On the Water - Future Islands
9.2

Review this album

1. Oct 13, 2011
    Future Islands is definitively one of the best live bands I have seen recently, and "On the Water" is an amazing album that finally captures their spirit. I just wish "In Evening Air" would have been recorded in the same quality.
  2. Nov 7, 2011
    Future islands is hands down my favorite band of 2011. Lead singer Sam Herring's voice is amazing, it regularly reminds me of the cowardly lion (but in a good way). As a child of the eighties any band that labels itself post wave is a-ok in my book. Give them a listen!
  3. May 30, 2013
    In between listening to the first album from Future Islands and this endeavor, I had the privilege of attending one of their concerts. I was blown away by the passion and intimacy of the performance (especially by Samuel T. Herring). I was able to meet all of the band members, which created a more concrete bond between me and their music.

They were already my favorite band of all time

They were already my favorite band of all time by then, of course, but this album further solidified my opinion. Amidst rumors that "On the Water" was going to be a slower-paced version of "In Evening Air," I was a bit hesitant that I'd like it as much. Fortunately, it was more finely tuned, personal and optimistic than I anticipated. It's hard to pick a favorite song, but mine are probably "Balance," "Before the Bridge" and "Give Us the Wind" (though "Where I Found You" is equally as impressive and heart-crushing).

I often go back and listen to some of the earlier Future Islands and Art Lord records, but when I listen to one of the songs from this album again, it reminds me how finely tuned their music is now. I can't wait for the next one.

1. Jan 11, 2012
    The band's primary strength is their ability to harness cold electronica and synth sounds to deftly create earthy-sounding atmospherics... Stirring. [Dec. 2011 p.97]
  2. Nov 17, 2011
    On The Water relies less on the vocals than its predecessor. The music is more robust, adding more layers than the minimalism of before.
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    Though it reveals apparent influences ranging from Eyeless in Gaza to Simple Minds, the Baltimore trio's third album finds the band updating rather than simply recreating. [#82, p. 55]