6.6

Review this album

1. May 11, 2012
    'My Best Friend Is You' is so different to Nash's first album, 'Made of Bricks', yet it has her unique, alternative style all over it. Every track here is expertly composed by Nash herself and brilliantly produced by Bernard Butler. You definitely need to be a fan of Nash's first album, which feeds you into her quirky songwriting, otherwise songs like "I Just Love You More" and "I've Got a Secret" become irritating and tiresome with their repetitive lyrics. Despite this, Nash's lyrics have made a huge jump forwards, as have her vocals; the idea of suicide is assertively handled in "Take Me To A Higher Plane", with Nash shouting that "everyone I f***ing hated is in this room", while "Paris" handles the problems of growing up and loneliness, with Nash solemnly chanting "you said you'd lend me anything, I think I'll have your company". There are a few looks back to her debut album with songs like "Pickpocket" and "I Hate Seagulls" but these are overshadowed by the more magnificently produced new sounds of "Do-Wah-Do" or "Early Christmas Present" - even "You Were So Far Away", a slow, whispery story of a prostitute who gets urinated on, manages to stand out through it's amazing production. Another highlight is the spoken piece, "Mansion Song", with Nash brashly spitting out a feminist crusade against groupies. Overall a great album that's quite plainly just so much better than her first album - Nash has more to say and showcases this with her fierce vocals and clever composing, all wrapped up by Butler who clearly understood Nash's quest for merging 60s girl-group with Riot Grrrl, achieving this as much as anyone could. Expand
  2. Sep 7, 2011
    My Best Friend is You, the sophomore album by Kate Nash, is a great example of how an artist can mature, after taking a break, writing songs and taking inspiration, this is the result. Lead single 'Do Wah Doo' shows a mix of the 60's sound, borrowed from The Shirelles, The Supremes and many others, and her very own style of piano pop. With a surprising subtlety leading up to the climax of the song when Nash lets out 'Well I think she's a **** The song oozes jealousy and underlying emotion camouflaged in the cheery piano/trumpet accompaniment. In tracks such as 'I Just Love You More', 'I've Got a Secret' and 'Take me to a Higher Plane' Nash shows her alter ego, in these tracks, Nash shows the personality (and voice) of a rock goddess, but still allows herself to be seen accessible through the simplicity of her lyrics and the messages these songs carry. Opening track 'Paris' takes a nod back to 'Made of Bricks', the somewhat pessimistic track about losing friends and growing up in general leads us into a false sense of bliss with the strong, vibrant piano lead. Second single 'Kiss that Grrrl' once again, takes a nod to the 60's sound with the strong surf guitar accompaniment. The lyrics show a somewhat humorous view of a failing relationship, on the same note as previous hit 'Foundations', once again, the story is of a girl getting jealous of another, and this is Nash's own fairy tale, the chorus however, shows the strength and bluntness that her personality can hide, 'Kiss that girl and I will shrink up, and I will cry and I will think up, a thousand ways that I can hurt you, and you will never touch my hand' through this she releases the feminist lying within, showing that a woman can win over a man. The later track 'Later On', the third single from the album, 'Early Christmas Present' and 'Pickpocket' almost blend together. The mood is somewhat killed by track 'You were so Far Away', the theme of the song is unclear and I am sad to say it lets the album down a bit. Nevertheless, the album is picked up by 'I hate seagulls', an acoustic track reminiscent of 'Birds' (excuse the pun), and at the end is a secret bonus track, also acting as the title track, all in all, a great album, which I highly recommend. Highlights are 'Paris', 'Do Wah Doo' and 'Early Christmas Present'. Expand
  3. Jul 30, 2011
    It's on par with her previous record, 'Made of Bricks', but this one is a bit more mature in terms of sound and I like the rhymes better. Standout tracks are 'Paris', 'Kiss That Grrrl' and 'Take Me To A Higher Plane'.

1. The hit-and-miss nature of her words wouldn't be so noticeable if the music was more of a distraction. But the skittering sub-Motown fare accompanying much of this album fails to muster a chorus worth savouring.
  2. My Best Friend Is You builds on her more conventional 2008 debut, Made of Bricks, with a punchy, almost dizzying mix of garage-rock bedlam, scene-skewering snap, and sweet girl-group melodies.
  3. My Best Friend Is You hasn't got the immediate freshness of Made Of Bricks, and it can make for a disorientating, uneven listen at times. Yet it's never anything other than compelling and demonstrates that, despite what a lot of people thought when she first appeared, that Kate Nash could well be around for a good few years yet.