7.5

Review this album

1. Sep 24, 2013
    Not only Drakes best album, but one of the best in the genre for years. Every song is masterfully put together, showcasing both the talents of Drake and 40. Thankfully and ironically when you consider the title, a lot is the same in terms of Drizzy's ability to create material as fantastic as this. Another home run.
  2. Sep 27, 2013
    People on here claiming that if you don't like Drake, you don't know music are the prime example of why the music industry f*cking sucks and has since '95.
    This album was terrible, i even gave it a chance (I haven't listened to rap in years)
    You cannot tell this is a "Classic" album, it doesn't take more than one guy to make beats and talk fast over them.
  3. Sep 25, 2013
    Too much autotune and singing. Album is average at best, drake will never reach Kendrick's level. It's a disgrace to call this rap, its too soft. Go back to your wheelchair and try again
  4. Sep 24, 2013
    One of the best artist in the game!!! This albums beats sound amazing and are so smooth! Love every song in this album! This is a must get its worth it believe me GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Sep 24, 2013
    One of the best albums I've ever heard, period. Right up there with Take Care, if not surpassing it. Drake has really grown as a lyricist, singer, rapper and just overall artist. Nothing Was The Same is an instant classic.
  6. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake isn't rap. It maybe a form of hip hop-certainly a part I can do without. I can positively say he speaks real and is different from alot of things out there. I liked maybe 2 tracks at most. But less than half the tracks on the Cd actually have him rapping. The rest are attempts at singing or something like that. If I want singing I can find much more talented artists to listen to.
  7. Sep 24, 2013
    Lyrically, not much of a progress from the last album. Beats however are amazing and 40 did a great job.
    Anyway, "Nothing was the same" is his best album so far.
  8. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake at its finest, whether you were a fan or not this album would definitively blow you away. The music and lyrics are on point and Drake goes on by himself keeping guest rap verses to the minimum.
  9. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake falls maybe two amazing tracks short of greatest rap album of the decade. As it stands I gave him a 9/10 if you can't appreciate Drake you don't understand music. To put it in perspective I listened to Jay-Z's album once. I've listened to Drakes 7 times on repeat just today. His music is on a level of its own. It's almost always ahead if it's time. You listen the first time and it's like "I don't get it" after the third time through you find yourself nodding. After the 5th time you begin to understand. The king is here and I don't see anyone taking the throne until he's ready to give it to them. Expand
  10. Sep 24, 2013
    This album is very good. I'm not the biggest Drake fan but songs like "Tuscan Leather" and "Paris Morton Music 2" make me appreciate him more as an artist. This is definitely his BEST album.
  11. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake's paints a vivid landscape in his 3rd and most defined studio offering. While Take Care was a commercial masterpiece NWTS is a sonic masterpiece. The album plays more like a Nicolas Winding Refn movie then a rap CD... there are no true winners nor losers here. No good guys or bad guys. Even when he brags he almost checks himself at the same time. I've only listened to it from top to bottom once but I already know this will be this genre's Pet Sounds. It's complexity aside from the syrupy fantastic Hold On We're Going Home is almost too much to ingest in one sitting. This will be playing in my car, iPhone and computer all fall and winter I'm sure.
    As for one negative reviewer claims this is 13 yr old girl music...I really don't see how a 13 yr old can relate to 90% of this record to be honest. It's kinda sad when the only thing some naysayers can come up with is "Wheelchair Jimmie". It's getting old. Time to get over it and move on with your lives.
  12. Sep 26, 2013
    I don't know if this is Drake best album or not, but is the best album of the year by far....

