Neon Bible - Arcade Fire
8.8

Review this album

1. Dec 10, 2012
    A truly spectacular Album, as are all three albums so far. Their best? Well to rate Arcade fir Albums against each other is not a matter of which is better, but simply personal opinion. This though is my favourite of the three. Awesome songs include - All of them, lol. My truly stand out songs are Keep the car running, Intervention and No cars go.
    Oh and one more, My body is a cage makes
    me weep every time. Enough said, Arcade fire are geniuses. Expand
  2. Aug 7, 2011
    For a kid who grew up in a conservative evangelical home, this record speaks right to me. Heartbreaking and brilliant from the first track to the last. It's extremely difficult to rate an Arcade Fire over another, but this one definitely stands out.
  3. Nov 5, 2013
    Powerful album for powerful people. But, really, Neon Bible is a worthy sequel to Funeral. Pulling from many of the same angst filled areas as Funeral, it manages to craft an interesting and novel dialogue between the listener and the band. Engaging and well worth the time spent listening.

4. j30
    Nov 8, 2011
    Not as good as it's predecessor, but still relevant in their songwriting and progression as a band. I like how they get down with their darker side, where Funeral seems lighter with a bit more of a pop feel.
  5. Sep 24, 2010
    Because Funeral was just a complete and utter masterpiece, there is no way Arcade Fire can top their debut. It is said true here as it is not up to snuff with Funeral. Instead, they give a completely different sophomore effort. Instead of having a collection of atmospheric, haunting and heart felt songs from Funeral, they give a straightforward effort with a mixture of songs from the jangly pop jives, the dark but grandiose and to the absolute energetic. It is a definite listen and an easy one at that as it is Arcade Fire's easily listen able but also a darker, more frontal experience. Expand
  6. Nov 2, 2010
    Every single song in this album is amazing, everything is done perfectly. I still cannot decide which one I like more but this album defined a period of my life, I can't even imagine how many times I've listened to it.
  7. Sep 2, 2012
    Yes I'm writing this review in 2012, but now I've revisited this album after not giving it a fair chance the first time. I'm pleased to say that there is not a weak song on here. The other thing I like about it is the sense of cohesion and unity of mood that pervades. It really is a fun and engaging listen, and I daresay is my favorite AF album.
  8. Nov 14, 2011
    I think its hated on far too much because of how anti-religious this album is. Its not anti-religious in a bad way, Its merely saying that religion (while widely accepted) causes a lot more problems then what it is worth and that one day we will have to choose to keep it or abandond it. I loved this album and imo its the best album Arcade Fire put out.
  9. Nov 23, 2010
    Neon Bible is a joyous listen. Every song is absolutely magnificent. It was a great big step in the right direction from their first masterpiece Funeral. It's dark, perfectly written, compellingly instrumental and a beautiful voice from Win Butler. This album was my favorite album at one point. I could never stop listening to it. All In All, Neon Bible has some of my favorite songs of all time on it and its a fantastic album. Expand
  10. Apr 21, 2011
    Following on from a fantastic debut record is always tough work but The Arcade Fire have passed the test with Neon Bible. At times it might lack the emotion and passion that was felt on Funeral, as the band has traded that sound for a heavier indie rock sound that utilises the distorted guitar much more than on Funeral. It also sounds a little overdone at times, such as on Black Wave Bad Vibrations, which is a dark and overcrowded piece of music. However on tracks such as No Cars Go and Keep The Car Running there's an incredible amount of spirit and vibe that can only have you praising The Arcade Fire. It might not be the equivalent of Funeral, but overall it's a solid indie rock follow up.
    Best tracks: Keep The Car Running, The Well And The Lighthouse, No Cars Go
  11. Jun 8, 2013
    Listen to it alone in the dark at night.
    My four personal favorite tracks: Keep the Car Running; Black Wave Bad Vibrations; Windowsill; No Cars Go.
    Enough said.
  12. May 16, 2011
    My least favourite Arcade Fire album, though still pretty outstanding... I love Black Mirror and My Body Is A Cage, though the only song that brings the score of this album down is Keep The Car Running
  13. May 12, 2011
    i enjoyed listening to this album. it was great. i still got to listen to funeral. but i really do like this one a lot. it had some great songs on this record
  14. Oct 19, 2011
