My One And Only Thrill - Melody Gardot
8.7

Review this album

1. Feb 14, 2011
    Soulful, encompassing, at times even spine tingling. Strong words perhaps, but the more I listen the more the powerful vocals and melodies grip me.

Standouts on this album include "Lover Undercover" - grab your headphones, close your eyes and let the soaring chords, piano interludes and smoky vocals transport you. "Our Love Is Easy" blends a strong contemporary jazz feel with just the right amount of classical and orchestral accoutrements. "My One and Only Thrill" blurs the lines even further with jazz and ballad notes with a full sixty-second orchestral interlude halfway through the track.

Whether it's chill out Sunday afternoons, or evenings in front of the fire, add this to your playlist.

1. A model of crisp economy and deep craft, Gardot's singular vision spans bossa nova ("Les Etoile"), blues ('Who Will Comfort Me'), noir ('Your Heart Is as Black as Night'), art song ('The Rain'), and a fistful of romantic ballads that are at once timeless and thrillingly original.
  2. Gardot's wistful, breathy voice belies her youth and the unobtrusive competence of this album effortlessly belies the difficulties she has striven to overcome.
  3. This followup to her successful Worrisome Heart is mostly wistful, sometimes strings-accompanied originals.