Original Pirate Material

8.9

Review this album

1. TalieS.
    May 9, 2002
    heres how to make Dance interesting. Mike and his home studio and the collaborators are the Streets. there's an interesting combination of groove and Garage with a taster of hip hop & g-funk all accompanying some rough yet humourous jamming
  2. BubL
    Jun 14, 2002
    this is one of those albums that really makes you sit back and listen and appreciate the raw quality of the music as a whole then question why the hell arn't i making music.
  3. MarkG.
    Jun 3, 2002
    this is an awesome album. if this is english rap then im in ... the sounds are really good, and the lyrics are almost poetic in places ... and that 'all music guide' review is the exact problem with music today; 'the raps are juvenile and lightweight' ... well, look 'all music guide' reviewer-loser, the problem with a lot of todays music is people taking this is an awesome album. if this is english rap then im in ... the sounds are really good, and the lyrics are almost poetic in places ... and that 'all music guide' review is the exact problem with music today; 'the raps are juvenile and lightweight' ... well, look 'all music guide' reviewer-loser, the problem with a lot of todays music is people taking themselves too seriously (see every other rapper today, and all those awful boy bands) and not just doing it because they enjoy it ... this is a breath of fresh air (copyright cliche machine 2002) ... im not a fan of a couple of the songs, but you get that ... but all up the album is top stuff, incredibly entertaining and funny in places, and in others thinly veiled social comments ... this is excellent ... Expand
  4. JeremyD.
    Apr 1, 2002
    Refreshing, exciting, adventurous, accomplished, fun. Just buy it now - it's like nothing you've ever heard before!
  5. KCMills
    May 30, 2002
    Played it right the way through loved it, played it again.
  6. Siege
    Jun 19, 2002
    How can anyone doubt this album? original drums and bass with poetry layed on top -the last time I heard anything this good was The Criminal Minds Tales fom The Wasteland EP - bring on the new sound of urban music
    Jul 2, 2002
    buy this unless you're broke- only coinage to show
  8. AaronK.
    Aug 5, 2002
    awesome
  9. WillemH
    Oct 23, 2003
    not bestseller but cold classic
  10. kris
    Jan 2, 2003
    beautifully done!
  11. annimanni
    May 10, 2003
    to hear in every situation
  12. Flash
    Jul 30, 2003
    Picked this album in Melbourne before I moved to London, cant do the tube without it.
  13. timl
    May 2, 2004
    Amazing. The best debut of the 21st Century without question. Probably the best debut full stop since 'Definately Maybe'. Incredible.
  14. StephenC
    Feb 7, 2005
    Ooof, Now you might think that, that was a good ooof but it aint. This is an abysmal album. They call him a poet...What? Mr Skinner is a chav with no musical intuition whatsoever.
  15. MattC
    Aug 5, 2008
    Mark G. I guess that American hiphop is much better? Much better to talk about pimps, 40's and hoes This is what is wrong about society, people complaining for the wrong reasons!
  16. JimstonA
    Nov 29, 2002
    Dis Album is phat. It is seriously the best album i have experianced in a long time. A beutifully done album. Mike puts together each song perfectly. Keep up the good work Mike. TWO THUMBS UP
  17. nanaa
    Nov 7, 2002
    every song tells a story to which you're inevitabley drawn into, and the beats complement them perfectly... i havent enjoyed an album as much as this one for ages.
  18. CarmelC
    Dec 30, 2002
    Its everything you feel about life with Mike Skinner putting a beat to it. This really is a voice of pure observation .How can anyone beat this album ?
  19. ChrisD.
    Apr 30, 2002
    its sorted
  20. GrumpsB.
    May 2, 2002
    yes yes yes yes this is the album I would have made if I had the time or talent /grumps
  21. AsherD
    May 27, 2002
    Turd album made by a Brummie putting on a false cockney accent. Fully wank!
  22. RickM.
    May 5, 2002
    Absolutely brilliant album, nothing else will ever sound the same.
  23. ThomasE.
    Jun 12, 2002
    Very Good... I've been living in the U.K for 9 months now and I find the music, Garage, very good.
  24. JayL.
    Jun 4, 2002
    Excellent beats, good samples, a lot of power conveyed through this album. The lyrics are well-worth the listen, wich can't be said of most of the actual musical production. Only down note being the ever-flat-tone voice of Skinner, a few more collaborations would have given the album a less monochord feeling to it. But a must have !
