Native - OneRepublic
8.3

Review this album

1. Mar 27, 2013
    Honestly, I wasn't expecting any good stuff from them when I first heard their single "If I Lose Myself". Not because that song isn't good or something but only because they can do better, they are known for much broader view of pop rock genre and they provide the mainstream with fresh sound just like their previous records did. I like Native more than I liked Waking Up. It's better in every possible way. Ryan Tedder is a genius when it comes to melodies, compositions and musical arrangements. Of course, there are average songs, too, but when you listen to great ones, you will be blown away. The drum beat in "Can't Stop" is just marvelous, that song has so much power! The best songs are: Can't Stop; Au Revoir; Counting Stars, I lived; Burning Bridges Something's Gotta Give; Life in Color... oh, what the hell, listen to the whole record! I am proud to admit that OneRepublic is one of my top favorite bands, they make music that gives you a strong feeling, takes you to another level. Expand
  2. Mar 27, 2013
    Honestly, this is one of the very few albums that I've ever given a full 10/10 score, it's just even better than expected! The music is colorful, the vocals are amazing, the melodies seem to lift you up from the ground. Literally one of the best and most uplifting albums to ever grace my ears.
  3. Mar 27, 2013
    With Native, OneRepublic seem to have finally come to the realisation that Tedder's hip-hop influences come across significantly stronger when the music surrounding it takes a synthetic turn. In the past where cellos stood atop hip-hop beats, there now sits a polished synthesiser. It's moves like this that allow bands like OneRepublic to not necessarily change their sound, but simply increase their range as a band. They still can't quite seem to shake off the Coldplay tag (songs such as 'Preacher' don't do them many favours in this respect) and here, Native sees them reacting well to a current trend, rather than setting one themselves. But it appears that OneRepublic have finally found their stronger sound thanks to a clever idea to bring in outsiders to help with the writing process. Expand
  4. May 30, 2013
    *UPDATED REVIEW* OneRepublic's Native is a decent third album that gets better and better with every revisit. This album takes a different musical direction from their previous albums into a new and colourful sound. Though unfortunately some songs are weaker than others and that affects the album, the best songs being "Feel Again", "If I Lose Myself", "Can't Stop", "Counting Stars", "Preacher", "Life in Colour", "Burning Bridges" and "Au Revoir". Overall, it is a good album with some moments that aren't as pleasurable as others. Expand
  5. Mar 29, 2013
    OneRepublic has done it again! Native is stacked with terrific songs, great production and lyrics filled with gravitas. The boys really hit their stride from tracks 2 through to 10, never missing a beat. It's hard to choose just a few but if forced the standout track are; Burning Bridges, If I lose Myself and Can't Stop. Any fan of OneRepublic's previous efforts with thoroughly enjoy this new album as well. Expand
  6. Apr 26, 2013
    All the positive traits you've come to expect from OneRepublic & more remain here. The first taste of the album we got (in mid 2012 before it even had a name) was lead single Feel Again, which has a building & repetitive (in a good way) structure in an almost Mr. Brightside-like way of repeating a word-packed verse twice over the course of the song, that really works well at putting across the uplifting meaning of the song, which is also solidified through the oft-repeated short refrain “I’m feelin better since you know me I was a lonely soul but that’s the old me”. The next single (and currently the newest) If I Lose Myself is a synth-laden track (and the closest OneRepublic has ever gotten to a “dance” song) about wanting to be with loved ones during times of danger. There’s also a lot of highlights to be found within the deep cuts, showing that this band can capable of more than just a few singles per album with a bunch of filler around it. One especially notable track is Can’t Stop, easily OneRepublic’s most soulful song to date. It combines pounding drums, a thin layer of reverb & sparse piano, and a very passionate vocal delivery from Ryan Tedder that (saying this with full self-awareness of how ridiculous it may sound) reminds me a lot of Frank Ocean’s channel ORANGE. It seems like lately OneRepublic has aimed to put one fuzz-filled riff-rocker on every album. On Waking Up it was Everybody Loves Me, and on Native it’s Light It Up, complete with slightly distorted vocals & a rousing “AAAAAAAAAH” refrain. A few tracks incorporate gospel-style vocals into the mix but the track that does it both the most & the best is penultimate track Preacher. Even though the members of OneRepublic are Christian, this is the only song of theirs (as far as I know) to have a blatantly religiously-themed message. It tells tales of Tedder as a kid with his grandfather, the titular preacher, and how he maintained his faith through hard times while also teaching some words of wisdom. Songs with similar messages of struggle include opening track Counting Stars, which has a great fast-paced cadence to it in the verses, and I Lived, meant to be a message to persevere through times of adversity & not be afraid of taking a few risks. And the great thing is that none of these oft-covered topics feel phoned-in or corny, but instead feel genuine & have a good amount of personality, both lyrically & musically. However, that’s not to say Native is without its less than impressive tracks. Three that come to mind are the pretty but unmemorable Au Revoir, the unintentionally psychotic & masochistic lyrics of What You Wanted, and the just plain bad-sounding bonus track Something’s Gotta Give. Still, besides those choice gripes this is still a very well-written & enjoyable pop-rock album, and I’m even more a fan of them now than I was a few years ago.

