Neon Bible

• Release Date: Mar 6, 2007
8.8

Review this album

1. Dec 10, 2012
    A truly spectacular Album, as are all three albums so far. Their best? Well to rate Arcade fir Albums against each other is not a matter of which is better, but simply personal opinion. This though is my favourite of the three. Awesome songs include - All of them, lol. My truly stand out songs are Keep the car running, Intervention and No cars go.
    Oh and one more, My body is a cage makes
    Oh and one more, My body is a cage makes me weep every time. Enough said, Arcade fire are geniuses.
  2. Aug 7, 2011
    For a kid who grew up in a conservative evangelical home, this record speaks right to me. Heartbreaking and brilliant from the first track to the last. It's extremely difficult to rate an Arcade Fire over another, but this one definitely stands out.
  3. EliasK.
    Mar 23, 2007
    Doomsday never sounded so good.
  4. Nov 5, 2013
    Powerful album for powerful people. But, really, Neon Bible is a worthy sequel to Funeral. Pulling from many of the same angst filled areas as Funeral, it manages to craft an interesting and novel dialogue between the listener and the band. Engaging and well worth the time spent listening.

5. j30
    Nov 8, 2011
    Not as good as it's predecessor, but still relevant in their songwriting and progression as a band. I like how they get down with their darker side, where Funeral seems lighter with a bit more of a pop feel.
  6. MikeB
    Mar 8, 2007
    I think I actually like Neon Bible more than Funeral. . .and that's saying something.
  7. BrianC
    Apr 18, 2007
    Four listens in, I can't get into it. I'm not a fan of crystal-clear radio pop, but I just can't get into the production. I think The Arcade Fire had the element of surprise when they released the shockingly mournful "Funeral". For me, the songwriting and thematic elements don't quite match up, and sometimes fall flat. This album has some high moments, and some lows. I Four listens in, I can't get into it. I'm not a fan of crystal-clear radio pop, but I just can't get into the production. I think The Arcade Fire had the element of surprise when they released the shockingly mournful "Funeral". For me, the songwriting and thematic elements don't quite match up, and sometimes fall flat. This album has some high moments, and some lows. I can see the appeal, but this album is actually far less accessible than "Funeral" and just can't get on board. Rating: 7.3/10.0 Expand
  8. PaulC
    Mar 3, 2007
    This album is phenomenal. I'd almost go so far as to say its better than Funeral. Almost.
  9. tiffanyb
    Apr 2, 2007
    i love this band and there music
  10. matta
    Mar 2, 2007
    First of all, it is a damn shame this has dropped down to an 81 already. The Playlouder is just stupid and unfair. They pretty much say it would be really good if it was anyone else, but because it's the Arcade Fire, and the expectations are high, it sucks. That makes no sense. If it's good, it's good-they shouldn't be punished just because they put out what is widely First of all, it is a damn shame this has dropped down to an 81 already. The Playlouder is just stupid and unfair. They pretty much say it would be really good if it was anyone else, but because it's the Arcade Fire, and the expectations are high, it sucks. That makes no sense. If it's good, it's good-they shouldn't be punished just because they put out what is widely considered one the best albums of the decade so far. Anyway, this album is brilliant. Lyrically, it's probably an improvement on Funeral, and while it contains nothing that reaches quite the highs of tracks like "Crown of Love" or "Wake Up," it is just consistently good, if not moreso, than Funeral. "Black Mirror" "Intervention" "Ocean of Noise" and "The Well and the LIghthouse" are all gorgeous. The best album of the year so far. Expand
  11. Kelly'1'
    Mar 9, 2007
    I finally understand the term 'art-rock'; and that term is not pretentious here. The most cohesive album since OK Computer
  12. SI
    Apr 2, 2007
    'Intervention' is a theatrical god send. The entire record is blasphemously grand.
  13. AaronN
    Apr 7, 2007
    As probably the only guy who liked Neon Bible more than Funeral, I thought I'd make my voice heard. The Arcade Fire's last CD was beautiful, but so incredibly subtle that you could only really grasp it if you focused on it and listened. This didn't make it any worse, but I prefer this one because it's a lot more obvious. The softer tunes express well, and so do the As probably the only guy who liked Neon Bible more than Funeral, I thought I'd make my voice heard. The Arcade Fire's last CD was beautiful, but so incredibly subtle that you could only really grasp it if you focused on it and listened. This didn't make it any worse, but I prefer this one because it's a lot more obvious. The softer tunes express well, and so do the heavier tunes ("My body is a cage" is stunning). It's clear that they tried hard to live up to the hype surrounding them, and they succeeded. Expand
