Morph The Cat - Donald Fagen
8.3

Review this album

1. Jan 2, 2012
    We all should understand that music is a totally subjective experience as is a "good wine" or a great movie. That being said, I am a bit perplexed that Mack would make such bold statements and references. Steely Dan/Donald **** and Walter Becker have truly evolved. Listen to the sound changes over the years and the past three decades have been more of a polishing of a sound that is proven, secure and dynamic. I may be a huge fan but I also appreciate the depth and soul of what I consider to be one of the most important musical influences since James Brown - "on the one beat - smile! One should comment on what they understand rather than be critical of that which they do not! Expand

1. At his best he spins these tales with a mix of literary craft and jazzman's cool, animating his narratives with vivid and colorful language. [5 Mar 2006]
  2. The album is imbued with a post-9/11 dread, which deters Fagen from recycling the nostalgia and Lynchian fantasy of his previous albums.
  3. With its precisely calibrated funk grooves, exquisitely tasteful playing, and general air of blissed-out languor, Morph is firmly in the smoothed-out tradition of latter-day Dan discs like Gaucho. [17 Mar 2006, p.111]