Overexposed - Maroon 5
4.6

Review this album

1. Jun 27, 2012
    So, is this Maroon 5 or Adam Levine with a backing band? I thought they were a Group? seems like they went pop and forgot that the other members need to play instruments. The album itself is not the Maroon 5 we are used to know and love. One of the Biggest let downs of they year.
  2. Jun 28, 2012
    Of course I understand a band needs to adapt and change as they go along. I'm always open to new sounds and experiementation. But only when it is willfully attempted. This just sounds like Timbaland told Adam Levine to do whatever he told him to and to give some royalty checks to the rest of the band so they still feel like they are a part of it. Maroon 5 has changed drastically since their first CD, and unfortunately it's for the worst. Expand
  3. Jun 26, 2012
    its a good album with some really great songs but maroon 5 doesn't feel like a band any more, for moments it seems like its just levine doing a solo work
  4. Jun 27, 2012
    To borrow a line from that show "The middle", I had the lowest of expectations, and I'm still disappointed. Adam Levine's ego has grown so large that he can't hear the crap he's created. Only "Payphone" deserves a second listen.
  5. Jun 26, 2012
    I started expecting a lot from Maroon 5 after they released "Payphone", but this album proved me wrong. Every other song on the album incorporates dance beats that is so NOT Maroon 5's sound. Only two or three songs on the album are good. I liked "Love Somebody" (due to the fact that it is co-written by Ryan Tedder), "Daylight", and "One More Night". Overall this album sounds like a band who has forgotten its origin and is making new foundations. Expand
  6. Jun 29, 2012
    What a tremendous letdown. I understand trying to stay relevant and getting radio play, but part of what made Maroon 5 great is that they're good musicians who write good music. But now they're outsourcing all that to hot names in the industry, and the result really stinks. Lousy hooks, boring production, lame and lazy lyrics... I'm hoping they listen to all their alienated fans and come back with a second 'Songs About Jane', but I have a feeling that band is lost now. Expand
  7. Jun 29, 2012
    Adam Levine seems to have gone all out with the electro pop and featuring artists, forgetting what actually made Maroon 5 famous. Another average performance.
    Best Tracks: The Man Who Never Lied, Lucky Strike
  8. Jul 6, 2012
    In their album Overexposed , songs get to similar and get kind of boring , while others go to a direction of a good song. After from listening to the album, it sounds like Avril wants to leave from his band "Maroon 5"
  9. Jul 1, 2012
    Maroon 5 was one of my favourite rock-bands, but all I hear on this album is pop. They didn't have to change, but it was obvious that "Overexposed" won't be another great album. After "Hands all over" which was great, this is an unexpected disappointment.
  10. Jun 28, 2012
    As previously mentioned by other reviews, this album does really seem like the Adam Levine show. Vastly disappointing and i actually like Maroon 5. I really enjoyed their last album but this i can't listen to. I just don't like it and I hope that their next album would actually progress their sound instead of making another pop inspired album.
  11. Sep 2, 2012
    One of the worst and most disappointing albums released this year so far. What the hell happened to Maroon 5? They used to be such a great band. I wish they would record more songs like This Love.
  12. Aug 8, 2012
    Ok, so this album has more Adam Levine than anything, but it's an entertaining listen. It's full of quirky and flashy pop and ear-catching hooks. Yeah, the other members of the band have very small, miniature roles in this album, but they agreed to it so I guess it really is their fault. Furthermore, Overexposed is fun and very light. It feels very beach-y and groovy. This album will NOT satisfy most of Maroon 5's early fans, but for others it's a great, current, and modern reach to the younger audience. And really, that's not all too bad. It's smart, yet faceless pop. And truly, it's one of or their strongest album(s) to date. HIGHLIGHTS: One More Night, Daylight, Lucky Strike, The Man Who Never Lied
    SONGS THAT ARE TO BE SKIPPED: SAD, KISS [*] only on the Deluxe Edition MY METASCORE: 69/100
  13. Oct 21, 2012
    Clearly Maroon 5 has given up. What used to be a musically talented, always at least interesting band is now Adam Levine and a few goons who break out some **** keyboard/synth effects and make the radio the evil thing it is today. It's no longer Sunday Morning for Maroon 5... I don't even think they deserve to have the moves like Jagger.
