Mosquito - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
6.7

Review this album

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs really tried to get everyone excited for this new album. I was very excited. After seeing that strange and somewhat disturbing album cover, I knew the album would be quite interesting. It wasn't quite what I had expected. It was much more boring than I thought. Even with the collaborations in production with James Murphy and the guy from TV on the Radio, the album falls short for me. Not to say that the album sucks, but I just wanted a little bit more. The highlights are: "Sacrilege". Expand
  2. Sep 1, 2013
    OK here's the thing you hear there is a new YYY's album coming out. You flip out. You hear they worked with Dave Sitek & James Murphy. You cannot stand the suspense. You hear 'Sacrilege' & at first you are thrown off by the gospel choir, but pretty soon it's playing on repeat in your head. THEN you get round to finally hearing 'Mosquito' in all of it's sythny, subteranean soundscape glory and your first reaction is WTF is this?? Because it doesn't resemble anything the band has done before. When they went "pop" on Blitz, people complained. And now they've gone weird, electro dub?!
    BUT IT IS BRILLIANT. Unquestionably. Give it a few listens. If it's hard, listen to 'Mosquito', 'Slave' and 'Despair' because those tracks will ease you into the new sound by retaining some of their original sound. 'Despair' completely won me over and it is now one of my favorite YYY tracks. This is an unusually brilliant record. Listen to it more than thrice.
  3. Jun 11, 2013
    I don't know what happened to people ears and taste as the don't appreciate the great talent of yeah yeah yeahs and run like idiots behind music of bieber and gaga shame on you people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  4. Apr 20, 2013
    A different sound than their previous albums, i don't see a radio/tv hit song in this album but there are some great songs such as Under the Earth, Subway, Despair that will get into you. Nice album cover as well.
  5. Sep 18, 2013
    This is a gem that's criminally underrated.
    ,,,,,,,,..............................................................................................................
  6. Apr 21, 2013
    Pretty boring. The magic contained in their previous 3 masterpieces is gone. I like bands who change their sound with every new release, just like they did on their previous releases, but this one, was a pretty boring change. I almost fall sleep while listening to this.
  7. Apr 20, 2013
    This album should be entitled, Yeah Yeah Yeahs lose their edge Slightly boring,well a lot boring .

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs have a lot of talent but this album sounds like a sell out.
  8. Apr 20, 2013
    I love the yeah yeah yeahs but this isn't thier best album.... This album is very avereage from them. The songs on the album are okay and it doesn't draw me in like the sings on the last three albums. I been waiting for yeah yeah yeahs to come out for years now........ I'm not upset with the album,.....or I'm not super excited about having the album,
  9. Apr 24, 2013
    After hearing their amazing lead single, Sacrilege, with its rousing chorus and gospel choir, this album would be onto a winner. Unfortunately, it seems to go a bit downhill after the great opening. Tracks like Subway and Always are too boring and These Paths consisted of silly background effects that ruined the song. But songs like Mosquito, Slave, Area 52 and Buried Alive make up for that with their punchy tunes and dark tones. I have to say, I expected something a bit more uptemp and anthemic considering the title, cover art and lead single. Collapse
  10. May 15, 2013
    I’ve already mentioned that what I like about the Yeah Yeah Yeahs is their singles, and their way to build and deflate energy with the greatest of ease. That didn’t click in this album for me so much, there are a few songs that show it more than others, but it’s not consistent.
    Read the rest at http://www.mcmaymie.com
  11. Sep 15, 2013
    It would be easy to look at the cover art for 'Mosquito' and scratch your head, asking what the Yeah Yeah Yeahs were thinking, but on second thought, it is actually a perfect representation of not only the album, but also of the band itself. The album is quirky all the way through, brings the unexpected with every track; if you think the gospel heaven that is 'Sacrilege' is the best the album can offer, give the record a listen (again). The songs on here feel more atmospheric than Yeah Yeah Yeahs have ever sounded before; they stir up whatever's inside of you. The only unsuitable moments are 'Area 52', which would've fit better on the band's debut, 'Fever To Tell', and the tediously protracted 'Buried Alive'. The others are all worth a 'standout' stamp. Expand

1. Jun 4, 2013
    Ultimately, Mosquito sees the band reenergised, trying new things and, generally, succeeding.
  2. Apr 25, 2013
    Maybe it’s a struggle to really get your teeth into Mosquito because of the track listing; the three song dry patch after Mosquito is a huge problem considering the ease these days of being able to find something more interesting to listen to.
  3. Apr 23, 2013
    For all their consistency, it's good to know Yeah Yeah Yeahs remain capable of pulling off the unexpected.