    It was always going to be impossible to follow up Funeral. Expectations on this album were probably a bit too high. It's actually quite a good album but where Funeral was fresh and vibrant, Neon Bible sounds a bit stale and jaded before it even gets going. Apparently the record was written while the band were still touring Funeral - which comes across on the record. The fact that one of the strongest tracks on it, No Cars Go, was hanging around for years illustrates this point. Still, if you take Funeral out of the equation (yes that's my 4th time mentioning it) and take this album on its own merits, it's well worth getting into and has some gems on it. The songwriting at times is a little bit pompous which takes away from the songs and the production is also a bit ott. Expand
  15. Nov 29, 2011
    Easily their best work. I think people hate it so much because the entire album is pretty much saying "F" religion. While the band's sound is different, Its different in a good way. I loved this album.
  16. Jan 24, 2012
    My favorite Arcade Fire and one of my favorite (if not the favorite) albums of all time. I loved so many songs off this album and imo this is Arcade Fire at their peak.
  17. Mar 2, 2012
    I think that Funeral is the best Arcade Fire's album, but Neon Bible is my favorite. It's no pretentious but ambitious. The band made a very good album.
  18. Mar 19, 2012
    The album is different from Funeral, darker than Funeral, but I do not believe weaker than Funeral. The songs are still powerful, still excellent. It isn't just a bunch of songs lumped together, as is so common - this is a real album, with a certain theme binding its tracks together.
  19. Jan 21, 2013
    I consider myself an Arcade Fire fan but Neon Bible just lacks the amount of variety present on Funeral and The Suburbs. Neon Bible does have impressive orchestration especially in the new rendition of No Cars Go. But overall this album is lacking in songs that pop out and lacks the amazing variety that their other two albums have.
  20. Feb 23, 2014
    Arcade Fire’s sophomore release has a shaky beginning and a mid-album crisis, but is altogether a confirmation of the immense talent the Canadian band has shown on their debut and an establishment of them in the indie scene. Neon Bible isn’t the same as Funeral though: Win Butler, Régine Chassagne, and co. have got bleaker, but also clearer with their social criticism. As the album’s title indicates, the eleven tracks primarily serve as condemnations of television and religion, whether it’s through the perspective of Joe Simpson, exploiting his children for his own purposes (“(Antichrist Television Blues)”), or a man addressing his father (“Windowsill”). The result is highly intelligent and interesting music and shows a lot of new aspects of Arcade Fire, some of them better than anything they’ve ever shown before. I don’t mind about not entirely enjoying every single song, as Neon Bible is a musical progression that prophesies a great future for the band – whatever future that might be. Expand
  21. Jan 2, 2014
    [9.8] Neon Bible is really Arcade Fire's fullest album in a retrospective sense. It has the powerful emotion of their first record, the cohesiveness of their style in general, and grandiosity which gives this album specifically the dark tone that makes it so god damn tense and exciting. If it weren't for just a small bit of underwhelming material, that certainly isn't bad, this might be a perfect album. The vocals are always tense, the strings sections, the organs, the guitars, and all of the other instruments are constantly exploding, and what really makes a statement is this album's lyrics. Taking on a seriously dark dystopian atmosphere, this album goes through some familiar territory with a generational paranoia. It's hard to point out flaws in this album unless you just don't care for this kind of music. Expand
  22. Aug 16, 2013
    Arcade Fire, trying to outshine Funeral, have created a melodramatic, overdone work. It has some good songs but just doesn't have the heart of Funeral.
  23. Apr 15, 2014
    It has the power and the spectacle to attract you into listening. It has the sadness and grief and anger and fear and desperation that will make you stay. This masterpiece is slightly lesser of an album than The Suburbs. I listened to their Album of The Year first before any other albums of theirs, and to my surprise, the sequencing and tracklisting here had slight problems. No Cars Go should be at the very end. It has that climatic feeling that will leave the listener devastated and ruined forever but in a good way. Also, it's awkward hearing Win shouting to the crowd and trying to lead them somewhere without nowhere to go. Expand

1. So, Funeral was by no means a fluke. The Arcade Fire are unquestionably the real deal. And to prove it they’ve now thrown in another contender for ‘best record of the decade’.
  2. The Canadian septet are the greatest art rock group since Talking Heads stopped making sense.
  3. While devotees of Funeral... will surely enjoy Neon Bible, the album does have a decidedly different feel than its predecessor--mainly, there seems to be less of an emphasis on choruses. [Apr 2007, p.182]