Lulu - Lou Reed
2.1

Review this album

1. Nov 5, 2011
    I like it, Metallica did really great work in this album, they always say that they play what they feel to play and that what made Metallica one of the best bands in the world (the greatest band in the world for me) and about people who's really against this project, lars said; in 80's when hard-core Metallica fans heard acoustic guitars on Fade to Black, there was a nuclear meltdown in the heavy-metal community (acoustic guitar gave the song something that only people with musical ears can understand it) also lars noted that LULU and Reed's poetry is "not for everyone." Expand
  2. Nov 8, 2011
    Metallica and Lou Reed have created in this album a complete masterpiece destined to become a cult album. I'm not saying this is the best album ever, but sure one of the greatest CDs in the last 5 years. The main reason is because they have created something new mixing their own styles in a conceptual way. Lulu is not only an album, it's something more and it's hard to explain it. Is when yo have listened all the CD, read its lyrics and watched all the art-work when you realize it's something special. Talking about Lulu's music, I think is awesome, specially Metallica's work, that explores new kinds of music with a great sensibility. It's true that in the beginning Lou's voice can seem strange in that melodies, but listening to it you see that this is a part of his poetry, of the sense of Lulu.
    Finally I want to say that the main problem for me is that this album should have been far away from mainstream and be a little work, but nothing that is done by Metallica nowadays will go unnoticed for their main audience, and specially his "purists" and detractors fans. But no matter what they say. Lulu is a GREAT album.
  3. Nov 26, 2011
    So many people have come out against this album and I really don't understand why. Lou Reed's albums are all one large work, each song compliments the others. I think its really incredible how easily Metallica fit into his style. The album is challenging and engaging if you give it the time it deserves to be absorbed.
  4. Dec 9, 2011
    Total, absolute masterpiece. Certainly within the top 10 albums I have ever heard and I have been an avid music fan for 35 years. It is an acquired taste. It is very different and challenging. The lyrics are as good as anything I've ever listened to or read. High art. Great literature. The music is utterly driven and intense but still manages to find space where space is needed. Every single track has depth and its own sense of being, but Junior Dad stands out as a milestone in rock music. This is a truly astonishing album that stretches boundaries and the listener. It's like nothing I've ever heard before and I would rank it in the same league as the work of The Velvet Underground, which is the highest praise I can give it. Expand
  5. Apr 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Typical for Lou Reed is the mixed feelings his music creates by the public. When I listened to 'Lulu' immediately
    I was struck by the massive presence of the sound, knowing his choice of lyrics was mostly found in literature of a kind that struck the world all over like: The Raven from Edgar Allen Poe or his story like songs from 'New York' with his bold texts about NY street life.

'Lulu' contains also lyrics in that matter in this case from Frank Wedekind's tragedy: 'Erdgeist whose work was also used in an opera from Alban Berg made in the beginning of the 20st century.

In my opinion the cooperation of Lou and Metallica was a splendid idea that created phenomenal music but with a risk of being misjudged by the majority of pop and rock fans that are familiar with heavy metal music.

Typical Lou. He learned his lesson from Andy Warhol to be very serious about what you want in life and stick to yourself and your ideas. I say listen to 'Lulu' for some time and you will get the message somehow cause the music
    has an overwhelming power and sadness to the highest degree! The loss of Lou still makes me sad but I know I'm not alone. He was a true artist and a fantastic musician that stood for his convictions and really lived his life well.
    It will take some time but 'Lulu' will be rated much higher in the future than it is now.

Aad van der Well
    The Netherlands

1. Jan 10, 2012
    The shock in this collaboration is that it sounds savagely natural. [Dec. 2011, p.93]
  2. Dec 13, 2011
    Occasionally it's so insane that you can't help but be swept along with it. Mostly, however, it's so over the top the more likely reaction is to run it off and make sure you don't hear it again in a hurry. [Dec. 2011 p. 122]
  3. Dec 8, 2011
    Metallica's unrelenting sledgehammer style works as the perfect complement to Reed's vision of compassionless love, with monolithic chords deployed with almost surgical precision wile he dissects relationships w of masochism and power. [Dec 2011, p.63]