8.9

Review this album

1. Oct 22, 2014
    I've only recently discovered the brilliance of this album. Always been a huge fan of The Blue Album (another solid 10 out of 10 album), but I always had the assumption that it could never be followed up by something equally as strong. How wrong I was!

Pinkerton is 10 songs of pure brilliance. Musically, it's fantastic with all four musicians really playing their part. Lyrically, it's
    witty in places but genius at the same time; with Rivers Cuomo writing lyrics that are much more personal than that of The Blue Album. Unfortunately, I live in the UK and Weezer have never been as big here as they are in The States. Would've loved to have gone to one of the gigs where the entire album was played from start to finish. One day maybe! (Personal favourites: The Good Life, Why Bother?, Getchoo) Expand
  2. Oct 15, 2014
    I don't need to explain why this is one of the best albums of all time. You just need to listen to it. It's a must listen for anyone who loves music.
  3. Oct 1, 2014
    Definitely a solid album but it doesn't really deserve it's spot as the top 2 album of all time. It has some great tracks but others just aren't that good 'Getchoo' for example isn't a very good track in my eyes.
  4. Sep 30, 2014
    The Emo album that was able to push the Emo movement forward! Most of this album is dark and has a very deep sense of irony, especially compared to their debut, "The Blue Album". Weezer ditch the irresistible pop melodies, crisp production, and fun, cheeky lyrics and instead opt to go for a more darker, messy guitar-ridden and ironic lyricism. The best thing about this album is the lyrics. They are so emotional and dark, and yet they still have some kind of Weezer charm to it! As I mentioned before, there is a dark sense of irony to it, with an example being Rivers talking about lusting a girl who turns out to be a lesbian. The production style is something that really bothers me, because it's just so raw and I can't stand it when there's a lot of feedback and the guitars squeal. Some songs don't work, an example being No Other One. That song is just too slow and doesn't fit in with the rest of the album. Some classic Weezer tunes are here, with my favorites being El Scorcho, The Good Life and Across the Sea. If you want to ditch the power pop sound that Weezer is most known for, check out this album. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  5. Aug 3, 2014
    This is the best album in the world. It's amazing how Rivers Cuomo shows us the essence of the weakness of the human being in his lyrics. I think all the songs are good, but my favorite is pink triangle.
  6. Jul 10, 2014
    A haunting, brilliant masterpiece. Rivers Cuomo is brutally honest in all of these songs, deliberately portraying himself as pathetic and broken, and it just adds to the power of it all. Easily Weezer's best album and one of the best albums of all time.
  7. Jul 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Raw, harsh, memorable and honest. This is definitely my favorite Weezer album. My favorite moment in the entire album is when the final track "Butterfly" plays, and it shifts the overall tone of the record but not in an off-putting way. I love this album. 10/10 Expand
  8. Jun 29, 2014
    Weezers magnus opum after being the persona non grata at the rock prom. Cuomo's songwriting and angst were so real and vibrant through the dark, sordid place the album came from, that no one can predict what Weezer could have been had this album been seen for what it truly was nearly 20 years ago. From the initial rip of Tired of Sex to the painful No Other One and straight down to Butterly, this album has everything that defined the 90's...Bravo, Weezer. Expand
  9. Jun 26, 2014
    Without a doubt one of the most influential albums of all time. The raw sound and more dark and abrasive feel adds to the heartbreak heard within the lyrics and with Cuomo's vulnerable voice. People may listen to the lyrics and laugh, thinking it's more of a comedic album, but it's just so much more emotional and depressing than other Weezer albums.
