7.5

Review this album

1. Sep 24, 2013
    Not only Drakes best album, but one of the best in the genre for years. Every song is masterfully put together, showcasing both the talents of Drake and 40. Thankfully and ironically when you consider the title, a lot is the same in terms of Drizzy's ability to create material as fantastic as this. Another home run.
  2. Sep 24, 2013
    One of the best artist in the game!!! This albums beats sound amazing and are so smooth! Love every song in this album! This is a must get its worth it believe me GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Sep 24, 2013
    One of the best albums I've ever heard, period. Right up there with Take Care, if not surpassing it. Drake has really grown as a lyricist, singer, rapper and just overall artist. Nothing Was The Same is an instant classic.
  4. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake at its finest, whether you were a fan or not this album would definitively blow you away. The music and lyrics are on point and Drake goes on by himself keeping guest rap verses to the minimum.
  5. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake falls maybe two amazing tracks short of greatest rap album of the decade. As it stands I gave him a 9/10 if you can't appreciate Drake you don't understand music. To put it in perspective I listened to Jay-Z's album once. I've listened to Drakes 7 times on repeat just today. His music is on a level of its own. It's almost always ahead if it's time. You listen the first time and it's like "I don't get it" after the third time through you find yourself nodding. After the 5th time you begin to understand. The king is here and I don't see anyone taking the throne until he's ready to give it to them. Expand
  6. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake's paints a vivid landscape in his 3rd and most defined studio offering. While Take Care was a commercial masterpiece NWTS is a sonic masterpiece. The album plays more like a Nicolas Winding Refn movie then a rap CD... there are no true winners nor losers here. No good guys or bad guys. Even when he brags he almost checks himself at the same time. I've only listened to it from top to bottom once but I already know this will be this genre's Pet Sounds. It's complexity aside from the syrupy fantastic Hold On We're Going Home is almost too much to ingest in one sitting. This will be playing in my car, iPhone and computer all fall and winter I'm sure.
    As for one negative reviewer claims this is 13 yr old girl music...I really don't see how a 13 yr old can relate to 90% of this record to be honest. It's kinda sad when the only thing some naysayers can come up with is "Wheelchair Jimmie". It's getting old. Time to get over it and move on with your lives.
  7. Sep 26, 2013
    I don't know if this is Drake best album or not, but is the best album of the year by far....

I put a 9 in all songs, exept Own it, Worst behavior, Connect and 305 To My City who has 8's and 7's, it's so difficult to find a rap album to have all songs good, the last time i see something like that was good kid ma.a.a.d city, but i think this is better......
  8. Sep 27, 2013
    No one expected a classic mixtape, but So Far Gone was that and Drake blew up. He got signed to Young Money and in one year he released his debut. Thank Me Later was a very mainstream sounding album and it was criticized for not being as good as So Far Gone. Drake has expressed his dislike for Thank Me Later. Then Drake came out with Take Care, a deep and personal album and arguable hip hop classic. Drake connected with fans and critics on that one, the true successor to So Far Gone. Nothing Was the Same tops anything he has put out yet. Most of the album is not radio-friendly, and what is has already been released as a single. Drake shows his true lyrical capabilities on this album and his flow is unbeatable.

