Lulu - Lou Reed
2.1

Review this album

1. Dec 9, 2014
    Interesting. I must say, Metallica have finally succeeded... in making an album that is actually worse than St. Anger. Congratulations Metallica!

1/10.
  2. Nov 7, 2014
    Metlicca is crap now...Lars and Kirk horrible at live..now this album..never again wanna hear their music.

Terrible lyrics, horrible vocals, flat melodies, uninspired riffs, just about every misfire in the book is present on Lulu. Lars also play teribad here.! RIP Meallica
  3. Apr 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Typical for Lou Reed is the mixed feelings his music creates by the public. When I listened to 'Lulu' immediately
    I was struck by the massive presence of the sound, knowing his choice of lyrics was mostly found in literature of a kind that struck the world all over like: The Raven from Edgar Allen Poe or his story like songs from 'New York' with his bold texts about NY street life.

'Lulu' contains also lyrics in that matter in this case from Frank Wedekind's tragedy: 'Erdgeist whose work was also used in an opera from Alban Berg made in the beginning of the 20st century.

In my opinion the cooperation of Lou and Metallica was a splendid idea that created phenomenal music but with a risk of being misjudged by the majority of pop and rock fans that are familiar with heavy metal music.

Typical Lou. He learned his lesson from Andy Warhol to be very serious about what you want in life and stick to yourself and your ideas. I say listen to 'Lulu' for some time and you will get the message somehow cause the music
    has an overwhelming power and sadness to the highest degree! The loss of Lou still makes me sad but I know I'm not alone. He was a true artist and a fantastic musician that stood for his convictions and really lived his life well.
    It will take some time but 'Lulu' will be rated much higher in the future than it is now.

Aad van der Well
    The Netherlands
  4. Mar 27, 2014
    This is the first time I have a truly hated album in my entire life. When an album's not that good, there should be at least one song that is good or at least sounds good to my ears. But this... ugh. I love Lou Reed and Metallica. I guess two good things don't mix together and form another good thing.
  5. Feb 8, 2014
    It's a piece of disaster. I can't even describe how bad, awkward and wrong it is. Lou Reed?!?! Seriously?!?!
    A metal band with Lou Reed?!! How could this possible? It's a real shame after Death Magnetic. Go to hell Metallica. Don't forget; "I am the TABLE."
  6. Nov 13, 2013
    Probably the largest piece of c-rap ever made. This record is beyond bad. I dont even know what they were thinking when they made this. The equation with Lou Reed and a heavy metal band does not compute.
  7. Oct 28, 2013
    Like most experimental metal albums, Lulu take time for listeners to appreciate in fact a lot of time is needed. This is an overly long album (even by Metallica's standards) characterised by thrash metal backing tracks provided by Metallica and the ramblings of a crazy old man (RIP Lou Reed). Lyrically, the record is just poetic nonsense reminiscent of The Velvet Underground but withoutLike most experimental metal albums, Lulu take time for listeners to appreciate in fact a lot of time is needed. This is an overly long album (even by Metallica's standards) characterised by thrash metal backing tracks provided by Metallica and the ramblings of a crazy old man (RIP Lou Reed). Lyrically, the record is just poetic nonsense reminiscent of The Velvet Underground but without the humour or insight thank goodness there's very little singing from Lou Reed in the 8 minute songs. Musically, Metallica have performed some of their best compositions in years.
    Like I said at the beginning, this is a record that takes time; the songs are generally around 7 or 8 minutes (one even being 20 minutes!) and, well, this isn't exactly an "easy" listen and by that I mean you need to listen to the WHOLE record to appreciate this, otherwise the songs are just a joke and an embarrassment for both performers (well not Reed, who remembers Metal Machine Music 1975?) with rather peculiar lyrics and just plain odd musicality.
