Primary Colours - The Horrors
8.9

Review this album

1. Oct 24, 2011
    A huge step up from their debut album. In this album The Horrors have ditched their gimmicky "horror" punk style in favour of a more mature post-punk/shoegaze sound. Best songs on the album are "scarlet fields", "mirror's image" and "sea within a sea".
  2. Oct 10, 2010
    absolutely amazing. one of the best albums to come out of 2009.
  3. Jan 29, 2011
    Primary Colours is the best album I have heard the past few years. It combines elements of shoegaze with Joy Division, creating a brooding, brilliant atmosphere that I never tire of.
  4. Jul 17, 2011
    Wow. I listened to the first album and I felt incredibly repulsed by the messy distorted guitars and the screaming of Faris Rotter. The album was complete chaos, and with the goth type ballads, and the way they presented themselves, I felt like the Horrors were just as gimmicky as Kiss. Them, I gave Primary Colors a listen because of the rave reviews it was getting and wow. The post-punk influences tickle my pickle, Faris' is more reserve and controlled as are the guitars that still have distortion in them but instead the atmosphere ins't chaos, it's more controlled and more matured. I take these guys seriously now, and I can go as far to say that I'm a fan of this band, and will completely disregard the first album. Highlights of this album are: "Who Can Say" "Scarlet Feilds" "Do You Remember" "Sea Within a Sea" & "I Can Only Think of You" those are the above average songs in this album that really make this album one of the best albums in the last five years. However, I think the only average song on this album would have to be Mirror's Image. Fantastic album. Expand
  5. Jul 24, 2011
    This album is amazing, really good change. "Sea Within A Sea" is a great job, I like it.
  6. Jul 26, 2011
    album of the year. excellent production. tracks range from rage to melancholy. Influences shine through but never overtake the band. Stand out tracks include Scarlet Fields, Only Think Of You, Three Decades, Sea Within a Sea.

1. As bold and listenable as it is, Primary Colours is occasionally scattered, giving the impression that the band is trying on different sounds for size--although the fact that most of it works so well is actually more surprising than how different it is than their earlier work.
  2. Primary Colours is a reminder that young British bands can actually progress to brilliant new heights, and perhaps, just perhaps, the occasional surprise in these media saturated times isn’t as endangered a beast as previously thought.
  3. If there's a more surprising album this year, we'll be, er, um, surprised; Primary Colours is one of the best albums of 2009 so far.