2.3

Review this album

1. Nov 7, 2017
    It's not the worst thing ever stuffed into my ears, to Metallica's credit they do have some decent riffs and song progressions here and there. However, the album's content is rather weak and unsatisfactory for a 95-minute running time, and the vocals of Lou Reed and James Hetfield mash terribly here. While not impressed with the lyrical structure of the album, the content is quite deep andIt's not the worst thing ever stuffed into my ears, to Metallica's credit they do have some decent riffs and song progressions here and there. However, the album's content is rather weak and unsatisfactory for a 95-minute running time, and the vocals of Lou Reed and James Hetfield mash terribly here. While not impressed with the lyrical structure of the album, the content is quite deep and I can appreciate Reed's effort even if it rarely mixes decently into the mix. There are some glistens of gold in the album, like in "Iced Honey" and "Junior Dad", but they are rare to find and don't hold up to much of anything these artists made in the past.

I am very open to band experimentation and as such I could admire the different things these artists did, but I feel that the execution of Lulu was, as a whole, poor. These artists rarely work perfectly in unison together and the songs drag on for way too long, and the whole thing feels sloppy and at points unfinished as a result. It at times feels like I'm listening to a really bad demo tape. Lou Reed's poetry isn't really for everyone and it hardly works in the mix of Lulu if at all, and James Hetfield's backing vocals don't really elevate my respects for either singer. Really, the whole album just sounds like an experimentation that we were never meant to actually hear.

This is a far cry from Metallica's best or Lou Reed's best, but I don't believe that it's a 100% terrible record. Looking past the collaboration choice and the presented flaws of the album, Metallica does occasionally throw out music that is pleasant and even entertaining on the ears, and the lyrics can get quite introspective and agreeable at times, but all the good stuff is rather rare and it doesn't come by often enough to really compensate for the worse parts of this record. It's a shame really because I thought that a project like Lulu had a lot of unrealized potential.

Is Lulu completely awful? No, but unless you're really into Lou Reed's works you have little reason to visit the album. Unless the Metallica fan in question is really open to experimentation, they shouldn't take a gander at this thing.
  2. Dec 1, 2016
    Lou Reed and Metallica has brought something never done in music history. Reed's eccentric poetry fits in with the thrash metal riffs and experimental sounds made by Hetfield, Ulrich and company. I know, both artists risked doing Lulu and it's need more than one hearing to appreciate this work. Also, this album is not for everyone.
  3. Nov 10, 2016
    Oh god what was this I have listened to so much Metallica and yes it is obvious that in recent years there music has been getting worse but this is the peak it surely can't get worse than this. I wanted to turn this off please don't listen to this album if you do you'll instantly regret it.
  4. Aug 21, 2016
    I am the table. Really? What was this album? Lou Reed was just talking while Metallica played some riffs in the background. Embarrassing. One of the worst albums ever.
  5. Mar 26, 2016
    You know how there are a number of films such as The Room, Birdemic and Troll 2 that are infamous for being "so bad they're good"? Well this piece of work right here is quite possibly the musical equivalent of any of those films. There may not be as much ironic enjoyment to be found here as those films, but there are unintentionally funny moments, particularly in the lyrics, and "I am theYou know how there are a number of films such as The Room, Birdemic and Troll 2 that are infamous for being "so bad they're good"? Well this piece of work right here is quite possibly the musical equivalent of any of those films. There may not be as much ironic enjoyment to be found here as those films, but there are unintentionally funny moments, particularly in the lyrics, and "I am the table!" is as widely quoted in the metal community as "You're tearing me apart, Lisa!" is in the best-worst movie community. That humour is what stops the album from being rated a flat out 1.

This project would have served better had Metallica not played on or slapped their name on it. Had it simply been a "Lou Reed" album, it would have sounded better musically and would have been enjoyed thoroughly by his fans. Metalica, on the other hand, need to learn when to say "no" if a collaboration is quite obviously not going to work. Maybe they're getting a little too much of the blame though, considering they didn't write the lyrics or compose all the music; they mostly serve as a backing band with some backup vocals here and there from James Hetfield which sound completely out of place with Reed.

