• Record Label: Motown
9.0

Review this album

1. JoshB
    Oct 9, 2009
    Best Hip Hop Album of the year. The lyrical content, subject matter, production, and delivery are all a breath of fresh air for the genre.
  2. Feb 12, 2012
    Honestly, I don't really understand how people can even consider this album to be "mainstream music". How many of the songs from this album have you heard playing on the radio (with the exception of Day n Nite)? None, and it's not because they suck either. With that said, this is easily one of my favorite albums of all time and one of the most genuine lyrically. Cudi may not be forHonestly, I don't really understand how people can even consider this album to be "mainstream music". How many of the songs from this album have you heard playing on the radio (with the exception of Day n Nite)? None, and it's not because they suck either. With that said, this is easily one of my favorite albums of all time and one of the most genuine lyrically. Cudi may not be for everybody, but this is a spectacular album. Collapse
  3. Apr 28, 2013
    Probably the best debut album i have ever heard, Kid Cudi and his team (Emile, Pain Pat & Dot Da Genius) can't do no wrong. If you though Kid Cudi's was just an one-hit wonder because of Day N' Nite you were wrong, most the songs on this album are much better.
  4. AlexG.
    May 31, 2010
    This album is what hip hop should be about. He just talk about life and the struggles of it. More people should listen to this album. In my opinion it is one of the best hip hop albums of the decade. Hip Hop needs to veer away from gangster rap and there should be more rappers like Kid Cudi. Guys like Gucci Mane, Plies and Soulja Boy don't know how to rap or how to even write good This album is what hip hop should be about. He just talk about life and the struggles of it. More people should listen to this album. In my opinion it is one of the best hip hop albums of the decade. Hip Hop needs to veer away from gangster rap and there should be more rappers like Kid Cudi. Guys like Gucci Mane, Plies and Soulja Boy don't know how to rap or how to even write good lyrics. I could wrtie a better song. Expand
  5. OrianW.
    Jun 6, 2010
    Cut the B.S, I have to start off by saying, if you dont have this CD go and pick up a copy, NOW!!! If not at least go on youtube and listen to the tracks on MOTM!! I know alot of people dont really consider Cudder a rapper, but in fact he is. Just not sure if he could be considered a lyricist like Nas or Rakim. Although their is no denying that he makes G.O.O.D music. My favorite track on Cut the B.S, I have to start off by saying, if you dont have this CD go and pick up a copy, NOW!!! If not at least go on youtube and listen to the tracks on MOTM!! I know alot of people dont really consider Cudder a rapper, but in fact he is. Just not sure if he could be considered a lyricist like Nas or Rakim. Although their is no denying that he makes G.O.O.D music. My favorite track on MOTM is SOLO DOLO, amazing song, it got even better when I actually brought the album cause the final studio version had more emotion, (Violins, etc). The replay value is there, but songs like Enter Galactic, Hyyer, etc. get boring. Alright didnt mean to sound like a first class groupie, but seriously go buy this album. Expand
  6. JonoJ.
    Sep 30, 2009
    He's produces a different kind of rap and thats wat is so exciting about him, this is a good album.
  7. Joel
    Oct 4, 2009
    Great experience, can be listened to multiple times, definitely a step in the right direction for hip hop. Sometimes I was wondering what he was going for with his voice. Still a great album.
  8. Twizzle
    Sep 21, 2009
    This is one of the best albums of 09. If you are a fan of hip hop you would know that this is different than most in this genre but that's what makes it such a great album. If you're into artists like Kanye West or any one similar with a futuristic sound or different than the usual, then I guarantee you will love Kid Cudi. If you read this, you can probably tell that i usually This is one of the best albums of 09. If you are a fan of hip hop you would know that this is different than most in this genre but that's what makes it such a great album. If you're into artists like Kanye West or any one similar with a futuristic sound or different than the usual, then I guarantee you will love Kid Cudi. If you read this, you can probably tell that i usually don't give reviews but this album is just that good. Just give it a listen. Expand
  9. dustinb.
