- Summary: Breaking traditional mainstream hip-hop guidelines, Kanye West's latest release features epic raps and long instrumental variations for his most innovative album to date.
- Record Label: Def Jam
- Genre(s): Pop, Rap, Pop/Rock, Midwest Rap, Pop-Rap
- More Details and Credits »
Nov 1, 2012If there was ever a definition of a "modern day classic" this would be it. If you don't own this album then you must buy it now. Kanye WestIf there was ever a definition of a "modern day classic" this would be it. If you don't own this album then you must buy it now. Kanye West bares his soul in an album so bold it will never get old. I come from a guitar based background but this album is extraordinary.… Expand
Nov 22, 2010This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best album of the year...so far!!!!! this the sound of the future, the sound of real hip-hop and rap music, the sound of the music...this is Kanye West!!! great artist and a real genius...! this album is so creative, original and perfect!!! the best album of his career...! i wan t this album in my country! great lyrics, crazy and awesome! perfect album!!!!!!… Expand
Aug 9, 2011This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mr. West comes out from his self-imposed exile to deliver grandiose production , star-studded features and West's best lyrics to date.
1. Dark Fantasy : One of the best intros I have heard in a while , from the huge intro to the RZA assisted piano beat this song is just one of the main reasons to own a car with a crazy sound system.
2. Gorgeous : One of the album's more lyrical songs over a menacing guitar loop. One of the highlights of this song is the breakdown that comes in the second half followed by a Raekwon verse .
The album's first single . This song was the first snippet of the album that we received , the chanting and clapping are as if a hero had returned are a long absence and is being welcomed home accordingly.
The militaristic beat and guitar riffs just give this song that triumphant feel or should I say 'theme music'
4. All of the lights [Interlude] : The prelude to the album's most grandiose effort , unlike the track that comes after this one this is filled with soft keys and cello that get you ready for what's to come
5. All of the lights : As I've said before this is the album's most grandiose effort , blaring horns , non-stop drums and percussion and over 11 vocalists on one track all lead by Rihanna who delivers the infectious chorus.
6. Monster :
The bass filled track that host's verses from Jay-z , Rick Ross and Nicki Minaj is full of lyrics that boast braggadocio and keeps you bobbing your head from the menacing start to the Justin Vernon ending
7. So Appalled: Another posse cut featuring the likes of Jay-z ...again , Pusha T , Swizz Beatz and G.O.O.D Music newcomer CyHi da Prynce. This song is line after line of lyrical genius .
8. Devil In a New Dress:
One of my favourites off the album , this Smokey Robinson song is just smooth Kanye raps about relationship falling apart followed by a guitar solo provided by Kanye's right hand man Mike Dean , then a surprisingly great verse from Rick Ross.
9. Runaway :
One of the album's most emotional songs which is sung over an emotionless key-driven loop and a Pete Rock sampled beat which has Kanye toasting to the 'Douchebags and **** The song ends with a 3 minutes vocoder solo bursting with emotion .
10. Hell of A Life : Hell of a Life has Kanye rapping about how he wishes to marry a pornstar over a really heavy sample while interpolating Black Sabbath's 'Iron Man' for the chorus .
11. Blame Game :
This Aphex Twin sampled beat showcases Kanye's frustration with fame , relationships and love while being assisted by John Legend and an outro by Comedian Chris Rock
12. Lost in the World: The grand finale of the album using Bon Iver's 'Woods' as the building block for this song . West's verse is full of dichotomy and hopes for leaving a 'plastic life' .
13. Who Will Survive In America
I view this as the album's epilogue with social commentary given by Gill Scott-Heron and ends with clapping to tell you that the show is over .… Expand
Nov 27, 2010Wow, this album is amazing! This is hands down the best Kanye album since Late Registration. Every track is is great, no skips and theWow, this album is amazing! This is hands down the best Kanye album since Late Registration. Every track is is great, no skips and the massive amounts of guests do not weigh it down nor drown out West. I didn't expect this album to be as good as I thought, I would gladly buy 2 of them as gifts.… Expand
Nov 23, 2010An instant classic. Kanye has always delivered very solid albums, (excluding 808's and heartbreaks, IMO), but My Beautiful Dark TwistedAn instant classic. Kanye has always delivered very solid albums, (excluding 808's and heartbreaks, IMO), but My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy takes genius to the next level. Every track is unique and stays fresh for what seems like thousands of listens. The featured artists are numerous and among the most talented in hip-hop. For a while, it seemed like Kanye's career was in a slow descent, but MBDTF along with his spectacular "G.O.O.D Friday" releases will no doubt rejuvenate and reinstate Yeezy as a king of the music industry. Favorite tracks: "Monster", "Dark Fantasy", "Hell of a life", "Gorgeous", "Blame Game".… Expand
Nov 29, 2010Kanye returns with a very strong actual rap album. This is the album that has stirred inside his head for 20 years. Despite the fame, money,Kanye returns with a very strong actual rap album. This is the album that has stirred inside his head for 20 years. Despite the fame, money, and women, he truly is a psychologically troubled individual who straddles the line between unbridled ego and unbearable agony. He is a black William Burroughs - the "American Rapper."… Collapse
Jun 26, 2013Guy is such a tool it's not even funny.
He has no talent whatsoever.
Seriously people if you think this is music or that this guy isGuy is such a tool it's not even funny.
He has no talent whatsoever.
Seriously people if you think this is music or that this guy is anything more than a hip-hop hack, you're delusional.… Expand
Published: January 11, 2011Spoiler alert: Kanye West had the best-reviewed album of 2010. But which other releases impressed critics last year? We run down the 40 highest-scoring albums, and also examine the best releases of the year in various categories.
Published: January 10, 2011Our users have spoken, the votes have been tallied, and we have your picks for the best of 2010 in movies, games, TV, and music. Don't expect another victory for Kanye West or The Social Network; Metacritic users had something else in mind.
Published: December 6, 2010Throughout the next two months, we'll be tracking the year-end Top Ten lists published by various music sites, magazines, and more. Find out which albums are currently in the running for best album of the year.
|Led Zeppelin IV [Remastered] - Led Zeppelin|
|Doolittle 25 - Pixies|
|The Basement Tapes Complete: The Bootleg Series Vol. 11 - Bob Dylan|
|The Velvet Underground [45th Anniversary Super Deluxe Edition] - The Velvet Underground|
|Houses of the Holy [Remastered] - Led Zeppelin|
|Physical Graffiti [Remastered] - Led Zeppelin|
|Bloodstone & Diamonds - Machine Head|
|Black Messiah - D'Angelo|
|Gentlemen At 21 [Deluxe Edition] - The Afghan Whigs|
|Offering: Live at Temple University - John Coltrane|
|Start Together [Box Set] - Sleater-Kinney|
|Apex Predator - Easy Meat - Napalm Death|
|G Stands For Go-Betweens, Vol. 1 [Box Set] - The Go-Betweens|
|Complicated Game - James McMurtry|
|No Cities to Love - Sleater-Kinney|
|RTJ2 - Run the Jewels|
|Sun Zoom Spark: 1970 to 1972 [Box Set] - Captain Beefheart|
|The Mindsweep - Enter Shikari|
|Ten Love Songs - Susanne Sundfør|
|Extra Painful - Yo La Tengo|