Overexposed - Maroon 5
4.6

Review this album

1. Jul 15, 2012
    Honestly this album for the most part just feels like a big sellout to appeal to the fans of Moves Like Jagger, which is the song that turned me off to Maroon 5 for a while. There are highlights of course, like the interesting pop-reggae of One More Night, the catchy and so-obscurely-themed-it-has-to-be-sincere love song Payphone (look up the version without the rap; you'll thank me later), the dancey and lyrically clever The Man Who Never Lied, or the emotional piano ballad Sad. The rest are either cheap copies of Moves Like Jagger or embarrassingly cliche love songs. But the last track on the deluxe edition, their cover of Kiss by Prince, greatly surpasses everything else here. This cover is amazing; they took a Prince song, turned it into a blues song quite naturally, and extended it into an awesome seven-minute jam complete with guitar & saxophone solos. I wish they showed this much personality & musicianship on the original stuff! In conclusion, even as a big fan of their previous material this is an embarrassing follow-up to Hands All Over. Sure it has its highlights and the songs are catchy, but whereas they were poppy in all the right ways before, now they're poppy in all the wrong ways. Please, Adam, get off The Voice and learn how to rock again, before you drive your bandmates right into the ground! Expand
  2. Oct 21, 2012
    Clearly Maroon 5 has given up. What used to be a musically talented, always at least interesting band is now Adam Levine and a few goons who break out some **** keyboard/synth effects and make the radio the evil thing it is today. It's no longer Sunday Morning for Maroon 5... I don't even think they deserve to have the moves like Jagger.
  3. Nov 12, 2012
    I fear what we used to call Maroon 5 doesn't exist anymore. Just a bubble-gum, poppy, pointless romp meant to satisfy a much younger audience. Songs like "Wake Up Call" and "She Will Be Loved" are gone forever.
  4. Feb 25, 2014
    Besides the lucky four singles, let's be honest: who else remembers this album? At least it has the truest title in Maroon 5's career. It's 'Overexposed' and completely corrupts the image we're force fed that Maroon 5 isn't just Adam Levine -- shocking, huh? Let's get to constructive criticism though, or should I say de-constructive criticism, because Overexposed is overwhelmingly glossed up with Max Martin-Shellback typical electro hooks even fellow pop "rocker" Avril Lavigne would scoff at, Auto Tune, and just overall polish that's shiny and yes, attractive at first sight, but cold and soulless inside. Dissecting the album track-by-track is unnecessary, since everything's basically "Moves Like Jagger" rearranged without even one percent of any effort to make it sound distinguishable from that multi-Platinum seller. Although I won't exchange effort to call the album "terrible", I actually admit it: I find half-assed records more listenable than formulaic, unidentifiable top 40 compilation albums. Especially in the case of a "band" that's actually just there to solidify Levine's "rock star" image. Make no mistake though, Disney princesses are more rock 'n' roll than this stud wishes he could ever be. Expand
  5. Jun 27, 2012
    So, is this Maroon 5 or Adam Levine with a backing band? I thought they were a Group? seems like they went pop and forgot that the other members need to play instruments. The album itself is not the Maroon 5 we are used to know and love. One of the Biggest let downs of they year.
  6. Sep 9, 2012
    The fourth album from Maroon 5 as Maroon 5, Overexposed album is a true summer with success Payphone and One More Night. It's well-crafted pop with touches of rock (Lucky Strike). Adam Levine, the singer, has accustomed us to his voice can become very acute tanning in the long run. Level of melodies is ''original'' but repetitive. There are atmospheric pieces like The Man Never Lied!, More techno Love Somebody. From my point of view it is a copy of Summer Hands All Over. From the fifth song we toured the album and rhythms that are always the same, as in the song Daylight The Man Never Lied! Lucky Strike and it looked like the same song. Ladykiller and there were atrocious guitar riff, this is an album that I listen again!! Expand
  7. Jul 21, 2012
    Payphone and Moves Like Jagger are strong singles.....but the rest is terrible. This album is missing soulful songs such as "She Will Be Loved" that made them so successful.
  8. Mar 1, 2013
    What a damn disappointment. All I can say. It gets a 2 because it's Maroon 5, and I really hope that they just make another Jane album again. This was a waste of time.
  9. Jul 13, 2012
    I tried not to get mad. I guess you can't trust releases even if they are NEW. This album is so commercial, i found myself waiting for the show to come back on. Oh wait....
  10. Jul 1, 2012
    Maroon 5 was one of my favourite rock-bands, but all I hear on this album is pop. They didn't have to change, but it was obvious that "Overexposed" won't be another great album. After "Hands all over" which was great, this is an unexpected disappointment.
  11. Jun 26, 2012
    Except for the second single, One More Night, the best song in the album (even without a good chorus), every song sounds like "whatever". It's like you have heard it all before. Maroon 5 has almost become a boyband, lost its identity and sounds like everything but the band everybody used to know.