  10. Jun 21, 2014
    One of the best album of all time. YES ALL TIME. What make this record so great is how Rivers Cuomo's emotional feeling is expressed so much in all the songs. Lesbians, missing the old times, love interests, true love, uncanny feelings to can't talk to girls, its all here in Pinkerton. Very influencial to the power pop and emo scene, this album maybe the best of them all. Sherdding guitars by Brain Bell and Rivers Cuomo are always the highlights. Patrick Wilson's powerful drumming and Matt Sharp's sharp bassline (no pun intended) provided the best of the rhythm section. Give it a listen. Expand
  11. Nov 15, 2013
    Pinkerton shows different characteristics than the first but still provides us with the heavy guitars and melodies. This also may be the greatest release of emotions ever recorded.
  12. Oct 13, 2013
    This is one of the best albums ever. Every song has a catchy chorus that talks about the faults of life and love and provide commentary on the way society is set up. The raw sound of the track also adds to the emotion by making it sound like realistic struggles from an upset wanderer. Overall, Pinkerton succeeds on every level, making it my favorite album ever.
  13. Sep 26, 2013
    Great. That's all that can be used to describe Pinkerton. One of the greatest albums of all time. Not as good as Blue album, but Pinkerton is a great show of Weezer's talent.
  14. Aug 5, 2013
    This album is in my top 10. It alongside the Blue Album are some of the greatest pieces of modern music and will live on beyond this generation as examples of great rock music. Masterpieces every part.
  15. Apr 21, 2013
    Unlike the previous review, I can categorically state that it is easy to deny how great this album is. I don't get it. There's a particular strain of US guitar-led music featuring whiny voiced gents that utterly passes me by (Neutral Milk Hotel, Weezer, Girls, and there will be others). It doesn't inspire feelings of dislike, only 'this is boring'.
  16. Apr 16, 2013
    Yes it is a great album but the fact that this has a higher score than Nevermind is a travesty. Even great tracks like "Why Bother" cannot beat the outstanding quality of Nirvana songs like "Lithium"
  17. Jan 27, 2013
    The Pinkerton Deluxe Edition, even moreso than the original Pinkerton is the perfect album for someone having troubles with love. Whether it is a long-distance relationship, relationship on the rocks, a break-up, or even just a fantasy relationship, Pinkerton feels as if it is always talking right to you. Originally, I listened entirely to songs like El Scorcho (though I admit I hated it the first 12 times I heard it, it grows on you), Pink Triangle, and the Good Life...however, upon discovering the Deluxe Edition, I have found that I actually like Falling for You, Across the Sea, Long Time Sunshine, Tragic Girl, and Devotion more. In fact, I like every song on the Deluxe Edition. Very few albums can manage to put up so many good songs, but Pinkerton does. And it is still the perfect album for when you're feeling melancholy, lonely, or having troubles of the heart. Expand
  18. Jan 17, 2013
    PInkerton is easily on of the best albums ever made by any band ever. It's my personal favorite. There's some musical artists that just get it, River is one of those people. You don't have to be a die hard Weezer fan to enjoy most of these raw, powerful songs on this album.
  19. Oct 21, 2012
    Pinkerton is a classic, not because it was all that groundbreaking, but it took the spirit of raw 90's alternative rock and amplified it to the tenth degree. Most all the material lingers in this place of deep frustration and languishes in despair. However, unlike the weaker Weezer outings, it isn't corny. Even if the album as a whole doesn't flow perfectly,only two songs left by themselves aren't modern rock anthem masterpieces. Expand
  20. Jul 14, 2012
    Sorry about the 0 miss score, when my internet is slow it never does what I want it too, so im here to say Pinkerton deserves a ten and allways will, and I'm extremely sorry about the 0 score
  21. Jun 27, 2012
    Outstanding follow up to their classic debut Blue album. Like the Blue album, this has 10 tracks and every one of them is good. Even El Scorcho, my least favourite track, would have walked onto any of their albums that followed. Pinkerton is a bit sharper around the edges and is a much darker record but a great complimenting record to Blue. Opener "Tired of Sex" is as good a punk pop track that you'll ever hear - a 10 out of 10 track. The next couple of tracks are full of typical Cuomo weirdness but the tunes are peerless. The heart of the record has 3 of the bands most memorable tunes, "Why Bother", "Across the Sea" and "The Good Life". "Pink Triangle" lights up the latter stages of the record while "Butterfly" is a strangely quiet but beautiful closer to an otherwise rocker of an album. The Blue album was a perfect piece of pop rock, full of easy on the ear melodies and had the feel of sunshine and the summer. Pinkerton is the perfect opposite. Expand
  22. May 27, 2012
    Masterpiece. That is all. Probably the best album by Weezer in my books. I can definitely understand how it has a 100 on Metacritic by critic scores. Great album.
