7.6

Review this album

1. Aug 14, 2012
    I was immediately drawn into The Very Best when I heard their single featuring Vampire Weekend's frontman Ezra Koenig as he provided the perfect context to understand the music through, an African band borrowing ideas from American indie instead of the other way around. The music was melodic but focused much more on the beat than indie typically did, making for an extremely fun listen.I was immediately drawn into The Very Best when I heard their single featuring Vampire Weekend's frontman Ezra Koenig as he provided the perfect context to understand the music through, an African band borrowing ideas from American indie instead of the other way around. The music was melodic but focused much more on the beat than indie typically did, making for an extremely fun listen.

This album is good too, and I recommend listening to it, but it largely dropped the carefree melodies that its predecessor had in favor of adopting a much more hip-hop centric production. The fun is still there, and it's still a solid album, but it lacks the sunny and playful atmosphere that propelled "Warm Heart of Africa" to its highest highs.

1. Sep 11, 2012
    Simply put, tMTMTMK is what music sounds like when it works.
  2. Under The Radar
    Aug 22, 2012
    While the album isn't as initially thrilling as their debut, it's a grower that handily avoids the sophomore slump via its sheer soulful elan. [Aug/Sep 2012, p.121]
  3. Q Magazine
    Aug 2, 2012
    MTMTMK is even more propulsive than their debut. From Kondaine's digitised kwassa kwassa to the deep-house swell of Rudeboy and Mghetto's dub throb, it thumps with worldly street rhythms. [Aug 2012, p.110]