Native - OneRepublic
8.1

Review this album

1. Mar 27, 2013
    Honestly, I wasn't expecting any good stuff from them when I first heard their single "If I Lose Myself". Not because that song isn't good or something but only because they can do better, they are known for much broader view of pop rock genre and they provide the mainstream with fresh sound just like their previous records did. I like Native more than I liked Waking Up. It's better in every possible way. Ryan Tedder is a genius when it comes to melodies, compositions and musical arrangements. Of course, there are average songs, too, but when you listen to great ones, you will be blown away. The drum beat in "Can't Stop" is just marvelous, that song has so much power! The best songs are: Can't Stop; Au Revoir; Counting Stars, I lived; Burning Bridges Something's Gotta Give; Life in Color... oh, what the hell, listen to the whole record! I am proud to admit that OneRepublic is one of my top favorite bands, they make music that gives you a strong feeling, takes you to another level. Expand
  2. Mar 27, 2013
    Honestly, this is one of the very few albums that I've ever given a full 10/10 score, it's just even better than expected! The music is colorful, the vocals are amazing, the melodies seem to lift you up from the ground. Literally one of the best and most uplifting albums to ever grace my ears.
  3. Mar 29, 2013
    OneRepublic has done it again! Native is stacked with terrific songs, great production and lyrics filled with gravitas. The boys really hit their stride from tracks 2 through to 10, never missing a beat. It's hard to choose just a few but if forced the standout track are; Burning Bridges, If I lose Myself and Can't Stop. Any fan of OneRepublic's previous efforts with thoroughly enjoy this new album as well. Expand
  4. Apr 26, 2013
    I was a huge fan of the second album and wanted more of that. But the fact is you don't. But saying that this album is layered beautifully. And the vocals are full of emotion and soul. And that is what makes onerepublic's new album so great. It drives you to emotionally attach yourself to every single song
  5. May 2, 2013
    Their best album so far! Each song is amazing and different. Tedder's voice is better than ever, first time I heard him singing falsetto for the whole song. They wrote lyrics for most of the songs together, so they all worked on this album very hard and you definitely can see that.
  6. Jul 2, 2013
    amazing amazing album .can stop listning !love them so much 'feel again 'inspire me!Tracks such as "Au Revoir" and "I lived" weave lyrical expression that is thoughtful and enjoyable
  7. Aug 11, 2013
    Even though this album does not beat their old ones, the songs are catchy, different, and striky. Listen to it!!!! The songs are beautiful. Onerepublic is so underrated!
  8. Sep 7, 2013
    I usually get bored of songs very fast, but in this case I listen like a psycho, over and over again to this album. The songs don't sound at all like "Diamonds" or "Dog days are over" and I know because I am a musician too. My favourite songs are: "Can't stop", "I lived" and "Burning bridges". Amazing album and Ryan Tedder does a hell of a job!
  9. Oct 21, 2013
    I find it really difficult to come to terms with poor "critic" reviews on music. Music, like most things, is about finding appeal with an audience; and OneRepublic has aced that. Taking a twist on what made Waking Up such a hit, Native shines as having astoundingly well built songs that combine Tedder's unique voice with moving drum beats and catchy synth weaving. In terms of entertainment value, Native is one of the best albums of the genre to come out in a while. Expand
  10. Dec 30, 2013
    As much as I love this album, I'm surprised at the success it has attained and likely will attain. I'm sure Counting Stars won't be the last major song off this album. Or at least I hope...
  11. Nov 11, 2013
    Love this cd new reviewer reviewing my favorite cd's of 2013 live in las vegas on the edge of the valley and counting stars had me hooked from the first track, during the hot summer nights, counting stars in the back yard the whole album is heart-felt, intense, dramatic and lovely. Love this cd!
  12. Aug 1, 2014
    I'm reviewing the regular version and not the deluxe.