  23. Apr 25, 2012
    "Pink Triangle" is a great track that would fit on the Blue Album, Weezer's pop-rock opus. However, the rest of this album lacks anything worth listening too.
  24. Apr 23, 2012
    A great concept album that is expressed through a raw sound that yells out with great emotion. I also love how lucid this album is. Definitely a classic, and is Weezer's best work to date. It'll have to take a miracle for another Weezer album to top this one.
  25. Nov 15, 2011
    Thank God for Pinkerton, cos without it, Weezer would have been a completely pointless band. Get this album, maybe get the Blue Album, and stick with those, if you want Weezer to remain as a band that matters.
  26. j30
    Aug 15, 2011
    Great Album. I like the Blue Album better but this is a great follow-up. The record definately describes the feeling of the 90's perfectly. The rawness musically and emotional aspect made this album a classic. Who knows what kind of influence the bassist had on this band, but after he left things started heading downhill.
  27. Jul 29, 2011
    It's really powerful, and the purposely out of synch tunes of the songs are fitting for the ongoing subject of mixed emotions lying throughout the album. It's the sort of album that you'd go out of your way to hear, rather than putting each song on a playlist of your favorites. Bottom line: if you think you want to hear it then you really want to hear it.
  28. Jun 22, 2011
    It's the best Weezer album and one of my favorite albums, the lyrics are based on the personal lives of Rivers Cuomo and yet it is amazing how can make you feel identified
  29. May 11, 2011
    This has easily been my favorite record of all time. The fantastic production coupled with expressive lyrics and masterful chord progressions are what makes this album truly unique. You can simple hear the emotion in Rivers' voice on every moment of this album, something that has since left this world after the record orignally failed comercially. Now, the deluxe edition contains all of the b-sides (plus a few truly remarkable bonuses that were previously unreleased) that are on par with the rest of the original album tracks. Additionally, there are a variety of extra live versions of most songs on the album, which become slightly unneeded, but hey, if you don't feel like listening to them, then skip them. You owe it to yourself to listen to this album. Expand
  30. Apr 6, 2011
    Always been underrated,weezer's second lp is their best and make me cry thinking of their last three to five records.Pinkerton,it's a classic,make me think of the time when it was released for the first time,sweet sweet memories!
  31. Mar 14, 2011
    I really like this album, but i dont like weezer. they started off good. liked their sound. then their sudden popularity got to their heads and they started making crap album after crap album. yeah people who like mainstream crap music that has no soul or feeling to it whatsoever liked it but i didn't. i thought they were gonna be a great indie rock band. but they lost me after the...Beverly Hills song. ugh. Expand
  32. Mar 2, 2011
    I'm in my 40's and I always thought Weezer was kind of formulaic, so I never got into any of their CDs. This album makes me think I missed out on something. Not only are all the songs individually great, they seem to add up to a mini emo opera.
