Love Lust Faith + Dreams - 30 Seconds to Mars
6.3

Review this album

1. May 21, 2013
    I think this album is great. I mean every song is amazing its a different direction and I'm in love with it. Each song on the album is versatile and you'll never get bored.
  2. May 21, 2013
    Great album, so different and original. For the most part, it is a minimalistic record, so not everybody will like it. Just ridiculous those critics talking about Jordan Catalano.
  3. May 22, 2013
    This album is somewhat different then their last album but that's as expected because they change and give something new from each album. If you like their early released song from the album "Up In The Air" you will more then likely like the album a lot. I've been a 30 Seconds to Mars fan since their first album and while this isn't their best album it sure is great overall if you're a fan.
  4. Sep 30, 2013
    I just saw 30stm in concert yesterday! Great show!!! A little shorter than i would have liked, but nonetheless, a great show for an amazing album! I love how 30stm has evolved!!!
  5. May 22, 2013
    great album,i say it is quiet different from their previous works,less scream vocals,less hard rock,but it's still a fantastic album,songs including northern lights end of all days etc are great..
  6. May 23, 2013
    Love Lust Faith Dreams is a great piece of art,it has its own characteristics while still delivers the epicness that is out of this world. The band is brave enough to take this direction,and they've done that well beyond expectations. This is not their best album,but by far,it's their most unique yet. That's saying a lot, because Thirty Seconds to Mars has always been a band that embraces challenges. Expand
  7. Oct 19, 2013
    An awesome album. This album has my new fave 30STM song (Do Or Die) and other are just awesome. Do I really need to go on? Just go out and buy the damn thing
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    Happy Birthday Jared. I'm never changing the dates again. Sorry if there is typos. I'm running out of time though. I have a real connection with this album on so many levels. -The Battle Scarred Conquistador Birth (9) This is the intro track to the album but I hope Thirty Seconds To Mars doesn't get mad at me for saying that because it kind of is a hybrid between a song and a intro. I really like the bugle horns. They give the song an interesting touch.

Conquistador (9.25) I really connect with this song in alot of ways because of the scar on my neck from certain issues associated with my past and it has always been a battle for me to keep a level head so to speak. This song is really great. It speaks about how our generation is the incoming generation and how it is our duty to promote change in the right way. It also brings up the topic of black and white (ie. yin and yang) with great instrumentals and I really like that.

Up In The Air (9.25) I remember when this single came out and I was itching to hear it for like a week beforehand. I flew to LA last year because a little voice in my head told me to for various reasons. This track means alot to me along with the title of the album Love Lust Faith And Dreams because I went out there for a reason because I needed to follow my dreams and it paid off. This song was change from the old Thirty Seconds To Mars and while I needed to adjust to the new tones of the album, it has really grown on me.

City Of Angels (9.25) I remember when I landed in LA and saw all the mountains for the first time how stimulating to the brain it was. I walked around the city for like two weeks like a crazy person doing a bunch of crazy stuff because I was in the midst of a psychotic episode because that's what the medical professionals said because I am Paranoid Schizophrenic, Bipolar, and Skitzoaffective with Ideations because like 14 doctors have said I am. This song is really great I think because I was lost in the City Of Angels even though I had no real destination. Not to mention it sounds great.

The Race (9) This song to me is deep because my life has been saved for the time being by people who ruined it. The song has a good little tune I think with the electric violins in the background. I love it when the electric guitars hit. This song gets a little higher score because it is correlated with my life.

End Of All Days (9) I think this song is great because it emphasizes the Piano alot in the song. I think it's great that Thirty Seconds To Mars has faith and they emphasize that it is important to them and even though I am male and straight, Jared has great range in his vocals in this song. Jared speaks about the maniac messiah and how love is pain for him and I really relate to that because people are childish.

Pyres of Varanasi (9) This is a really great intro because is has some Arabian overtones to it which was interesting I thought. This intro was used in the Up In The Air music video which was really cool I thought. I assume Thirty Seconds To Mars sat around all day and thought of crazy ideas for it.

Bright Lights (9.25) I think this is the most calming song on the album and it really mellows me out in alot of different ways. I think it is a great accompaniment to City Of Angels. How Jared talks about a new day and a new age really gets me excited for the future of the world if something great happens to get rid of all the corruption and greed. Near the end of the song where Jared sings 'Time to live, time to love,' it really sounds good even though he is a sex icon for the pop culture industry. No Homo.

