7.9

Review this album

1. Feb 26, 2014
    Derivative, but so what? Beck's already told us this is a "companion piece" to Sea Change, and hipster outposts like Pitchfork are wondering why this isn't genre-bending or outside-of-the-box (read: okay to name-drop yet barely listenable). A lush, timeless album devoid of wise-ass humor and pretense, and a welcome respite from the aural assault of modern life. An album that will startDerivative, but so what? Beck's already told us this is a "companion piece" to Sea Change, and hipster outposts like Pitchfork are wondering why this isn't genre-bending or outside-of-the-box (read: okay to name-drop yet barely listenable). A lush, timeless album devoid of wise-ass humor and pretense, and a welcome respite from the aural assault of modern life. An album that will start many of my days and wind down my nights this year. Expand
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    A very warm record to wake up to that plays like one cohesive long soundscape. It's very consistent, great orchestration and production. It's a real grower and invites me to play it over and over. Much easier to listen to than Sea Change for me, which was quite depressing and unsettling. Recommended!
  3. Feb 26, 2014
    This album really grew on me over the course of a few listens. So much so, that I find that it has become my favorite beck album since sea change. I found it more interesting than sea change as well.
  4. Mar 3, 2014
    Gotta admire Beck's adventurous musical catalog. As an immediate addict of Odelay, I found it hard to appreciate Sea Change until I went through a painful breakup. I think Morning Phase is similar in that regard. It's not an "every mood any mood" kind of album that will keep the average listener engaged for an entire album. And that's my biggest problem here. There are a few songsGotta admire Beck's adventurous musical catalog. As an immediate addict of Odelay, I found it hard to appreciate Sea Change until I went through a painful breakup. I think Morning Phase is similar in that regard. It's not an "every mood any mood" kind of album that will keep the average listener engaged for an entire album. And that's my biggest problem here. There are a few songs that MIGHT end up as favorites in the distant future IF they have a chance to grow on me. But will I have the patience to allow that process to happen if I'm not depressed for more than a few days at a time where an album like this might suit constant rotation? Even if.... I'd sooner put on something else. There are "moments" that are hooky on this album, but you have to wait for them and pan for gold amidst a very blended and neutral sonic landscape that gets stale rather quickly. Two turn tables and a microphone this is not. More like two downers and a large bag of plain potatoes chips. Expand
  5. Feb 25, 2014
    Um bom disco que se completa a cada musica tocada em uma sincronia quase perfeita.Nunca fui muito fã de beck porem esse disco tem algo que me faz lembrar de coisas boas da vida alem de ser um som muito carismático de uma forma que deixa seus ouvidos atentos a cada nota.
  6. Mar 3, 2014
    I greatly enjoyed this album. I especially appreciated the dreamy feeling in beautiful tracks like Morning, Blue Moon, Unforgiven, Wave, and Waking Light.

