8.1

Review this album

1. Jun 1, 2013
    ‘Get Lucky’ the first single and perfect earworm from ‘Random Access Memories’ grabbed me instantly and wouldn’t let go, I championed it to everyone I knew advising them to ‘get on board as it will get you in the end anyway’. I couldn’t wait for the album and then I heard it. The first time I listened to the record was when it streamed on ITunes I had high expectations and was thoroughly underwhelmed and disappointed. The second time I was walking home at night in the rain and still reeling from the fact it didn’t contain 13 songs anything like ‘Get Lucky’ I was yet again left thinking what the hell is this MOR Avant jazz rubbish. A few friends had already got the album and kept telling me to give it one more go but I was hesitant on wasting yet more time on something that I couldn’t see ever getting. And so the third listen was in the garden and in the sunshine, glass of wine in hand as background music until I realised I was actually being drawn to it, it was forcing its way into the foreground, I was hearing things I’d clearly missed before like strange time signatures and chord changes hidden in the songs in plain sight. How the hell had I missed all this the first few times? It suddenly dropped and I couldn’t believe how good it actually was, I had to keep listening over and over again. I’m still listening. ‘Give Life Back To Music’ with its robot voice and disco beat, ‘Giorgio by Moroder’ with its spoken word story before kicking in with its ferocious live drumming and strange sounds, the eighties feel of ‘Instant Crush’ with the Strokes Julian Casablancas on vocals, the Television sitcom theme style of ‘Fragments of Time’, the closer ‘Contact’ which builds to a glorious crescendo there is so much here to love. Daft Punk have somehow taken influence from every decade in pop and made it into something new, as Alexis Petridis said you think the songs sound like something else until you go to your record collection to try and find it and cant. Now all of the songs are in my head fighting to be the one I catch myself humming or singing and at any point I’m never sure which one will win out. I’m so glad I stuck this this record and eventually succumbed to its power because if I hadn’t I wouldn’t now be in love with its oddly perfect pop genius. Try it and if you don’t like it try it again, try a few times in the sunshine and eventually I’m sure when you have the moment where it clicks you will, like me, be pleasantly surprised. Expand
  2. Jun 16, 2013
    I've always loved Daft Punk since their Homework album. When Random Access Memories came out, I rushed to the store to pick up the CD. I can say that I enjoyed the album. To truly experience this album you must put the CD in your stereo and just let the whole thing play out. Some songs I came across I did not like as much as others, but it's songs like "Touch", "Giorgio by Moroder", "Fragments of Time", and many more that pull this album together. Expand
  3. Jun 20, 2013
    I wouldn't say this album is a masterpiece, but I do say it is remarkable. I like to think about it as the extension of some of their 'less popular' songs like "Veridis Quo". It doesn't mean that Daft Punk gave up their willingness to make people dance as they used to do, this time they wanted to make people think about their emotional B-side.
  4. Oct 13, 2013
    Random Access Memories can easily be described as Daft Punk's finest material to date and one of the most memorable moments of 2013. The lead single, "Get Lucky", was a summer smash and could be considered a contender for being one of the finest pop songs of the 2010s thus far. Although its 70s disco and funk throwbacks might not charm all audiences, it's certainly a welcoming album to anyone even remotely interested in escaping the electro craze that's done nothing but dominate the top 40 in recent years. The vocoders have since become their signature sound, but are more than welcoming in the opening four tracks "Give Life Back to Music", "The Game of Love", and the 'robo-gloom' ballad "Within", which both alienate younger audiences whilst still remaining the listeners in their comfort zone. "Giorgio by Moroder" magnificently narrates listeners through the process of becoming a musician whilst "Instant Crush", featuring The Strokes' lead singer Julian Casablancas, somehow manages to channel the same melody found in the Christmas classic "Last Christmas" and could easily make it into the soundtracks of the duo's punk fans. "Doin' It Right" channels late-70s synthpop and sends euphoric chills into listeners through its mesmerizing use of the vocoder and Panda Bear's effortless vocals. Overall, the album may be overhyped in the media and some may not fall for its worldwide charm, but RAM honestly earns all the hype its given and has the charm to make its way into about every listener's iTunes. The hiatus may have seemingly lasted forever, but it was damn sure worth the wait. Expand
  5. Jul 24, 2013
    In an age where the electronic music scene has become saturated with unoriginal and uninspired david-guetta-esque singles, 'Random Access Memories' is nothing short of genius. This LP signals the french ("electronic"?) duo's triumphant return to commercial releases, as well as their descent into the all but forgotten sounds of the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Although many feel as though Thomas and Guy-Man's abandoning of their traditional heavily-sampled house music sound is a let-down, 'Random Access Memories' is actually quite a welcome breath of fresh air. Every track on this album feels meticulously arranged and crafted, with nothing left to unoriginality. In a creative blend of new and old, Daft Punk was able to create a record that is truly timeless. Despite the clear prog, disco, and funk influences on this LP, the duo was still able to create an album that is definitively Daft Punk. With their signature synthesizers and vocoders, practically every track has an electronic flair of some kind, and none of it feels forced.

