5.9

Review this album

1. Jul 6, 2013
    Genious! The LyricalKing of rap strikes again. Great melodier on nearly every track. He is able to use other great artists in an amazing way. Personally I would put in a top 3 of his studio albums together with reasonable doubt and The blueprint.
  2. Jul 8, 2013
    Ok, so I am a huge fan of true (and rare) hip hop Artists. Jay-Z & Kanye West are my personal favourites of all time and I've been their fan since the turn of the century, so I am biased like hell and take notice of all work done by them together or separately. But even though, I can admit that Jigga had his musical bumps along the way, some are obvious like "Kingdom Come", which was way below par on every level, or "Blueprint 2" (which I liked, really, but it was too light & pop for his own standarts). Now Jay at his highest was at early works of "Blueprint" & "Reasonable Doubt", then the "Black Album" and his true comeback work of "American Gangster", which is an instant classic, by my taste. Now this here album "Magna Carta..." may not be "instant", but still I rate high enough to name it a classic too. After downloading it on 4th of July, I just cannot get enough of it, every song opens up something different with every other listen. So much context, so much themes are brought up (with usual bravado and all that what is associated with hip hop, ofcource), be it fame, religion, love, parenthood, politics... Something we can all relate and/or aspire to. I love this album and would recommend it to every hip hop fan. P.S. give "Yeezus" a try too... you never heard anything like it. Madly interesting and provocative. Expand
  3. Jul 6, 2013
    Jay through out this entire album is telling us he's the "king", and rightly so. We're gonna need to come up with some sort of Magna Carta to stop him from putting a beating on everyone in the game as he sips from his holy grail.
  4. Jul 6, 2013
    This is Jay's best album since American Gangster, it has great production and it shows a growth in his lyrical ability. I am not comparing it to classics like Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint, but the album is simply a great Jay-Z album and it's an album that will be played in the next 5 years.
  5. Jul 7, 2013
    Magna Carta May Be Jay's lyrically dumbed downed work to date but it delivers a personal message in the album. The message that no matter how much you accomplish in life, you should never lose sight of where you came from. Personal songs like "Jay-Z Blue" and "La familia" shows Jay-z drive what keeps his drive and his insecurities about fatherhood. As A Unit "Magna Carta" Is a solid album.
  6. Jul 6, 2013
    Honestly I don't understand all the hate on this album. I'd say this is in the top 3 albums released of 2013. If you actually listen to his flow and lyrics then get the album.
  7. Aug 12, 2013
    Magna Carta Holy Grail is very much a fundamentally sound rap album. It doesn't try anything new, isn't experimental, but that doesn't make it underwhelming. Every track is full of energy and confidence, and the production is excellent. Jay keeps his signature style while appealing to the younger audience. Consistency plays to the album's advantage, and overall the project is very much at Jay Z's par, if not higher. Expand
  8. Aug 21, 2013
    Nothing progressive in the hip hop world, but it is full of hits that never seem to get old!! If you like the fusion of rap and r&b, or just love catchy hooks then this album is for you.
  9. Jul 13, 2013
    Great album, lyrics were on point mostly, production was amazing, guest appearances were limited but meaningful and subject matter varied. Overall his best post-retirement release #go Hov!
  10. Jul 25, 2013
    I'm not quite sure why so many people are hating on this album. I think alot of people put so much energy into worshiping idols they get disappointed when an ARTIST makes a piece of art that isn't their favorite or tries to do something different they just get thrown under a bus. I remember when people used to say Jay Z sucked because he wouldn't switch his flow up then he does and they hate it...You just can't win with people....Hov they really just want to wake up in the morning and see you died on the news then 5....10 years from now....people are going yo miss JayZ Expand
  11. Oct 8, 2013
    All the songs in the album aren't well-done, but Holy Grail is definitely the best. I give a 10/10 for that song alone. It has a personal message and is very exhilarating. Normally I don't appreciate that type of music, but there's something about this song that stands out from the rest of the bunch.
  12. Sep 25, 2013
    The production definitively is the major attraction of this album, while Jay Z might have dumb down his flow and lyrics on some tracks, but he makes up for those ones on several tracks such as Heaven, Nickles and Dimes and Jay Z Blue.
  13. Nov 4, 2013
    JAY Z once again pushes the envelope with this album. He succeeded once again to sell me the dream with this album! I never thought I'd see Justin Timberlake and the king of rap make emsemble collaboration. JAY Z keep it up bro!

1. Dec 19, 2013
    Despite lackluster showings on the title track, and the anti-climactic first two verses of "Picasso Baby," a track presence that has stood the test of time for almost two decades eventually shines though. The second half of the aforementioned "Picasso Baby" shows off Jay-Z at his peak. [Sep 2013, p.97]
  2. Aug 20, 2013
    Magna Carta... Holy Grail isn't a dreadful record but it's a redundant one. [Sep 2013, p.103]
  3. Give it up to the one where Beyonce pledges gangsta devotion and, best of all, the one where the "billionaire" (he says) looks back at the betrayals of his own departed head of family with something that feels like dread.