinoda to a more organic instrumental, to Brad singing what sounds like a church hymn. It may seem random, but they totally work together really well.
11. TINFOIL / POWERLESS (9/10) - I didn't want to rate these two tracks seperately, since TINFOIL is really just the intro to POWERLESS. I love the epic feeling to it.… Expand
Jul 9, 2012Living Things is a step in a direction that sounds both familiar, and new. Now of course the old fans of LP (not true fans) will be disgustedLiving Things is a step in a direction that sounds both familiar, and new. Now of course the old fans of LP (not true fans) will be disgusted and boycott the hell out of this album. But theres still good stuff in this music that LP fans will learn to enjoy. New stuff from good artists will grow on you which this album did for me.… Expand
Jun 27, 2012My score: 1 (for Burn It Down and Lies Greed Misery)... The rest of the record SUCKS!
I really miss the band that brought us Numb, Crawling,My score: 1 (for Burn It Down and Lies Greed Misery)... The rest of the record SUCKS!
I really miss the band that brought us Numb, Crawling, Faint, In the End...… Expand
Awards & Rankings
|Sticky Fingers [Deluxe Edition] - The Rolling Stones|
|You Can Make Me Dance, Sing or Anything: 1970-1975 [Box Set] - Faces|
|Miles Davis at Newport: 1955-1975 The Bootleg Series, Vol. 4 - Miles Davis|
|Elitism for the People 1975-1978 [Box Set] - Pere Ubu|
|No Closer to Heaven - The Wonder Years|
|M3LL155X [EP] - FKA Twigs|
|Live at the Fillmore East: October 4th & 5th, 1968 [Box Set] - Sly & the Family Stone|
|That's the Spirit - Bring Me the Horizon|
|From Kinshasa - Mbongwana Star|
|The RCA Victor and T-Neck Album Masters: 1959-1983 [Box Set] - The Isley Brothers|
|Have You in My Wilderness - Julia Holter|
|John Howard & the Night Mail - John Howard & The Night Mail|
|Choose Your Weapon - Hiatus Kaiyote|
|Summertime '06 - Vince Staples|
|Something More Than Free - Jason Isbell|
|Remembering Mountains: Unheard Songs By Karen Dalton - Various Artists|
|In Colour - Jamie xx|
|The Blade - Ashley Monroe|
|The Longest River - Olivia Chaney|
|Life's Not Out to Get You - Neck Deep|