    Oct 13, 2009
    Really a great album, especially for his first!!! anyone who says he is just a mainstream lil wayne type is sorely mistaken. cudi makes music that goes deeper than mainstream and anyone who claims he's not "hardcore" enough needs to realize that hip-hop is not about being hard. overall this album is one of the best in recent years in any genre.
  10. RodericR.
    Oct 1, 2009
    An incredible debut album, unique and powerful. This guy has a seriously good future ahead of him.
  11. AmosD
    Dec 20, 2009
    Great album, basically everything good about kanye without any of the bad. The desicion to include Ratatat was pure genius. You can tell Cudi is actually a songwriter.
  12. DustinB
    Oct 9, 2009
    such a good cd! finally an upside for hip hop, instead of that soulja boy style crap that is labeled "hip-hop". the cd is a multi listen and it shows that hip-hop isn't dead.
  13. JustinM
    Sep 18, 2009
    What are these critics on? because he doesnt say the F word or how much he makes every 2 seconds its not a good album huh. This album is full of real lyrics and deep thoughts obviously too deep for the critics. This is new fresh and very good for a debut album. Cudi has a master piece on his hands this is one of the best Albums i have heard in a long time.
  14. tylere.
    Sep 21, 2009
    This album is the best i have heard this year and maybee even the best in years it is one of the only albums i can listen to the whole thing and not get bored i have literally already listened to the whole album almsot 100 times and i just put it on my mp3 last week....Amazing Kid cudi is much more talented and emotionally moving then drake lil wayne and jay-z, but not quite better than outkast!
  15. DevarreaGilchrist
    Jan 16, 2010
    This album truly is a classic, it's a breath of fresh air that the industry has needed.
  16. JesseH.
    Jan 19, 2010
    This album is an amazing debut for Kid Cudi. I have little to no complaints with the quality of the album. The lyrics are meaningful (albeit rather silly in "Make Her Say") and the music is incredible for modern rap music. He is surprisingly mature with his songwriting skills and lyricism. My only complaint is the overuse of singing. Some songs do not fit nicely with his voice at all, and This album is an amazing debut for Kid Cudi. I have little to no complaints with the quality of the album. The lyrics are meaningful (albeit rather silly in "Make Her Say") and the music is incredible for modern rap music. He is surprisingly mature with his songwriting skills and lyricism. My only complaint is the overuse of singing. Some songs do not fit nicely with his voice at all, and though they are great lyrically and musically, his vocals take away from them. A few songs have great vocal talent in him, but still there are two or three that I tend to skip. Regardless, this album is a buy for sure. Expand
  17. J-LL.
    Jan 7, 2010
    Incredible, the reason why I still buy CD's.
  18. MikeyJ.
    Feb 10, 2010
    One of the best rap albums in a while. I'm quite unsure as to how you can compare cudi to wayne, or call this cd mainstream. He doesn't rap about bitches and rims, instead its about true feelings and the everyday struggle of being a human being.
  19. GabrielT
    Oct 12, 2009
    Most mainstream rap these days is garbage comprised of stupid lyrics and generic beats. This album is filled with more meaningful lyrics and fresh beats. Highly recommended.
  20. E.J.d.
    Nov 5, 2009
    This isn't the typical mainstream, harcore, gangster, pop bottles, party-startin record that most radios now a days play. This is an album that speaks real everyday emotions that people can relate to. Not everybody enjoys the $100,000 rims and grills evoked in mainstream hip hop. Kid Cudi shows us real music through his emotions and embraces the lyricism concept that Hip Hop has been This isn't the typical mainstream, harcore, gangster, pop bottles, party-startin record that most radios now a days play. This is an album that speaks real everyday emotions that people can relate to. Not everybody enjoys the $100,000 rims and grills evoked in mainstream hip hop. Kid Cudi shows us real music through his emotions and embraces the lyricism concept that Hip Hop has been neglecting. This is something different because people can relate to it. This shits for real and well worth 15 bucks. Fuck the New York Times and Rolling Stone. They've been hypnotized by the piece of shit hip hop in mainstream today. Expand
  21. JayP
    Dec 9, 2009
    By far my favorite album this year. Just shows that critics aren't the best guides when looking into music or any other art genre. Lester Bangs hated Led Zeppelin and I hate Rush. To each his own.