Despite giving RAM a 10/10, one does have to admit that some of the longer tracks on the LP (see 'Giorgio by Moroder', 'Touch', and 'Lose Yourself to Dance') can become a bit tedious at times, the use of repetition and length can be attributed to the house-music mentality that Daft Punk employs throughout the album. However, except for this, there really isn't a reason that someone should not own this album. Although not a traditional Daft Punk fan, this album has quickly become one of my favorites of the year, and will for sure become a classic in due time.
  6. Jul 6, 2013
    'Random Access Memories' lacks the magic the duo's previous albums all have; though it's consistent in sound and includes a few great moments, overall it's trying too hard to sound arty without any kind of substance, unfortunately. Give a listen to 'Give Life Back to Music', 'Instant Crush' and 'Get Lucky', and skip the rest if you want to save yourself a disappointment.
  7. Jul 21, 2013
    Daft Punk once again surprises us with a new disco themed album that represents the light at the end of the dark tunnel in the modern music industry. It's a hit or miss, but when it hits, it really hits.
  8. Jul 19, 2013
    Para mi Random Acces Memories es el mejor album de este año, con grandes canciones, una gran producción hacen que este album sea un deleite para nuestros oídos.
  9. Jul 25, 2013
    Their magnum opus. Lush, interwoven sounds that make me feel really good. An artist that actually gives a damn about recording an album, not just a single.
  10. Aug 8, 2013
    I did expect the album to be good, especially taking into account all the hype. And I really, I mean REALLY, wanted this album to be good. (I have to admit I actually liked ‘Get Lucky’ when I first heard it, way before it started being played every 5 min by all the radio stations and started getting on your nerves).
    I remember I got RAM the day it was released, put it on my car’s stereo
    hoping for something extraordinary to happen and… Nothing happened. My reaction to the album is best described by ‘MEH’. I found it quite mediocre and most of the time incredibly bland. For two consecutive weeks I listened to this album in my car hoping that it would grow on me. It didn’t. Well, ‘Loose yourself to dance’ and ‘Contact’ sort of did, although I found that the latter resembled ‘Aerodynamic’ too much for me to really enjoy it.
    I’m pretty sure this wouldn’t be called a ‘music defining’ album if released by somebody else, but it’s cool to like Daft Punk and RAM in particular, so everybody does. Better go out and actually get lucky.
  11. Aug 21, 2013
    Daft Punk really is raising the bar with this LP. It has everything: pop classics, experimental odysseys, slow jams, deep tellings of introspection, and everything in between. The dynamic and emotional variety on this album is remarkable. It sounds nostalgic but feels forward-thinking. Thomas and Guy-Man made the perfect record they could have possibly made at this point in their career, especially considering the condition of electronic music and the whole "EDM" scene. 10/10 Expand
  12. Sep 18, 2013
    Daft Punk's greatest effort to date. Yes, you heard me correctly-- it's better than both Discovery and Alive 2007. It isn't even really close, either.
  13. Oct 5, 2013
    Never listened to any other Daft Punk albums, but I like this entire album very much, and goes beyond the radio hit "Get Lucky" which is not even close to the best song on the album! I think touch is a great song. The vocoder voice can get old on some songs, but it works very well on others.