    People quite rightly hate this album, but its not the worst album ever, (it is Metallica's worst though, but its not their fault) in fact Lulu is something of an avant-garde masterpiece its a piece of work that people for years will find controversial. As a Lou Reed album, its a long haul; as a Metallica album, its an intriguing, brave piece of work that is their best musically performed album in years.
    NOTE: the "best" songs are mostly those found on Disc 2 (including the rather impressive, grand closer Junior Dad) whilst Disc 1 has only one noteworthy song opener Brandenburg Gate.
  8. Oct 10, 2013
    Far from a masterpiece but at the same time, not complete garbage. Lulu is a very mixed bag that will only be appreciated by few. I initially detested this work and wrote it off immediately. However after discovering more about Lou Reed as an artist and his work in The Velvet Underground I began to understand the type of experimental music that Lou Reed was trying to achieve withFar from a masterpiece but at the same time, not complete garbage. Lulu is a very mixed bag that will only be appreciated by few. I initially detested this work and wrote it off immediately. However after discovering more about Lou Reed as an artist and his work in The Velvet Underground I began to understand the type of experimental music that Lou Reed was trying to achieve with Metallica. Metallica's riffs are pretty solid and heavy and if further developed could be groundwork for a pretty cool album. Lou Reeds voice is just as it has always sounded, powerful yet monotone. Fans of Lou Reed would understand exactly what I'm talking about but if you don't, listen to a couple Lou Reed songs. The production on the album is mediocre, Lou Reeds vocals aren't very distinguishable which is a damn shame since he is definitely flexing his poetic muscle in this album. As a longtime Metallica fan I was able to appreciate what they brought to the (ready for it....) table (yeah I just made a Lulu pun, look up I am the table on YouTube) and appreciated that they were going for a heavy feel for the simplistic riffs. Overall, the album has its highlights like "The View", "Iced Honey" and "Dragon" but fails to execute a lot of what it wanted to do. If you're into experimental music, you'll like this album, and remember to keep an open mind when listening to it. Expand
  9. Sep 6, 2013
    This album is weird. Not in a good sense, either. First of all, we need to take Metallica out of the equation, since they are basically session men here perhaps the greatest limit of Lulu is that it doesn't use all its creative resources. Even weirder, Metallica here are playing some sort of slow-paced hard rock, which is clearly not their thing. Lou Reed is, as expected, baffling. HeThis album is weird. Not in a good sense, either. First of all, we need to take Metallica out of the equation, since they are basically session men here perhaps the greatest limit of Lulu is that it doesn't use all its creative resources. Even weirder, Metallica here are playing some sort of slow-paced hard rock, which is clearly not their thing. Lou Reed is, as expected, baffling. He doesn't sing (can he?), but still manages to speak out of tune and to slip completely off the beat in many occasions. This adds up to an unusual listening experience, which provides nice moments of intellectual satisfaction and a couple of intense, theatrical lines delivered by Mr. Reed. The shorter songs are quite enjoyable (powerhouse The View is the highlight of the album), but they are just not enough to redeem Lulu. Expand
  10. Oct 29, 2012
    This is one of the worst albums of 2011 and that is saying something. I have no idea where Metallica got this idea to do this album with Lou Reed would be a good idea, seriously? They could of been doing the next best Metallica album but instead they did Lulu.....Metallica I'm disappoint
  11. Oct 11, 2012
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to join the long list of people who consider this album absolute crap. I've tried. Many times. But no, I can't get it. Right from the opening track, James Hetfield appears to be taking the piss out of himself.

