• Record Label: Sony
8.5

Review this album

1. BilliW.
    Feb 1, 2008
    This is the Sargeant Pepper for the New Millennium. A work of youthful genius.
  2. GuillaumePop
    Feb 2, 2008
    This is my 2008 debut album, amazing from the start to the end!
  3. ChrisM.
    Mar 19, 2008
    Best pure pop album in a long long time. The difference between them and anyone they may sound like is that they have a lot more melody, raw talent, sly unsmug humor, all around smarts, and are just plain better.
  4. AlZ.
    Apr 4, 2008
    More powerful than Destroyer. Tighter than the Flaming Lips. Less goofy than Junior Senior. Those comparisons are loose at best as this album brings a brand new sound.
  5. GigiM.
    Apr 24, 2008
    This album keeps entertaining, wowing and surprising me. Unpredictable, odd, excellent. One of the year's best.
  6. KyleA.
    Jul 17, 2008
    While at first this is album is hard to get into (past Time To Pretend) you discover the brilliance of their lyrics and the eloquence of their beats. Look out for "Kids" as the most addicting song.
  7. JJV.
    Dec 13, 2008
    I really don't understand how anyone cannot see the brilliance. The progressions are simply brilliant and are in epic in a way only David Bowie has previously done. Best Band of 2008.
  8. jasonq
    Apr 6, 2009
    best album ive heard in a while. although people may say its front-loaded, there are plenty of beautiful tracks if u just really listen to them all with an open mind.
  9. tim
    May 11, 2009
    Best cd of the year blend of all the great sounds of rock.
  10. MichaelH
    Aug 19, 2009
    Aside from Andrew VanWyngarden's beautiful and unique voice, the music of MGMT is unlike anything before it. So much melody and power pop sounds combined to make an amazing piece of art and music that is Oracular Spectacular. The album continues to thrive which each new song and there isn't one track that leaves you unsatisfied, a piece of music genius.
  11. Nov 1, 2010
    MGMT is different. They make me think psychedelic rock, but they use synths to seal the deal. This is hip. This is in. It's memorable and has me on the edge of my seat. Can't wait.
  12. May 23, 2011
    One of the best albums of the decade. Its the lyrics. The catchiness. It is just more than an album filled with one dimensional singles. Even those singles have depth.
  13. Jul 28, 2011
    Oracular Spectacular is a spectacular album. Sure, the first 5 songs may be hard to live up to, but if you listen to the last few tracks with an open mind and heart then you should see that they hold up well on their own. However if you are just looking for the best of MGMT then look no further than the first five songs.
  14. Mar 5, 2012
    An incredible psychedelic experience that will hopefully in future be seen as a classic , as it brought beauty to a dull market and has helped inspire many other artists.
  15. Jun 1, 2013
    This album is great. There are a lot of great songs on this album such as Of Moons, Birds and Monsters, The Youth, Weekend Wars and much more. I guess the only song I don't like on this album is Time to Pretend, but everything else is great.
  16. Jul 22, 2014
    MGMT are great. Andrew and Benjamin are incredible and so genius. This album is revolutionary and perfect. Fantastic sounds convey in everybody deep and mystic emotions. MGMT one of the 100 best music artists of the last 50 years. Very very very good album!
  17. Sep 10, 2017
    All along the western front, people line up to receive this masterpiece of an album. The first 5 songs of the album in particular are phenomenal. Hands down one of the best albums released in 2008.
  18. OliverC.
    Jan 31, 2008
    This album is fantastic. Every song here is great. I don't know why the critics call it front-loaded, i think "4th Dimensional transition" is the best song on the album after Time to Pretend. It doesn't have any weak points in my opinion.
  19. StevenR.
    Jan 31, 2008
    For opener "Time to Pretend" alone, this album deserves high marks, but best is that MGMT refuses to be categorized. Building upon the mostly-electric sound of their previous EP, MGMT ends up a little more rock. Very few low points.
    Mar 17, 2008
    Great album, and great live band. Sharpa, I'm sorry buddy but Sleepy California sounds nothing like Time to Pretend. Did you actually listen to the album?
  21. ErikB.
    Mar 20, 2008
    One of the best album's I've heard this year.
  22. Steve
    Mar 28, 2008
    Great. It is weird but in a good, different way. Best album I've bought in 2008.
  23. JustinK.
    Mar 30, 2008
    Oracular spectacular is one of the must have albums of 2008. With a unique sound best described as space-rock meets disco, MGMT masterfully craft every song on their debut album, with the strong point being the first three tracks. Its only downfall is that it sometimes lacks a persistent flow as an album. And to set the record straight, Time to pretend does not sound that much like Oracular spectacular is one of the must have albums of 2008. With a unique sound best described as space-rock meets disco, MGMT masterfully craft every song on their debut album, with the strong point being the first three tracks. Its only downfall is that it sometimes lacks a persistent flow as an album. And to set the record straight, Time to pretend does not sound that much like HSH's Sleepy California. It sounds as thought the song was a slight influence at best. Expand
  24. MarkD.
    Apr 2, 2008
    Where the hell did these guys come from? Out of nowhere they produced easily one of my favorite albums of 2008. A strong effort start to finish.
  25. MGrizzle
    Apr 10, 2008
    Hot fire, Unlike many other bands before them, they seem to have perfected the whole space pop rock deal. It takes a few listens to really get into the music. Song's like Kids, Time to pretend will grab you and get you hooked. What else would you expect from a Dave Fridmann production. There amazing, Lets not jump to conclusions just yet, lets see what else they pump out before we Hot fire, Unlike many other bands before them, they seem to have perfected the whole space pop rock deal. It takes a few listens to really get into the music. Song's like Kids, Time to pretend will grab you and get you hooked. What else would you expect from a Dave Fridmann production. There amazing, Lets not jump to conclusions just yet, lets see what else they pump out before we hail them as the next great thing... Expand
  26. JamesS.
    Apr 11, 2008
    A cracking little album which really captures the zeitgeist...seems to be better with every listen!
  27. Brittany
    Apr 25, 2008
    i love this album my favorite of the year so far. weekend wars and the youth are great songs!
  28. TomA.
    May 27, 2008
    A wonderfully uplifting and exciting debut from a band who seem to have appeared from nowhere on a glam-lined cloud. Although slighlty front loaded (enjoyed better on shuffle I would have to say), it is an amazing starting point, with only one or at a push two slow points. It will be very interesting to see where they go from here, and I cant wait to catch them live - what a show it must be!
  29. CristobalG.
    Jul 5, 2008
    On a very first listen, the album may not sound as promising as you could think, but after the second listen and so on, it becomes an incredibly fresh, addictive, fun, clever, shiny and original album. It's like the perfect balance between Indie and Mainstream.
  30. RobB.
    Jul 5, 2008
    Electric Feel, Kids, Weekend Wars & Time To Pretend are SO good that they score 9 on their own. The rest are less good and that's why its short of the perfect 10.

1. Alternative Press
    Oracular may be a complex effort, but the verdict is simple--it's brilliant. [Feb 2008, p.115]
  2. Under The Radar
    Though the record is slightly front-loaded, there's nary a dud to be found here. [Winter 2008, p.86]
  3. While Oracular Spectacular has its sophomoric moments (you’d be wise to avoid the nasal whine of 'Weekend Wars'), a listen to 'Climbing To New Lows'--a catchy demo set from their undergrad days--will make anyone see what attracted the bigwigs at Columbia in the first place.