Many people here with bad ratings insist that this is not as good as previous work, or that they
    some how sold out. I disagree. You should take every album on it's on merit, and it should not be rated based on how you feel it should be, but based on how it effects you emotionally, and how you connect with it. If it didn't do it on a level as others, that's one thing, but your preconceptions should be immaterial to a rating. Expand
  14. Oct 8, 2013
    Every night before I go to bed I listen to a few songs from RAM. It has not ceased to blow my mind. I feel like it never gets old and I can't stop listening to it! Keep pumping out beats Daft Punk.
  15. May 24, 2014
    Average album with some decent tracks, most of them are bad. People think because it's Daft Punk and it has some weird elements means it's good and redefining music. Well that's false, nothing about this album is new nor special.
  16. May 26, 2013
    At first, Random Access Memories could feel as empty, but the more you listen to it, the more beautiful it becomes. It is a departure from their previous work, but this album is a triumph, and the very proof that no matter which path the duo takes, they know how to make it rock.
  17. Jul 3, 2013
    I have been listening to Daft Punk since the first record. Of enjoyed how their music has grown and changed. I was a little disappointed by this album because when you stack it up against their previous efforts it's...just a really big departure in a lot of ways. It's catchy, some of the songs have great hooks, and they're not afraid to dabble and experiment a little bit as well. However, if you play this album after one of their previous ones, it's almost like a different band at times. However, I hear say they may be doing a "Daft Punkier" mix of this album. Now that is something I would like to hear. In the end, I am glad that the album is not forgettable or terrible, it's merely a lot more pop orientated. I think that they will actually find they gain a lot of new listeners with this album that may not have cared for them as much in the past? Expand
  18. Jun 12, 2013
    Quite boring compared to their previous efforts. Fast songs are ok, slow songs are all a bit meh. Due to all the hype I was expecting a classic listening experience but it's actually really dull, and if it didn't have "Daft Punk" on the cover I think a lot more people would think the same way.

Overrated.
  19. May 27, 2013
    Vanilla. Not a bad album by any means but RAM really lacks a lot of the little auditory surprises I enjoy so much in their older work, especially Discovery. I don't know if that's BECAUSE they purged out sampling in this album, or it just happens to be the case on an album that has next to no samples, but the whole thing feels disappointingly safe and pedestrian. I'm used to DP making clever little aural twists by mashing up 80s disco; this is... just 80s disco.

I can definitely see these tracks as being baseline material for some great remixes, but on their own I feel little urge to listen to them more than once.
  20. Jun 7, 2013
    Para los que creían que Daft Punk habían llegado a un bache, vuelven con toda, se reinventan y llegan con este refresco de muy buena música, alejados como siempre del mal gusto comercial que es lo que alegra. y haciendo un viaje por la buena vibra setentera y ochentera.
  21. Jul 12, 2013
    Daft Punk time-travels to the 1970s to create music with the most influential funk bands of the era, then returns to modern day and debuts their private recordings. They're beautiful. It's based on a true story. A true story of time travel.
  22. Sep 1, 2013
    Back in the '90s Dance music was a big genre thanks two robots in suits named Daft Punk, With their album "Homework" and several Eps that they released. Once the 2000's hit their single "One More Time" became their biggest hit to date, it also helped thanks to Anime inspired music videos for their album "Discovery" and throughout the rest of those twelve years they performed at several concerts and were responsible for the soundtrack to "Tron Legacy" but not much has progressed for their career. Now it's 2013 and Daft Punk releases their long awaited new album "Random Access Memories" which is being called "The Best album of the year" and that quote my friends is from me. This album defines the words "Good Music" but instead of good it's Masterful, it's so different, so special, and is something that will bring Daft Punk to the top of the charts. First off "Random Access Memories" has it's own story to tell, as it's about the Love for Music going back to what music was really about, it may feel dated for the short minded, but for people who love the art of music, it's extremely rewarding listening to these tracks. The opening track "Give Life Back to Music" is one of the best openings for an album this year next to Justin Timberlake's "Pusher Love Girl" for his album "The 20/20 Experience" and the album continues on with "The Game of Love" and more tracks that all tell an amazing story about music. One of the best songs on here is "Giorgio by Moroder" which is a mix of commentary and just simple strings and a synthesizer and it's such an beautiful song. A lot of the sounds here are very '70s Disco like and is different from today's Electronic music which was inspired by earlier songs by Daft Punk, it's great to see Punk's music changing by not being like every song out there, while still staying fun to listen to. Guest appearances include Pharrell, Panda Bear, and Paul Williams and although it's not earth shatteringly amazing, it's still fine appearances and it provides more depth to the songs they appear on. The album is thirteen song long, but it never becomes boring for all the 74 minutes it delivers. Overall, there's not much else I can say about "Random Access Memories" but that it's one of the most heartfelt pieces of work I've seen in sometime, and is worth listening for anyone who just loves music in general. Expand
  23. Jul 26, 2013
    I have to applaud Daft Punk for doing something a little different than their previous albums. Random Access Memories is not necessarily one of my favorites from them, but it's solid. Get Lucky is a killer track. However, I was not crazy about Giorgio by Moroder. It's a bit long. And after a while I found myself skipping it to go on to the next track.
  24. Jun 1, 2013
    Four words: Album of the Summer