I put a 9 in all songs, exept Own it, Worst behavior, Connect and 305 To My City who has 8's and 7's, it's so difficult to find a rap album to have all songs good, the last time i see something like that was good kid ma.a.a.d city, but i think this is better......
  13. Sep 24, 2013
    As a rap album, it disappointed as I expected. This is not a rap album, plain and simple. It's too corny/soft to be one. Rappers can be vulnerable, but Drake takes it to another level where it's hard to take seriously. But when you take it for what it is (pop with a little rap and little r&b), there is a decent album here. Drake doesn't push himself lyrically too much if at all, but production wise this album is very good. If you can ignore Drake's corny lyrics, you can definitely vibe to his songs since the beats are great and his flow is okay. Drake thinking he is a real rapper when he isn't is what holds the album back. But the production really makes this worth a listen. P.S. the song "305 to my city" is one of the worst songs I heard in a while. It is awful. Collapse
  14. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake Did his Homework!!!!!! Can't tell if it his best work ever? Did not have the well rounded sounds of "So far Gone" and fells different from the drake we've grown to know, but he did well.
  15. Oct 3, 2013
    Good album. Some tracks in there are really great But overall, it doesn't rise to the same level of his previous work. His flow is still as nearly impeccable as it was, and his singing is good well. It's just that in terms of lyrics and beats, it felt like more of the same.
  16. Sep 27, 2013
    No one expected a classic mixtape, but So Far Gone was that and Drake blew up. He got signed to Young Money and in one year he released his debut. Thank Me Later was a very mainstream sounding album and it was criticized for not being as good as So Far Gone. Drake has expressed his dislike for Thank Me Later. Then Drake came out with Take Care, a deep and personal album and arguable hip hop classic. Drake connected with fans and critics on that one, the true successor to So Far Gone. Nothing Was the Same tops anything he has put out yet. Most of the album is not radio-friendly, and what is has already been released as a single. Drake shows his true lyrical capabilities on this album and his flow is unbeatable.

I don't normally throw around classic, but Drake is a hardworking artist and So Far Gone and Take Care are already classics. They were quality albums, sold well, and changed hip hop for the better. Nothing Was the Same is definitely his best work to date. It may not be classic, but it is damn close to classic.
  17. Oct 18, 2013
    Honestly when started from the bottom came out I thought this album would be dope.
    But then it hit the shelves and it was some sack with him singing and crooning.
    Besides for a few decent spurts of lyricism by drake, this album is borderline retarded, I lost all respect for everyone who worked on it, even jay z who is a legend. That song cake is stupid. Just hold on showed the Canada
    in him. Don't buy it if you like rap music, if you like r and b buy it but this is Canada Expand
  18. Oct 14, 2013
    Drake for some people has been called a rapper who's not a rapper for certain reasons. Here on "Nothing Was the Same" he's out to prove that he can work with some of the biggest names in the Hip-Hop industry. And while Drake's latest release has some interesting styles, overall I was disappointed and was expecting more, but fans of Drake will no doubt enjoy "Nothing Was the Same". The problem is the overall story, it feels like it's going nowhere, and feels very repetitive towards the middle of the album. The storytelling just seems lost, and Drake doesn't really know what kind of story he wants to tell here, is it an inside look on fame and fortune, or just an album to prove that Drake can rap, it's unclear. Also the album is too long at about sixteen songs it feels like almost every song is a minute or so too long. There are good things here, Drake shines on his slow moving ballads "Hold On, We're Going Home" and "From Time", that show Drake's true colors. The guest appearances are also noteworthy, which include Jay-Z, Jhene Aiko, and Detail, as they land a hand on a couple of songs. And the rhymes, beats, and sounds all sound top-rate (if again repetitive). I was let down by this album and was expecting more, but as a Rap album, it's a solid release for fans of Drake. Expand