Counting Stars (9) This is a great track to open their album, it's upbeat and lively. I think that this album is better than their last album even though they do have some great tracks on the last one as well. The clapping element in the background is good I think and I'm glad I don't have the clapper. On that note, I do lose a
    little sleep when It's cold out in Ohio since I don't like signing leases or anything for that matter.

If I Lose Myself (9.25) This is one of my favorite songs on the album. It just really correlates with the whole message it is sharing with the listener. The whole harmonic tone the chorus puts off is really great as well as the electronica sounding guitar/sound whatever it might be. The music video as well is very positive and upbeat and when it comes to art, everything is tied to my scores.

Feel Again (9.25) This song is also amazing and the effects in the music video really are awesome as well. The lyrics are my favorite part of the song because I can connect with them and they are very heartwarming. The little guitar near the end of the song really adds a nice element. I can see why OneRepublic chose this song as one of their singles.

What You Wanted (9) The most powerful part of this song is most certainly the chorus with the use of electronica. The piece has a very soothing tone and it really shows the artistic ability of OneRepublic. The guitar piece at the end is really good as well.

I Lived (8.5) This song has a great acoustic sound, but it is most certainly for women in the beginning. The chorus is very powerful and the message is very lively and gay as in happy. The melodic chant in the middle end is really great.

Light It Up (8) The guitar riff in the beginning reminds me kind of of Zeppelin. The filter OneRepublic uses on the vocals is really cool too. The chorus is catchy as well and gives the song a good tone. When the song picks up is near the middle end when OneRepublic incorporates the use of electronica in the piece.

Can't Stop (9) The beat in the beginning gives this track a great melodic beat that could be semi associated with hip hop. The vocals really give the song a really dynamic sound and make it stand out to me. The Piano element later in the song is really great as well, along with the drumming in the end.

Au Revoir (9.25) This piece is really beautiful on how it incorporates Strings and Piano well. When the electronica is incorporated later, it really helps the song build especially when the percussion kicks in. The pace of the song and how it changes really help me enforce the score I gave the song.

Burning Bridges (9.25) This song is another one of my favorites on the album. It's mostly because of the power chorus with my favorite line being 'you set me on fire.' The percussion is great in this piece is great as well and the positive message that is reinforced within the tone. #TheHungerGames

Something I Need (8.5) This track has some what off an upbeat jazzy beat (I hope that is the right classification lol). The song really picks up later and the looping chorus is really melodic and when it eventually changes to a different lyric base and proceeds to go back to the looping with more instrumental power, it really adds a good element to the song.

Preacher (9.25) This is probably my favorite track on the album by far because it reinforces the whole idea of taking the initiative and it talks about scars as well as the deVil (read it right to left and V's are arrows, especially if your a United States Marine). I guess I make the analogy with the whole grandfather part because of how I look at everyone who is my elder as a teacher in some sort of way. I also think the 'million miles from a million dollars' line is really great because A-list Celebs that are millionaires have to0 worry about getting robbed, beat up, or shot when they go into some areas.

Don't Look Down (9) This is a great track to end the standard edition of the album in a very peaceful sense kind of like Angels And Airwaves piece called Diary they lead off their Stomping The Phantom Brake Pedal album with.

1. Jun 11, 2013
    OneRepublic’s latest effort proves that they are at the top of their respective genre, and it may be time to stop looking at them as the prince waiting-in-the-wings and finally hand them that goddamned crown.
  2. May 13, 2013
    Occasionally, things lift out of the bluster--unfortunately, in the case of Preacher, a terrible lyric--but even the Everybody Wants To Rule The World guitar on Life in Color or the relatively stately synth-pop of Something's Gotta Give can't make Native Anything but a great gas giant of a record. [Jun 2013, p.103]
  3. Mar 26, 2013
    The craftsmanship is painstaking and impressive: layer upon layer of glossy keyboards, reverberant guitars and choirlike backing vocals (although Mr. Tedder applies too much obvious Auto-Tune to his leads). But these crystal-palace productions are proud showcases for unctuous, sometimes oddly morbid lyrics.