I wish the rest of the album had the same atmosphere, though. Not that they were bad, just a bit inconsistent with the mesmerizing tracks mentioned above.
  7. Mar 3, 2014
    I cannot believe all the positive reviews this album is getting. I have been a long time Beck fan and have accepted the fact that there will never be another "One Foot In the Grave" album. Still, I find this record boring at its worst and a Neil Young rip off at its best. Although some Beck albums take a while to grow on you, I don't think I will play it enough for that to happen. To beI cannot believe all the positive reviews this album is getting. I have been a long time Beck fan and have accepted the fact that there will never be another "One Foot In the Grave" album. Still, I find this record boring at its worst and a Neil Young rip off at its best. Although some Beck albums take a while to grow on you, I don't think I will play it enough for that to happen. To be fair I think "Sea Change" is the second worst Beck album. PS. I must have missed all those "early 70's California harmonies" that the record magazines keep talking about. WTF? Expand
  8. Mar 23, 2014
    Unlike many of the other user reviewers, I don't see this as an album that grows on you over a long period of time. I listened to it a few times the first week it was out, but haven't come back to it much since - perhaps cause of the flux of great albums out in the past month or so and a rediscovery of Panda Bear. As an album, it's pretty spectacular and I see why it's been hailed as theUnlike many of the other user reviewers, I don't see this as an album that grows on you over a long period of time. I listened to it a few times the first week it was out, but haven't come back to it much since - perhaps cause of the flux of great albums out in the past month or so and a rediscovery of Panda Bear. As an album, it's pretty spectacular and I see why it's been hailed as the long awaited follow up to Sea Change, which personally was never my favorite Beck album (that belongs to Modern Guilt, which is strange). I know a lot of critics have complained that Beck hasn't ventured far enough on this album, but why should he when he can make good stuff like this? Expand
  9. Mar 24, 2014
    Sure, this album is definitely not for your average listener. But if you are one of those people who like to get lost in headphone music, this one is for you.
    Beck has a strange way of sounding retro, while delivering something you have never heard before. But this time it was like I could almost put my finger on it...
    It was like he used a time machine and snuck into the studio (Decca
    It was like he used a time machine and snuck into the studio (Decca studios, London 1967) where the Moody Blues recorded "Days of Future Passed". Not that there is any huge similarities, just that the sounds land on your ears in a similar way. Big reverb and backing vocals sounding like they are being projected from then end of a giant hall...
    Not sure how he does it, but you simply cannot draw an exact comparison to anything... which is of course the genius of Beck.
  10. Mar 25, 2014
    Beck's "comeback" album is an absolute gem & early contender for AOTY. It approaches the typical "breakup" theme in a unique, fresh & vividly believable way, and is back by beautiful rich folk instrumentation. Another fantastic step in Beck's evolution as a songwriter that I think even surpasses Sea Change.

(For my much more in-depth review, look up "Spin It Reviews" on YouTube.)
  11. Mar 30, 2014
    For the first time listening to Beck, this album was underwhelming. I've only heard good things, but there was only 2 or 3 songs that I liked, and the rest was meh at best. I hope that by listening to it more intently, and more frequently, he will grow on me. But for now, I feel like Beck will be a pass...
  12. Apr 24, 2014
    Morning Phase shows Beck returning to the stylistics shifts of albums like Mutations and Sea Change, but with instrumentation and tunes that are far more uninteresting and bland. It sounds more like Sea Change than Mutations, it's even been regarded as its sister album. The same acoustic guitars, warm strings, pianos and vocal deliveries. This is way more optimistic of an album though.Morning Phase shows Beck returning to the stylistics shifts of albums like Mutations and Sea Change, but with instrumentation and tunes that are far more uninteresting and bland. It sounds more like Sea Change than Mutations, it's even been regarded as its sister album. The same acoustic guitars, warm strings, pianos and vocal deliveries. This is way more optimistic of an album though. Some people might like the slow and syrupy instrumentation of these records in his discography, i do not. Expand
  13. Apr 24, 2014
    Some reviewers have criticized this album for being too one-note. All of the songs are similar in terms of tempo. However, on his albums Beck more often than not draws from a variety of different genres / sub-genres and influences, and Morning Phase is no different. Each song differentiates itself in terms of sub-genre and influence from a musical predecessor (notably Nick Drake and SimonSome reviewers have criticized this album for being too one-note. All of the songs are similar in terms of tempo. However, on his albums Beck more often than not draws from a variety of different genres / sub-genres and influences, and Morning Phase is no different. Each song differentiates itself in terms of sub-genre and influence from a musical predecessor (notably Nick Drake and Simon & Garfunkel). I find this album to be a more satisfying listening experience than Sea Change because of this variety. In addition, Beck's songwriting is incredibly ingenious (as always). The album's songs are emotionally compelling, lush, poignant, and breathtaking. Even if you didn't completely enjoy Sea Change, give Morning Phase a chance; it's quiet, brooding, emotional psychedelic folk, country, and rock will enthrall and enrapture you. Expand
  14. Jul 29, 2014
    Ho-Hum. Rock and Roll it isn't. The darling of professional music critics and fans of wimpy music. LOSER was the only song he ever did that I enjoyed. When I listened to his later stuff, it was like taking a sleeping pill. I'm a fan of rock and roll. I don't know what Beck is, but he's definitely not a rocker. If he puts out a good metal album, I'll be impressed. Until then, he'sHo-Hum. Rock and Roll it isn't. The darling of professional music critics and fans of wimpy music. LOSER was the only song he ever did that I enjoyed. When I listened to his later stuff, it was like taking a sleeping pill. I'm a fan of rock and roll. I don't know what Beck is, but he's definitely not a rocker. If he puts out a good metal album, I'll be impressed. Until then, he's just such a bore. A likable little artsy guy, but for people who love to lie around looking at clouds and falling asleep. I would be willing to bet that heroin addicts love his music. Because they love being put to sleep. But I'll give him credit. He made the sales to allow him to indulge himself in whatever he wants. Which will probably be making boring music for the rest of his life. Expand
  15. Aug 23, 2014