If you're more into Metallica than Lou Reed you will not be able to take this seriously. Maybe save it for a drunken night where you're walking best-worst films and need some suitable background music in between the films.
  6. Feb 12, 2016
    Honestly, Lulu is so bad that there really isn't much I can say about it. There is virtually nothing on the album worth listening to, with the very best offering sitting well below St. Anger's worst. The poetry is awful and doesn't fit with the music, nor does Lou Reeds droning voice chatting away above recycled garbage riffs. The high points are, predictably, where Lou Reed shuts his trapHonestly, Lulu is so bad that there really isn't much I can say about it. There is virtually nothing on the album worth listening to, with the very best offering sitting well below St. Anger's worst. The poetry is awful and doesn't fit with the music, nor does Lou Reeds droning voice chatting away above recycled garbage riffs. The high points are, predictably, where Lou Reed shuts his trap for two whole seconds for James Hetfield to shout out something irrevocably stupid like "I AM THE TABLE". If I had to say something positive about Lulu, it would be that the production was an improvement from Death Magnetic. Then again, it'd be very difficult for it not to be given how horrendous the production on Death Magnetic was. There isn't a single positive thing I can say about the song writing here. It's all awful beyond any belief, and there isn't a single song worth listening to here. If I had to pick one song, I'd pick The View, if only because Metallica's parts are slightly more frequent on this song, and all of the inanimate objects James Hetfield insists he is in the latter half of the song. Final verdict? Avoid this album like the god damn plague. Do NOT waste your money on this. Do not even ENCOURAGE this kind of behavior from musicians like Metallica. Dig a grave, bury this album alongside the now very dead Lou Reed (do you think Lulu was so bad it killed him?) and pretend this atrocity never existed in the first place - and maybe, just maybe, Metallica can salvage their reputation on their next non-collaborative effort. Expand
  7. Aug 2, 2015
    i BUYED THIS CD, THINKING IT WAS A VERY GOOD ONE. BUT IT WAS STINKING!!! DO NOT BUY IT. iT IS ONE OF THE WORST CD THAT I'VE HEARD IN MY LIFE. LOU REED SHOULD HAVE TO BE NOT A SINGER, BUT OTHER JOB OUT OF MUSIC.
  8. Jan 19, 2015
    What happened? Honestly, I thought at first I was listening to an old man talking throughout the whole album instead of actually singing. But actually, I wasn't dreaming. Oh well...
  9. Nov 7, 2014
    Metlicca is crap now...Lars and Kirk horrible at live..now this album..never again wanna hear their music.

Terrible lyrics, horrible vocals, flat melodies, uninspired riffs, just about every misfire in the book is present on Lulu. Lars also play teribad here.! RIP Meallica
  10. Apr 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Typical for Lou Reed is the mixed feelings his music creates by the public. When I listened to 'Lulu' immediately
    I was struck by the massive presence of the sound, knowing his choice of lyrics was mostly found in literature of a kind that struck the world all over like: The Raven from Edgar Allen Poe or his story like songs from 'New York' with his bold texts about NY street life.

'Lulu' contains also lyrics in that matter in this case from Frank Wedekind's tragedy: 'Erdgeist whose work was also used in an opera from Alban Berg made in the beginning of the 20st century.

In my opinion the cooperation of Lou and Metallica was a splendid idea that created phenomenal music but with a risk of being misjudged by the majority of pop and rock fans that are familiar with heavy metal music.

Typical Lou. He learned his lesson from Andy Warhol to be very serious about what you want in life and stick to yourself and your ideas. I say listen to 'Lulu' for some time and you will get the message somehow cause the music
    has an overwhelming power and sadness to the highest degree! The loss of Lou still makes me sad but I know I'm not alone. He was a true artist and a fantastic musician that stood for his convictions and really lived his life well.
    It will take some time but 'Lulu' will be rated much higher in the future than it is now.