  19. Sep 28, 2013
    Very nice album, it hits creative and emotional highs for Drake and sounds great. Drake fans will dig this but I had a couple of problems with it. Some tracks were just utter rubbish. I don't know how Drake would think that All Me, 305 To My City and Started From The Bottom would be good songs. If he just replaced these tracks and put in more songs like Too Much or Tuscan Leather it would soar. I know that Drake can make good music (Take Care rocked!) but these mediocre beats and horrible lyricism made me roll my eyes. Also may I add that Pound Cake is just depressing? The Jay Z feature is TRASH, I cant believe that he could put Jay to such bad use. My favorite tracks had to be Too Much, Come Thru, Wu Tang Forever and Tuscan Leather. Expand
  20. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake cements himself as one of rap's greats with this album, the deep woozy production and the songwriting on this is some of his best yet. People still can't take Drake seriously due to his past and that is sad and childish because they are missing out on some of the best music made to day. The album has many interesting samples, a lot of Wu-Tang inspired stuff such as the obvious Wu-Tang forever, and Pound Cake. The song "Furthest Thing" contains one of my favorite interludes with the DJ Screw inspired "smokin drinkin" transition. Too Much is one of Drake's most personal songs and Sampha's hook is impeccable. The song "Worst Behavior" is fantastic, it intends solely to offend the listener, and it accomplishes that well. Overall this album is a masterpiece and one of the best to drop this year. Expand
  21. Sep 24, 2013
    "Nothing Was The Same" is overall a great listen. Drake as a rapper is when he is at his best. Drake as a singer is when he falls flat. I also found some of the hooks to be lazy, repetitive, and left me thinking, "Is he even trying?". I thought the production saved most of the album. There were some songs on here that if it did not have the great beats on the track they would have fell flat. The production is also a more mature and focused sound with more R&B type beats. My favorite songs on this album are the ones where Drake raps because he's good at it. He has great wordplay, punchlines, lyricism, and have what it takes to be a great rapper. Drake sings, and again, I am not a fan only because I feel there are better, real R&B vocalist he could get who could sing better and examples of this are the songs Jhene Aiko and Sampha are features on. I felt Drake believed that we would accept his singing if he dropped a hot verse at the end of his songs after singing a majority of the track, but it doesn't work like that. If Drake continues to sing then he needs to do more songs like, "Hold On, We're Going Home" which may sound hypocritical, but is one of my favorites songs on the album. I really enjoyed how personal Drake got on this album as well. Drake continues to give us a introspective look inside; Fame, family, friends, women, relationships, haters, money, and his position in music. There are more positives about this album than negatives. Even if some of the negatives are bad, the positives are so good it cancels out the negatives. Drake isn't a rapper or R&B artist. Drake is just a guy who makes good music. Drake is in a lane of his own and he's succeeding at it and delivers every album including on, "Nothing Is The Same". Expand
  22. Sep 26, 2013
    His best album to date. No filler at all. I give this a 10 and Take Care a 9.5. Both are classic imo. He definitely showed his evolution on this album.
  23. Oct 11, 2013
    Simply Drake at his best. I don't understand the hate around this guy. Some people really get angry that he is successful and making good music. Lol NWTS is a must buy.
  24. Jan 15, 2014
    Metacritic....is this a joke?