Read my review of Beck's latest album.

'A Short Glowing Review for a Short Glowing Album'.
  16. Aug 27, 2014
    I don't want to be harsh on an artist for doing something different. We don't want repeat albums that sound the same. This album just didn't resonate with me as much, but that's not to say that I don't like it either. I think I just like Sir Beck a little more when he is rocking a little, or just being bizarre. Musically it's still quite nice, but for me it will likely be one of theI don't want to be harsh on an artist for doing something different. We don't want repeat albums that sound the same. This album just didn't resonate with me as much, but that's not to say that I don't like it either. I think I just like Sir Beck a little more when he is rocking a little, or just being bizarre. Musically it's still quite nice, but for me it will likely be one of the albums I return to less often. Expand
  17. Sep 6, 2014
    A mediocre collection of songs that appear more bland than powerful. It lacks the personal meaning and emotion that made Sea Change Beck's undeniable #1 album (and one of my all-time favourites). I'd place Morning Phase at spot 5 or 6 on Beck's album list. Good, not great.
  18. Sep 6, 2014
    One could be excused on first listen for finding this album somewhat bland. However, subsequent listens reveal more and more nuanced variety. Each track does stand on its own, but as a whole is something far more. This has become a compulsory part of our Sunday morning lie-in... and I suspect this was the intention all along.
  19. Sep 9, 2014
    By "companion piece" I think we understand something that is equal, that stands for the same thing, I don't see this album as a "sequel" or the second part of 2002's Sea Change, Morning Phase has it's own approach and mood. How is it?

Excellent. Beck is multi-genre craftsman, and you can like Midnite Vultures as equally as you can like this one. The album transmits and really comforts in a special way, the songs are produced consitently and beautifully. Beck knows when to do things, when to add, when to take off, and the result is a perfect combination of blandness and evocative lyrics that it's highly recommended.
  20. Dec 9, 2014
    I disagree that it's a much better record than Sea Change, but it's a worthy follow-up. It's bright and shiny and light-weight. And confident. And content. Pretty much everything Beck has done has been great, even that first record that no one talks about anymore except a few poor souls who still consider it Beck's only real contribution to modern music. These mellow records though, theyI disagree that it's a much better record than Sea Change, but it's a worthy follow-up. It's bright and shiny and light-weight. And confident. And content. Pretty much everything Beck has done has been great, even that first record that no one talks about anymore except a few poor souls who still consider it Beck's only real contribution to modern music. These mellow records though, they are something fantastic. Expand

1. Mar 12, 2014
    Morning Phase is ultimately a mood piece: a quiet triumph of feeling over form. [No. 107, p.51]
  2. Mar 6, 2014
    There’s an eerie blandness to the mood that is initially off-putting but turns into a surprisingly compelling, subtly evocative combination of sadness and contentedness.
  3. Mar 3, 2014
    I was hoping for a leap forward, but Morning Phase just feels like a very pretty place to sit and wait for one.