With nary a bad track throughout the entire 74 minute journey, RAM brings disco back into the mainstream. While underground artists continued to play with disco (in various forms) since the 70s, daft punk bring life to an otherwise dead sound.
  25. Jun 12, 2013
    always hard to separate the hype from the product, but especially so with a band like Daft Punk. this was not quite the 8/10, but I rounded up and I think that figure will hold over time. review sketch if you care here: here:http://simmserely.blogspot.com/2013/05/daft-punk-random-access-memories-review.html
  26. Jul 21, 2013
    Elevator muzak for cubicle dwellers, RAM mashes the sounds of a half-remembered past into golden, sticky goo that sounds good coming out of your laptop speakers. But check the list of ingredients and it says only this: corn syrup, food coloring, artificial flavors.
  27. Oct 11, 2013
    Get Lucky was one of the most surprising hit singles I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. For a song by an act who'd only ever had one big hit and one reasonable hit in the 19 years they'd been making music, to achieve the success that they did with this track (which included #1's in regions that they'd never succeeded in before) was something of a miracle. To achieve that level of success, it had to be a generic track that embodied all the current trends, right? No, it was a throwback to the 70's disco movement, the complete opposite to what the public wanted, yet for some reason, it took off and I knew it was pointless making predictions about what was going to be popular anymore. Due to the single's success, there was significant hype around this album, which puzzled me as while Daft Punk haven't released many albums, I had never been aware of this demand for them and certainly not when they were releasing 70's disco jams. After the album's release, there was considerable confusion among fans as to what the duo were thinking and genuine surprise among critics as to what made them decide to do something so avant garde. And I understand why: RAM is an album full of bizarre choices and is the opposite to what mainstream DJs are doing right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of modern dance music, but that doesn't mean I'd rather it became so low key to the point where it's undanceable. Ironically, the only kind of music that has never made me feel like dancing is disco music. It's so bland and soul-less to me and I have relatives who lived through the 70's who can testify to this. So, to listen to an album that consisted of this theme for 78 minutes was quite frankly, torture. If it's not throwing boring disco music full of repetition at you, it's making you stomach the rambling nonsense that is Giorgio by Moroder for 9 minutes. I have heard people say that this album is really cutting edge and revolutionary. What is cutting edge and revolutionary about singing banal lyrics like "We're up all night to get lucky" and "If we're doing it right, everybody will be dancing"? That's the sort of lyrics amateur songwriters can come up with in 5 minutes. The only rays of hope are, in an unusual theme, all the tracks composed of one word: Within, Touch, Beyond, Motherboard, Contact, and bonus track, Horizon. Here you will find relaxing, euphoric tunes that make me see, just for a moment, what the fans of this album saw. But the rest of it sounds like it's from a completely different album.
    What has really disappointed me more than the album's potential buried under a pile of stinkers, is the reaction from those who praised it. Predicatably, an album that splits public opinion like this will have those who have a sense of superiority regarding anyone who didn't like it to be uncultured, musically ignorant, you name it. If you're below the age of 30 and don't have a degree in music, your opinion isn't valid, apparently. Well, while I might still be discovering all the intricacies of music at my age and am not a professional music critic or expert, I do listen to lots of albums a year and open my mind to all music, which is a lot more than some of those with a superiority complex do. I also have a fascination with sound and am part of the ASMR community (look it up). As such, I understand that we all have different musical tastes for a reason and no one's taste is better than others. I would advise anyone listening to this album to not be taken in by music snobs who will praise anything just because it's "different" and listen to it with your opinion solely in mind.
