• Record Label: Geffen
8.0

Review this album

1. paulj
    Aug 5, 2005
    When a hip-hop artist can incorporate the Fifth Dimension and Jim Morrison into an album- it has to be grand. Mos Def, who frequently played a guest role on the Chapelle Show, shows why he is one of the most thoughtful artists in the genre today. Mos purveys and critiques North American and hip-pop culture. Though the albums lacks (minutely, I might add) in places, it nevertheless remains When a hip-hop artist can incorporate the Fifth Dimension and Jim Morrison into an album- it has to be grand. Mos Def, who frequently played a guest role on the Chapelle Show, shows why he is one of the most thoughtful artists in the genre today. Mos purveys and critiques North American and hip-pop culture. Though the albums lacks (minutely, I might add) in places, it nevertheless remains an incredible album. Collapse
  2. MuhammadK
    Apr 26, 2005
    At First I was a bit thrown 'cos it wasn't what I was expecting, but as I really began to listen to it, I couldn't help but flow with it. It really showed the jaggedness of reality in the music and the words. Brilliant.
  3. AmyS
    Oct 22, 2004
    Like a fine wine, ya need to sip it first to get the taste in your mouth and then take another sip to judge it (hint: listen to it twice). The flavor in this album is so fresh, those that don't enjoy it just can't hang because they're too narrow minded and were expecting Back On Both Sides again...mos def still holds the title for underground's golden boy.
  4. KossTheory
    Oct 26, 2004
    All I can say is wow...After the second listen I was hooked, mesmerized...What an accomplishment. I'm baffled by people who don't like this, but maybe I shouldn't be.
    Jan 2, 2005
    There seems to be a lot of people who dont like this new sound...what needs to be understood is that this album is one that was not meant to follow in the footsteps of his other work...this was a work of passion...and its hot
  6. Aug 16, 2010
    This album is not the taste of all. Alternative Rap people. It may not be for all of america but Mos' blend of Rap and Rock gets you pumping your head to every verse. Good job Mr.Dante Terrell Smith. Pure Masterpiece.

In a world where 50 Cent name-drops [Talib] Kweli, Mos Def wants to keep the line between indie hip-hop and major-label rap nice and blurry. [Oct 2004, p.112]
  2. It’s largely half-baked in its execution.
  3. Although Mos Def sometimes finds the casual groove he's looking for, this disc is surprisingly dreary and oddly abstract. [1 Nov 2004]