  22. ManuelR.
    Oct 6, 2009
    Instant classic. gotta hear it to believe it. nothing like it. This is what hip-hop has been waiting for.
  23. DanA.
    Sep 16, 2009
    This album is an instant classic. The production is above and beyond, lyrics are great, and the presentation overall is just great. If it really remains with ridiculous Metacritic reviews like the terrible Rolling Stone and New York Times reviews holding it at a low metascore, then it will be sad. There is no reason albums like Tha Carter III should have high metascores but Kid This album is an instant classic. The production is above and beyond, lyrics are great, and the presentation overall is just great. If it really remains with ridiculous Metacritic reviews like the terrible Rolling Stone and New York Times reviews holding it at a low metascore, then it will be sad. There is no reason albums like Tha Carter III should have high metascores but Kid Cudi's album doesn't. Expand
  24. BrianL
    Sep 17, 2009
    Amazing debut. His outside of the box style along with his metaphoric and honest lyrics make this album a must have.
  25. ChristianS
    Sep 18, 2009
    A great album, very refreshing and a great way to escape from most of today's Hip- Hop. At first I had a very mixed feeling from the album, but really it's a masterpiece. Congratulations Cudi, you got me hooked.
  26. NeT
    Sep 18, 2009
    This album is a blast of fresh air to a genre swamped with BS artist who claim they're real "hip hop." Out of all of the CD's I've bought this year, Kid Cudi's debut album is the best. His style and flow are on point, and his lyrics aren't the mundane garbage that pollutes today's industry. Cudi puts his heart and soul in his lyrics and each song takes you on This album is a blast of fresh air to a genre swamped with BS artist who claim they're real "hip hop." Out of all of the CD's I've bought this year, Kid Cudi's debut album is the best. His style and flow are on point, and his lyrics aren't the mundane garbage that pollutes today's industry. Cudi puts his heart and soul in his lyrics and each song takes you on a ride that exposes more and more of the artist himself. I got so attached to Cudi's roller coaster of life experience's so much, that I play it over and over without getting tired of the journey. The instrumentals are sick and the choruses are catchy, yet SO much more than just something you get stuck in your head. If you want to experience something different, refreshing, and intriguing, buy this album. If you don't like thought provoking lyrics and unique rhythms, keep listening to your radio. Expand
  27. joebimbo
    Sep 18, 2009
    Like the critics said, the album isn't perfect, but what i liked about it is that it's fun and it's different. i think that what kid cudi did (esp. with ratatat) was something that needed to happen for hip-hop. rappers have finally started to play with live music, and kid cudi hired the best to help him out. his raps are a little pedestrian, yes, but who cares? it's Like the critics said, the album isn't perfect, but what i liked about it is that it's fun and it's different. i think that what kid cudi did (esp. with ratatat) was something that needed to happen for hip-hop. rappers have finally started to play with live music, and kid cudi hired the best to help him out. his raps are a little pedestrian, yes, but who cares? it's still fun. if you like innovation and hip-hop, buy it. you'll be impressed. thanks. Bye. Expand
  28. marko
    Sep 21, 2009
    Similar to 88 keys album, although common as a narrator is way better; solid downtempo-rap effort.
  29. KChurch
    Sep 21, 2009
    One of the most original albums ever.
  30. XavierDuncan
    Sep 21, 2009
    Good album. Bursting with deep thoats and great instrumentals.
  31. CharlesW
    Sep 21, 2009
    I loved the mixtape he put out earlier. When I 1st heard this album I was a little underwhelmed, but after a few listens it kept growing on me. This CD gets better and better each listen. My favorite thing about it is that it just flows and I don't have to skip tracks! Heart of A Lion, Soundtrack to My Life, Cudi Zone are a few of my favorites (Oh, also the Ratatat songs!!). Very I loved the mixtape he put out earlier. When I 1st heard this album I was a little underwhelmed, but after a few listens it kept growing on me. This CD gets better and better each listen. My favorite thing about it is that it just flows and I don't have to skip tracks! Heart of A Lion, Soundtrack to My Life, Cudi Zone are a few of my favorites (Oh, also the Ratatat songs!!). Very good, honest album. I tire of the materialistic, fantasy rap that Jay-Z & everyone else sputs off constantly. It's good to hear some true feelings and situations from someone with good production to back it. Expand
  32. MAGYK
    Sep 22, 2009
    It's different. I didn't like 808's too much, or his mixtapes. I loved this album though. It's more of an experience. My favorite album this year hands down.