Aad van der Well
    The Netherlands
  11. Mar 27, 2014
    This is the first time I have a truly hated album in my entire life. When an album's not that good, there should be at least one song that is good or at least sounds good to my ears. But this... ugh. I love Lou Reed and Metallica. I guess two good things don't mix together and form another good thing.
  12. Feb 8, 2014
    It's a piece of disaster. I can't even describe how bad, awkward and wrong it is. Lou Reed?!?! Seriously?!?!
    A metal band with Lou Reed?!! How could this possible? It's a real shame after Death Magnetic. Go to hell Metallica. Don't forget; "I am the TABLE."
  13. Nov 13, 2013
    Probably the largest piece of c-rap ever made. This record is beyond bad. I dont even know what they were thinking when they made this. The equation with Lou Reed and a heavy metal band does not compute.
  14. Oct 28, 2013
    Like most experimental metal albums, Lulu take time for listeners to appreciate in fact a lot of time is needed. This is an overly long album (even by Metallica's standards) characterised by thrash metal backing tracks provided by Metallica and the ramblings of a crazy old man (RIP Lou Reed). Lyrically, the record is just poetic nonsense reminiscent of The Velvet Underground but withoutLike most experimental metal albums, Lulu take time for listeners to appreciate in fact a lot of time is needed. This is an overly long album (even by Metallica's standards) characterised by thrash metal backing tracks provided by Metallica and the ramblings of a crazy old man (RIP Lou Reed). Lyrically, the record is just poetic nonsense reminiscent of The Velvet Underground but without the humour or insight thank goodness there's very little singing from Lou Reed in the 8 minute songs. Musically, Metallica have performed some of their best compositions in years.
    Like I said at the beginning, this is a record that takes time; the songs are generally around 7 or 8 minutes (one even being 20 minutes!) and, well, this isn't exactly an "easy" listen and by that I mean you need to listen to the WHOLE record to appreciate this, otherwise the songs are just a joke and an embarrassment for both performers (well not Reed, who remembers Metal Machine Music 1975?) with rather peculiar lyrics and just plain odd musicality.
    People quite rightly hate this album, but its not the worst album ever, (it is Metallica's worst though, but its not their fault) in fact Lulu is something of an avant-garde masterpiece its a piece of work that people for years will find controversial. As a Lou Reed album, its a long haul; as a Metallica album, its an intriguing, brave piece of work that is their best musically performed album in years.
    NOTE: the "best" songs are mostly those found on Disc 2 (including the rather impressive, grand closer Junior Dad) whilst Disc 1 has only one noteworthy song opener Brandenburg Gate.
  15. Oct 10, 2013
    Far from a masterpiece but at the same time, not complete garbage. Lulu is a very mixed bag that will only be appreciated by few. I initially detested this work and wrote it off immediately. However after discovering more about Lou Reed as an artist and his work in The Velvet Underground I began to understand the type of experimental music that Lou Reed was trying to achieve withFar from a masterpiece but at the same time, not complete garbage. Lulu is a very mixed bag that will only be appreciated by few. I initially detested this work and wrote it off immediately. However after discovering more about Lou Reed as an artist and his work in The Velvet Underground I began to understand the type of experimental music that Lou Reed was trying to achieve with Metallica. Metallica's riffs are pretty solid and heavy and if further developed could be groundwork for a pretty cool album. Lou Reeds voice is just as it has always sounded, powerful yet monotone. Fans of Lou Reed would understand exactly what I'm talking about but if you don't, listen to a couple Lou Reed songs. The production on the album is mediocre, Lou Reeds vocals aren't very distinguishable which is a damn shame since he is definitely flexing his poetic muscle in this album. As a longtime Metallica fan I was able to appreciate what they brought to the (ready for it....) table (yeah I just made a Lulu pun, look up I am the table on YouTube) and appreciated that they were going for a heavy feel for the simplistic riffs. Overall, the album has its highlights like "The View", "Iced Honey" and "Dragon" but fails to execute a lot of what it wanted to do. If you're into experimental music, you'll like this album, and remember to keep an open mind when listening to it. Expand
  16. Sep 6, 2013
    This album is weird. Not in a good sense, either. First of all, we need to take Metallica out of the equation, since they are basically session men here perhaps the greatest limit of Lulu is that it doesn't use all its creative resources. Even weirder, Metallica here are playing some sort of slow-paced hard rock, which is clearly not their thing. Lou Reed is, as expected, baffling. HeThis album is weird. Not in a good sense, either. First of all, we need to take Metallica out of the equation, since they are basically session men here perhaps the greatest limit of Lulu is that it doesn't use all its creative resources. Even weirder, Metallica here are playing some sort of slow-paced hard rock, which is clearly not their thing. Lou Reed is, as expected, baffling. He doesn't sing (can he?), but still manages to speak out of tune and to slip completely off the beat in many occasions. This adds up to an unusual listening experience, which provides nice moments of intellectual satisfaction and a couple of intense, theatrical lines delivered by Mr. Reed. The shorter songs are quite enjoyable (powerhouse The View is the highlight of the album), but they are just not enough to redeem Lulu. Expand
  17. Oct 29, 2012
    This is one of the worst albums of 2011 and that is saying something. I have no idea where Metallica got this idea to do this album with Lou Reed would be a good idea, seriously? They could of been doing the next best Metallica album but instead they did Lulu.....Metallica I'm disappoint
  18. Oct 11, 2012
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to join the long list of people who consider this album absolute crap. I've tried. Many times. But no, I can't get it. Right from the opening track, James Hetfield appears to be taking the piss out of himself.