Drake now has an album that is supposedly better than the MMLP. What the actual **** is going on. Drake's new album not only jumps around from pitifully forced love song to pitifully forced love song, but the instrumentals all sound practically the exact same. He has nothing new to offer, so he fabricates this "started from the bottom" BS, even though
    the little prick has been rich his whole life. Weak rhymes, decent singing, bland instrumentals.

It seems critics are pretty close to elementary school kids. They all dress the same, and the second they get a teacher who does something different, even if he/she doesn't teach them anything, they all have mini-orgasms. FU.
  25. N10
    Nov 4, 2013
    With his sophomore LP "Take Care" and songs leading up to this point, my anticipation for "Nothing Was The Same" was high but what this album suffers from is Drake's rapping abilities. Lyrically I found it weak and he tackles topics corny and boring. At times it get cringe worthy.
    His flow is good for the most part and he has his really bright moments but to often raps like "F*ck going
    platinum I looked at my wrist and it's already platinum.. ni**as talk more than b***hes these days just let that sh*t sink in.. I remember when my schedule was as flexible as she is".. man I don't know what this dude is trying to accomplish with it, I can't almost even see why people are so behind Drake on this album. With plenty mediocre verses/lines appearing on this LP I don't see how people can claim this and Drake to be great and interesting lyrically, as I once found him to be. Though he's maybe not know a top 10 rapper, as a mainstream artist he was definitely bringing something new to the game, and topping 90% of them.
    But, rhymes after rhymes, he struggles with lines, Drizzy got my trippin' to his thing, what happend to the great 2011 writes, the direction was good, but the raps was just not a do.
    Sure his a good rapper, and a much better collect for the mainstream scene, he's built and sharpened up his own lane to. Don't get me wrong, I loved "So Far Gone", "Take Care" and tracks like Tuscan Lether, From Time, Hold On We're Going Home, Too Much, and I actually enjoyed Worst Behavior a lot, it was fun and energetic. Even though his last verse on Worst Behavior started of with some Mase raps he had tight delivery to it, and the switch up on the track Furthest Thing, that's the Drake that I love, great verse on it.
    To be honest the singer-songwriter Drake was 10 steps ahead of the rapper on "Nothing Was The Same", his melodies and hooks are catchy, his singing is laidback, to top it off, the more he sang, the more I felt for this album. The R&B side was loved, he could have skipped some rapping and do more singing in my opinion.
    Aside from Drake, the production was absolutely amazing. If you just listen to 40 and all the hot producers work to it's beats and Drake's crooning and hooks then it's a great experience. However, that's not me, lyrics and delivery comes first, still a fan, but this was just not it except from some beautiful tunes and it's fantastic production. Drake needs the criticism, too many of y'all seems to be going crazy about this, but hey, Drake's raps are sneaky even though I found spots to be trashy he's not throwing them at your face when he got such a phenomenal production backing it.
    And thanks to that, the album dosen't fall under a six on the scale.
    One of 2013 most dissapointing and overrated album to be released, if not THE!
  26. Sep 25, 2013
    As a rap album, it disappointed as I expected. This is not a rap album, plain and simple. It's too corny/soft to be one. Rappers can be vulnerable, but Drake takes it to another level where it's hard to take seriously. But when you take it for what it is (pop with a little rap and little r&b), there is a decent album here. Drake doesn't push himself lyrically too much if at all, but production wise this album is very good. If you can ignore Drake's corny lyrics, you can definitely vibe to his songs since the beats are great and his flow is okay. Drake thinking he is a real rapper when he isn't is what holds the album back. But the production really makes this worth a listen. P.S. the song "305 to my city" is one of the worst songs I heard in a while. It is awful. Expand
  27. Dec 16, 2013
    I'm generally new to Drake, but since "Started from the Bottom" & "Hold On, We're Going Home" gave me completely different impressions I figured I'd check this out as a full-length introduction. I definitely like it more than I don't, even if I'll have more to say on the negative side of things. The album starts with 2 great songs that capture the best of both sides of Drake's songwriting. “Tuscan Leather” has a very interesting instrumental, taking one vocal sample & manipulating it into 3 differently-paced & equally well-arranged beats, one for each verse of the chorusless track. Lyrically it's basically brag-rap, but the kind of brag-rap I can get behind, more than anything because it sounds authentic in a way. He takes the time to feel rightfully confident about his success, while never getting overly obnoxious or idiotic about it. Is it complicated or clever all the way through? Not exactly. But I think it does what it set out to do pretty well. Same could be said about closing track “Pound Cake Paris Morton Music 2”, which has a decent verse from Jay-Z & another great vocal sample-driven beat. Meanwhile tracks like “Furthest Thing”, “From Time” & “Too Much” lament the effect these successes have on personal relationships & the conflict presented between loved ones & fame in a really clear & effective way over comparatively much more downbeat & solemn instrumentals driven by atmospheric synths. And while “Hold On, We're Going Home” has a few lovey-dovey cliches & can be a bit repetitive, but I still can't help but love it as a well-written smooth R&B-laced pop song. Either way, it's clear that Drake does have the talent to make songs with moods this different work cohesively together.

Unfortunately I feel like he can't really carry either of those personalities over the duration of a whole hour-long album, since after a while both tend to get stale. On the braggadocios side of things, for me “Worst Behavior”, “The Language” & “All Me” (feat. the always insufferable 2Chainz & Big Sean) are all major low points, filled with lazy about wealth delivered with a delivery that sound like he's not even trying to have any real flow or cadence. Then there's “Started from the Bottom”. Look, if you've seen any kind of criticism of this song then you've heard the arguments that he grew up an actor on a very popular show & lived in an upper-middle class neighborhood with a very stable home life, which is far from “the bottom”. Also that his ideas of “struggle” are traffic & the occasional argument with your parents. But I read an interview where he said that his real troubles were with getting into the rap game transitioning from TV. Which really makes this song more of a wasted opportunity than anything else. I would've found a song where he details the problems he faced making this transition in the beginning of his music career very interesting if he put enough good thought & imagery in there. Instead he made a short, lazy throwaway single that didn't exactly help convince hip hop fans that he's worth listening to. But on the other side of things you have these monotonous breakup songs that just drag the album down for me & paint Drake as a whiny prick who just won't let go of the past. One more track I'll mention is “305 to My City”, a bizarrely pointless love song to a stripper that's pretty much inconsequential & has a chorus that really grates on me.