Top 5 tracks: Feel Again, Preacher, Counting Stars, Can’t Stop, If I Lose Myself
    Score: 82/100
  7. Apr 26, 2013
    I was a huge fan of the second album and wanted more of that. But the fact is you don't. But saying that this album is layered beautifully. And the vocals are full of emotion and soul. And that is what makes onerepublic's new album so great. It drives you to emotionally attach yourself to every single song
  8. Mar 28, 2013
    i didnt listen to rock album like native lomg time ago its energetic deep and brilliant album onerepublic gives us something deserve to be one of the best music in 2013
  9. Dec 19, 2013
    'Native' is the same from beginning to end, all the songs seems the same, and the singer is the most normal thing you can imagine, you find someone equal without even looking, and better too.
  10. Mar 26, 2013
    We've been waiting for a long time, but they're finally back, and OneRepublic has not disappointed. After listening to their singles, I was worried from listening to their singles that they drifted too far from their roots, but they still have their unique touch. Ryan Tedder's lyrics may not be as deep, but he's still has an amazing voice. The album has a faster style to it overall, but the music still gives that cinematic feeling OneRepublic has been known for. If you've been a fan so far, I'm sure you'll be satisfied with what these guys have to give here. Best Tracks: Counting Stars, I Lived, Au Revoir, Preacher, If I Lose Myself (Acoustic) Expand
  11. Apr 19, 2013
    I was truly disappointed at the first place, as I, being a huge fan of 'em, didn't want them too join the crowd. Firstly, why so much computer when you have genius musicians around? Why so much auto-tune in Tedder's original voice? I mean, Justin Bieber would auto-tune, Nicki Minaj would auto-tune, but why on this mighty planet Ryan Tedder would auto-tune? It was really heartbreaking how they placed thoughtless party tracks on the top of the tracklist and screaming 'upbeat' on the media!

But, however, I started to love some tracks when I listened again. And I found this was 'Native' all about. Being wild...! They've dreamt, and woken up. Now its the time for them to celebrate the life! So, there was the third album, with the anthems of life! Then the little issues faded away. Tracks like 'Au Revoir', 'Preacher', 'Burning Bridges', 'Can't Stop' and 'Life in Color' gave the profound sense of relief that the band was still from the same genre 'Unique Music'.

Anyway, one objection still remained, they could have recorded the acoustic tracks differently. I found the vocals were same, just mixed with new instruments. However, 'What You wanted' and 'Burning Bridges' still sounded better when played with the acoustics.