  14. Sep 28, 2012
    Heck..where's the rock songs? Maroon 5 used to be this really great alternative rock band; their songs infectious but with an attitude to boot. As they become more pop, out goes the guitars, in come the synthesizers and auto-tune. The problem is: they are selling even more singles!! So there you go...
  15. Sep 9, 2012
    The fourth album from Maroon 5 as Maroon 5, Overexposed album is a true summer with success Payphone and One More Night. It's well-crafted pop with touches of rock (Lucky Strike). Adam Levine, the singer, has accustomed us to his voice can become very acute tanning in the long run. Level of melodies is ''original'' but repetitive. There are atmospheric pieces like The Man Never Lied!, More techno Love Somebody. From my point of view it is a copy of Summer Hands All Over. From the fifth song we toured the album and rhythms that are always the same, as in the song Daylight The Man Never Lied! Lucky Strike and it looked like the same song. Ladykiller and there were atrocious guitar riff, this is an album that I listen again!! Expand
  16. Feb 25, 2013
    i really like maroon 5 as a band they connect with part of me that brings out my happy side. i feel like this album is a bit of a different sound to the usual maroon 5 music. It actual was too different for my mum to like and she is a huge fan of their song "she will be loved" i however love all of maroon 5's songs and am a huge fan of the band x
  17. Jun 26, 2012
    Except for the second single, One More Night, the best song in the album (even without a good chorus), every song sounds like "whatever". It's like you have heard it all before. Maroon 5 has almost become a boyband, lost its identity and sounds like everything but the band everybody used to know.
    The album was released in the same week that Linkin Park's Living Things and The Flaming Lips
    and Heady Fwends... and it's sad to know that Overexposed is, probably, going to be the week's top selling. Expand
  18. Oct 22, 2012
    Você já foi em um restaurante novo e após comer você ficou satisfeito, mas não vai voltar lá já que a comida não marcante o suficiente para tanto? Então, é assim que eu me senti ouvindo o álbum Overexposed do Maroon 5. É bonzinho, mas não é marcante o suficiente para quer mais.

Depois das
    vendas baixas do último álbum (Hands All Over) e o sucesso do hit "salva carreira" de Moves Like Jagger, o grupo pensou em seguir em uma direção mais "pop". Pelo que eu ouvi de Overexposed ir para o lado "pop" da força para eles significa pegar todas as referencias possíveis do gênero e jogar em uma panela, cozinhar em fogo baixo e servir apenas morninho. A gama de produtores que Overexposed não dá uma cara definitiva para o álbum que vai de reggae, pop, pop rock, eletropop e dance com pitadas de R&B chupando influencias que vão desde o Michael Jackson até a Lady GaGa. Tudo com produção perfeita, mas sem uma inspiração clara e definida. Adam Levine está correto durante tudo o trabalho. Contudo, não decide em qual tom de voz é o seu melhor transitando do grave aos falsetos sem muita força em nenhum. Além disso, o uso de efeitos em várias músicas atrapalha ainda mais o resultado. O ponto mais fraco do álbum são suas composições. Todas têm qualidades de hit pop com refrões viciantes e letras fáceis de pegar. Tudo muito didático e seguindo a cartilha ao pé da letra que deixa o álbum sem emoção mesmo falando de amor como tema principal. Outra coisa: se existisse limite de usar "ohs", "ahs", "yeahs" e outras onomatopéias que valem o mesmo, o Maroon 5 seria multado. A maioria das músicas não saõ ruins, mas não são dignas de uma citação aqui. Todavia, há dois momentos marcantes no álbum: começa pelo grudento primeiro single Payphone e chega na super divertida Tickets. O troféu de pior fica a carga da irritante Wipe Your Eyes. Uma coisa é certa que o Maroon 5 entrega o que promete na capa de Overexposed: um trabalho sem cara certa, mas divertido. Expand
  19. Jun 26, 2012
    It seems as if the titled album, "Overexposed", has become true for Maroon 5. The band have completely sold their souls to the ushering pop era, leaving behind their uniqueness and appeal. The album contains some highlights, such as "Daylight" and "One More Night", however fails to make an impact with the other songs that are filler and not interesting at all.

