Mount Eerie

8.5

Review this album

1. poln
    Dec 14, 2004
    this cd is genuine, a very personal work with a lot of deepness.. it takes a while to get into it, but once you do.. you'll be amazed by it's unique beauty
  2. Mar 29, 2012
    Maybe I'm biased about this album, with The Microphones/Mount Eerie being my favorite band, but this album is great. While not being for everyone and may be difficult at first, after a few listens its magic begins to show. It begins how The Glow pt. 2 ended and and ends with Elverum discovering the face of the universe. The concept makes it cheesy, but that is what keeps it from becomingMaybe I'm biased about this album, with The Microphones/Mount Eerie being my favorite band, but this album is great. While not being for everyone and may be difficult at first, after a few listens its magic begins to show. It begins how The Glow pt. 2 ended and and ends with Elverum discovering the face of the universe. The concept makes it cheesy, but that is what keeps it from becoming pretentious garbage. Even if it was serious, it would be some of the best pretentious garbage I can have ever listened to. A+ Expand
  3. j30
    Sep 4, 2011
    I tried and tried to listen to this album with no avail. There's better music out there, you just got to dig deeper. A completely forgettable album.
  4. LukeM.
    Feb 25, 2003
    I know Phil Elvrum is a drummer, but this album is pretty much ALL drums. Is that something you'd want to listen to for 40 minutes? When some sort of melody does come in, generally in the form of acoustic guitar and bad singing, it only sounds good in that it's a reprieve from the drumming. I wouldn't give a zero lightly; this is truly awful.
  5. DomS.
    Aug 8, 2003
    Almost oversteps the line between an artist's indelible experimental outing and a bombastic, beautiful mess. Or maybe it does overstep the line. Regardless, short, tiny moments (like Death's voice or the deep humming beat that begins this record where "the Glow, pt. 2" left off) make this record one of the year's most engaging.
  6. Evan______
    Feb 21, 2003
    Don't listen to the Flak review, they just make fun on things to seem cool. This album is beautiful. What more needs to be said? It's about life and death. OK that's all I can descibe it as.
  7. WhitneyO
    Apr 30, 2004
    I can't believe those bad ratings... There is absolutely no reason for them to say this album is a joke. Phil is one of the most important artists of our time!!! Believe it...
  8. Elliot
    Oct 31, 2003
    It is surely a good album, but it's no The Glow, Part 2. Now THAT is an incredible album. Perhaps the greatest "lo-fi" recording ever? Regardless, The Microphones are immensely talented, but Mt. Eerie just hints at the magic they're capable of.
  9. PhineasP
    Jul 24, 2003
    If you can't connect emotionally to this cd, that's ok. Not everybody does. But you can't reject the massive artistic album Mt. Eerie is, and the fact that it's nothing like you've heard before. if you like music, give this a chance.
  10. Sep 13, 2015
    What a beautifully hunting send off for such an incredible band. This is The Microphones Magus Opus, every track is incredibly touching and meaningful. It makes me sad this is the last Microphones record yet as they are reincarnated as Mount Eerie i await with anticipation as to what happens next.

1. Alternative Press
    Mount Eerie would be a gorgeous record even if the vision behind it didn't fall somewhere between Biblical allegory and Greek myth, but the drama makes it all the more stunning. [Feb 2003, p.70]
  2. Weaving together themes like mortality, the universality of mankind, and the cyclical eternality of life and not having it all come out as a pretentious mess of self-important prognosticating and vaguely simplistic truisms places Elvrum in the rarified air that few outside of Brian Wilson have ever attempted to reach.
  3. Elvrum’s tightest song cycle yet, truly focusing and clarifying the themes and ideas he’s explored on all his albums.