  28. Jun 4, 2013
    Draft is back! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first DP album to not have a movie with it since homework. Not as good as discovery, but not too shabby. This is the thing to me with them they have created many masterpieces, so that comes with the typical hype. I think what we have here is just a good chill record. Its hard to follow super massive success, and I feel like they just said it let's have fun, I support them and this album all the way. My top 3 probably give life back, Giorgio, and get lucky. Just chill and let it grow on you if you expect anything, you already expect to much. Good one guys you won't ever let us down! Now get in you're pyramid and tour!!! Haha Expand
  29. Jun 6, 2013
    Didn't think much of this album at first, but then you'll notice that you'll be going through your day and a tune is stuck in your head, and it's from this album (and it's not Get Lucky). I've now had that happen with over half the songs in the album. It grew from a 5 or 6/10 album to a full out 10/10 over the course of 2-3 front to back sessions. Sounds even better if you have a great hifi setup, the production value of this album is top notch! Expand
  30. Jun 7, 2014
    Nile Rogers and Pharrel Williams collaboration featuring Daft Punk. There is little here of what made Daft Punk great. The boundary pushing, the experimentation, the beats and the bleeps are sacrificed to be replaced by the soft disco funk that lived and died after a brief albeit enjoyable existence in the late 70's. Gone are the excellent yet unknown vocalists of Discovery to make room for big names, as if Daft Punk need to resort to adding featuring 'flavor of the month' artist to every other song. Nothing will date the albums of recent years more than the soon to be forgotten guest vocalists that must be added to the track name, seems that being hidden in the sleeve notes isn't good enough anymore. The exception is Julian Cassablancas on Instant Crush, one of the best songs on show and he is not afraid to have his vocal digitized till near unrecognizable. By removing all the Pharrell songs from your mp3 player you can have a much more enjoyable experience;you'd be forgiven for thinking you'd bought a new Nile Rogers album though. Expand
  31. May 29, 2013
    This album is a little more mellow and laid back than their previous work, but the more you listen, the better the songs get. The collaboration and effort to perfect this album is excellent. Any future remixes should also be excellent.
  32. Oct 15, 2013
    Daft Punk have released a solid album. A very long return that sadly does feel like it drags on a bit. However, the album does deliver songs that are instantly catchy and make you want to relisten to them plenty of times.
  33. May 31, 2013
    This review is false, so I give only 70 to balance the scales, is an exaggeration, over 80!
    the music business annoys me, the magazines deceive people can do whatever they want with an album, and metacitic do this, choose the most appropriate magazines to give them most covem score. If they want to lower the value of an album, just go pick up some magazines which gave a low review, and
    avoid the magazines that give good quote, this is and I do not go there.
    A good exempo are QOTSA, choose magazines that give a very low value and avoid putting magazines that give good quote.
      More Light-Primal Scream is a good example, revisions of the latter album are very evident, where are the magazines or websites that give more than 80%. They do not exist? Does Allmusic.com there for example? But the magazines that give reviews below 70, there are already!
  34. Jun 5, 2013
    The un-doubtful style of Daft Punk is clear in every song. Old times come back to mind and I must say Giorgio by Moroder is one of the finest pieces I've heard him in.
  35. Jul 3, 2013
    A great direction for Daft Punk!