Metallica throw their instruments around the room, while Lou Reed talks over it. Utterly boring. If this were the first album that today's

If this were the first album that today's youth heard of Metallica's, or indeed of Lou Reed's, they would forever foresake their earlier output, which would be a terrible shame.
  19. Aug 30, 2012
    When The View was released I hoped it was the worst song of the album. It was horrible listening to such a lament (and the lyrics? I am the table? Who the hell wrote that?). But listening to the whole album was also worse. Little Dog is one of the worst songs I have ever listened to. It seems that Lou Reed had stomachache while "singing". Awful. I hope Metallica's 2013 record will beWhen The View was released I hoped it was the worst song of the album. It was horrible listening to such a lament (and the lyrics? I am the table? Who the hell wrote that?). But listening to the whole album was also worse. Little Dog is one of the worst songs I have ever listened to. It seems that Lou Reed had stomachache while "singing". Awful. I hope Metallica's 2013 record will be great, so I will forget this album. Expand
  20. Jun 20, 2012
    Personally, the instruments sound awesome (because it's Metallica). They always sound good. It's the singing/talking that drives me wild. I mean, it's ok, but it just gets creepy after you listen to it for a while. So basically, the 5 comes from the Metallica part of the album, where as the other 5 that aren't there come from the Lou Reed part of the album.
  21. Jun 11, 2012
    I AM THE TABLE!!!! lol Lou Reed you are the master troll. Metallica ALMOST redeemed themselves with Death Magnetic but now they're back to being the lowly sellouts they were always destined to become -_- RIP Metallica 1981-1992, 2008-2010
  22. May 25, 2012
    While I can understand what Metallica and Lou Reed tried to do on this record, their sounds are too different to fit well together. This album sounds like Lou Reed reciting dark, and unappealing poems that he had written, while Metallica can be heard jamming in the background and it ends up sounding like a mess. I gave this album several chances to grow on me but it truly is a waste ofWhile I can understand what Metallica and Lou Reed tried to do on this record, their sounds are too different to fit well together. This album sounds like Lou Reed reciting dark, and unappealing poems that he had written, while Metallica can be heard jamming in the background and it ends up sounding like a mess. I gave this album several chances to grow on me but it truly is a waste of time and a poor collaboration between very accomplished musicians. The only thing keeping this from a 1/10 is "Iced Honey", which is actually more or less listenable. Expand
  23. Apr 20, 2012
    Why Mettalica? One of the greatest bands of all time falls into the greasy hands of the old geaser Lou Reed. He talks, not sings, and you would not be able to tell this was Mettalica. For the die hard fans, my heart goes out to you, haha. But really, everything is garbage, I respect a change from the hard rocking band, but I did expect a change that was higher in quality than this.
  24. Mar 26, 2012
    I remember listening to this album for the first time and literally laughing. I thought it was a joke, I hope it is, because if Lou Reed and Metallica seriously thought this was a good album then they BOTH need to hang it up. Terrible lyrics, horrible vocals, flat melodies, uninspired riffs, just about every misfire in the book is present on Lulu. I am giving it a 1 because, as II remember listening to this album for the first time and literally laughing. I thought it was a joke, I hope it is, because if Lou Reed and Metallica seriously thought this was a good album then they BOTH need to hang it up. Terrible lyrics, horrible vocals, flat melodies, uninspired riffs, just about every misfire in the book is present on Lulu. I am giving it a 1 because, as I mentioned, it made me laugh, and that has to count for something. Expand
  25. Mar 8, 2012
    A bigger disaster, this album, Lulu is horrible, I don't like the music of Metallica, but I believe that is a great band, but my problem is that I like the music of Lou Reed, but this CD is terrible.
  26. Jan 3, 2012
    It has the balls to not be conventional, and it has some decent songs where the two seemingly opposite Lou and Metallica find a common ground. Not a great album but far from the utter failure most people claim it is. The production of the record, IMO, if better could have improved the final result of the mixed styles.
  27. Jan 3, 2012
    This is the worst album of 2011. Metallica seems to be playing a uninspired jam session with Lou Reed mumbling bad poetry to another tune. Both made a great contribution to music and maybe we should just forget that this ever happened.
  28. Dec 30, 2011
    NO METALLICA NO NO NO YOU WERE THE BEST METAL BAND IN THE WORLD AND YOU WENT AND RELEASED PURE GARBAGE LIKE THIS! LOU REED DOESN'T EVEN SINGS HE TALKS AND COMPLAINS LIKE AN OLD MAN!

1. Mojo
    Jan 10, 2012
    The shock in this collaboration is that it sounds savagely natural. [Dec. 2011, p.93]
  2. Q Magazine
    Dec 13, 2011
    Occasionally it's so insane that you can't help but be swept along with it. Mostly, however, it's so over the top the more likely reaction is to run it off and make sure you don't hear it again in a hurry. [Dec. 2011 p. 122]
  3. The Wire
    Dec 8, 2011
    Metallica's unrelenting sledgehammer style works as the perfect complement to Reed's vision of compassionless love, with monolithic chords deployed with almost surgical precision wile he dissects relationships w of masochism and power. [Dec 2011, p.63]