Do Or Die (9.25) This song has really great builds in the instruments as well as some great lines in the lyrics. My favorite part is when Jared starts singing about Fate and the tempo of the song changes. The music video for this song is really great I think because it promotes the triad and I am Socialist. Even though I think bad things when I see the big group of people. Because I am sick in the head.

Convergence (8.5) This is a great introduction to the Do Or Die music video but I have no idea why they didn't put it in that sequential order for the album. I guess it really doesn't matter because they are the artists and it is an interesting sound. And for the fact they add part of the album title after the end of each of the intros.

Northern Lights (9) I saw in an interview that this was Tomo's favorite song, and it's probably because of the mysterious guitar in the intro. My favorite part of this song is when Jared is talking about a Holy War like he is some sort of zealot or something. He also shows off more range in this piece. No Homo Tomo.

Depuis le Debut (9) I am giving this track a nine because of the joke Thirty Seconds To Mars is playing on their listeners that are male. When he talks about there being blood followed by the nursery music, he is stating that he likes virgins and maybe he has alot of illegitimate children, lol probably not though.
  9. May 21, 2013
    This is by far the best album by the band. I said it, they said and other people said it. It's undeniable. It's strong. It's epic. It's deep. You can realize this is lyrically personal. The best tracks here are "Do or Die", "Bright Lights", the lead single "Up in the Air" and "City of Angels". "Conquistador", although a little bit repetitive, does its job well so as "The Race". "End of All Days" is good but certainly not a highlight. Such as "Northern Lights", a track made to please fans of a heavier 30 Seconds to Mars. Some tracks, such as "Birth", give the impression of being fillers. "Depuis Le Début", for instance, was supposed to work as an incredible ending. Well... it's an ending. Not incredible though. "Convergence", although a little bit vague, works better with the concept of the album than the last track. And "Pyres of Varanasi"... that's something to discuss.
    So, the bottom line is: There are some excellent highlights songs here that are worth checking out. But buying this album should be a more delicate decision because there are eight full songs here and four "interludes". That means that 1/3 of the album could feel be a filler for you, if you don't appreciate the kind of art that Jared and his gang are trying to express through this album.
    My suggestion is, if you like the first single, to check out tracks like "Do or Die" and "City of Angels" and see how you feel about them. Next step, "Bright Lights" and "The Race" and so on.
  10. May 21, 2013
    Good. They are back with good songs but is not their best album. Some songs are incredible but just some. Anyway, it's real and Jared's voice sounds great.
  11. May 21, 2013
    I've been a long time fan of this band. They aren't everyone's cup of tea and I understand that. What others call pretentious and derivative, I enjoy. But even I can only stomach so much. This just isn't a good album. Up in the Air, Conquistador, City of Angels, Do or Die, and maybe Bright Lights are the only reason to even listen...the first two being the only ones I really enjoyed (ironically the two that got me excited for the album). It's not that they're really bad songs. They're just boring and unremarkable in general. Big fan of the band. Disappointed in this album I've been waiting so long for. Feels more like an EP with a collection of B-sides than anything else. Expand
  12. Aug 10, 2013
    I've been an Echelon since hearing "This Is War", and after going to their earlier albums, I must say I love this band.
    As it is, most of the songs on this album aren't up to par to the standard they've set for themselves. I love the Mars that had lyrics that made you think, and had complex beats and layers. Honestly, Up In the Air made me doubtful at first, then when I start seeing lots
    of advertisements everywhere, I'm starting to get nervous, because things rarely live up to their hype.
    I love Northern Lights and City of Angels, because those two songs seem to embody the Mars I love, although City of Angels has lyrics that are somewhat shallow.
    Birth and Pyres of Varanasi are tracks I also liked, despite what seems to be mixed feelings among the fans. They were the better tracks, since the foreign influence seemed to come in for once and meld wit the music.
    Up in the Air is just straight up pop, and I did not like that at all. I wouldn't have learned the lyrics to the single if it wasn't a Mars song. Everything was so WRONG about it, and I was also disappointed about the music video--it seems that Mars is heading straight for the cultural "sex sells" industry.
    Debut de Dupuis is just a mess. When it started, I was thinking of country songs--no joke (and sorry to country lovers!) Then it went into a completely unrelated instrumental that wasn't needed (we have Birth and Pyres to compare it to--sorry, no cigar here.) Then the lullaby? Just a complete mess.
    I guess since I'm reviewing this on a song-by-song basis, I'll just list out the rest:
    -Do or Die: I rather liked this song though the lyrics were symplistic. It's fun to sing, but it doesn't have much depth. Still, one of the better tracks on here.
    -Bright Lights: Slow, repetitive, shallow. The theme in here about love is retch-inducing. Honestly, I skipped it, because after the parts when the lyrics start going "new new I couldn't listen anymore.
    -Conquistador: This is also fun to sing along to, yet the lyrics don't go as deeply as the usual Mars song.
    -The Race: Just okay. Really, the lyrics are shallow again, and can be fun to sing to, but nothing that would blow a fan away.
    -End of All Days: Just listened to the start, and I cannot recognize the band. Other than Leto's voice, there's nothing recognizeable from the band, because the style is so different, the lyrics are so...obvious, and the complexity isn't there. There isn't anything intense about this song, and I was ready to fall asleep from waiting for SOMETHING.