  25. LeonW.
    Jul 30, 2002
    intolerable rubbish thats a chor to listen to. definately one of the most overrated albums of the year. Don't bother!
  26. CharlieM.
    Jul 7, 2002
    incredible....im 17 and this is the best album ive heard in years.....Mike Skinner is a genius!
  27. StevenP.
    Aug 16, 2002
    The Streets are well and truely Sharp Darts, Spitting Masters!! I just glad to be a passanger!!
  28. RhiannonL.
    Aug 17, 2002
    there is only one word needed to describe this album "wicked". the streets aka mike skinner is a lyrical genius and those who slate him or his album obviusly dont see class music when it slaps them in the face! when will he be doing a tour?
  29. askyermammy
    Aug 19, 2002
    a classic already, best tunes I've heard in years and one of my top five albums ever bought .. Empties what is full, fills what is empty and scratches where it itches.
  30. SheeM.
    Aug 23, 2002
    Skinner's use of imagery is amazing, transports you back to the day (weak become heros), has you in stitches (the irony of it all), and reminds you lost love. I was one of the very lucky ones to see them play thier first gig ever in Dublin, if you get a chance to see them live go.
  31. KatyMouldyMilldew
    Aug 20, 2002
    THE best thing to come out of the album music charts in years.. Clever, funny, entertaining, it's one of those albums you'll listen to over and over again and find hard to get sick of... Let's push things forward!
  32. dijital
    Aug 26, 2002
    This is home studio bangers and mash for a new generation, man. Get with it!
  33. MickD
    Aug 30, 2002
    Very 'Relative' .Great to listen to whilst pillin', i cant wait for the sequel.
  34. CraigB.
    Aug 3, 2002
    This lad has is down!! Skinner has focussed the past years into tracks. I heard "has it come to this?" & thought this boy was in my lounge, enjoying part of my life. Totally fresh. The track "weak become heroes" brought back memories of past day's. Summarising the previous day's in one. "it's too late" is one of the few tracks that has me with the odd tear in the eye. Keep This lad has is down!! Skinner has focussed the past years into tracks. I heard "has it come to this?" & thought this boy was in my lounge, enjoying part of my life. Totally fresh. The track "weak become heroes" brought back memories of past day's. Summarising the previous day's in one. "it's too late" is one of the few tracks that has me with the odd tear in the eye. Keep it up & look for the next set, especially over here in Oz!!!! Expand
  35. AnthonyL.
    Sep 10, 2002
    the best album ive heard 4 yearz. da new face of garage
  36. EmmaC.
    Sep 21, 2002
    d album is da best album out,well dun mike ITS GREAT. n mike ur very good lukin!
  37. ManoloT.
    Sep 2, 2002
    classic album. good stuff indeed
  38. Markyb
    Jan 2, 2003
    it is the poo poo!
  39. MichaelB
    Jan 5, 2003
    not my genre by a long long way, but an album i can totally relate too. go buy it !
  40. AaronL
    Jan 6, 2003
    Ranges from pretty good to totally inspired. The beats, the voice, the lyrics - everything is fresh. Great debut.
  41. PigDog
    Apr 20, 2003
    A must have.......Mike Skinner is a very hott guy and he could go very far in this career.
  42. DM
    Apr 6, 2003
    This is just simply awesome. Mike Skinner is the voice of a new generation
  43. susanj
    May 2, 2003
    i have'nt heard anything as good and honest as this for a long while. i felt that i should stop everything i was doing so that i didnt miss a word.
  44. GenevieveB
    May 7, 2003
    Original Pirate Material is ace! Hip Hop, Trip Hop and Jungle intelligently layered. Clever lyrics never fall into cheeseball humor Barenaked Ladies/They Might Be Giants quirkiness.
  45. NseE
    Sep 17, 2003
    Omigosh, wot a fab cd. From 'Turn the page', through 'Has it come to this', 'Weak become heroes', 'The irony of it all'. Cool Brittania!
  46. SpanP
    Feb 5, 2004
    **Thumbs up** :p
  47. calebm
    Apr 9, 2004
    good
  48. dai
    Jul 1, 2004
    god f*ing dammit! where's this album been all my life! best rhymes since lord byron... sit back and let ur mind be blown.
  49. JackL
    Oct 3, 2005
    This is a stokr of genius from the man Mike Skinner i also have "a grand don't come for free" both awsome living in australia but originaly from Croydon London English Hip-Hop is not that big over here but Mike skinner is certainly well liked by anyone who listens to the albums an awsome 10/10 for this one!