While I remain a Maroon 5
    fan, this was a huge step backwards for the band, and I only hope them the best when their next album comes. I hope that they find themselves again and come back with a much more stronger album that we all know they are capable of. Expand
  20. Jun 27, 2012
    Yeah there are some catchy tunes in the album, but this is like all just the same beat, they are so club now. They are trying so hard to sound like others male popstars
  21. Jun 29, 2012
    Honestly, I don't believe it comes anywhere close to Hands All Over or Songs About Jane, but its good enough. Can't really blame them for trying to adapt to the new music scene which, honestly is quite atrocious. If they were trying to satisfy their "original" fans then i'll say they've failed, however, if their aim was to keep up with the current music scene this album is not too bad.
  22. Jul 15, 2012
    Honestly this album for the most part just feels like a big sellout to appeal to the fans of Moves Like Jagger, which is the song that turned me off to Maroon 5 for a while. There are highlights of course, like the interesting pop-reggae of One More Night, the catchy and so-obscurely-themed-it-has-to-be-sincere love song Payphone (look up the version without the rap; you'll thank me later), the dancey and lyrically clever The Man Who Never Lied, or the emotional piano ballad Sad. The rest are either cheap copies of Moves Like Jagger or embarrassingly cliche love songs. But the last track on the deluxe edition, their cover of Kiss by Prince, greatly surpasses everything else here. This cover is amazing; they took a Prince song, turned it into a blues song quite naturally, and extended it into an awesome seven-minute jam complete with guitar & saxophone solos. I wish they showed this much personality & musicianship on the original stuff! In conclusion, even as a big fan of their previous material this is an embarrassing follow-up to Hands All Over. Sure it has its highlights and the songs are catchy, but whereas they were poppy in all the right ways before, now they're poppy in all the wrong ways. Please, Adam, get off The Voice and learn how to rock again, before you drive your bandmates right into the ground! Expand
  23. Jul 1, 2012
    Maroon 5 lose their way on 5th album - read the full review here: http://wearethefilter.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/maroon-5-lose-their-way-on-album-no-4.html
  24. Jul 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. maroon 5 is dead......................................................................R.I.P.................................................................. Expand
  25. Jul 13, 2012
    I tried not to get mad. I guess you can't trust releases even if they are NEW. This album is so commercial, i found myself waiting for the show to come back on. Oh wait....
  26. Jul 17, 2012
    This album is one of the weakest I've heard all year. This is no longer Maroon 5. This is now Adam Levine's solo project. It has nothing good to offer. Avoid this album like the plague and move on.
  27. Jul 21, 2012
    Payphone and Moves Like Jagger are strong singles.....but the rest is terrible. This album is missing soulful songs such as "She Will Be Loved" that made them so successful.
  28. Jul 22, 2012
    I have to admit payphone was a good song. However, the album is really not that good. Maroon 5 means Adam Levine in this album. I was dissapointed because the songs weren't that good. I don't think they are the same as they were before and they have changed in a bad way.