  14. markb
    Mar 10, 2007
    I agree with one of the reviews that said this was much more "goth." It sounds a lot like Echo and the Bunnymen, but Echo and the Bunnymen's Ocean Songs is better. Good stuff, but more derivative than Funeral.
  15. DecepticonPom
    Mar 12, 2007
    Wow - I think this has provoked the most polarised user comments of any album on Metacritic! Personally, not nearly as good as the flawless Funeral, but still gut wrenchingly honest and melancholly. A wonderful experience.
  16. JA
    Mar 10, 2007
    The music is magnificent, feels like an expansion of their debut sound, a lot darker, richer, and with much improved production. However, the lyrics are pretty bad in some songs. Some of the rhymes make me cringe, my least favorite existing in the title track. An improvement in some ways, a detraction in others. Still one of the greater releases so far this year.
  17. CrabsodyInBlue
    Mar 10, 2007
    Some people in this forum select 10 or 9 rating very easily. It's a very good album but it is not masterpiece. Which should be the rating for albums as The dark side of the moon, Highway to Hell, Ok Computer etc. etc then? 1000? 2000?
  18. PeterL
    Mar 1, 2007
    Better? Worst? Simply different and as good as.
  19. t0nyS
    Mar 2, 2007
    imo, not as good as funeral, but then again, funeral took awhile for me to like it. At first listen i enjoyed it alot, hopefully as the listens build up it follows suite, much like funeral. I give it an 8, check it out!
  20. Mårten
    Mar 2, 2007
    If this is not a 10, I dont know what it! Its not Funeral, its better.
  21. Forreal
    Mar 2, 2007
    Woah! ALbum of the year???
  22. TomN
    Mar 2, 2007
    I loved Arcade Fire's Funeral album and their EP. But, if I had rated Neon Bible two weeks ago on my first listen I would have only rated it an 8. However, I have found myself listening to this album almost exclusively since then and would now rate it an easy perfect 10. It takes a little while to sink in but this album is ultimately one of my favorite albums of all time.
  23. DamianM
    Mar 2, 2007
    Funeral will be album of the decade. Neon Bible may just have to settle for album of the year :)
  24. SamC
    Mar 2, 2007
    So Great!! Have fun singing along to all the great tracks!!!
  25. ajprimo
    Mar 2, 2007
    Funeral was one of the best, if not the best, album of the decade. Saying Neon Bible isn't as good as Funeral, although true, shouldn't take away from it. Requires a couple listens but once you "get" the album, it "gets" you. On repeated listenings I've gravitated towards the second half of the album , songs 6-11, more than the 1st. Solid sophmore effort...can't wait Funeral was one of the best, if not the best, album of the decade. Saying Neon Bible isn't as good as Funeral, although true, shouldn't take away from it. Requires a couple listens but once you "get" the album, it "gets" you. On repeated listenings I've gravitated towards the second half of the album , songs 6-11, more than the 1st. Solid sophmore effort...can't wait for the hat trick!!! Expand
  26. Chris
    Mar 2, 2007
    Killer album, grows on you like funeral. However, it also takes the band in a slightly different direction, the lyrics are much more rooted in politics and whats happening in the world right now. I'd agree with others who've posted, this pretty much solidifies Arcade Fire as one of the first truly great bands of the decade, and the best Canadian Indie band ever.
  27. dingusg
    Mar 30, 2007
    the reason why older NA indie bands are unrecognized is that they can't compete w/TAF. wah wah. if you've ever seen a live show, you know what i'm talkin about.
  28. ChuckS
    Mar 4, 2007
    even though it's cool to slag off the arcade fire now, i just can't do it! this album is great!
  29. SinderV
    Mar 4, 2007
    One of the best albums of the 2000's. Whatever its excesses may be, they are easily justified.
  30. MichaelD
    Mar 4, 2007
    Two of the biggest mistakes seen in most sophmore albums are that they sound exactly the same and/or lack the musical talent that was seen in its predecessor. The Arcade Fire has created something that equals, or even improves, on their previous musical effort. Not only that, they have taken a new direction altogether... and they pulled it off.

1. So, Funeral was by no means a fluke. The Arcade Fire are unquestionably the real deal. And to prove it they’ve now thrown in another contender for ‘best record of the decade’.
  2. The Canadian septet are the greatest art rock group since Talking Heads stopped making sense.
  3. Alternative Press
    While devotees of Funeral... will surely enjoy Neon Bible, the album does have a decidedly different feel than its predecessor--mainly, there seems to be less of an emphasis on choruses. [Apr 2007, p.182]