Metallica throw their instruments around the room, while Lou Reed talks over it. Utterly boring. If this were the first album that today's

If this were the first album that today's youth heard of Metallica's, or indeed of Lou Reed's, they would forever foresake their earlier output, which would be a terrible shame.
  12. Aug 30, 2012
    When The View was released I hoped it was the worst song of the album. It was horrible listening to such a lament (and the lyrics? I am the table? Who the hell wrote that?). But listening to the whole album was also worse. Little Dog is one of the worst songs I have ever listened to. It seems that Lou Reed had stomachache while "singing". Awful. I hope Metallica's 2013 record will beWhen The View was released I hoped it was the worst song of the album. It was horrible listening to such a lament (and the lyrics? I am the table? Who the hell wrote that?). But listening to the whole album was also worse. Little Dog is one of the worst songs I have ever listened to. It seems that Lou Reed had stomachache while "singing". Awful. I hope Metallica's 2013 record will be great, so I will forget this album. Expand
  13. Jun 20, 2012
    Personally, the instruments sound awesome (because it's Metallica). They always sound good. It's the singing/talking that drives me wild. I mean, it's ok, but it just gets creepy after you listen to it for a while. So basically, the 5 comes from the Metallica part of the album, where as the other 5 that aren't there come from the Lou Reed part of the album.
  14. Jun 11, 2012
    I AM THE TABLE!!!! lol Lou Reed you are the master troll. Metallica ALMOST redeemed themselves with Death Magnetic but now they're back to being the lowly sellouts they were always destined to become -_- RIP Metallica 1981-1992, 2008-2010
  15. May 25, 2012
    While I can understand what Metallica and Lou Reed tried to do on this record, their sounds are too different to fit well together. This album sounds like Lou Reed reciting dark, and unappealing poems that he had written, while Metallica can be heard jamming in the background and it ends up sounding like a mess. I gave this album several chances to grow on me but it truly is a waste ofWhile I can understand what Metallica and Lou Reed tried to do on this record, their sounds are too different to fit well together. This album sounds like Lou Reed reciting dark, and unappealing poems that he had written, while Metallica can be heard jamming in the background and it ends up sounding like a mess. I gave this album several chances to grow on me but it truly is a waste of time and a poor collaboration between very accomplished musicians. The only thing keeping this from a 1/10 is "Iced Honey", which is actually more or less listenable. Expand
  16. Apr 20, 2012
    Why Mettalica? One of the greatest bands of all time falls into the greasy hands of the old geaser Lou Reed. He talks, not sings, and you would not be able to tell this was Mettalica. For the die hard fans, my heart goes out to you, haha. But really, everything is garbage, I respect a change from the hard rocking band, but I did expect a change that was higher in quality than this.
  17. Mar 26, 2012
    I remember listening to this album for the first time and literally laughing. I thought it was a joke, I hope it is, because if Lou Reed and Metallica seriously thought this was a good album then they BOTH need to hang it up. Terrible lyrics, horrible vocals, flat melodies, uninspired riffs, just about every misfire in the book is present on Lulu. I am giving it a 1 because, as II remember listening to this album for the first time and literally laughing. I thought it was a joke, I hope it is, because if Lou Reed and Metallica seriously thought this was a good album then they BOTH need to hang it up. Terrible lyrics, horrible vocals, flat melodies, uninspired riffs, just about every misfire in the book is present on Lulu. I am giving it a 1 because, as I mentioned, it made me laugh, and that has to count for something. Expand
  18. Mar 8, 2012
    A bigger disaster, this album, Lulu is horrible, I don't like the music of Metallica, but I believe that is a great band, but my problem is that I like the music of Lou Reed, but this CD is terrible.
  19. Jan 3, 2012
    It has the balls to not be conventional, and it has some decent songs where the two seemingly opposite Lou and Metallica find a common ground. Not a great album but far from the utter failure most people claim it is. The production of the record, IMO, if better could have improved the final result of the mixed styles.
  20. Jan 3, 2012
    This is the worst album of 2011. Metallica seems to be playing a uninspired jam session with Lou Reed mumbling bad poetry to another tune. Both made a great contribution to music and maybe we should just forget that this ever happened.
  21. Dec 30, 2011
    NO METALLICA NO NO NO YOU WERE THE BEST METAL BAND IN THE WORLD AND YOU WENT AND RELEASED PURE GARBAGE LIKE THIS! LOU REED DOESN'T EVEN SINGS HE TALKS AND COMPLAINS LIKE AN OLD MAN!
  22. Dec 18, 2011
    Once I heard the first line from the first song, which was "I would cut my legs and **** off", I immediately turned it off! Worst collaboration in the history of rock! Rob Zombie and Lionel Richie can breathe a sigh of relief! Like come on, "I'm Am the Table" What the hell does that mean??? And no I would not like "Iced Honey" its disgusting!!!
  23. Dec 18, 2011
    Unintentionally kitsch, laughably awful, and more than just a little misguided; I'm honestly in shock that album was allowed to exist. In a normal review I might detail each track one by one, but in this case that is very unnecessary. Simply put, Lulu is Lou Reed reading pretentious poetry over some of the most forgettable music Metallica has crafted. Attempting something new should beUnintentionally kitsch, laughably awful, and more than just a little misguided; I'm honestly in shock that album was allowed to exist. In a normal review I might detail each track one by one, but in this case that is very unnecessary. Simply put, Lulu is Lou Reed reading pretentious poetry over some of the most forgettable music Metallica has crafted. Attempting something new should be applauded, however, I hope all parties involved are embarrassed with this effort and never produce anything like it again. Expand
