Love in the Future - John Legend
8.0

Review this album

1. Sep 3, 2013
    Clearly Legend's voice has not deteriorated- it sounds as it did on his first album. Kanye stayed on as a producer on some of the songs, which matches Legend's style very well. 17 tracks and most of the songs could be strong singles for the radio. My only complaint with this record is that I would have liked more "uptempo" songs. As I listened to the album the word came to mind was "sappy."
  2. Dec 19, 2013
    John Legend is one of the most talented musicians of the current generation and he never fails to deliver an excellent album. He weaves a compelling tale about the many joys and perils of love. His voice sounds as good as ever and this album has made me realise how hard I've missed his music over the past few years. His previous project was a collaboration with the Roots and although I liked it, it contained just one original song. Luckily on this album we get plenty of brand new songs. One of the two covers on the album Open your eyes which originally was written by Bobby Caldwell was adapted by Legend with such tenacity and vigour that you'd think this song was written just for him. Together with All of me I think these two are the stand out tracks although the majority of songs are excellent. The only thing I didn't really like about this album was the Rick Ross feature. It didn't feel right on an album that's so pure R&B. A must listen for any John Legend fan and for R&B-lovers in general Expand
  3. Mar 30, 2014
    Simply put: meh. One song was really great (All Of Me), and some were ok. Like I've read from other reviews, it's sappy and could use a bit more energy in most sounds. I would need to give it another good listen before setting my judgement into sand, but John Legend is not up my alley.

1. Jan 27, 2014
    It's a hit-and-miss affair. [Oct 2013, p.105]
  2. Oct 1, 2013
    John Legend captures the intimacy of the R&B genre without sacrificing the core music, which keeps it interesting for everyone.
  3. Sep 12, 2013
    [The album] is not in the same league as his magnificent 2004 debut, Get Lifted. But Love In The Future, boasting production and writing credits by Kanye West, still has plenty of beautiful moments.