The other problem I have is Drake's vocals. I get that he wants to blur the lines between rapper & singer, and he's definitely capable in both areas on a technical level, but would it kill this guy to emote once in a while?! Around 70% of the time, he's in this flat monotone that's somewhere between the 2 vocal styles that just comes off awkward to me. No matter how emotional his lyrical content might get, I can never feel him expressing it vocally. And it's not like the rapper/singer vocalist hasn't been done well before. It's just that Drake seems to be unable to decide what to do on a given song, and instead settles for a boring medium that does neither vocal style justice & only drags the song down because of it. Heck, the few moments where he dedicates a song or verse to one of these styles, like “Tuscan Leather” or “Hold On, We're Going Home”, are easily 2 of the moments on this album I found most entertaining sound-wise. Overall, I didn't dislike this album as much as I was fearing, but I didn't like it as much as I was hoping. It's a decent outing, if quite a mixed bag. While I'm not a fan of Drake quite yet, I can definitely see potential in his abilities to make an album that's great top to bottom.

Top 5 tracks: Furthest Thing, Hold On We're Going Home, Tuscan Leather, Too Much, From Time
    Score: 64/100
    (For a longer & more detailed review, look up the Facebook page "That Non-Elitist Music Fan".)
  28. Sep 24, 2013
    Possibly Drake's best album, after a few run throughs I am still left thinking that Drake has yet to put together his talent into an really top-notch album. There are moments, namely on "Tuscan Leather", "Furthest Thing", and "All Me", where I think that Drake may have finally reached his potential, but then tracks like "Own It" and "Worst Behavior" convince me otherwise. Overall, too inconsistent to be more than average, but really close to breaking through with his first win in my books. Expand
  29. Sep 30, 2013
    Drake is more confident than ever on his third album Nothing Was The Same. He uses his junior album to stake his claim as the "King of Hip Hop".
    The softer side of Drake was showcased less than in his previous projects (So Far Gone, Thank Me Later, Take Care), which may be the only weakness if there is one.
  30. Sep 25, 2013
    I think Drake lost the best rapper in Young Money once Ace Hood came in. Although this album is not bad, it's extremely forgettable and it seems like if this wasn't Drakes album, it wouldn't sell more than 10,000 copies. Song after song you get Drake singing with a touch of rap. Even though there is less singing than on his previous albums, he needs to cut back on singing a lot more. The beats were horrendous. They were these weird cloudy beats followed by some trap and bad trap at that. Also Drakes lyric game was pretty off on this. The only thing saving this album were the songs that didn't have a ton of singing and the beats that weren't to cloudy. This album is Born Sinner without the lyricism and although Drake has his moments on this thing, it's not enough to save it. Expand
  31. Nov 19, 2013
    Great album artistically. Drake's rapping isn't as good as it was in Thank me Later his best project rapping wise), but his singing is at his best since so far gone. The only thing I was disappointed in with this album were the weak singles. All me was a fairly good single, but started from the bottom and hold on were going home are downright awful. Compared to great rapping singles like over and headlines, started from the bottom is pure trash. Great album but the singles were not good. Expand
  32. Sep 24, 2013
    This album is amazing, feels so different from Take Care, its a very cohesive album and tells like a story much like Take Care did but in a more shorter sense, using different sounds, and having a new atmosphere.
  33. Sep 25, 2013
    Incredible album. Drake does it again. Production was amazing. Drake stepped up his bars. Easily the best album this year and will most likely down as a classic.
  34. Oct 4, 2013
    Drake comes out with his best album, and easily the best rap album of the year. Drake continues to show how he's the best in the game and could very well be in the forseeable future.
  35. Sep 30, 2013
    This is definitely an improvement on Drake's first two albums, but as time goes on, I'm starting to think that Drake needs to go full R&B and just leave rap alone. He had some damn good bars on Tuscan Leather, and I liked most of the singing on the album., but besides some relatively strong tracks, I don't feel like Drake is sure of his own direction. He comes off as this soft, plushy RnB rapper (which he's good at), but has lines that threaten his haters, and create a false sense of some tough guy.... worst behaviour....
    One additional note: The production was way too airy and cloudy for me to enjoy. He probably should have switched it up more. (Just my opinion.) IT would've worked if he was only singing, but the muthafu**a insists on rapping.