The albums melodies and general song structures are more prominent than in previous albums. Despite songs lacking bass-driving beats, the last track Contact provides a highly-energetic conclusion of the album. The eclectic instrumentation compliments the musical style which varies from disco to funk, and jazz, house and 80s synth-pop.

However, I would
    of liked to have seen more familiar collaborations, I feel Paul Williams adds a sense of a 50s sound which seems to be out of place and doesn't fit in with the vocoder or high-pitch vocals of Pharrell on Get Lucky. Expand
  36. Sep 7, 2013
    Speaking as someone who really couldn't claim to be a fan of the genre or style of music this album is phenomenal. And let's just get that out of the way; the only electronic music that I truly listen to is basically Monstercat remixes.

This album could have been a flop in the sense that it sets out to please everyone and usually when you do that, nobody ends up satisfied. This is
    completely different as they have succeeded on every single level. Random Access Memories is one of those albums where even a non-fan can pick it up and enjoy it. For example I bought this album in a little CD shop on my trip to London. After that we went to Scotland and drove around the country for hours every single day. My CD:s were the only thing (along with Rubber Soul, Revolver and Bob Marley's Legend) that both of my parents actually liked. That's how good this is.

The tone for Random Access Memories is quite sad with only a few songs that are up-beat and cheery (Lose yourself to Dance, Get Lucky) but these songs are not the best ones on the album. The best ones are the ones that feature smaller artists and that successfully tell a story. Sometimes that story isn't even delivered through words but more through a myriad of sounds. Listening to this is like listening to Chopin's Nocturne; it just takes you away and doesn't let go until the end of the album. This album is pleasing to both ears and mind and it also appeals both to hardcore and casual listeners alike.

This is electronic music at its very finest.
  37. Jul 24, 2013
    This a great album which is different to other albums by daft punk which is what makes their music stand out.
    The quality of the whole album with very high details shows up and gives it its sense of mood.
  38. May 31, 2013
    All that can be said of disco and funk music in daft punk is clearly in this album. full of innovative rhythms and giving new life to the music that we have lost in these last year, these guys came back with their best album in years. personally, I think is better than discovery although not as good as Homework but still it's such a classic album for new generations who want music with a 70s air.
  39. May 24, 2013
    Daft Punk's RAM is a bit of an enigma. I've decided to call it Disco Prog. There's a lot going on here. After repeated listens, it's obviously an Album (with a capital 'A') meant to be listened to in full, in one stretch, to fully appreciate. And not just for the excellent production, which is top-notch, warm and inviting, but also for the musicianship and sequencing; winsome and melancholic in places, upbeat and breathtaking in others, it slowly builds throughout to the epic, soaring closer, "Contact". I think by now it's well understood (for both revelers and detractors) that RAM is not at all expected, and yet, ultimately, all the better for it.

Highlights include: "Instant Crush," "Giorgio By Moroder", "Motherboard" "Doin' It Right" and, last, but certainly not least, "Contact". A few tracks (e.g. "Within", "Beyond"), while not quite as special by themselves, easily find their charm in sequence among the whole.
  40. May 25, 2013
    Daft Punk has said they dont like to do the same things twice. This album upholds their statement as this is different from Discovery and Tron. The album deserves a ten because you can tell by the intricacies of the songs. However, I completely despise the songs featuring Pharrell (Get Lucky and Lose Yourself to Dance). Also I did not enjoy the weird, almost scary sounds in Touch and Contact.
  41. FdO
    May 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If every musician nowadays had the consciousness of these guys to make music the scene would be very differently, and saying this I wanna mean that they are great, Complete musicians and examples to follow in electronic music! Expand
  42. May 26, 2013
    for me every album of Daft Punk is a different journey... and this is one them. i dont realize how can people talk about negative things of the music trying to be objective, thats imposible... if you dont like it is because you want to listen something else, no Daft punk.
  43. May 27, 2013
    AMAZING ALBUM!!! Daft Punk just smashed me up with so stunning and catchy sounds, funky, dancy, and easy to listening music make me feel very positive when album is plays. I'm amazed from thew first notes played on the first track. Best for me is: "get life back to music", "get lucky", "lose yourself to dance", "instant crush". Worth every penny you will spend for original CD. JUST GREAT.
  44. May 29, 2013
    A really nice blend of commercial hits and experimental club dance; the hits, such as 'Get Lucky' and 'Lose Yourself to Dance', allow the album to be popular in the mainstream, and the experimental material will hopefully open the minds of the mainstream to new and exciting sounds, which do not hit into the formula they are used to. However, some of the tracks, which are innovative and artistic, such as 'Giorgio by Moroder', I find difficult to listen to as they are somewhat too 'outside of the box', but that is just my own closed mindedness and I'm sure after listening to the album a couple more times, I will appreciate its creativity and innovation much more. Worth buying. Expand
  45. May 27, 2013
    Random Access Memories is Daft Punk;s fourth studio album and this time the electric dance duo tries something quite different then anything they have ever released. After dropping the perfect single Get Lucky" fans went wild within minutes the whole world knew about this new album and everyone and their mothers were anticipating it. Finally the album dropped for the whole world to listen and like millions of others i decided to give it a listen and i have got to say i love it and would really like to see Daft Punk take this new sound a grow on it. This album is super fun to listen to and is full of new sounds and new genre experimentation from genres like Jazz, Soul, Funk, and more, However it may sound different but it;s still Daft Punk and that;s why so many people love it. The opening rack Give Life Back to Music" is the best way to begin this album. It just makes you think and it makes you want to give your life to music. i also loved "Giorgio by Moroder" which has a an awesome beginning it really keeps you listening when the music slowly builds to the end of the speech and then it kicks and thats when i really start to enjoy this track. Another favorite track of mine is "Doin' it Right" probably my favorite track on this record it;s just so catchy and has a super cool beat with beautiful vocals. The song "Contact" is a incredible way to end the record and makes you wish more tracks were like it on this record. If this album had more songs like "Get Lucky" and Doin' it Right" and less of tracks like "Game of Love" and "Within" this album would've been perfect. Overall this album is amazing and a highlight of 2013. i give it a solid 9 out of 10 Expand
  46. May 29, 2013
    Remember when Daft Punk announced that they wanted to do something different? Well this is the album they were most likely talking about. RAM is definitely NOT for everyone and if you are a "Discovery" fan then you might feel a little disappointed in this album. This of course does not imply that the album is bad. On the contrary, in my opinion, the album is good to an extent and is great relaxation music.