  33. JordanM.
    Sep 26, 2009
    Easily best album this year its very different from 808's tha sound is more in depth and is also different from his mixtapes.
  34. Ejawn
    Sep 29, 2009
    Seriously, I've never been this disappointed by reviewers. Why are there only 2 reviews that are within ONE FULL point of the user average (9.1)? It's because critics follow a cookie-cutter format of evaluating music. Yeah, this album is hip hop. No, Cudi doesn't talk about bitches, rims, guns, and gangs. No, he doesn't use annoying hooks or token features to get radio Seriously, I've never been this disappointed by reviewers. Why are there only 2 reviews that are within ONE FULL point of the user average (9.1)? It's because critics follow a cookie-cutter format of evaluating music. Yeah, this album is hip hop. No, Cudi doesn't talk about bitches, rims, guns, and gangs. No, he doesn't use annoying hooks or token features to get radio play. I guess that since critics have become so accustomed to that, they automatically deduct points for Man on the Moon being different. Meanwhile, I -- and, from what the other user reviews I've read indicate, everyone else -- love this change and hope all rap moves more into this direction. I can't relate to $50,000 rims, and I feel like many of the rappers who sold their souls to make a dime can't relate either. If critics want to discourage quality music being used in hip hop, they can. But they lost a lot of my respect and trust. This album is incredible. End of story. Expand
  35. ColinT
    Nov 30, 2009
    Man on the Moon is the most impressive debut since Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor and that's saying A LOT! The gut takes you on a journey through his world in an unconventional way. There are NO hooks from T-Pain, NO random ass verse from lil Wayne, NO song is wasted on overdone topics about shit we're sick of. Obviously the issue is that people expected a "traditional" Man on the Moon is the most impressive debut since Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liquor and that's saying A LOT! The gut takes you on a journey through his world in an unconventional way. There are NO hooks from T-Pain, NO random ass verse from lil Wayne, NO song is wasted on overdone topics about shit we're sick of. Obviously the issue is that people expected a "traditional" Hip-Hop album, but take it for what it is. A man throwing everything on the table in a very entertaining way making a near classic album. I can listen to these songs AND relate to them. That's rare in mainstream Hip Hop. Expand
  36. ChuckE
    Oct 15, 2009
    This is album is what real music fans have been waiting for. Cudi takes us on a trip through his soul. Unbelievable! All you other guys can take your stacks, gats, and bitches and go to hell. Cudi is the new shit.
  37. JasonD
    Dec 2, 2009
    By far the best hip hop album i have ever heard, Balls debut for a guy with a mixtape and some major names supporting his efforts. Imagine the substance of Love below only created with the perspected of Identy versus role. There are new bits of relatable insight even on the tenth listen. This guy earned himself a life long fan.
  38. SamP.
    Oct 29, 2009
    This was a breath of fresh air for me. This was rap at a new level. Great lyrics, smooth beats. Working with MGMT and Ratatat was exciting to listen too. Hands down the best album of the year.
  39. AaronM
    Sep 16, 2009
    Innovative indie-rap that combines somewhat techno beats with compelling lyrics. An enjoyable album to listen to from start to end. I can honestly say that I didn't skip a song while playing it through, which I find to be rare with recent titles.
  40. EvanH
    Sep 16, 2009
    The critics are letting me down. This is an incredible album, ambitious and full of quality tunes. The beats are original, the raps are fun, the album sounds fresher than anything I've heard in a while. Yeah, guys, it's not straight (c)rap -- Cudi actually added musical depth and Ratatat to it!
  41. MattF
    Sep 17, 2009
    Outstanding album. Cudi has given us something different than generic mainstream rap. It is deeply personal and defies genre. One of the most ambitious debut albums of all time. A resounding success.