I don't normally throw around classic, but Drake is a hardworking artist and So Far Gone and Take Care are already classics. They were quality albums, sold well, and changed hip hop for the better. Nothing Was the Same is definitely his best work to date. It may not be classic, but it is damn close to classic.
  9. Sep 24, 2013
    Drake cements himself as one of rap's greats with this album, the deep woozy production and the songwriting on this is some of his best yet. People still can't take Drake seriously due to his past and that is sad and childish because they are missing out on some of the best music made to day. The album has many interesting samples, a lot of Wu-Tang inspired stuff such as the obvious Wu-Tang forever, and Pound Cake. The song "Furthest Thing" contains one of my favorite interludes with the DJ Screw inspired "smokin drinkin" transition. Too Much is one of Drake's most personal songs and Sampha's hook is impeccable. The song "Worst Behavior" is fantastic, it intends solely to offend the listener, and it accomplishes that well. Overall this album is a masterpiece and one of the best to drop this year. Expand
  10. Sep 26, 2013
    His best album to date. No filler at all. I give this a 10 and Take Care a 9.5. Both are classic imo. He definitely showed his evolution on this album.
  11. Oct 11, 2013
    Simply Drake at his best. I don't understand the hate around this guy. Some people really get angry that he is successful and making good music. Lol NWTS is a must buy.
  12. Sep 30, 2013
    Drake is more confident than ever on his third album Nothing Was The Same. He uses his junior album to stake his claim as the "King of Hip Hop".
    The softer side of Drake was showcased less than in his previous projects (So Far Gone, Thank Me Later, Take Care), which may be the only weakness if there is one.
  13. Sep 24, 2013
    This album is amazing, feels so different from Take Care, its a very cohesive album and tells like a story much like Take Care did but in a more shorter sense, using different sounds, and having a new atmosphere.
  14. Sep 25, 2013
    Incredible album. Drake does it again. Production was amazing. Drake stepped up his bars. Easily the best album this year and will most likely down as a classic.
  15. Oct 4, 2013
    Drake comes out with his best album, and easily the best rap album of the year. Drake continues to show how he's the best in the game and could very well be in the forseeable future.
  16. Sep 29, 2013
    Best Drake album to date. Nothing Was the Same is more diverse and indie than the previous two, though I do miss the dark side and unity of Take Care somehow. Drake didn't make this album "nothing was the same" as his previous works, like Kanye always does. However, he managed to make this one fresh enough and really enjoyable. I would give this a 9.5 if Metacritic let me do so, in case that I gave Thank Me Later 8 and Take Care 9. Expand
  17. Sep 24, 2013
    this album is incredible and the replay value is off the chart. anyone who hates this album is because you hate the artist personally. if have ear for music you'll appreciate the album a lot. The way he blurs the line between r&b and rap is incredible. he definitely gets my vote for album of the year, he is like a great artist of this generation like lauryn hill. the production is amazing 40 and bo1da are amazing producer. great album. we 'll see if it's a classic in the coming years. Collapse
  18. Sep 24, 2013
    RAOTY. wow.. just incredible album....................................................................................................................!
  19. Sep 24, 2013
    Very good album overall. A whole range of songs touching on Drake's emotions and the production on the album was flawless. Lived up to all expectations I had.
  20. Sep 25, 2013
    This album pretty much sums up the Drake we have all grown to know. When he spits, he spits hard but he's still not afraid to show off his emotional side. This very much feels like a Take Care, what happened next? kind of thing. The lyrics and lack of features shows Drake's more confident than ever, arrogant if you will. If you missed the So Far Gone era Drake on TML and TC, you'll probably enjoy this more than any of his other projects so far.

One of the best rap albums in recent years and definitely the biggest. Well done, Drizzy.
  21. Oct 8, 2013
    Without a doubt the best Drake album. At first, I can't say that I wasn't a little disappointed, but that had more to do with my expectations then the quality of the album. I, and I think others, want Drake to pass on the singing, and do a full out rap album. After 3 albums though, it's an idea that I was able to finally let go of, and that allowed me to enjoy the album much more.

Once
    I embraced Drake's mission with this album, I began appreciating the work much more. 40 does a fantastic job on the production, and I'll say that it is the highlight of the album. The beats are consistent and compliment Drake's style brilliantly.