  24. Dec 10, 2011
    Lou Reed SUCKS!!! You think i'll buy it?? Hell NO! I would just download it and hear em all and delete it eventually! It sucks!! F#CK THAT! I know its a collaboration album.. Well it sucks! and TH1RT3EN was like 10 times better! And i Just hope their new album like they promised will be better and also better than Death Magnetic.. Possible similiarly to their 80s album! I JUST HOPE!!! AndLou Reed SUCKS!!! You think i'll buy it?? Hell NO! I would just download it and hear em all and delete it eventually! It sucks!! F#CK THAT! I know its a collaboration album.. Well it sucks! and TH1RT3EN was like 10 times better! And i Just hope their new album like they promised will be better and also better than Death Magnetic.. Possible similiarly to their 80s album! I JUST HOPE!!! And their fans will keep in touch with Metallica back like before back in the 80s! The "THRASHING" stops right after The Black Album! Load was Nonsence! ReLoad was ReNonsence! St. Anger... hmm.. The most worst album ever heard by the Heavy Metal Legends! As for Death Magnetic.. I Like it! Cause it kinda bring back their rocking! But could be better! What bothers me the most is that James voice is dead.. :( But well He's old now.. But if you look at Bruce Dickinson.. He's voice just stays the same! Well why can't James?!?!?! I just hope! I JUST HOPE! that their next album would bring back to the 80s! I really want that alot! Come on! We also wants this guy back....... JASON NEWSTED!!!! What i'm trying to say is that we all WANT THE OLD METALLICA FOR GOD SAKE!! Like the time when they were in Moscow (1991)!! That really blows me away! 100 over 100!!! I still love Metallica!! That is because they mae songs that reminds me of the memories you know! m/ Metallica m/ LULU'S CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  25. Dec 9, 2011
    Total, absolute masterpiece. Certainly within the top 10 albums I have ever heard and I have been an avid music fan for 35 years. It is an acquired taste. It is very different and challenging. The lyrics are as good as anything I've ever listened to or read. High art. Great literature. The music is utterly driven and intense but still manages to find space where space is needed. EveryTotal, absolute masterpiece. Certainly within the top 10 albums I have ever heard and I have been an avid music fan for 35 years. It is an acquired taste. It is very different and challenging. The lyrics are as good as anything I've ever listened to or read. High art. Great literature. The music is utterly driven and intense but still manages to find space where space is needed. Every single track has depth and its own sense of being, but Junior Dad stands out as a milestone in rock music. This is a truly astonishing album that stretches boundaries and the listener. It's like nothing I've ever heard before and I would rank it in the same league as the work of The Velvet Underground, which is the highest praise I can give it. Expand
  26. Dec 5, 2011
    I dont know what to say of this album. Lou Reed and Metallica, separately, are both awesome. But this album left me confused. The music is without doubt very good. But the singing part (or the speaking part actually) is what i dont get. It confuses me.. Creeps Me out. I tried to expand my taste in music and hear this album but its not what i want!
  27. Nov 30, 2011
    Lulu has two alright songs on it, the songs that are alright are "Iced Honey" and "Cheat on Me" the rest of the album is just **** The lyrics for the album are just rubbish, such as, in the song "Frustration" Lou says some like "Kiss your breast and toes" what **** idiot would say that? The man is a wanker and Metallica are dick heads for working with him! What ever you do, don't wasteLulu has two alright songs on it, the songs that are alright are "Iced Honey" and "Cheat on Me" the rest of the album is just **** The lyrics for the album are just rubbish, such as, in the song "Frustration" Lou says some like "Kiss your breast and toes" what **** idiot would say that? The man is a wanker and Metallica are dick heads for working with him! What ever you do, don't waste your money on this bull****, buy something better. But i do recommend listening to the album on youtube for a laugh. Expand
  28. Nov 28, 2011
    This is an absolute joke of an album. It sounds like an old man reciting bad poetry over his grandson's garage band. I could go off on a lot of rants regarding Metallica releases in the last 2 decades, but I will stick to this album alone: It is trash. Artistically, it offers nothing to the listener. Musically it is a grungy mess of off beat noise. There is really no reason to buyThis is an absolute joke of an album. It sounds like an old man reciting bad poetry over his grandson's garage band. I could go off on a lot of rants regarding Metallica releases in the last 2 decades, but I will stick to this album alone: It is trash. Artistically, it offers nothing to the listener. Musically it is a grungy mess of off beat noise. There is really no reason to buy this album, or even steal it, to be quite honest. There is no reason to add this album to your collection, not for Lou Reed, not for Metallica, not as a joke. Collapse
  29. Nov 26, 2011
    So many people have come out against this album and I really don't understand why. Lou Reed's albums are all one large work, each song compliments the others. I think its really incredible how easily Metallica fit into his style. The album is challenging and engaging if you give it the time it deserves to be absorbed.

1. Jan 10, 2012
    The shock in this collaboration is that it sounds savagely natural. [Dec. 2011, p.93]
  2. Dec 13, 2011
    Occasionally it's so insane that you can't help but be swept along with it. Mostly, however, it's so over the top the more likely reaction is to run it off and make sure you don't hear it again in a hurry. [Dec. 2011 p. 122]
  3. Dec 8, 2011
    Metallica's unrelenting sledgehammer style works as the perfect complement to Reed's vision of compassionless love, with monolithic chords deployed with almost surgical precision wile he dissects relationships w of masochism and power. [Dec 2011, p.63]