  42. CharlesA
    Sep 18, 2009
    I love this album. The humility in his lyrics is fascinating. The review in the NY Times was horrifying. Really truly aggressive for no reason whatsoever. Cudi's production and lyrics are so honest and sincere, how can you frown upon the truth? I am living in NY as a young artist, trying to make something out of my life, giving my dreams a real shot, and learning to be myself so that I love this album. The humility in his lyrics is fascinating. The review in the NY Times was horrifying. Really truly aggressive for no reason whatsoever. Cudi's production and lyrics are so honest and sincere, how can you frown upon the truth? I am living in NY as a young artist, trying to make something out of my life, giving my dreams a real shot, and learning to be myself so that I can bring out the truth in my art and everything else around me. Tracks like Soundtrack 2 Life, Solo Dolo, Heart of a Lion and Make Her Say, & Pursuit of Happiness are close to perfect. Passion, confidence, failure, desire, are all bursting out of the seems with the humility to admit he doesn't know if he's right or wrong but he knows he's himself. (I think therefore I am). The NYT review says the album needs more Kid Cudi, it so frustrating to read that review, as the writer was so eager to slam Cudi when he final gets a major release, but I didn't see him praising Cudi's Mixtape when it came out, however he gladly filled a cliche and mentioned how much better Cudi was on the mixtape vs. the album, which is complete non-sense. Cudi is gutting himself open like an addict in a NA meeting, he does coke, he parties, he produces his art, he's young he's confused, he has to produce because its his dream and passion and here some has-been critic for the Times gives the album half a spin and slams it completely, why? Perhaps the reviewer is so removed from real art as he maintains keeping established powers happy and in touch, he just happen to sleep on a gem. This album is for people chasing their dreams, regardless of any circumstance stopping them, whether it be the world or themselves. "I've got some issues that nobody can see And all of these emotions are pouring out of me I bring them to the light for you It's only right This is the soundtrack to my life, the soundtrack to my life" -Kid Cudi - Soundtrack 2 My Life Expand
  43. JasonS.
    Sep 21, 2009
    This is easily the best hip hop album of the year. F*** the new york times -- they obviously don't know shit about music.
  44. EstebanS.
    Dec 13, 2009
    A trippy record. Very real. You can feel the emotion Scott put in this album. The most revolutionary albums of this millennium so far. I can't wait to hear what else has to provide to the new hip hop era.
  45. Sep 17, 2010
    The originality, the atmosphere and the way of 'pouring out his emotions' are really cool! The haters simply don't understand... Sorry for them! CuDi is here for staying!
  46. Jun 12, 2011
    Terrific album, the kind of album that you can just pop into your CD player and listen to start to finish. I highly recommend this album to anyone who is just a little bit into hip hop/rap or a seasoned veteran of the genre. He puts none conventional artists on tracks and it turns out wonderfully, Kid Cudi is a lyrical genius in my opinion and this album is perfect for a warm summer'sTerrific album, the kind of album that you can just pop into your CD player and listen to start to finish. I highly recommend this album to anyone who is just a little bit into hip hop/rap or a seasoned veteran of the genre. He puts none conventional artists on tracks and it turns out wonderfully, Kid Cudi is a lyrical genius in my opinion and this album is perfect for a warm summer's night with some friends. Expand
  47. Dec 22, 2010
    OK, so the album is not perfect. Common tries to ruin it with his stupid narration. There are a few bad tracks. ("Make Her Say", "My World") In addition, Kid Cudi is not the best rapper in the world. In fact, I would argue even he would tell you that. However, the album is saved by amazing production quality, amazing beats, and Ratatat along with MGMT. "Alive" and "Pursuit ofOK, so the album is not perfect. Common tries to ruin it with his stupid narration. There are a few bad tracks. ("Make Her Say", "My World") In addition, Kid Cudi is not the best rapper in the world. In fact, I would argue even he would tell you that. However, the album is saved by amazing production quality, amazing beats, and Ratatat along with MGMT. "Alive" and "Pursuit of Happiness" are perfect. Day N Nite is also the most interesting single I have heard on the radio in a long time. The album revolves around his lonely stoner feeling with cold, bleak beats. Tight jeans rappers are awesome! Expand
  48. Apr 13, 2013
    This album is very great. I love the sound to the album and tracks. Kid Cudi is a great songwriter It's more than a hip hop album it's also a a alternative rock album It features great artists like common and kanye west and bands like mgmt. this album is worth having At first I wasn't such a fan of his until I heard this album.