  29. Aug 9, 2012
    well I liked the album but as a pop album not as their previous rock albums, I felt like I'm listening to Adam Levine only the rest of the band have no role in the album and they didn't even appear in the music videos, even if it's only about Levine he still can make a good music but I hope they return to their roots
  30. Aug 21, 2012
    Overexposed is the worst Maroon 5's album. Songs about Jane was the better then It Won't Be Soon Before Long was good too. Then Hands All Over wich wasn't so bad and wasn't so good."One More Night" and "Payphone" was reassurings but when I listen all the album the day of his coming I was sad to see that the true Maroon 5 was dead for a f***ing electro-pop album. I was so sad... In this album only "Ladykiller" is great and only "One More Night" and "Payphone" can be cool to listen the rest this is a horror movie. Collapse
  31. Oct 25, 2012
    A fairly average album, some songs are pretty catchy (The Man Who Never Lied, Love Somebody) and some a quite poor but the main problem is that Maroon 5 have tried to adapt to the mainstream market, loosing their roots and long-time fans in the process. It's okay.
  32. Nov 2, 2012
    This is the saddest thing to ever happen to Maroon 5. The previous albums were taut with intelligent and clever lyrics that have now been completely thrown away in favor of ridiculous lyrical hook play that sounds like something out of a 12 year old's notebook. I miss you, Maroon 5! Please come back!
  33. Sep 17, 2012
    So many good songs with great hooks, if they are to listened separately. As a whole, the album is boring and repetitive, and how far away Maroon 5 has gone from their root is a bit repulsive. That being said, I can jam to many of the tracks, and that's enough to make me love this album.
  34. Nov 12, 2012
    I fear what we used to call Maroon 5 doesn't exist anymore. Just a bubble-gum, poppy, pointless romp meant to satisfy a much younger audience. Songs like "Wake Up Call" and "She Will Be Loved" are gone forever.
  35. Dec 8, 2012
    It's good. Mediocre but good. Just not the likes of their (or should I say his) former albums. Maybe they need some time to think about what they music path they really would take.
  36. Dec 16, 2012
    While 2011's smash hit 'Moves Like Jagger' cast massive speculation regarding Maroon 5's direction towards commercialized pop, their follow-up album 'Overexposed' shamelessly confirms it. With Max Martin, the most commercially successful producer of the last 15 years serving as executive producer, as well as co-composer and co-producer of all of the scheduled album singles ('Payphone', 'One More Night' and 'Daylight'), accompanied by Shellback, another hit-making producer who co-wrote the aforementioned 'Moves Like Jagger', the results are undeniably pop-chart oriented as the success of the singles proved for the album. In the spotlight is now Adam Levine, the now unquestionable frontman who directs the band's sound much like Peter Cetera used to be for the band Chicago, and he aptly co-writes all of the material and co-produces nearly every song. This abrupt shift in power leaves the rest of the band reluctantly muted in both songwriting and performance, as their instrumental output is anything but noteworthy midst the electro-pop background music generated by the producers. The gap in quality between the songs made by the aforementioned producers and the rest of the tracks is hence notorious, with little if nothing to make of interest of the album tracks, with the minor exceptions of 'Lucky Strike' and Shellback's 'Doin' Dirt'. If anything, the songs on Overexposed are tied together by unflattering qualities; the album is more often than not bruised by jaded lyrics (e.g. 'Fortune Teller'), and altogether the lack of a unanimous output by both Levine, the producers, and the rest of the band, shines too often to redeem it from its bland, superficial qualities. Expand
  37. May 21, 2013
    The band must be called Adam Levine, because it seems that it's his solo project with a lot of boring songs, the essence of the band go away. Was better before, sorry guys
  38. Mar 1, 2013
    What a damn disappointment. All I can say. It gets a 2 because it's Maroon 5, and I really hope that they just make another Jane album again. This was a waste of time.
  39. Apr 21, 2013
    Maroon 5 recently came out with a new album, Overexposed. If you don't know about Maroon 5 already, they are a well- known pop rock band. Many age groups appreciate this band in this day and age.