    The album was released in the same week that Linkin Park's Living Things and The Flaming Lips
    and Heady Fwends... and it's sad to know that Overexposed is, probably, going to be the week's top selling. Expand
  12. Jul 17, 2012
    This album is one of the weakest I've heard all year. This is no longer Maroon 5. This is now Adam Levine's solo project. It has nothing good to offer. Avoid this album like the plague and move on.
  13. AGK
    Oct 8, 2013
    only 2 kinds of people listen to this garbage, girls aged from 9 to 35 or guys who are annoying and rude. levine's voice makes me want to die halo style, the album just sucks!
  14. Jun 27, 2012
    Yeah there are some catchy tunes in the album, but this is like all just the same beat, they are so club now. They are trying so hard to sound like others male popstars
  15. Sep 2, 2012
    One of the worst and most disappointing albums released this year so far. What the hell happened to Maroon 5? They used to be such a great band. I wish they would record more songs like This Love.
  16. Jun 20, 2014
    I know I probably sound like everyone else here but I can't help it, this is a terrible album just downright bad. The lyrics are lazy, the vocals are lazy, the production is lazy, the whole album just feels like a Adam Levine phoned it in and just decided, "Hey, lets go full pop for this one. Screw what made Maroon 5 famous, this is my band now." "Love Somebody" is the only song on here that deserves any recognition of any sort but the rest of the album is truly rock bottom for Maroon 5. Expand
  17. Jun 29, 2012
    What a tremendous letdown. I understand trying to stay relevant and getting radio play, but part of what made Maroon 5 great is that they're good musicians who write good music. But now they're outsourcing all that to hot names in the industry, and the result really stinks. Lousy hooks, boring production, lame and lazy lyrics... I'm hoping they listen to all their alienated fans and come back with a second 'Songs About Jane', but I have a feeling that band is lost now. Expand
  18. Jun 27, 2012
    To borrow a line from that show "The middle", I had the lowest of expectations, and I'm still disappointed. Adam Levine's ego has grown so large that he can't hear the crap he's created. Only "Payphone" deserves a second listen.
  19. Jul 22, 2012
    I have to admit payphone was a good song. However, the album is really not that good. Maroon 5 means Adam Levine in this album. I was dissapointed because the songs weren't that good. I don't think they are the same as they were before and they have changed in a bad way.
  20. Jun 28, 2012
    Of course I understand a band needs to adapt and change as they go along. I'm always open to new sounds and experiementation. But only when it is willfully attempted. This just sounds like Timbaland told Adam Levine to do whatever he told him to and to give some royalty checks to the rest of the band so they still feel like they are a part of it. Maroon 5 has changed drastically since their first CD, and unfortunately it's for the worst. Expand
  21. Jun 28, 2012
    As previously mentioned by other reviews, this album does really seem like the Adam Levine show. Vastly disappointing and i actually like Maroon 5. I really enjoyed their last album but this i can't listen to. I just don't like it and I hope that their next album would actually progress their sound instead of making another pop inspired album.
  22. Jul 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. maroon 5 is dead......................................................................R.I.P.................................................................. Expand
  23. Aug 21, 2012
    Overexposed is the worst Maroon 5's album. Songs about Jane was the better then It Won't Be Soon Before Long was good too. Then Hands All Over wich wasn't so bad and wasn't so good."One More Night" and "Payphone" was reassurings but when I listen all the album the day of his coming I was sad to see that the true Maroon 5 was dead for a f***ing electro-pop album. I was so sad... In this album only "Ladykiller" is great and only "One More Night" and "Payphone" can be cool to listen the rest this is a horror movie. Expand
  24. Nov 2, 2012
    This is the saddest thing to ever happen to Maroon 5. The previous albums were taut with intelligent and clever lyrics that have now been completely thrown away in favor of ridiculous lyrical hook play that sounds like something out of a 12 year old's notebook. I miss you, Maroon 5! Please come back!
  25. Oct 17, 2013
    I hadn't listened to Maroon 5 in a long time, but I heard this awful song, Moves Like Jagger, and was shocked to see it was Maroon 5 checked out rest of album so unimpressed. A total WTF moment.

1. Jul 10, 2012
    Overexposed is not a great album, but that doesn't mean it's not interesting. What we're hearing is the band actually learning to have fun again, and with any luck, they'll only get better from here.
    It's when he deviates from the plastic norm that he actually sounds most awkward.
  3. Jun 29, 2012
    Overexposed is rather patchy and its highs are countered by some fairly wretched lows.