Mama's Gun - Erykah Badu

Review this album

1. Oct 4, 2010
    I listened to this album more than any other during the 00's
  2. Dec 12, 2011
    A freaking genius album that put Erykah on the map for me, and to this day remains a default go to record when I can't decide what to listen to, because I can listen to it in nearly any circumstance or mood. She hits political without getting preachy, and emotional without losing the sexy.

1. A definite work of art, destined to remain in heavy rotation for some time to come.
  2. The Dallas native has created a womb of an album. It's a warm, soft, retreat from the outside world. Reading between the lines, this means no hits.... [but] reading the printed lyrics shows what a wonderful poet she is.
  3. But what makes Badu a source of deep pride for her black audience (and intriguing puzzlement for her ever-growing white one) is that her mysticism produces its most compelling poetry when set against gritty realities such as drug-dealing boyfriends, jealous neighbors, ghetto etiquette, and the constant war on poverty. As a songwriter, Badu's particular gift is being able to work such everyday touchstones into sublime allusions of spiritual rebirth.