  49. Feb 21, 2011
    There are almost no negatives to this album for me. I just listened to it all the way through for the first time a few months, and was reminded why I love this album so much. Although Common can be annoying at times, the albums continuity is still there, and the flow that it has let's me just relax after a day of hard work, or start off a day with a wonderful musical experience.
  50. Jan 14, 2011
    If anyone gives this album less than a 10 then they are crazy because kid cudi has now established himself thanks to this album. EVAERY SONG ON THIS ALBUM IS EMOTIONAL AND INSPIRING.
  51. Jun 24, 2013
    My only issue with this masterpiece is Common's narrating. It's distracting and rather annoying. Also Common's segment in Make Her Say. I guess I just thought Common was useless and actually hurt the album. But otherwise everything about this album is amazing. It has hope, heart, love, happiness. It makes you see the light in this dark world.
  52. Aug 24, 2011
    Great debut album, to me much more impressive than the follow up. A true masterpiece of the new rap, the alternative rap, in which Mr. Mescudi brings us in his dreams. And trust me, they are trippy, atmospheric, and more than anything, brilliant. Great album, hope Scottie boy brings a better album than Man on the Moon 2 with his next album. This one, however, is a must pick-up.
  53. Oct 25, 2011
    Hands down the best slow rap album out there. I can listen to this to go to sleep or to pump me up. Easy 10/10 for the record. Cudi doesn't follow your regular, "black & white" rap album.
  54. Apr 27, 2012
    Not since College Dropout has an artists debut album made such an impact on me more than Kid Cudi's Man on the Moon: The End of Day. This album is great, from beginning to end. It starts off with a spacey intro setting the tone for the rest of the album and doesn't let up. Even the more radio friendly songs like Pursuit of Happiness, Make Her Say, and the hit Day 'N' Nite are awesome.Not since College Dropout has an artists debut album made such an impact on me more than Kid Cudi's Man on the Moon: The End of Day. This album is great, from beginning to end. It starts off with a spacey intro setting the tone for the rest of the album and doesn't let up. Even the more radio friendly songs like Pursuit of Happiness, Make Her Say, and the hit Day 'N' Nite are awesome. There seems to be no filler to be found on MOTM. Kid Cudi is a different kind of rapper. He's a strong advocate of less style and more substance and there's plenty of substance here. He raps about being a kid, growing up and finding his artistic niche rather than money, women, cars and jewelry. The tracks that stand out to me the most are Soundtrack 2 My Life, Cudi Zone, My World and Heart of a Lion, but never find myself skipping a single track. Man on the Moon: The End of Day is a hip hop album for listeners looking for something more than your average hip hop album. It's unlike anything else you'll hear from a "rapper." Expand
  55. Feb 7, 2012
    cudi's flow is a rare style now a days. The chances of finding a great artist with the nicest flow today is 1 in 1Trillion. Kid Cudi is one of the few artists who are going to bring Hip-hop to the Top Of the Food Chain
  56. Aug 1, 2012
    PROS:
    The space-adventure-y production is incredible
    Even the "pop" songs ("Make Her Say", "Up Up n Away") sound great Lyrics to relate to Great guest verses from Kanye West, Common CONS: Kid Cudi could have a bit more energy, since these songs are the kind that require it. A few mediocre songs ("In My Dreams", "Simple As", & "Hyerr") Some interludes at the end of songs (Most people
    PROS:
    The space-adventure-y production is incredible
    Even the "pop" songs ("Make Her Say", "Up Up n Away") sound great
    Lyrics to relate to
    Great guest verses from Kanye West, Common
    A few mediocre songs ("In My Dreams", "Simple As", & "Hyerr")
    Some interludes at the end of songs (Most people probably won't mind them)
  57. Dec 7, 2012
    Absolutely the top Rap album i've heard. Each piece in this album is a masterpiece. It goes from one amazing song to another. My favourite album from Kid Cudi. Can't wait for his new album (Indicud)
  58. Jul 27, 2013
    This album is innovative. I feel that Kid Cudi is starting a new genre. Every track is different and they all set off independent tones. With songs like Soundtrack 2 My Life, Man on The Moon, Day 'N' Nite, and Pursuit of Happiness (nightmare), that are ground breaking. This album is definitely bringing something new to the Hip Hop genre.
