Merry Christmas II You

• Release Date: Nov 2, 2010
6.2

Review this album

1. Jun 13, 2011
    I am a hardcore Mariah Carey fan, so it is hard for me to give a mixed review of this album. It's a hugely disappointing follow-up to her first Christmas album. There doesn't seem to be any real difference between "All I Want For Christmas is You" and the "Extra Festive" version. However, "Oh Santa!" deserves to be called a modern Christmas classic just like the former song.

The rest of this album intersperses originals with classics--a respectful "First Noel," an aptly baby-making take on "O Little Town of Bethlehem," and "Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane)" as routed through a strip club. But nothing beats "All I Want for Christmas Is You," from her 1994 album Merry Christmas," one of the great modern holiday albums.
    It's 16 years since Mariah Carey's first Christmas album, and there's nothing here to suggest she's developed significantly since then.
  3. Dec 14, 2010
    It's not particularly clever, but it is expectedly big: if you're a Carey fan with a stocking that needs filling this year, this'll perk you up better than any alternative speech or sherry trifle could.