Person Pitch - Panda Bear
8.5

Review this album

1. Nov 3, 2010
    Among the top 5 albums of all times for me. I loved this so much, every single song everything in this album speaks to me in a way very few things can. I love this and it makes it hard to wait for the next album from Panda Bear.
  2. Sep 11, 2010
    Not many albums are like this. Amazing by far. Panda Bear plays like a tornado. 9.7/10 Best tracks: Good Girls/ Carrots, Comfy In Nautica, Take Pills.
  3. Jan 31, 2012
    Ok, so my know this album is closing in on 5 years in age. But this it is a **** masterwork. Very rarely have I been so emotionally connected to a piece of music. (Btw, to those who didn't like this album, this "review" will come off as nothing but a sickeningly gushy hyperbolic rant. just letting you know in advance)

Before hearing Panda + AnCo, pretty much all music I listened to was
    just The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, et cetera.... all the "safe" classics, the basics. My only understanding of what this whole `indie music` thing was, consisted of The Arctic Monkeys (although I didn't actually listen to them), maybe 3-4 songs by MGMT, some Radiohead, and whatever I heard from Grand Theft Auto radio stations. Basically, I only listened to what everyone liked.

Then I heard this band. I got started after my friend showed me the song "My Girls" (yes, I know, I was introduced to Animal Collective very late). After hearing My Girls I thought "wow, this is pretty impressive", so I looked up what other stuff this band may have. I found some sort of solo project called Panda Bear, found a song called "Bros", and not expecting too much, I gave it a listen. 12 and a half minutes later I was STUNNED. Then came Good Girl/Carrots, then the rest of Person Pitch. Scraping my jaw off the floor, I listened to all the rest of Animal Collective. After that, the music that I listened to, and the way I listened to it, was completely changed. I began to actually listen to "indie music", and got hooked on Caribou, then Aphex Twin, Bjork, Dirty Projectors, Flying Lotus, Grizzly Bear, Basic Channel, Tame Impala.... I found amazing, lovely music that I otherwise would have never come across in a million years. But even after spending so much time listening to all these original and completely refreshing musicians, I still have to say, nothing beats Person Pitch (as far as sheer musical pleasure goes). Whenever I come home from a stressful day of classes, or end up going crazy from all the pressure of studying for exams, or just when I have a bad day in general, I turn this album on, and then I just instantly feel better. Bros is something like The Beach Boys meets Four Tet meets a late 60's psych-rock jam. Comfy in Nautica is some sort of blasting choir opener, but hazy and distant at the same time. Good Girl/Carrots takes you through a ride of manic industrial tablas, trip hop, skittering piano, and densely layered dub. Take Pills is straight up, reverb-drenched baroque up. And that is just the tip of the iceberg of the whole discography. The soundscapes that come out of Panda Bear and Animal Collective are things that you can get lost in. So relaxing, so fun, so entertaining.

Oh, and one thing. @musicfan: Having a totally personal, subjective enjoyment to a piece of music does not make me a "sucker". When you learn not to have such an egotistical sense of self-entitlement you will realize that liking music is based on OPINION and there is neither right nor wrong.

@voodoocookie: Don't worry. If you don't like the album, then you don't like it, and don't waste your time trying to get into something you don't like. You say you "don't get it", but there's simply nothing to get here. There's no "big idea" that just completely switches what you think about a piece of art. It's just not your preference.

Ok, I'm done.
  4. Mar 23, 2012
    One of my favorite albums of all time. Great work sampling, on guitar, and on synthesizers. The real highlight of the album is the vocal work. The layering of the vocals is truly incredible. All of the songs are highlights. I can not recommend this album highly enough.
  5. Sep 5, 2012
    Its been more than 5 years and I still enjoy listening to this album as much as I did when I first heard it. The collection of sounds, textures, and samples create a world I never want to leave.
  6. Feb 14, 2013
    Person Pitch has to be one of the most imaginative records I've heard in a long time, probably ever. each track is beautifully layered with so many different sounds and harmonies and completely compliments Noah Lennox's voice. It sorta sounds like The Beach Boys if they took a whole bunch of different drugs at once. All In All, Panda Bear has crafted a wonderful, little psychedelic record that certainly won't leave the minds of any serious music fan for a long time to come. A- Expand
  7. Jul 4, 2013
    This is one of the best albums of our time. Panda Bear pushes the boundries of electronic music to make something unique, atmospheric, interesting and most of all, beautiful. Art is at its best when its creative and shines when its honest and not pretentious. I name this one of the best albums ever and Panda Bear one of the best artist to have ever lived, he has proved it here.
  8. Aug 8, 2013
    One of the greatest albums ever. The twenty-first century version of the Beach boys, Panda Bear alone shows his innovative mind with this record that is better than any animal collective album and displays the true innocence and beauty that can be found in an album. This album just sneaks by Radiohead's In Rainbows for the best album of 2007.
  9. May 16, 2014
    layer upon layer of ingeniously samples mixed with panda bear's reverb touched vocals and harmonies, a practically perfect record. (one of my favorite moments is the subtle train sample he puts and the end of take pills...just genius!)

Magical. [Apr 2007, p.114]
  2. His careful attention to detail and masterful use of vocal harmonies are unparalleled in modern indie rock.
  3. It's as lucid a marriage of the eneffably strange and crayon-bright catchy as 2007 is likely to see. [Apr 2007, p.58]