Drake also does rap more on "NWTS" than on "Take Care" although, they can sometimes be hidden by the more melancholy beats on the album, making the album seem less like a typical hip-hop rap album.
    Overall, a fantastic album that without a doubt benefits from how closely Drake and 40 work together, and how well they compliment each other.
  22. Sep 29, 2013
    For the record, I usually don't buy albums but I had to purchase this one because I respect Drake for his honesty and how he keeps it 100..The album is great! Not too many artists is on his level. I must admit I like majority of the tracks on the album. Believe me! You will be happy you bought it.
  23. Sep 29, 2013
    Not just the best album drake has made, but probably the best album of its genre in the last few years. Every song is beautifully put together and the album overall shines to show perfection. A truly great effort from drizzy, and somehow manages to be a better album than take care. I thought take care was so good that it would have been the peek of drakes career. A true masterpiece and hopefully drake takes home another Grammy because he definitely deserves it. 10/10 from me Expand
  24. Oct 2, 2013
    Not really a first-listen album...not even a second-listen album but once you allow NWTS to seep into your consciousness it engages unlike any other record has in a long time. Very atmospheric & layered once you get over the simplistic notions of some of the tracks. In this sense it almost feels like a illusionist's trick you think you've figured out the album then you listen to it again and it's morphed itself into something else entirely. I won't be able to convince anyone that straight up hates Drake & all that he represents because there's nothing that can alter ignorance but if you are on the fence about NWTS I strongly suggest you put aside any reservations towards the artist & just take in NWTS as a complete piece. You may feel yourself rewarded. Expand
  25. Oct 3, 2013
    Drake brings another excellent album to the table with Nothing Was The Same, his third full-length album. It's hard to believe it was only four years ago since "Best I Ever Had" became his breakout hit, and a lot has changed since then. On "Nothing Was The Same," he takes an introspective approach that wins. "Started From The Bottom," the gritty lead single that made the top 10 on the Hot 100, would have been a good introduction but instead is the third track. It's the shortest song on the album.

BEST Song: "Hold On, We're Going Home" f/Majid Jordan- This synthpop groove with immaculate production has made the top 5 of the Hot 100 and with its instantly catchy meoldy it will hook listeners right off the bat.

WORST Song: "Furthest Thing"- On this track, Drake's rapping doesn't go along with the beat. The beat is pretty fast but Drake takes time with his words and the end result is a jumble of sound.

Highlights: "Started From The Bottom," "Hold On, We're Going Home," "Wu-Tang Forever," "All Me"
  26. Oct 7, 2013
    A truly complex album which gets better upon each listen. I wasn't fully sold on it at first...it didn't grab me like Take Care initially did but I find myself drawn to it more and more now. It has so many layers that each play through opens up new meanings and feelings. Potentially album of the year.
  27. Oct 14, 2013
    one of the best album have listen this year, easy listen replay value is great. drake's bars and melody is better than previous albums. the more time you give the more it grows on you
  28. Oct 16, 2013
    Clearly Drake's best album, this Metascore seems kinda bogus. Why did Popmatters write two reviews? The second take seems like a correction...

Anyway, the album cleans up a lot of the sappier and weaker moments on Take Care and is more genuine and less forgiving. The paradox of nice boy Drake vs Gangster Drake makes more sense where it is contextualised and placed on this album. More
    organic. Good album. Expand
  29. Nov 3, 2013
    Finally. Drake congrats on having the best rap album of the year. Drake is an artist I've always liked because he's clever. But this album is just great. This is drakes best album of the year. And this is one of the best of the year. This is an competitive year for rap. Macklemores the heist, Kanyes Yeezus, and we have the upcoming second part of Eminems Marshall mathers. And I think nothing was the same is worthy to be the best rap album of the year for the Grammys. I think it deserves all the hype. With the first song Tuscan leather to the aggressive started from the bottom. To the fancy hold on we're going home. Every song has a meaning to them. Expand
  30. CLK
    Dec 12, 2013
    Amazing song structure, personal lyrics and overall great album. Will help solidify him as a hip hop legend. Needs to stick to concept though.........
  31. Jun 4, 2014
    Read my name! Yeahhhhh. Cuz we started from the bottom now we here, started from the bottom now my whole team here n****. Best album of Drake's by far.

1. Dec 11, 2013
    Drake has certainly mastered the art of making Drake records. [Nov 2013, p.66]
  2. Nov 26, 2013
    Nothing Was The Same is straight to the point, and in just over an hour, Drake closes the book on Take Care, yet opens the chapter to a brighter future. [Nov 2013, p.89]
    Drizzy’s candid lyrics about battered egos and insecure relationships were refreshing early on in his career, but the persona is wearing thin as he recalls how rich his melancholy has made.