Original Pirate Material

8.9

Review this album

1. MichaelB
    Jan 5, 2003
    not my genre by a long long way, but an album i can totally relate too. go buy it !
  2. CarmelC
    Dec 30, 2002
    Its everything you feel about life with Mike Skinner putting a beat to it. This really is a voice of pure observation .How can anyone beat this album ?
  3. GrumpsB.
    May 2, 2002
    yes yes yes yes this is the album I would have made if I had the time or talent /grumps
  4. JeremyD.
    Apr 1, 2002
    Refreshing, exciting, adventurous, accomplished, fun. Just buy it now - it's like nothing you've ever heard before!
  5. BubL
    Jun 14, 2002
    this is one of those albums that really makes you sit back and listen and appreciate the raw quality of the music as a whole then question why the hell arn't i making music.
  6. KristyP
    Mar 17, 2003
    I have a new fascination with british people after i heard The Streets! This is the best CD i have ever heard!
  7. Dan
    Feb 13, 2003
    A marvouls album.
  8. GobiG
    Feb 26, 2003
    Theres no such thing as a perfect album, but this is the closest you'll get
  9. DM
    Apr 6, 2003
    This is just simply awesome. Mike Skinner is the voice of a new generation
  10. susanj
    May 2, 2003
    i have'nt heard anything as good and honest as this for a long while. i felt that i should stop everything i was doing so that i didnt miss a word.
  11. henrym
    Dec 28, 2002
    anyone who reckons this is below 8 or 9 doesn't understand what this cd is all about
  12. SamanthaW
    Jan 6, 2003
    This is the best album ever, I love it. The lyrics are so good and its funny as fuck!
  13. TalieS.
    May 9, 2002
    heres how to make Dance interesting. Mike and his home studio and the collaborators are the Streets. there's an interesting combination of groove and Garage with a taster of hip hop & g-funk all accompanying some rough yet humourous jamming
  14. Ullisv
    May 14, 2003
    en 10a!
  15. MichaelG.
    Jul 23, 2002
    I'm 21, I work as a web developer and I like to go to raves. I like to record my own music and this album has not only shown what an average person can do when they want to create something, but it has inspired me to finally record my own first single! Thanks to the creator and the label, well worth my money!
    Jul 2, 2002
    buy this unless you're broke- only coinage to show
  17. CharlieM.
    Jul 7, 2002
    incredible....im 17 and this is the best album ive heard in years.....Mike Skinner is a genius!
  18. AaronK.
    Aug 5, 2002
    awesome
  19. Tetsuo
    Dec 4, 2002
    Like most people here, this LP has to be one of the most significant this year. Listening to it when I am walking downtown sends vibes and chills down my spine.
  20. KarlV
    Oct 22, 2002
    great funkin album. all 2002 hype music packed in one thang.
  21. nanaa
    Nov 7, 2002
    every song tells a story to which you're inevitabley drawn into, and the beats complement them perfectly... i havent enjoyed an album as much as this one for ages.
  22. FranT
    Dec 21, 2002
    Fuckin incredible!!!!!!!
  23. BreaA
    Dec 19, 2002
    I feel in love with the music the moment I heard it! I think Skinner is a truly talented artists who percieves life as it is without that bloody sugar coating.
  24. PaulW.
    Jul 29, 2002
    Mike Skinner aka The Streets aka the legend has crafted a whole new genre in my oppinion - I've just downloaded the album, now I'm off to buy the CD..call me silly but I feel I owe it to this guy. I'm 17 and from Northern Ireland so my mates get at me a lot for listening to it, saying its crap...but the lyrics are so brilliantly crafted and interesting I just ignore Mike Skinner aka The Streets aka the legend has crafted a whole new genre in my oppinion - I've just downloaded the album, now I'm off to buy the CD..call me silly but I feel I owe it to this guy. I'm 17 and from Northern Ireland so my mates get at me a lot for listening to it, saying its crap...but the lyrics are so brilliantly crafted and interesting I just ignore them...the brummie/mockney accent is perfect for the lyrics in question - pills, smirnoff ice and playstations - what really matters these days. Mike Skinner, I salute you...roll on the sequel to 'Original Pirate Material' !! Expand
  25. JamieS.
    Jul 2, 2002
    lyrics fit the tune and keep u listening to every word as he expresses his views on the youth and wot we believe today - i give this man all success - be brave - fist closed
  26. Oct 17, 2012
    Very inventive and unique sound mixed with some very British vocals make this an interesting listen for Americans such as myself. Worth listening to!
  27. Apr 14, 2015
    This is a great rap album. It deals with excellent topics about loss and just having a good time. Clearly The Streets knows what he's doing. Excellent album.

1. Original Pirate Material is England's first great hip-hop record mostly because it isn't a hip-hop record. It's hard to say exactly what it is.
  2. An album whose scope, diversity, wit and heart make it instantly the best album of 2002.
  3. Alternative Press
    While Original Pirate Material isn't as good as the U.K. press hyperbole would have us believe, it does prove that sentiment and sincerity are more interesting than slickness and skills. [Dec 2002, p.96]