  50. PhilS
    May 3, 2006
    As a poet, there is no better than this working class hero. I was tempted to give this album 10, but decided not to bcause i am mean. It is really really good quality...... i mean, he is what Doherty could be
  51. ChrisC
    May 9, 2006
    This album is genius lyrically. The use of all the British slang is mindblowing and whoever cannot appreciate something different like this can rot in hell because they are closed minded.
  52. MattM
    Aug 10, 2006
    I think everyone on the forum can agree that Steven C, that guy who gave this record a 1 is a complete mindless twat. We all know what kind of person Steven is: "Just give me a good beat to dance to while I try my hardest to look tough in the club, never mind the lyrics." You are out of your mind Bro. This record is the most enthralling & interesting record that has come out in the 21st I think everyone on the forum can agree that Steven C, that guy who gave this record a 1 is a complete mindless twat. We all know what kind of person Steven is: "Just give me a good beat to dance to while I try my hardest to look tough in the club, never mind the lyrics." You are out of your mind Bro. This record is the most enthralling & interesting record that has come out in the 21st century so far. Forget about Eminem! Forget about 50 "Fucking" Cent! You are locked on to the Streets. Expand
  53. BibianeN
    May 16, 2008
    WONDERFUL. Amazingly, surprisingly goog album!
  54. JamesV
    Apr 8, 2009
    Music for those that know nothing about music.
  55. adamw
    Nov 20, 2002
    this album rocks the streets rule dont mug yourself is da best song eva its so catchy wot else is there to say it rocks
  56. JamesM
    Oct 13, 2002
    The most original album I have listened to this year
  57. HelenA
    Oct 14, 2002
    I LOVE IT!!! American's like myself that have heard this feel the same way, I can't wait til it comes out on Oct. 22 for us over here. The beat is great, and rap has never heard anything like this before! A+++
  58. voleyvole
    Nov 4, 2002
    simply amazing. mike skinner is a talented, witty geeza
  59. jofishw
    Nov 5, 2002
    Clubbers poetry!!
  60. terryb
    Dec 17, 2002
    this album is fuckin great
  61. BreaA
    Dec 19, 2002
    I feel in love with the music the moment I heard it! I think Skinner is a truly talented artists who percieves life as it is without that bloody sugar coating.
  62. KarlV
    Oct 22, 2002
    great funkin album. all 2002 hype music packed in one thang.
  63. Terryf
    Oct 23, 2002
    fantastic. period.
  64. angelac
    Dec 3, 2002
    totally raw, smack you in the face. got to love it or leave it, no inbetweens
  65. ShineR
    Oct 7, 2002
    Obnoxious blather piled over dated loops and sfx. I don't understand all the acclaim. Is it a british thing?
  66. ClareyE.
    May 11, 2002
    I have got this album and I think it is really gr8 music cos it is so different but i think sometimes the swearing ruins it and it gets a bit repetitive (when they are swearing).
  67. BryxtonT.
    May 22, 2002
    I'm from Australia and it's safe to say the The Streets have taken over down under too... AN AWESOME album that's bound to go big, no matter what country it's in!!!
  68. HenryH.
    May 25, 2002
    He's not only the saviour of 2-step,but of the whole deadly british music scene.
  69. JimP.
    Jun 15, 2002
    Very eclectic, but all good nonetheless
  70. JamieS.
    Jul 2, 2002
    lyrics fit the tune and keep u listening to every word as he expresses his views on the youth and wot we believe today - i give this man all success - be brave - fist closed
  71. MichaelG.
    Jul 23, 2002
    I'm 21, I work as a web developer and I like to go to raves. I like to record my own music and this album has not only shown what an average person can do when they want to create something, but it has inspired me to finally record my own first single! Thanks to the creator and the label, well worth my money!
  72. michaeld
    Jul 26, 2002
    Raving is bad. The youth of today are drug addicted whores. I find this album very satisfying Especially "the irony of it all". LOVELY. Look forward to the tour. See you all on the dance floor :-) X (-:
  73. PaulW.
    Jul 29, 2002
    Mike Skinner aka The Streets aka the legend has crafted a whole new genre in my oppinion - I've just downloaded the album, now I'm off to buy the CD..call me silly but I feel I owe it to this guy. I'm 17 and from Northern Ireland so my mates get at me a lot for listening to it, saying its crap...but the lyrics are so brilliantly crafted and interesting I just ignore Mike Skinner aka The Streets aka the legend has crafted a whole new genre in my oppinion - I've just downloaded the album, now I'm off to buy the CD..call me silly but I feel I owe it to this guy. I'm 17 and from Northern Ireland so my mates get at me a lot for listening to it, saying its crap...but the lyrics are so brilliantly crafted and interesting I just ignore them...the brummie/mockney accent is perfect for the lyrics in question - pills, smirnoff ice and playstations - what really matters these days. Mike Skinner, I salute you...roll on the sequel to 'Original Pirate Material' !! Expand
  74. JeremyB.
    Aug 16, 2002
    This album is a definite for your collection. This album is amazing for a debut!