The jazzy tunes, the slow-dance music. Compared to previous albums this is probably the mellowest (if that's even a word) album of them all. There is no "deep" lyrics, is basically like taking a trip back to the 70s/80s and just having good old fun.

If you are looking to get your EDM, Super party mode on, this album is not it. But if you are tired of always listening to the bass drop and want to soothe your ears then by all means check out RAM.
  47. Jun 3, 2013
    This album has been a long time coming and Daft Punk doesn't disappoint. Like a tossed salad, all the sounds of the past 50 years are beautifully mixed throughout the entire album. Disco. Swing. 80s. Techno. R&B. You name the genre, it probably has it.

I don't know if I remember the last time each track in an album sounded so different from the others. I'd personally prefer a bit more
    electronic sounds, but overall, a great album. Expand
  48. May 30, 2013
    Random Access Memories is the best album of the year so far. This could be the album that really brings the electronic genre to mainstream. Every track on the album has great production behind it, and there's even some pretty good vocals and lyrics on the album.
  49. Jun 3, 2013
    Nice music but sorry to say that, no one would have notice this album without the "Daft Punk" label on the cover. Neat and sweet but I was expecting better from this band, 8 years after Human After all.
  50. Jun 4, 2013
    Random Access Memories is a return to form for Daft Punk, however the focus on having cameos and guests on many of the tracks ruins many of the songs. There's almost a uncanny, cheesy feel to most of the album as it features Microsoft Sam singing many of the backing vocals. Nevertheless, there are half a dozen songs here that I truly enjoyed, which is more than I can say for most of Daft Punk's albums. Expand
  51. Jun 4, 2013
    If you consider yourself a bassist professional, aspiring, or the 11 year old in 6th grade jazz band brave enough to try learn EVERY note of this album. Each song is lovingly crafted, and the bass lines are tailored perfectly for each tune. Don't worry about the "70s disco" thing, or what this could be categorized as; this is EXACTLY what we should be studying as musicians and lovers of music. I'm thrilled that DP would give us a gift this lovingly constructed, and just trust that we would pay if we loved it. I'm buying my hard copy tomorrow! Expand
  52. Jun 6, 2013
    Another excellent album from the french house duo, coming fresh off their last project of movie scoring, I find this album a great step into the exploration of music and it's history. The 60's and 70's themes are predominant throughout the entire album, and Daft Punk goes so far as to interview the producer they collaborated with in the album. The third song, 'Giorgio by Moroder' I see mostly as an explanation for the album, bringing in one of the godfathers of the type of dance/pop music that naturally evolved into what we know now as electronica.