  33. Feb 11, 2011
    Pinkerton personifies perfectly, everything that Weezer stands for, and it grows on you more after every listen. The music is perfect, the lyrics are stupidly terrific, and quite stupid to be perfectly honest, but in a wonderful way. It is alternative rock perfection and it's a crime that most fans haven't even heard a song from it. If you're reading my words, first of all sorry, but secondly, do yourself a favor and check out this album! Let it grow on you! You'll be eternally indebted to me. Expand
  34. Jan 9, 2011
    Prior to listening through the PInkerton album I had listened to every other album in Weezer's discography. To this point I thought that the blue album was the peak of their success being a cover to cover play through album. Then I listened to Pinkerton. What separates this album from the rest of Weezer's work as well as 98% of all music out there is a culmination of zealous, powerful emotions that drive each song with a rarely seen passion, the quirky lyrics of Weezer that make each song completely unique and special, and ultimately an album that you can play cover to cover on repeat because each song ties together a masterpiece masterminded by the depressed, medicated genius of Rivers Cuomo Expand
  35. Dec 15, 2010
    Amazing album, everything you could want, fun rock songs with "Why Bother" and "El Scorcho" and dark songs with "Tired Of Sex" and "Getchoo" melancholy magic which I love
  36. Dec 6, 2010
    Quite possibly the penultimate "emo" album written in the nineties, and proves to be just as relevant today as it was fourteen years ago. Takes a few listens to really appreciate the layered instrumentations and vocals. Excellent album.
  37. Dec 1, 2010
    Give it a chance and you'll learn to love this masterpiece. All the tracks are not just brilliant, but incredibly personal. The Deluxe tracks only add to the greatness that is Pinkerton.
  38. Nov 23, 2010
    What makes this album great isn't the introspective lyrics and uncanny vocal infection which effectively convey emotions or the production and the brilliant new tracks. It's the consistency and the versatility of the rock music and the way it revolutionized stereo emo rock. And it's the emotions itself that are conveyed so throughly: the angst, upset, bittersweet, epicness, told in a smart, funny, poignant, and lively way. No singular word I can use to describe the way I felt after I heard the album. I'd have to some up with some sort of corny and like unintended-ly ambiguous metaphor. Not the motion the awesome album cover. But that's just bonus. Expand
  39. Nov 22, 2010
    The most personal album you will ever hear.
    So much emotion is put into the album and the tracks are absolutely killer.
    The new tracks on the Deluxe Edition are amazing too.
  40. Nov 19, 2010
    This Album is a very complete album. From the production to the lyrics. Everything about it just amazing, and the live bonuses and B sides with it show the amazing talent this band has. This album is raw and the lyrics deal with very personal issues. They are as real as lyrics can get.
  41. BKM
    Nov 18, 2010
    There is no denying just how great this album is. A full on blitz of raw emotion that is equally funny and painful, Pinkerton was responsible for both the band's demise and rebirth. Cuomo has not written such a coherent and scathingly honest set of songs since. Chances are that he doesn't want to go through it again. Thankfully for us, he was able to do it in the first place.
  42. Nov 18, 2010
    One of the Best Albums of the 90's and one of the most influential records of this generation...So many bands today have drawn from this epic album. Its so raw and emotional yet enjoyable to listen to. It truly tugs at the emotions of our inner selves.
  43. Nov 17, 2010
    Pinkerton is a record that will stand the test of time. It's not a retrospective album that details aspects of the world that will go away in time, like a specific war, or a financial crisis, it is an introspective album, and no matter how much we progress as a society the themes will always be relevant as long as the human condition exists. Be it the isolation Across the Sea details or the unrequited love El Scorcho belts out, this album captures the pains of the human identity.

This album is worth 10/10 more than any other album and I highly recommend it to those who haven't checked it out.

1. Jan 31, 2011
    Pinkerton still stands tall as a modern rock classic. [6 Nov 2010, p.51]
  2. Ultimately, the legacy Pinkerton leaves behind is it being one of the most emotional and raw albums ever made. It's an album that many can relate to, even if you're not on the same level of crazy as Rivers was back then.
  3. Dec 21, 2010
    This is their Holy Bible--in other words this is an unknown quantity alright; it's Weezer's raw, emotive bastard child; and a great, brilliant, titanic blot on an often pristinely laundered back catalogue. For that reason in particular this is a thing to be cherished.