Plastic Beach - Gorillaz
8.2

Review this album

1. Oct 14, 2010
    OK I had to create a Metacritic account just because I saw so many favorable reviews of this horrible drek. I keep trying to like it because I love this band. But I keep clicking next next next. You people should come to my house and share whatever illegal substance you took to enjoy this because it's just awful. If you added up all the essence from this entire album it still wouldn't be close to being as good as Dare. Expand
  2. Nov 9, 2010
    Quite dissappointing. While the production, artwork, videos and list of guest appearances may be amazing, the quality of individual songs is very poor and even after a few months of listening I can not remember what the majority of songs sound like. Highlights however include "Stylo", "Superfast Jellyfish", Glitter Freeze" and "Empire Ants".
  3. Nov 8, 2010
    Plastic Beach has a few low points where the songs sound slightly unpolished, but overall the album is very well done. The mellow beats and ambient vocals sound great, and there's a lot of really catchy tracks on here.
  4. Aug 13, 2010
    Probably the most overlooked CD of the year! Whenever I ask someone if they've heard the new Gorillaz album, all I get are blank stares. Perhaps it's because Plastic Beach lacks a single like "Clint Eastwood" or "Feel Good Inc." However, I think this is Gorillaz's best album as a whole. It maintains a theme (in this case environmentalism), which keeps the CD consistent. And this is arguably the most varied Gorillaz ablum yet. Damon Alburn (singer and main guy of Gorillaz) said he wanted Plastic Beach to have a mix tape feel - he certainly accomplished it. There are so many genres represented here including rap, funk, rock, electronic, soul, and alternative. Guest appearances by Snoop Dog, Bobby Womack, and Lou Reed (and many more) are complimented with some of the catchiest Gorillaz beats to date. One of the best of 2010, but be warned: this album is more electronic than Gorillaz's previous. RECOMMENDED TRACKS: Rhinestone Eyes, Stylo, Empire Ants, Some Kind of Nature, On Melancholy Hill Expand
  5. Oct 11, 2010
    This isn't crappy commercial pop, this is full on, clever pop. Sure, the collaboration with snoop dog is not the best but the rest of the album is brilliant and onces again, innovative. 'White Flag' is an interesting piece of cross culture hip hop and 'Sweepstakes' is driven by some jazzy horns. 'Stylo' and 'Cloud of Unknowing' feature Bobby Womack, a move that seems perfect when hearing the two songs. On Stylo, Womack produces almost a wail to drive the song whilst 'Cloud of Unknowing' sounds beautiful with the strings and a softer voice. Albarn takes gambles and they always seem to pull off. Whether it be trying new genres, pulling in guest stars or just being himself. It just always works. Expand
  6. Aug 21, 2010
    i was really happy when this album came out. it had been five years since demon days came out, which was quite possibly one of the best albums i've ever heard. and plastic beach was good, but i noticed that i was hearing a lot of other artists singing on the tracks insted of damon alburn. that was disapointing but it was still good, and a lot different than the previoius two albums
  7. Sep 5, 2010
    the best Gorillaz album to date. I especially like Superfast Jellyfish, To Binge, and Broken....who would have thought that Lou Reed and Snoop would be on the same record?
  8. Sep 12, 2010
    77!!!!!!!! What you've got to be joking! This album does not deserve that rating. Murdoc Niccals, Stu- Pot, and Cyborg Noodle. have done it again (except not Cyborg Noodle). This album is at least as good as Demon Days. There is such a good variety in this LP that even Yukimi Nagano (Little Dragon) is on two tracks 'To Binge' and one of my favourites 'Empire Ants'. Legendary rapper Mos Def also has his contribution to this memento, in the single Stylo he raps through a voice distorter and turns the song into a kind of deep electric dark, mini-anthem. Then its the return of De-La soul, super fast ,super fast, super catchy. There song is a great contribution the the album and possibly "brightening up the album".
    The highlight of the album is 'Melancholy Hill' Gorillaz on there own with 2D singing about a hill and being in love?

8 ½ / 10
  9. Sep 26, 2010
    Pop, guests, plastic. That's all you need to really know about this album. This album really said "We are the Gorillaz and we can do whatever we want!" This album features a ton of new guests: Snoop Dogg, Little Dragon, Gruff Rhys, etc. This album was really fun, and contained new emotions for my Gorillaz experience. This is the easiest album to get used to yet, so don't worry.

Standouts : "Rhinestone Eyes", "Stylo", "Empire Ants", "On Melancholy Hill"