    Songs and albums you might recognize would probably be, "Hands All Over", and "Misery." The lead singer, Adam Levine, often sings featured in songs. "Stereo Hearts" and "My Life" are songs
    where this happened. Recognized for his distinctive, higher pitched singing, Maroon 5 has become a very popular band. On iTunes, Maroon 5's song, "One More Night" and "Payphone," have both been giant hits.
    This album, Overexposed, includes many different songs. Slow songs like "Beautiful Goodbye" and fast songs like "Lucky Strike" are all included. The album includes a large variety of different styles of songs. In several songs, Adam Levine sings about girls. This gets very repetitive and obnoxious. The track that to me, stands out, is the song, "Lucky Strike." Taking Adam Levine's signature poppy, high beat voice, this song stands out and one of the best on this album. Not known to many, this song is one of the best. On iTunes, "Lucky Strike," was not a giant hit, but definitely deserving of. I would give this album 4.5/5 stars. Well done Maroon 5!
  40. May 4, 2013
    Maroon5 new album is amazing. not much different from previous albums, maroon back makes me spellbound with their songs. to me this is the best album merupakn during the year 2012.
  41. Feb 25, 2014
    Besides the lucky four singles, let's be honest: who else remembers this album? At least it has the truest title in Maroon 5's career. It's 'Overexposed' and completely corrupts the image we're force fed that Maroon 5 isn't just Adam Levine -- shocking, huh? Let's get to constructive criticism though, or should I say de-constructive criticism, because Overexposed is overwhelmingly glossed up with Max Martin-Shellback typical electro hooks even fellow pop "rocker" Avril Lavigne would scoff at, Auto Tune, and just overall polish that's shiny and yes, attractive at first sight, but cold and soulless inside. Dissecting the album track-by-track is unnecessary, since everything's basically "Moves Like Jagger" rearranged without even one percent of any effort to make it sound distinguishable from that multi-Platinum seller. Although I won't exchange effort to call the album "terrible", I actually admit it: I find half-assed records more listenable than formulaic, unidentifiable top 40 compilation albums. Especially in the case of a "band" that's actually just there to solidify Levine's "rock star" image. Make no mistake though, Disney princesses are more rock 'n' roll than this stud wishes he could ever be. Expand
  42. AGK
    Oct 8, 2013
    only 2 kinds of people listen to this garbage, girls aged from 9 to 35 or guys who are annoying and rude. levine's voice makes me want to die halo style, the album just sucks!
  43. Oct 17, 2013
    I hadn't listened to Maroon 5 in a long time, but I heard this awful song, Moves Like Jagger, and was shocked to see it was Maroon 5 checked out rest of album so unimpressed. A total WTF moment.
  44. Dec 30, 2013
    This album has a lot of good stuff on it. The first 6 tracks are all very noteworthy. While I think some tracks could be better, the overall quality isnt that bad.
  45. Nov 11, 2013
    Not there best work but it's a entertaining and fun album. Listen this album was not the album I was expecting. I thought it could of been better the lyrics are ok. But come on maroon 5 are entertaining. The album is filled with radio hits and fun songs. And Adam is a good singer. Not the next hit album but a fun album.
  46. Nov 15, 2013
    Can't believe the critics, and users do not like this album definitely one of my favorites I enjoy every song and appreciate the overall fun, dance tone of the whole album. And the slow songs are awesome as well. I think Adam Levine and Maroon 5 are pure genius.
  47. Dec 27, 2013
    The songs are really "sticky", make you move your head and even dance. This album has everything, extremely varied. Love Somebody, songs with rhythm So sad songs as "Sad"

1. Jul 10, 2012
    Overexposed is not a great album, but that doesn't mean it's not interesting. What we're hearing is the band actually learning to have fun again, and with any luck, they'll only get better from here.
    It's when he deviates from the plastic norm that he actually sounds most awkward.
  3. Jun 29, 2012
    Overexposed is rather patchy and its highs are countered by some fairly wretched lows.