Queens of the Stone Age [Reissue] - Queens of the Stone Age
8.9

Review this album

1. May 27, 2011
    I fire up Slave I, pop in this album, rollup a dutch, light it and collect bounties in a galaxy far, far away.

Regular John and Mexicola are my favorite songs on this record, although when I caught Han Solo trying to pull the ol 'float away with the garbage trick', I was listening to How To Handle A Rope... so now I'm partial to that when I need to get sh*t done.
  2. j30
    Sep 4, 2011
    One of the most important hard rock bands from the late 90's early 00's re-releasing their brilliant debut LP. A near perfect album.
  3. Feb 26, 2012
    The reissue of the debut album at last! After around nine years, Queens Of The Stone Age have re-mastered and re-released their 90s stoner rock self-titled album. My personal favourite songs include Mexicola and Regular John, both of which sound a lot less 'muddy' than the original. A couple of songs have been added to the track list including Spiders And Vinegaroons.
    Everything somehow
    sounds a lot clearer here, and this new quality of old songs really adds to the energy. To any more recent Queens Of The Stone Age fans: don't be surprised by the less refined style of this album; there's definitely a lack of that spacious atmosphere we've gorwn accustomed to hear from Josh Homme and his band. However the tasty riffs and wall-of-sound guitar tone definitely make up for this! This is closer to Homme and Oliveri's 80s stoner metal band Kyuss than anything the queens have done since Songs For The Deaf (this is probably due to Oliveri's input until 2003 when he was fired from the band for being a wife-beating maniac.... Anyhoo...).
    Absolutely worth buying, unless you have anything against Kyuss. Or Nick Oliveri. Or crude album covers.
  4. Feb 6, 2014
    While Songs for the Deaf just about edges it, this is my second favourite album of all time. Includes a lot of my favourite QOTSA songs and is just an all round brilliant album. Has a great tone that's half way between Kyuss and QOTSA's later records and (probably) includes my favourite ending song of any QOTSA album. Just buy it.

1. Apr 20, 2011
    Now reissued and remastered, those principals are still sound: classic riffs and also more toothsome and unswinging structures, what ch are nice, especially when they stop. [Apr 2011, p.94]
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    Homme has gone on to make sexier records, but for sheer creepy sensuality QOTSA is the definitive article. [Apr 2011, p.112]
  3. Apr 14, 2011
    The newly remastered version is also bolstered by three additional track as reclaimed from the vaults. [Apr 2011, p.114]