Overall, its obviously 'generally favorable', as they say. So, if you buy a record, you won't be fully disappointed. My promise. You just may have to listen to it more than once!
  12. May 2, 2013
    Their best album so far! Each song is amazing and different. Tedder's voice is better than ever, first time I heard him singing falsetto for the whole song. They wrote lyrics for most of the songs together, so they all worked on this album very hard and you definitely can see that.
  13. May 12, 2013
    It's not really all that. It's a nice album, but the only good tracks are the 1st 3 singles, Feel Again, If I Lose Myself and Counting Stars. I listened to the album just because of the 1st 2 singles power on me. This album wasn't that good, but if you wanna hear it, have fun!
  14. Jul 2, 2013
    amazing amazing album .can stop listning !love them so much 'feel again 'inspire me!Tracks such as "Au Revoir" and "I lived" weave lyrical expression that is thoughtful and enjoyable
  15. Aug 11, 2013
    Even though this album does not beat their old ones, the songs are catchy, different, and striky. Listen to it!!!! The songs are beautiful. Onerepublic is so underrated!
  16. Sep 22, 2013
    This album just screams eargasm in all directions. listen to if i lose myself, fast forward to 1:30 turn on headphones with max volume it will blow you away. and i also have to mention counting stars, feel again, what you wanted, au revoir, something gotta give and life in color. also that dude can freaking SING man and the instrumentation is really cool aswell! a strong 8!!!
  17. Sep 7, 2013
    I usually get bored of songs very fast, but in this case I listen like a psycho, over and over again to this album. The songs don't sound at all like "Diamonds" or "Dog days are over" and I know because I am a musician too. My favourite songs are: "Can't stop", "I lived" and "Burning bridges". Amazing album and Ryan Tedder does a hell of a job!
  18. Oct 21, 2013
    I find it really difficult to come to terms with poor "critic" reviews on music. Music, like most things, is about finding appeal with an audience; and OneRepublic has aced that. Taking a twist on what made Waking Up such a hit, Native shines as having astoundingly well built songs that combine Tedder's unique voice with moving drum beats and catchy synth weaving. In terms of entertainment value, Native is one of the best albums of the genre to come out in a while. Expand
  19. Dec 30, 2013
    As much as I love this album, I'm surprised at the success it has attained and likely will attain. I'm sure Counting Stars won't be the last major song off this album. Or at least I hope...
  20. Nov 11, 2013
    Love this cd new reviewer reviewing my favorite cd's of 2013 live in las vegas on the edge of the valley and counting stars had me hooked from the first track, during the hot summer nights, counting stars in the back yard the whole album is heart-felt, intense, dramatic and lovely. Love this cd!
  21. Apr 1, 2014
    I'm reviewing the regular version and not the deluxe.

Counting Stars (9) This is a great track to open their album, it's upbeat and lively. I think that this album is better than their last album even though they do have some great tracks on the last one as well. The clapping element in the background is good I think and I'm glad I don't have the clapper. On that note, I do lose a
    little sleep when It's cold out in Ohio since I don't like signing leases or anything for that matter.

If I Lose Myself (9.25) This is one of my favorite songs on the album. It just really correlates with the whole message it is sharing with the listener. The whole harmonic tone the chorus puts off is really great as well as the electronica sounding guitar/sound whatever it might be. The music video as well is very positive and upbeat and when it comes to art, everything is tied to my scores.

Feel Again (9.25) This song is also amazing and the effects in the music video really are awesome as well. The lyrics are my favorite part of the song because I can connect with them and they are very heartwarming. The little guitar near the end of the song really adds a nice element. I can see why OneRepublic chose this song as one of their singles.

What You Wanted (9) The most powerful part of this song is most certainly the chorus with the use of electronica. The piece has a very soothing tone and it really shows the artistic ability of OneRepublic. The guitar piece at the end is really good as well.

I Lived (8.5) This song has a great acoustic sound, but it is most certainly for women in the beginning. The chorus is very powerful and the message is very lively and gay as in happy. The melodic chant in the middle end is really great.

Light It Up (8) The guitar riff in the beginning reminds me kind of of Zeppelin. The filter OneRepublic uses on the vocals is really cool too. The chorus is catchy as well and gives the song a good tone. When the song picks up is near the middle end when OneRepublic incorporates the use of electronica in the piece.