STARTED FROM DEGRASSI, NOW HE HERE.... definitely the worst song on the album.

Favourite songs: Tuscan Leather/ Hold On We're Going Home/ From Time/ Too Much
    Least Favourite Songs: Started From The Bottom/ Worst Behaviour/ 305 To My City
    HOW YOU FEEL BOUT, COMIN HOME WIT A NI**A FO DA NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!
  36. Sep 29, 2013
    Best Drake album to date. Nothing Was the Same is more diverse and indie than the previous two, though I do miss the dark side and unity of Take Care somehow. Drake didn't make this album "nothing was the same" as his previous works, like Kanye always does. However, he managed to make this one fresh enough and really enjoyable. I would give this a 9.5 if Metacritic let me do so, in case that I gave Thank Me Later 8 and Take Care 9. Expand
  37. Sep 24, 2013
    this album is incredible and the replay value is off the chart. anyone who hates this album is because you hate the artist personally. if have ear for music you'll appreciate the album a lot. The way he blurs the line between r&b and rap is incredible. he definitely gets my vote for album of the year, he is like a great artist of this generation like lauryn hill. the production is amazing 40 and bo1da are amazing producer. great album. we 'll see if it's a classic in the coming years. Expand
  38. Sep 24, 2013
    RAOTY. wow.. just incredible album....................................................................................................................!
  39. Sep 24, 2013
    Very good album overall. A whole range of songs touching on Drake's emotions and the production on the album was flawless. Lived up to all expectations I had.
  40. Sep 25, 2013
    This album pretty much sums up the Drake we have all grown to know. When he spits, he spits hard but he's still not afraid to show off his emotional side. This very much feels like a Take Care, what happened next? kind of thing. The lyrics and lack of features shows Drake's more confident than ever, arrogant if you will. If you missed the So Far Gone era Drake on TML and TC, you'll probably enjoy this more than any of his other projects so far.

One of the best rap albums in recent years and definitely the biggest. Well done, Drizzy.
  41. Oct 8, 2013
    Without a doubt the best Drake album. At first, I can't say that I wasn't a little disappointed, but that had more to do with my expectations then the quality of the album. I, and I think others, want Drake to pass on the singing, and do a full out rap album. After 3 albums though, it's an idea that I was able to finally let go of, and that allowed me to enjoy the album much more.

Once
    I embraced Drake's mission with this album, I began appreciating the work much more. 40 does a fantastic job on the production, and I'll say that it is the highlight of the album. The beats are consistent and compliment Drake's style brilliantly.

Drake also does rap more on "NWTS" than on "Take Care" although, they can sometimes be hidden by the more melancholy beats on the album, making the album seem less like a typical hip-hop rap album.
    Overall, a fantastic album that without a doubt benefits from how closely Drake and 40 work together, and how well they compliment each other.
  42. Sep 29, 2013
    For the record, I usually don't buy albums but I had to purchase this one because I respect Drake for his honesty and how he keeps it 100..The album is great! Not too many artists is on his level. I must admit I like majority of the tracks on the album. Believe me! You will be happy you bought it.
  43. Sep 29, 2013
    Not as good as Take Care in my opinion, but a very solid album. Drake's "confident" personality doesn't appeal to me as much and doesn't convert into great music. The sad emotions we got from do shine through in places (Too Much, From Time) and make out to be some of the best tracks on the album.
  44. Sep 29, 2013
    Not just the best album drake has made, but probably the best album of its genre in the last few years. Every song is beautifully put together and the album overall shines to show perfection. A truly great effort from drizzy, and somehow manages to be a better album than take care. I thought take care was so good that it would have been the peek of drakes career. A true masterpiece and hopefully drake takes home another Grammy because he definitely deserves it. 10/10 from me Expand
  45. Oct 2, 2013
    esperava mais desse album. esperava mais desse album. esperava mais desse album. esperava mais desse album. esperava mais desse album. esperava mais desse album.
  46. Oct 2, 2013
    Not really a first-listen album...not even a second-listen album but once you allow NWTS to seep into your consciousness it engages unlike any other record has in a long time. Very atmospheric & layered once you get over the simplistic notions of some of the tracks. In this sense it almost feels like a illusionist's trick you think you've figured out the album then you listen to it again and it's morphed itself into something else entirely. I won't be able to convince anyone that straight up hates Drake & all that he represents because there's nothing that can alter ignorance but if you are on the fence about NWTS I strongly suggest you put aside any reservations towards the artist & just take in NWTS as a complete piece. You may feel yourself rewarded. Expand
  47. Oct 3, 2013
    Drake brings another excellent album to the table with Nothing Was The Same, his third full-length album. It's hard to believe it was only four years ago since "Best I Ever Had" became his breakout hit, and a lot has changed since then. On "Nothing Was The Same," he takes an introspective approach that wins. "Started From The Bottom," the gritty lead single that made the top 10 on the Hot 100, would have been a good introduction but instead is the third track. It's the shortest song on the album.