  59. Aug 12, 2013
    This album is a masterpiece, a true blending of styles that culminate in something that does not belong in the world of gangster rap. It is a true hip-hop album, with instrumentals shot through with elements of 1980's-esque electronica and even rock. With guest appearances by Kanye West, MGMT, and the electro group Ratatat, it certainly is not lacking in any support from the musicalThis album is a masterpiece, a true blending of styles that culminate in something that does not belong in the world of gangster rap. It is a true hip-hop album, with instrumentals shot through with elements of 1980's-esque electronica and even rock. With guest appearances by Kanye West, MGMT, and the electro group Ratatat, it certainly is not lacking in any support from the musical community. Soundwise, the album is a spacious, reflective work that seems to invoke the kind of calmness that one normally feels when listening to calm ambient music. Lyrically, the album loses a tad of momentum. Cudi is obviously not a master of rhymes, but his true talent lies in connecting with listeners through the subject matters of his verses. Hip-Hop music relies not on the vocal talent of the artist (the artist is essentially talking, after all), but on the ability to communicate meaning to the patron. With his songs speaking of overcoming loneliness, nightmares, and anxiety, Cudi paints a portrait of someone who is easy to empathize with, someone down-to-earth but somehow still above the cesspool that the majority of hip-hop artists have fallen into. And unlike other rappers, Kid Cudi's sing-song style of rapping stands out among artists, with verses that can be either sung or rapped along too. In short, this is a near-perfect album. I have a feeling that I'll be listening to this for a long time. Expand
  60. Sep 17, 2013
    It's up for debate whether this or Outkast's Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is the best hip hop album of the decade. An absolute masterpiece that is grossly underrated by critics but sufficiently panned and admired by fans.
  61. Mar 10, 2015
    While Kid Cudi's debut album is classified as hip-hop, this album transcends the genre and crosses into others. The production on this album is atmospheric and moody and Cudi's not afraid of baring his soul. The narration by Common gives the album an epic feel and even though it's a long album, it is easy to listen to over and over again.
  62. Mar 10, 2015
    This is some of the most creative music out there right now. Lyrics could be a little more stable but definitely a great flow. Kick back and enjoy the greatest thing out from 2009: the creative genius of Kid Cudi
  63. Mar 11, 2015
    It is clear Kid Cudi has arrived. His unique flow, vibe, and the substance of his lyrics allow him to transcend any specific genre and allow people of all musical tastes to appreciate his work. To say that he is a breath of fresh air in every way, shape, or form, is an understatement. The quality of production as well as the lyrical content on this album are superb and there are some greatIt is clear Kid Cudi has arrived. His unique flow, vibe, and the substance of his lyrics allow him to transcend any specific genre and allow people of all musical tastes to appreciate his work. To say that he is a breath of fresh air in every way, shape, or form, is an understatement. The quality of production as well as the lyrical content on this album are superb and there are some great features including MGMT, Ratatat and Chip Tha Ripper just to name a few. The moon man has landed and he is not going anywhere anytime soon. Expand

1. This first official release is a soul searcher and may require more patience than your everyday debut. Still, the chilly, complicated Man on the Moon perfects the futuristic bleak-beat hip-hop Kanye purposed a year earlier, and rewards the listener with every tripped-out return.
  2. It’s spacey, adventurous, and ridiculously intriguing if only because it’s so different.
  3. Cudi turns out to be that rarest of rap phenomena: a hyped upstart who really does represent a promising new phase in the genre's evolution.