  75. DonD.
    Aug 23, 2002
    Classic Lean Cuisine. Ya get me.
  76. SamA.
    Aug 24, 2002
    Genius. The most original album of our generation. Sam from Canada
  77. SumuduB.
    Sep 9, 2002
    BEST ALBUM I'VE HEARD IN AGES!!! the only album that's i've wanted to hear the second i finished it, SUCH AN AWSOME ALBUM! anyone know where i can get lyrics for the songs though (on the net)?
  78. JayC
    Jan 14, 2003
    This is incredible! A mixture between Oakenfold/The Specials/Aesop Rock.
  79. BobbyF
    Oct 16, 2003
    this cd is awesome
  80. SamanthaW
    Jan 6, 2003
    This is the best album ever, I love it. The lyrics are so good and its funny as fuck!
  81. RenataS
    luv it!
  82. Dan
    Feb 13, 2003
    A marvouls album.
  83. LisettC
    Feb 13, 2003
    The best thing since "Never Mind the Bollocks."
  84. GobiG
    Feb 26, 2003
    Theres no such thing as a perfect album, but this is the closest you'll get
  85. ColinF
    Mar 10, 2003
    Unbelieveable! People who give this any lower than a 10 should be in a mental home! People say the future of garage music comes from the streets, now the future of garage is the Streets!
  86. KristyP
    Mar 17, 2003
    I have a new fascination with british people after i heard The Streets! This is the best CD i have ever heard!
  87. DonnyC
    Mar 21, 2003
    This album makes me want to cruise london with a street sweeper.
  88. sarahb
    Mar 21, 2003
    This album is shit. There's no other man I'd rather see die right now than mike skinner.
  89. BobDylan
    Mar 22, 2003
    AWESOME! You have to get it
  90. MindyE
    Mar 26, 2003
    Skinner is my future ex-husband... Awesome CD... a must have!!!
  91. Ullisv
    May 14, 2003
    en 10a!
  92. andrewj
    May 18, 2003
    well i found this on alta vista contrary to the lyrics in one of the songs.not an incredible album,but this guy clearly has something to say i just hope he can keep to his convictions and not bow to what he is clearly pissed off at
  93. IRIEA
    Jul 16, 2003
    I picked this cd up on a whim and oh baby this thing was a jewel! A few of my boys had a listen to it during a session and it grew on them.
  94. nolanv
    Aug 23, 2003
    i first didnt like it.....then i got high and had a listen, it was love..........
  95. CiaránMcC
    Nov 8, 2004
    Bout time some gezzer did somethin diferent. The lyrics are classical and so is the album!!!!!
  96. AndreasfromNorwayGeving
    Jan 29, 2004
    Really amazing... This is real and the most impressive thing with the album to me is the lyrics. I discover new things when I listen to it today, even though I bought the album early! The best songs is Weak Become Heroes, It's Too Late and Has it Come To This. Amazing!
  97. TP
    Mar 22, 2004
    an excellent and very innovative album. fave song is 'the irony of it all'
  98. AlanB
    Mar 31, 2004
    Revolutionary! Like nothing I've ever heard before. Skinner combines a great mix of wicked samples with social commentary that we can all appreciate. "Turn the Page" is an incredible track.
  99. GordonR
    Apr 26, 2004
    Best British album in ages and Mike Skinner could be the best British lyricist since the mighty Morrissey
  100. dd
    May 14, 2004
    doesnt that dude mean cult classic

1. Original Pirate Material is England's first great hip-hop record mostly because it isn't a hip-hop record. It's hard to say exactly what it is.
  2. An album whose scope, diversity, wit and heart make it instantly the best album of 2002.
  3. Alternative Press
    While Original Pirate Material isn't as good as the U.K. press hyperbole would have us believe, it does prove that sentiment and sincerity are more interesting than slickness and skills. [Dec 2002, p.96]