Love Lust Faith + Dreams - 30 Seconds to Mars
6.3

Review this album

1. Nov 24, 2013
    I left the terrible pop scene after realizing how terrible it was a few years back. I heard This is War in the Dragon Age trailers and I fell in love instantly. I furiously looked for more and was pleased to find so much. I have been a proud and outspoken fan of 30STM since the beginning especially since their songs helped me through some personal issues, particularly Closer to the Edge.

You can see why I was so excited when I had heard this album come out. Then I actually HEARD it. I had read that it was a bit of a departure from their usual stuff, but I shrugged it off. And I read great things about Up in the Air as well. It was sent to SPACE, so it must be good right? Those are SCIENTISTS. That was the first I listened to. "Wait wait wait. Is this 30STM? Am I listening to the right band???" It didn't live up to the hype. I listened to a few others and immediately lost interest. Months later I found a youtube video with part of Conquistador in the background and thought, "Hey that's familiar. Is that 30STM? Why haven't I heard this before?" So I looked into it and was surprised to find that it was this album. Maybe I was quick to judge. I tried again. I thought that maybe it was just those, but again and agian I was let down and left with a bad taste in my mouth. I hoped that in Love, and most ESPECIALLY in Faith and Dreams that I would find that awe inspiring rock, but it wasn't there. The final Depuis Le D├ębut was an absolute disaster. A complete and utter MESS.

It was such a MASSIVE DISAPPOINTMENT. A return to the pop that I had been so enthusiastic to reject. They did not give me that emotion or introspection I was looking for. Only disappointment. These songs are filled with repetetive beats and vapid lyrics. It was more that just a small departure. It was almost unrecognizable.

A travesty.
  2. Aug 10, 2013
    I've been an Echelon since hearing "This Is War", and after going to their earlier albums, I must say I love this band.
    As it is, most of the songs on this album aren't up to par to the standard they've set for themselves. I love the Mars that had lyrics that made you think, and had complex beats and layers. Honestly, Up In the Air made me doubtful at first, then when I start seeing lots
    of advertisements everywhere, I'm starting to get nervous, because things rarely live up to their hype.
    I love Northern Lights and City of Angels, because those two songs seem to embody the Mars I love, although City of Angels has lyrics that are somewhat shallow.
    Birth and Pyres of Varanasi are tracks I also liked, despite what seems to be mixed feelings among the fans. They were the better tracks, since the foreign influence seemed to come in for once and meld wit the music.
    Up in the Air is just straight up pop, and I did not like that at all. I wouldn't have learned the lyrics to the single if it wasn't a Mars song. Everything was so WRONG about it, and I was also disappointed about the music video--it seems that Mars is heading straight for the cultural "sex sells" industry.
    Debut de Dupuis is just a mess. When it started, I was thinking of country songs--no joke (and sorry to country lovers!) Then it went into a completely unrelated instrumental that wasn't needed (we have Birth and Pyres to compare it to--sorry, no cigar here.) Then the lullaby? Just a complete mess.
    I guess since I'm reviewing this on a song-by-song basis, I'll just list out the rest:
    -Do or Die: I rather liked this song though the lyrics were symplistic. It's fun to sing, but it doesn't have much depth. Still, one of the better tracks on here.
    -Bright Lights: Slow, repetitive, shallow. The theme in here about love is retch-inducing. Honestly, I skipped it, because after the parts when the lyrics start going "new new I couldn't listen anymore.
    -Conquistador: This is also fun to sing along to, yet the lyrics don't go as deeply as the usual Mars song.
    -The Race: Just okay. Really, the lyrics are shallow again, and can be fun to sing to, but nothing that would blow a fan away.
    -End of All Days: Just listened to the start, and I cannot recognize the band. Other than Leto's voice, there's nothing recognizeable from the band, because the style is so different, the lyrics are so...obvious, and the complexity isn't there. There isn't anything intense about this song, and I was ready to fall asleep from waiting for SOMETHING.

Jared Leto's voice hasn't failed, it's just the lyrics being sung that aren't up to par.
    I can't say anything about the synthetics or guitar or background, as my main listening is to 30STM, Imagine Dragons, and Three Days Grace (with random songs thrown in.) However, the lyrics and the feel of the songs are definitely lacking to me, so I'm really disappointed by this album.
  3. May 26, 2013
    Probably the only one, but i felt that the chanting in the background chanting was kind of pretentious itself.
    But I will say that some of the singing has improved, but still the guitars and bass are so generic that it's a snorefest through half of the "ROCK" album.

I literally skipped through some of the songs, it just was that generic and mediocre.
  4. May 21, 2013
    I was once such a fan of this band I went as far as to get a tattoo. After listening to this album, how much I regret that choice. This boring and lifeless album is a shadow of previous albums. So many times I was told to embrace their change but clearly all change is not for the best. With repetitive noises played across the whole album with no songs really offering a roar of excitement heard in 'The Kill' or 'Closer to the Edge'. With a minimal 12 songs and 3 of those consisting of nothing but a random assortment of noise, disappointment is an understatement. I am reminded of Linkin Parks 'Living Things' album... Awful. Expand
  5. May 21, 2013
    I've been a long time fan of this band. They aren't everyone's cup of tea and I understand that. What others call pretentious and derivative, I enjoy. But even I can only stomach so much. This just isn't a good album. Up in the Air, Conquistador, City of Angels, Do or Die, and maybe Bright Lights are the only reason to even listen...the first two being the only ones I really enjoyed (ironically the two that got me excited for the album). It's not that they're really bad songs. They're just boring and unremarkable in general. Big fan of the band. Disappointed in this album I've been waiting so long for. Feels more like an EP with a collection of B-sides than anything else. Expand

1. Jun 17, 2013
    Giant "woooaaahhs" abound but as with anything frantically chasing arena singalongs, Love Lust Faith + Dreams feels empty in the extreme. [Jul 2013, p.111]
  2. Jun 3, 2013
    30 Seconds to Mars' latest collection is not cloying, expansive yet often economical, approachable without being familiar. [11 May 2013, p.52]
  3. May 23, 2013
    Flawed yet with some redemption, Love Lust Faith + Dreams is a mixed effort.