BEST Song: "Hold On, We're Going Home" f/Majid Jordan- This synthpop groove with immaculate production has made the top 5 of the Hot 100 and with its instantly catchy meoldy it will hook listeners right off the bat.

WORST Song: "Furthest Thing"- On this track, Drake's rapping doesn't go along with the beat. The beat is pretty fast but Drake takes time with his words and the end result is a jumble of sound.

Highlights: "Started From The Bottom," "Hold On, We're Going Home," "Wu-Tang Forever," "All Me"
  48. Oct 7, 2013
    A truly complex album which gets better upon each listen. I wasn't fully sold on it at first...it didn't grab me like Take Care initially did but I find myself drawn to it more and more now. It has so many layers that each play through opens up new meanings and feelings. Potentially album of the year.
  49. Oct 14, 2013
    one of the best album have listen this year, easy listen replay value is great. drake's bars and melody is better than previous albums. the more time you give the more it grows on you
  50. Oct 23, 2013
    Drake shows that he can be a very respectable musician; however, there are tracks on this project that prevent the album from being fantastic. Other than Drake's still-persistent reliance on unrealistic love affairs (for the regular people, at least) in songs like "305 To My City," he still has songs about brag gin. Not as much, but he still does it. On "Paris Morton Music," he talks about cars and the usual profligate imagery, and the nail in the coffin isn't even Drake...it's Jay-Z. Nobody wants to hear about how rich Jay-Z is anymore, nor do they care about how he says he's wealthy. This plagues his music still, and I'm done with that.

The Pros outweigh the Cons on this project though, and it just goes to show that Drake can do it. He can be diverse, have good flow, and be interesting. He did on this project...but does he want to do it? I think he does, and he dabbles in the water of reality and honesty on this one. Not bad, Aubrey, not bad at all.

Follow @PRTYNTGRVS for more music reviews
  51. Oct 16, 2013
    Clearly Drake's best album, this Metascore seems kinda bogus. Why did Popmatters write two reviews? The second take seems like a correction...

Anyway, the album cleans up a lot of the sappier and weaker moments on Take Care and is more genuine and less forgiving. The paradox of nice boy Drake vs Gangster Drake makes more sense where it is contextualised and placed on this album. More
    organic. Good album. Expand
  52. Oct 21, 2013
    Yet another album from a so called rapper. Even Lil Wayne could do better. I rate this a 3 because of it.
    Please drake, go drink some bleach. A few here and dead
  53. Oct 29, 2013
    Though this album sure does not have as much musical introspection or value as Take Care, which was more downbeat, it is more fun to listen to. However, this does not make it a better album overall. Some songs are quite amazing, and this one is sure to stay on of the charts for some time, given its consistency and hype. Give it a try, it has things to like.
  54. Nov 1, 2013
    Romantic BOY but at his adversity also devotee of women What more can I say? This album is very good, Drake sways in the vapours of absurd, but he is doing it with style. As I am big fan of connection art with music, I must appreciate the cover of album I think that this is direction of progress which artist should have take to their hearts. NOTICIFACTION :D I would advice him to add more and more singing parts to his music. It really works. Expand
  55. Nov 3, 2013
    Finally. Drake congrats on having the best rap album of the year. Drake is an artist I've always liked because he's clever. But this album is just great. This is drakes best album of the year. And this is one of the best of the year. This is an competitive year for rap. Macklemores the heist, Kanyes Yeezus, and we have the upcoming second part of Eminems Marshall mathers. And I think nothing was the same is worthy to be the best rap album of the year for the Grammys. I think it deserves all the hype. With the first song Tuscan leather to the aggressive started from the bottom. To the fancy hold on we're going home. Every song has a meaning to them. Expand
  56. Nov 4, 2013
    The album was okay, good, impressive but the fact that drake spent so much time lamenting, not feeling it.......another thing I the fact that he always comes out with simple rhyming patterns....word play is not his strong side and even worse, is his choice of topics....technically poor but hey, maybe being technically poor is his style of rapping.....
  57. Nov 17, 2013
    This album is nothing very special, but it definitely emphasizes Drake's musical abilities and what he is capable of, in general. The songs will stick in your head for about a week, but become forgettable. I'm pretty sure that I'm not buying this album, but it's nice to have it around.

