Outrun - Kavinsky
8.2

Review this album

1. Feb 26, 2013
    This makes NO SENSE but this album reminds me of the FEELING I get when listening to Rage Against The Machine. Does that make sense? No. But I liked that feeling. And so I'm giving this album a 10/10 review. Because I love RATM.
  2. Mar 1, 2013
    Lets break this album down by track.
    01. Prelude; This is both cheesy and fun, but more cheesy and doesn't really immerse you into any sort of concept album feeling. 5/10
    02. Blizzard; Fun, one of my favorites on the album. Holds true to Kavinsky's unique 80s-esque style with an amazing blend of french house. 9/10
    03. ProtoVision; Heard this on youtube and had to check out the lp after
    hearing it. Sure does go great with his car chase type music video, it would be fun in a night club as well. 10/10
    04. Odd Lock; Feels like a transition song away from ProtoVision at first but then female vocals come on. Reminds me of SabastiAn a good bit. 9/10
    05. Rampage; Wow, this opens up like Modest Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald Mountain" and holds the chaotic theme throughout. There is a break in the chaos to introduce a sample that sounds straight out of old westerns or something, reminded me of Kill Bill. Nice song. 8/10
    06. Suburbia; No, no, no... The vocals destroy everything in this song. They are over the top and obnoxious. I hated this song and it through off the grove for the rest of the album. The song is still well produced, I just can't take the vocals. 4/10
    07. Testarossa Autodrive; No more vocals, thank goodness. This song sounds like something straight out of a classic arcade police chase game. Has that 8-bit type sound to it. Feels unfinished however, compared to the other songs on the album this one has minimal changes in tone and direction. I got bored with it half-way in but stuck it out just hoping it would change. 6/10
    08. Nightcall; Straight from the Drive soundtrack, but it really does belong on this album. It doesn't feel rehashed or out of place. It is a good song for the movie Drive and a good song for his zombie night rider type theme as well. Really like this song, even the vocals fit perfectly unlike in that horrible song Suburbia. 10/10
    09. Deadcruiser; This also has a 8-bit sound about it. Not bad but not great either. 6/10
    10. Grand Canyon; Well produced, but I'm starting to think the idea of marketing an album for what sounds like a movie soundtrack isn't the best idea. I'm bored, there aren't any ambient sounds like a car racing by or the likes to put me in the place this song obviously wants you to go. It would go great in a movie, but this is just boring. It wouldn't really work in a night club either, people would sort of be confused. I don't think it is bad, I think it is just out of place. 7/10
    11. First Blood; This song is fun, and even though the vocals sound somewhat out of place, they still fit better than Suburbia. The track feels like a remix of ProtoVision with lyrics stamped on top, which is just making the album longer with little effort. I honestly don't hate this song though. 6/10
    12. Roadgame; The penultimate track, time to sum up the album right? It does exactly that, very well too. It is racy, energetic, dark, and far from boring. The album really should just end on this track, it just ends everything so well. 8/10
    13. Endless; Sadly, the album doesn't end at Roadgame, instead we get the incredibly cheesy track Endless. Sounds like something out of a soap opera with Thriller narration through in. I just see the show ER when I hear this song. It isn't needed, and it isn't entertaining. 3/10

So, 91 13 7
    The album gets a 7
    But hell, maybe you think it is better than I do, maybe you think it is worse.
    Hope my review was helpful

1. Apr 1, 2013
    With Outrun on the books, Kavinsky has firmly defined himself as a musician capable of forming, and then effectively nailing, an overarching concept of artistic vision.
  2. Mar 22, 2013
    Too much of Kavinsky's debut LP is overly repetitive, and little of it leaves any lasting impact. [Mar-Apr 2013, p.100]
  3. Outrun is exactly what it aspires to be: a fun retro-pop-dance album for those who like to drive fast through cities at night, perhaps behind a pair of sunglasses.