Paradise Valley - John Mayer
7.5

Review this album

1. Aug 20, 2013
    While people dismiss John Mayer's new album, "Paradise Valley" is surprising me in great ways. Mayer made an album that isn't written to be a hit. It's written for the sake of art. He wrote songs that move him and groove in the purest musical sense. Before you read the iTunes reviews choked with "Go back to Continuum!" and the like, listen to it. It's not the catchiest tune, the most beautiful melody, or the fastest guitar solo that John has written. It puts his life and current worldview into music. Frankly, I'm starting to really like it. The music isn't fast or covered in an impressive zebra-print sheen. It's honest, organic, and wonderful music. Expand
  2. Nov 10, 2013
    To me this is a perfect John Mayer album (nothing gets a 10 out of 10 in my books). Of course he has lots of love songs but that's just how he write as do a lot of popular artists. It is very folk and country driven which I find suits him very well and of course he dabbles in a bit of blues also. I was little worried about how this album would sound since he had just released Born and Raised the year before but this is by far a more polished John Mayer and for that i thank him! Expand

1. Aug 23, 2013
    Eleven songs that hit the mark where last year’s overwrought "Born and Raised" mostly missed, Paradise Valley is a more lyrically restrained and less generically reflective affair. And musically, it’s bigger, more accomplished and more approachable.
  2. Aug 21, 2013
    The level of growth on Paradise Valley with respect to Mayer’s ability as a singer/songwriter is remarkable, especially considering how the first go-round of this sonic experiment happened only last year.
  3. Aug 20, 2013
    These new songs are so amiable that you wonder where they’re meant to take you. Often the breezy journey--while pleasant enough--leads to dead ends.