Summary: Interesting, yet forgettable
    Grade: 62%
  58. Dec 1, 2013
    Drake brought a lot to the table with "Nothing Was The Same". Though I still think "Take Care" was better, NWTS is almost as good as "Take Care". Drake's delivery improved with songs like "Worst Behavior", "305 To My City", & "The Language". Songs like "Connect" & "305 To My City" makes you think twice about Drake's ability to make great music within the R&B and Hip-Hop genre. I may not be the biggest Drake fan, but he makes good enough music to make me appreciate his talent. Expand
  59. Dec 10, 2013
    After Take Care, I was anticipated this album for quite a while. Some songs caught my attention like Worst Behavior, Wu-Tang Forever and The Motion. I can say I enjoyed it but not in Take Care's calibre.
  60. CLK
    Dec 12, 2013
    Amazing song structure, personal lyrics and overall great album. Will help solidify him as a hip hop legend. Needs to stick to concept though.........
  61. Jan 10, 2014
    Nothing Was The Same I thought was a fairly decent album. Songs like Pound Cake and The Language made me feel like I was listening to some old school hiphop which I very much enjoyed. Tuscan Leather opened the album brilliantly. I thought the production of it was excellent with the change of beats between hiphop and orchestrated sound. All Me and Worst Behaviour were songs that I believed Drake put a lot of energy into which made me enjoy them. The effort really payed off. However, the downside of the album is half of it reminded me of his previous LP Take Care which made it seem too repetitive. Songs like Furtherest Thing and Own It were standouts to the claim. Wu-Tang Forever made me scratch my head. I realized that a Wu-Tang Clan sample was put into the production of the track but it just wasn't enough for me to think it was paying homage to one of the best hiphop groups of all time. Nothing Was The Same was generally overhyped and I hope Drake does try to do something new with his next project. Expand
  62. Mar 12, 2014
    The only real lack Drake has as an artist is the minimalism we take for granted from artists such as Kanye and Frank Ocean. At times the album drags, putting the listener's attention span to quite the test. But in his moments, he isn't once outmatched. Even his dragging moments have an emotional weight to them that can't simply be sped up. When he's slow, it's intentionally so.
  63. May 15, 2014
    This album was a disappointment, I heard a few songs on the radio before the relies and they sounded alright but when u listen to the album much different... This album feels rushed meaning less lyrics drakes going over the same topics song after songs, this album get boring and a joke, for example the song worst behavior is terrible, this album was a big let down. Again if your into main stream rap you'll probably like it..3.9/10 Expand
  64. Jun 4, 2014
    Read my name! Yeahhhhh. Cuz we started from the bottom now we here, started from the bottom now my whole team here n****. Best album of Drake's by far.

1. Dec 11, 2013
    Drake has certainly mastered the art of making Drake records. [Nov 2013, p.66]
  2. Nov 26, 2013
    Nothing Was The Same is straight to the point, and in just over an hour, Drake closes the book on Take Care, yet opens the chapter to a brighter future. [Nov 2013, p.89]
    Drizzy’s candid lyrics about battered egos and insecure relationships were refreshing early on in his career, but the persona is wearing thin as he recalls how rich his melancholy has made.