Jared Leto's voice hasn't failed, it's just the lyrics being sung that aren't up to par.
    I can't say anything about the synthetics or guitar or background, as my main listening is to 30STM, Imagine Dragons, and Three Days Grace (with random songs thrown in.) However, the lyrics and the feel of the songs are definitely lacking to me, so I'm really disappointed by this album.
  13. May 26, 2013
    Probably the only one, but i felt that the chanting in the background chanting was kind of pretentious itself.
    But I will say that some of the singing has improved, but still the guitars and bass are so generic that it's a snorefest through half of the "ROCK" album.

I literally skipped through some of the songs, it just was that generic and mediocre.
  14. May 21, 2013
    I was once such a fan of this band I went as far as to get a tattoo. After listening to this album, how much I regret that choice. This boring and lifeless album is a shadow of previous albums. So many times I was told to embrace their change but clearly all change is not for the best. With repetitive noises played across the whole album with no songs really offering a roar of excitement heard in 'The Kill' or 'Closer to the Edge'. With a minimal 12 songs and 3 of those consisting of nothing but a random assortment of noise, disappointment is an understatement. I am reminded of Linkin Parks 'Living Things' album... Awful. Expand
  15. Nov 24, 2013
    I left the terrible pop scene after realizing how terrible it was a few years back. I heard This is War in the Dragon Age trailers and I fell in love instantly. I furiously looked for more and was pleased to find so much. I have been a proud and outspoken fan of 30STM since the beginning especially since their songs helped me through some personal issues, particularly Closer to the Edge.

You can see why I was so excited when I had heard this album come out. Then I actually HEARD it. I had read that it was a bit of a departure from their usual stuff, but I shrugged it off. And I read great things about Up in the Air as well. It was sent to SPACE, so it must be good right? Those are SCIENTISTS. That was the first I listened to. "Wait wait wait. Is this 30STM? Am I listening to the right band???" It didn't live up to the hype. I listened to a few others and immediately lost interest. Months later I found a youtube video with part of Conquistador in the background and thought, "Hey that's familiar. Is that 30STM? Why haven't I heard this before?" So I looked into it and was surprised to find that it was this album. Maybe I was quick to judge. I tried again. I thought that maybe it was just those, but again and agian I was let down and left with a bad taste in my mouth. I hoped that in Love, and most ESPECIALLY in Faith and Dreams that I would find that awe inspiring rock, but it wasn't there. The final Depuis Le Début was an absolute disaster. A complete and utter MESS.

It was such a MASSIVE DISAPPOINTMENT. A return to the pop that I had been so enthusiastic to reject. They did not give me that emotion or introspection I was looking for. Only disappointment. These songs are filled with repetetive beats and vapid lyrics. It was more that just a small departure. It was almost unrecognizable.

A travesty.

1. Jun 17, 2013
    Giant "woooaaahhs" abound but as with anything frantically chasing arena singalongs, Love Lust Faith + Dreams feels empty in the extreme. [Jul 2013, p.111]
  2. Jun 3, 2013
    30 Seconds to Mars' latest collection is not cloying, expansive yet often economical, approachable without being familiar. [11 May 2013, p.52]
  3. May 23, 2013
    Flawed yet with some redemption, Love Lust Faith + Dreams is a mixed effort.