Can't Stop (9) The beat in the beginning gives this track a great melodic beat that could be semi associated with hip hop. The vocals really give the song a really dynamic sound and make it stand out to me. The Piano element later in the song is really great as well, along with the drumming in the end.

Au Revoir (9.25) This piece is really beautiful on how it incorporates Strings and Piano well. When the electronica is incorporated later, it really helps the song build especially when the percussion kicks in. The pace of the song and how it changes really help me enforce the score I gave the song.

Burning Bridges (9.25) This song is another one of my favorites on the album. It's mostly because of the power chorus with my favorite line being 'you set me on fire.' The percussion is great in this piece is great as well and the positive message that is reinforced within the tone. #TheHungerGames

Something I Need (8.5) This track has some what off an upbeat jazzy beat (I hope that is the right classification lol). The song really picks up later and the looping chorus is really melodic and when it eventually changes to a different lyric base and proceeds to go back to the looping with more instrumental power, it really adds a good element to the song.

Preacher (9.25) This is probably my favorite track on the album by far because it reinforces the whole idea of taking the initiative and it talks about scars as well as the deVil (read it right to left and V's are arrows, especially if your a United States Marine). I guess I make the analogy with the whole grandfather part because of how I look at everyone who is my elder as a teacher in some sort of way. I also think the 'million miles from a million dollars' line is really great because A-list Celebs that are millionaires have to0 worry about getting robbed, beat up, or shot when they go into some areas.

Don't Look Down (9) This is a great track to end the standard edition of the album in a very peaceful sense kind of like Angels And Airwaves piece called Diary they lead off their Stomping The Phantom Brake Pedal album with.
  22. Apr 17, 2014
    First time I listened it I was so disappointed because first two singles (Feel Again and If I Lose Myself) led me in very different direction from what album turned out.
    Album's opener, Counting Stars, is amazing - rich in sound, catchy, fierce, grandiose gospel. Makes you stand up and dance instantly. It is no wonder it was a summer hit. It was inevitable. Second and third If I Lose
    Myself and Feel Again, are on same trace, and then goes what seems weak spot(s) of the album. But in fact it is due to energy exhausted in first three songs. I Lived is little spark in that cohesion. I'm saying cohesion because if you don't pay attention to it you may miss really great songs like Can't Stop, Au Revoir (Apologize can be found in traces) or Preacher.

The thing is - songs on this album have probably wittiest, most well written lyrics I have heard in a while. With a storyline, no pathetic verses, cliché rhyming etc. and they can be found outside of hits. They are just overshadowed by the first three songs. This songs are not catchy, far away from hit, and can't even be remixed, like they don't belong here... It seams like OneRepublic had enough songs for two albums but decided to put them in just one. I think it would be better if they made double album -- first one with hits and second with this hidden treasures and acoustic version (some of them can be found on the Deluxe edition). This way album for some inpatient listener has taste of mediocrity, which is far away from what album really is.

Some other notes about this album include two question. First one being: where is one of the OneRepublic's sound trademarks - cello? Because acoustic version with the more prominent cello of If I Lose Myself is better than the one from original album. And second, why Burning Bridges was not released in December? It would fit great in Christmas time!

1. Jun 11, 2013
    OneRepublic’s latest effort proves that they are at the top of their respective genre, and it may be time to stop looking at them as the prince waiting-in-the-wings and finally hand them that goddamned crown.
  2. May 13, 2013
    Occasionally, things lift out of the bluster--unfortunately, in the case of Preacher, a terrible lyric--but even the Everybody Wants To Rule The World guitar on Life in Color or the relatively stately synth-pop of Something's Gotta Give can't make Native Anything but a great gas giant of a record. [Jun 2013, p.103]
  3. Mar 26, 2013
    The craftsmanship is painstaking and impressive: layer upon layer of glossy keyboards, reverberant guitars and choirlike backing vocals (although Mr. Tedder applies too much obvious Auto-Tune to his leads). But these crystal-palace productions are proud showcases for unctuous, sometimes oddly morbid lyrics.