Love And Theft

8.8

Review this album

1. Sep 7, 2010
    An absolutely amazing album ! In my opinion, its Dylan's best since Blood on the Tracks (1975) and arguably one of Bobby's best three or four records. Love and Theft improves with each listen. Brilliant.
  2. RichardK
    Jan 8, 2007
    If you never really liked Dylan (like myself), you'll not like this album either. I had high hopes after seeing the critical acclaim and incrediably high ratings given this album. But as I'm learning, a high rating on Metacritic usually only means that fans of the artist find this one of his best. Sample it first before you buy. If you don't like it after sampling, save If you never really liked Dylan (like myself), you'll not like this album either. I had high hopes after seeing the critical acclaim and incrediably high ratings given this album. But as I'm learning, a high rating on Metacritic usually only means that fans of the artist find this one of his best. Sample it first before you buy. If you don't like it after sampling, save your hard earned money for something you'll like. Expand
  3. joebob
    Mar 31, 2007
    crappy sell out album, almost unlistenable
  4. AndrzejB
    May 7, 2007
    boring and unimportant
  5. BubbaHick
    Jan 7, 2006
    Bob Dylan sucks he's a fruitcake and should dye, He's like fucking Cher!!!
  6. richtones
    he should retire now1
  7. bobd
    could not be any worse
  8. StingyK
    Apr 21, 2003
    I still can't understand him. I love that he steals so much of our money!
  9. Heather
    It's simple. Bob rocks.
  10. MarkR.
    Oct 2, 2001
    Truly exceptional! In this age of cotton candy country and bubble gum pop/rock, Love and Theft is so refreshingly real. Absolutely authentic. A patchwork quilt of genius. Plus, Ol' Bob seems to be having himself a ball...which in and of itself is something to hear.
  11. AaronM.
    Sep 20, 2001
    I would first like to say, that no album is perfect, and this is no exception. It is still an absolute 10 though! Not since "Blood on the Tracks" have I been so impressed with a Dylan album as a whole.
  12. GillyS.
    Dec 2, 2001
    Super Album,Dylan Straight up,no chaser!
  13. JasperS.
    Oct 2, 2001
    some funky, some bluesy, some jazzy, some rocky it's a nice album but also very strange. So a real Dylan album.
  14. ChristopherD.
    Oct 3, 2001
    This is the most incredible, creative, haunting, melodious, folksy, bluesy, serious, humorous, bright, and dark album ever....not just by Dylan, but by anyone. I have been listening to Dylan since 1967 and feel that this is his best work ever.
  15. AlbertoC.
    Oct 3, 2001
    A great album near to 10 !
  16. robertm.
    Oct 3, 2001
    Just listening to this album is like a 20th century music class. The way he jumps from one style to the other is amazing as is the fact that it was recorded in two weeks!
  17. PeterD.
    Oct 5, 2001
    Grand Pa' Bob know what is Music ... Blues, Rock, Country, Jazz, Folk and Love Italian Friend
  18. tim
    Oct 5, 2004
    not only one of the best by dylan -- one of the best by anyone. if i could only take one song to a desert island, it would be mississippi...
  19. Botticelli'sNephew
    Oct 2, 2001
    Gets better and better with repeated llistenings.
  20. AB
    Oct 2, 2001
    An amazing journey through American music that is also extremely enjoyable. This will prove to be a very important record, remembered for ages.
  21. ArnaudC.
    Dec 20, 2001
    Un des meilleurs albums de toute sa carrière, c´est dire...
  22. tonydanza
    It's the bomb
  23. DavidH.
    Oct 2, 2001
    A record that gets better with each and every listen. It manages to maintain general cohesion whilst making you think, dance, laugh and sing at differenct intervals.
  24. JohnD.
    Oct 3, 2001
    Remarkably loving & energetic, a celebration of freedom from w/in pain, a meditation on fate & its refusal, this collection soars throughout like very few other high points in this artist's long career.
  25. robertm.
  26. BrunoCat
    Oct 5, 2001
    Mississippi is a classic 100% pure Dylan style. Sugar Baby is a masterpiece, too. The jazzy things reveal a new Dylan sensibility, that will develop in the next albums, surely greater than this incredible one.
  27. erikhaatvedt
    Oct 6, 2001
    as dylan himself said: "it's a greatest hits album"
  28. erikhaatvedt
    Oct 6, 2001
    as dylan himself said: "it's a greatest hits album"
  29. BoppadelaDivina
    Sep 30, 2001
    Be serious. Every thoughtful recording by Dylan deserves a rating (on a scale of 1-10) in the high 90s. "Love and Theft" is such a recording.
  30. DanL.
    Oct 10, 2002
    A miracle. The unlooked-for return of a genius.

1. "Love and Theft" sees Dylan roaring back from Highway 61 at full bore, reminding us -- as he did on Blonde on Blonde, The Basement Tapes, and Blood on the Tracks -- that, like him or not, there isn't anybody else who can do his job.
  2. Mojo
    An album virtually bereft of fluff and filler. [Album Of The Month] [Oct 2001, p.104]
  3. Spin
    Where [Time Out Of Mind] stared down heartbreak and mortality with somber melancholy, Love and Theft finds Dylan taking on those same themes loaded up with piss and vinegar. [Nov 2001, p.127]