Overall Score : 8.8
  10. Oct 12, 2010
    Great album! Gorillaz deliver a lot of harmonic, melodic elements that make their music catchy and very original. Their arrangements are great and all the synth work is very reminiscent of the best new wave music of the early 80's. Definitely a must hear and of the best albums of 2010, thanks for such great music!
  11. Oct 22, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. wasn't to found of this album at the beginning, but as i listened to it over and over, i just told myself dude why didn't i liked it o.0
    this is not a love at the first time album. It doesn't get empty like many other album, it fill itself.
    Anyway, i don't think this album need a hit.
    Yes it's different, but it's what we all always want : something different and besides JELLYFISH. so 10.0
  12. Nov 6, 2010
    This is probably the last hope for humanity when it comes to music. With all this crap on the charts, it's annoying not to see this album anywhere up there. Absolutely amazing.
  13. Nov 22, 2010
    Gorillaz can bring the funk, even on this more serious and chillout set. Bringing the theme of the environmental health of the planet, there is a lot to talk about. Gorillaz brings listeners wonderful melodies and calming rhythms. The only dissapointing thing is that when the album has to come to a close.
  14. Jan 7, 2011
    Plastic Beach was no doubt a good album, but it slightly loses it's edge towards the second half of the album. The first half was really great though. "Stylo" is a great jam and "Superfast Jellyfish" is another great track. The production is amazing. And some guest rappers really know how to make it all sound good. Especially Snoop Dogg in the first song "Welcome To The World Of The Plastic Beach". All In All, no Demon Days but Plastic Beach was nevertheless a good jam to listen too. B Expand
  15. May 21, 2011
    A little long for my taste. Though that's what you come to expect now with a Damon Albarn album, the man loves to load his albums full of songs. I'm almost tempted to call it a concept album because of the song subjects and because it flows so beautifully track to track.
  16. j30
    Dec 9, 2011
    This is my favorite release from the Gorillaz and in my top ten for 2010. It's dance-club ready, re-mix ready, just straight up party ready. The production is carefully thought out and put together nicely, whereas Demon Days was kind of all over the place and not a bad thing.
  17. Sep 10, 2011
    This album is a strange adjustment for the average Gorillaz fan. I didn't catch on right away, but now I feel that this is their best album. By far.
  18. Jan 12, 2012
    Good diverse collection of tracks here with a wide range of A-List collaborators. Wasn't a big fan of Demon Days but this is much more consistent. A few tracks do meander off track but overall the quality is maintained. On Melancholy Hill is the best thing they've put out in my opinion.
  19. Nov 18, 2011
    I love all of Gorillaz previous work, and after reading many positive reviews, I gave this album many honest listens over few months, hoping it would grow on me, but it didn't - there are some interesting moments, but it's mostly quite bland and forgettable - none of the songs really sticks.
  20. Mar 20, 2012
    The beach vibe is definitely present. Gorillaz seem to weave in and out of each genre, picking and choosing collaborations that fit the albums specific style. This one brings a more laid back tone after the more ominous demon days, and is a great soundtrack that seems at home playing in your headphones during an island vacation (which it did serve as my soundtrack during a st. john trip). Initially, I admit I was not as struck with PB as I was with Gorillaz or even Demon Days, but it kept growing on me until it was proudly placed as a worthy addition to the gorillaz legacy. One thing I must say, MORE DAMON. Sure, songs such as Some Kind of Nature and Superfast Jellyfish are catchy and fun, but I really want to see more of 2D up front than providing some chorus lines. Heck, in some songs, such as White Flag or Sweepstakes, Damon isnt even present at all. Please return to more Demon-Days collaboration methods or even back to good ole' Gorillaz 2d-centric album where we can focus on Gorillaz and not the spotlight solely on the collaborators. Expand
  21. Jul 4, 2012
    Another awesome album from Gorillaz! Every song on this album has something to offer and the album vibe is kept trough the whole trip! I love to listen to this album in my car has it offer a grand range of variety and keeps sounding better after every listening! I really could not choose witch Gorillaz album I prefer best.
  22. Sep 21, 2012
    It\'s a very good album but some music aren't nice.
    Some songs like Stylo and Rhinestone eyes are very nice.
    Welcome to the World opf The Plastic Beach it's not very good, maybe i think this becuse i don't like Snoop Dogg
  23. Oct 5, 2012
    Plastic Beach is a great album, however some songs are quite disappointing. The style of some songs are very different from the previous released album, with such songs having a complete different feel than the older, more popular Gorillaz songs. However, Gorillaz are well known for trying out new styles of genre, and therefore the strange songs can be accepted. Overall, a great album and worth it, though don't expect Demon Days. Expand
  24. Jan 2, 2014
    [8.7] Plastic Beach is Gorillaz' most spacious, energetic, and bizarre album, and honestly their most cohesive. I still wouldn't call the album as a whole accessible, but if you listen to it enough, all of the songs are thoroughly enjoyable, and equally so. There are several perfect tracks on this album, and the rest are much more experimental, but are often even more powerful and original.
  25. Jun 6, 2013
    Although Plastic Beach isn't nearly as good as Demon Days, it's still a very entertaining album and a very good set of music. Liek before, 1 song will always stand out. In this case, that song is Stylo.
  26. Dec 17, 2013
    This is the first 10 I've ever rated. It's technically a 9.5, but since we're rounding up, this album gets a perfect score for Metacritic.

I had been replaying this album for a long time, but I always skipped a few tracks here and there. Now, having heard it in its entirety, I can honestly say that this album is an absolute masterpiece.

Seriously, after the letdown that was Demon
    Days, it's pretty surprising to see that Damon didn't try to fix it for his next record, instead coming up with something entirely different. Instead he's come up with a completely different approach that has alienated previous fans of the previous album, but not me. (Mostly because I'M not a fan of the previous album). Expand
  27. Apr 21, 2014
    A purely amazing album! I can see where some people would be against this album as it is quite different than other gorillaz albums. I would put it on par to Demon Days.

Only behind such a distracting smokescreen could Damon Albarn get away with conducting a project as sprawling, daring, innovative, surprising, muddled and magnificent as Plastic Beach: not just one of the best records of 2010, but a release to stand alongside the greatest Albarn’s ever been involved with and a new benchmark for collaborative music as a whole.
  2. Best when he’s corralling others into out-of-their-comfort-zone creativity, it’s the Albarn-sung tracks on the second half of the album where the attention wanders and the album opening Snoop Dogg cameo seems a million miles away. Of course, there’s alot here to take in and maybe it just needs a fair few listens to fully digest it - the sign of any album worth its salt.
    The music that wraps around the concept is never boring and much of it is excellent....What's lacking is the nailed-on megatune--a "Clint Eastwood" or "Feel Good Inc"--that we've come to expect from a Gorillaz album. [Apr 2010, p.99]