6.7

Review this album

1. Jul 3, 2012
    I'm genuinely baffled by the people who say there's no progression in the songs. 'Alice' starts off with a creeping, slow guitar riff and ends with a wailing horn... How are they the same thing? This is music that requires focus, attention, and an appreciation of where it's come from and what it's trying to do. That can take years to accomplish. I first came to Sunn O))) ten years ago andI'm genuinely baffled by the people who say there's no progression in the songs. 'Alice' starts off with a creeping, slow guitar riff and ends with a wailing horn... How are they the same thing? This is music that requires focus, attention, and an appreciation of where it's come from and what it's trying to do. That can take years to accomplish. I first came to Sunn O))) ten years ago and couldn't stand them. Now I've gone back, having seen them live and buying a sound system that can almost manage the low-end layers, and it all makes sense. It's not pretentious, it's not "just art" (whatever the hell that means), it's a form of music that asks more of its audience than other styles, and creates atmospheres that most other bands would struggle to begin to understand.

And if you think you could make money by sticking a mic by a washing machine and distorting the effects for 30 minutes, just **** do it and get some money so that you'll hopefully feel less of a need to act like a moron. You're like the children who stand before a Picasso and say it's "just splatters of paint". If you don't get it, you don't get it, but don't broadcast your ignorance like it's an achievement.
  2. Oct 1, 2010
    every aspect of this album is brilliant. I'm usually not a huge drone fan but the massive amount of elements and huge atmosphere won me over. Insanely good.
  3. Oct 1, 2011
    Clearly 35% of the users reviewing here don't see the trolling involved here.

But here, an honest review: The album has very little variation WHATSOEVER. I have listened to drone before, some I like, some I do not. While I may not be the biggest audiophile out there, I definitely do not believe there is any change in sound at all. The vocals..? Let's just not get into that, because
    Clearly 35% of the users reviewing here don't see the trolling involved here.

But here, an honest review:
    The album has very little variation WHATSOEVER. I have listened to drone before, some I like, some I do not. While I may not be the biggest audiophile out there, I definitely do not believe there is any change in sound at all. The vocals..? Let's just not get into that, because they are obvious ****

I imagine the whole album is a gigantic troll, but then again, there are some incredibly stupid people in this world.

PS: If you are interested in something happening, go to Alice - 12:00 mark.
  4. Mar 17, 2014
    my opinion, a very good listen when you can completely devote the time to do nothing else. I am only going to give 2 stars just because I prefer to experience a record like this live. Playing this in the home, on headphones, in the car, etc. is going to do absolutely nothing for me.

1. Monoliths and Dimensions succeeds because it is the sound of a new music formed from the ashen forge of drone, rock, and black metal.
  2. Hopefully those that came to SunnO))) through "Black One" will find much to love here. If they don’t they will be seriously missing out as Monoliths & Dimensions is devastatingly epic.
  3. For anyone interested in music that works both as art and an intensely new exciting experience--this is easily the best album that has come out this year.