8.4

Review this album

1. Oct 8, 2010
    Even though some of their songs on this album are from other albums or EPs that never really made it big it's still wonderful to listen too. Modest Mouse is one of my favorite badn and this album (even though not the best) still continues to make me love the. The song writing in brilliant and the sounds are bizarre at times but still modern and fresh. It's something I can just keep listening too. I love it! Anyone who hasn't heard it has to listen to it. Expand

1. Each of these eight leftovers can be divided into rote, by-the-numbers Modest Mouse rock jams and meandering pseudo-experiments that feel, uncharacteristically and disappointingly, like nothing more than filler.
  2. Given its years-spanning tracklist, No One's First obviously has a retrospective flavor, but it also seems to point the way ahead for Modest Mouse, if only to suggest that the band will continue moving in opposite directions--backwards and forwards--all at once.
  3. Boring when they're not acting out, but too jarring when hitting their groove, Brock and company are forced to toe a finicky line between normalcy and absurdity.