Ode To Sunshine - Delta Spirit
8.2

Review this album

1. Jan 30, 2011
    Although my listening was warped, due to the fact that I was an idiot and listened to "History From Below" first, I truly enjoyed listening to the first attempts of a band that I believe should be huge, on the back of just two albums. The eponymous track was without a doubt my favourite on the album. Also, Vasquez's voice is just amazing, conveying an incredible amount of emotion.

1. The ex-Noise Ratchet founders shift to more rootsy territory with their new band, yielding impressive results.
  2. Despite Delta Spirit’s anarchic (i.e., creatively opportunistic) sampling of everything from cold war folk to the Cold War Kids, when the band members hit their stride--as on the rumbling, locomotive grooves of piano-stung epic Americana on 'Trashcan'--Sunshine becomes nothing less than an ode to musical joy.
  3. Catchy and pleasant but ultimately flawed, Sunshine is a solid effort from this up-and-coming band, and if they're able to harness their Southern revival hymns with the bravado of '70s guitar rock, Delta Spirit will be a force to be reckoned with.