8.1

Review this album

1. Feb 26, 2014
    Derivative, but so what? Beck's already told us this is a "companion piece" to Sea Change, and hipster outposts like Pitchfork are wondering why this isn't genre-bending or outside-of-the-box (read: okay to name-drop yet barely listenable). A lush, timeless album devoid of wise-ass humor and pretense, and a welcome respite from the aural assault of modern life. An album that will start many of my days and wind down my nights this year. Expand
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    A very warm record to wake up to that plays like one cohesive long soundscape. It's very consistent, great orchestration and production. It's a real grower and invites me to play it over and over. Much easier to listen to than Sea Change for me, which was quite depressing and unsettling. Recommended!
  3. Feb 26, 2014
    This album really grew on me over the course of a few listens. So much so, that I find that it has become my favorite beck album since sea change. I found it more interesting than sea change as well.
  4. Feb 25, 2014
    Um bom disco que se completa a cada musica tocada em uma sincronia quase perfeita.Nunca fui muito fã de beck porem esse disco tem algo que me faz lembrar de coisas boas da vida alem de ser um som muito carismático de uma forma que deixa seus ouvidos atentos a cada nota.
  5. Mar 24, 2014
    Sure, this album is definitely not for your average listener. But if you are one of those people who like to get lost in headphone music, this one is for you.
    Beck has a strange way of sounding retro, while delivering something you have never heard before. But this time it was like I could almost put my finger on it...
    It was like he used a time machine and snuck into the studio (Decca
    studios, London 1967) where the Moody Blues recorded "Days of Future Passed". Not that there is any huge similarities, just that the sounds land on your ears in a similar way. Big reverb and backing vocals sounding like they are being projected from then end of a giant hall...
    Not sure how he does it, but you simply cannot draw an exact comparison to anything... which is of course the genius of Beck.
  6. Mar 25, 2014
    Beck's "comeback" album is an absolute gem & early contender for AOTY. It approaches the typical "breakup" theme in a unique, fresh & vividly believable way, and is back by beautiful rich folk instrumentation. Another fantastic step in Beck's evolution as a songwriter that I think even surpasses Sea Change.

(For my much more in-depth review, look up "Spin It Reviews" on YouTube.)
  7. Apr 24, 2014
    Some reviewers have criticized this album for being too one-note. All of the songs are similar in terms of tempo. However, on his albums Beck more often than not draws from a variety of different genres / sub-genres and influences, and Morning Phase is no different. Each song differentiates itself in terms of sub-genre and influence from a musical predecessor (notably Nick Drake and Simon & Garfunkel). I find this album to be a more satisfying listening experience than Sea Change because of this variety. In addition, Beck's songwriting is incredibly ingenious (as always). The album's songs are emotionally compelling, lush, poignant, and breathtaking. Even if you didn't completely enjoy Sea Change, give Morning Phase a chance; it's quiet, brooding, emotional psychedelic folk, country, and rock will enthrall and enrapture you. Expand

1. Mar 12, 2014
    Morning Phase is ultimately a mood piece: a quiet triumph of feeling over form. [No. 107, p.51]
  2. Mar 6, 2014
    There’s an eerie blandness to the mood that is initially off-putting but turns into a surprisingly compelling, subtly evocative combination of sadness and contentedness.
  3. Mar 3, 2014
    I was hoping for a leap forward, but Morning Phase just feels like a very pretty place to sit and wait for one.