Definitely give the album a thorough listen through, as many of the themes in the album clearly dictate where the sound that Daft Punk is so famously known for has come from.
  53. Jun 7, 2013
    I lay no claim to being a fan of Daft Punk, but have now listened to RAM at least 12 times in the past 72 hours and am quite sure it is right there with the best albums that I've sat and listened to. It's a combination of Kool and the Gang and Sgt Pepper meets Popcorn, which I heard in Spain as a kid--- if that's possible. Apparently, it is. The key to it is the sound. I get what it's reminiscent of but have never heard anything sound like like this tonally. Amazing record. Expand
  54. Jun 7, 2013
    Daft Punk's first album in years doesn't disappoint its fans one little bit. People were skeptical that they couldn't recreate the revolution they sparked back in the 90s, but they surely did. I have to admit I don't adore every song on this album, but I love most them. My favorites include, Get Lucky, Lose Yourself to Dance, and Fragments of Time. They have amazing artists featured in the songs of this album, they add the perfect touch to these already spectacular songs, such as Pharrell Williams, Todd Edwards, and Julian Casablancas. This isn't my favorite Daft Punk album, but it already is and will most likely stay my favorite album of 2013. Expand
  55. Jun 9, 2013
    I liked it but it doesn't seem to me like the old good favorite daft punk. It's good, but not good enough after so many years of disappearance. The music is good listen to it) and I hope they make an album similar to the old ones.
  56. Jun 9, 2013
    This is a fantastic album if you were waiting for Daft Punk to release an Earth Wind and Fire album.

For those of you expecting more vocoder rock, this is a more tepid offering.

For those like me who were fans of their earlier, more aggressive electronic work, "Contact" is a true gem, and "Doin' It Right" is catchy pop, but the first 11 tracks are your father's R&B funk.
  57. Nov 13, 2013
    I'm a big Daft Punk fan and have been since I was about 14. I've enjoyed everything they've put out but frankly I hated this. It seemed a bit pointless, there was no invention it did nothing for me.
  58. Jun 12, 2013
    Daft Punk revitalises their EDM vibe into something completely fresh and exotic. Emotions range from creepy, operatic, funk, soul, rock, dance, and so much more. With tracks such as "Touch (Feat. Paul Williams)" and "Giorgio by Moroder", Daft Punk wraps and warps their style, managing to fit into places it shouldn't. You get the feel of Daft Punk, that urge to tap your feet and move, all the while enjoying every note along the way. Expand
  59. Jun 17, 2013
    Going back to the fast to make musical progressions in the future! I think Daft Punk really struck gold with this record: It's replay value is off the charts, it's catchy as hell, and gives off an authentic throwback vibe. Every song Great.
  60. Jun 18, 2013
    Very solid album by Daft Punk. Still great after 5-7 listens, but unfortunately after those 5-7 listens the album gets pretty boring. A good album is the type that gets better after you listen to it more and more, not saying this album is bad in any way, but RAM lacks in playback value.
  61. Jun 27, 2013
    Am I the only one who found this album to be simply boring? That's something I've never even said about music of any genre, however, I felt each track (with the exception of Touch) could've easily been 1min shorter and had more of an impact. Daft Punk pioneers in my book, RAM seems to be content with reDiscovery.
  62. Jun 26, 2013
    As usual, the longer you make people wait the more enthusiasm you'll get just check this graphic http://www.ziemianiczyja.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Good-To-Be-Back-Ziemianiczyja.pl_.jpg
  63. Jun 29, 2013
    It's not supposed to be Homework or Discovery. And as such, people should stop reviewing it as if it was either of those two albums. The only song that sounds remotely like anything on either of those albums is Contact, and that's only because they wrote a primitive version of the song at the same time as those other albums and never released it. I understand the disappointment some feel in its dissimilarities with earlier Daft Punk albums, however, it is wonderful in its own way. Expand
  64. Jul 7, 2013
    This has to be Daft Punk's best overall composition as an album and the one I've enjoyed listening to the most (beating out my other favorites Discovery and the Tron Legacy Soundtrack). The best way to listen to this album is in it's entirety. You can listen to songs by apart from listening to the whole album but I think the album is meant to be listened to at once. I have had many listening parties of this album with friends and it never disappoints. Great album to listen to by the pool as well. It still sounds like Daft Punk but breathes new life into their electronic image and elevates their music at the same time. Expand
  65. Jul 9, 2013
    Random Access Memories accomplishes everything it sets out to do. The beats, the melodies, the grooves, and every other sound on the album contribute toward Daft Punk's goal--to bring life back to music, on Guy-Man and Thomas's terms.
  66. Dec 12, 2013
    Daft Punk managed to incorporate powerful emotion, playfulness, and melodic funk in what is arguably one of the best releases of 2013, hearkening back to the 'sounds of the 60s and 70s'.

EDIT: I originally gave this album a 5/10. I realized I didn't give it the fair listen it deserved.
  67. Jul 21, 2013
    Having recently turned to the electronica genre, Daft Punk were like a "love at first sound", with fantastic tracks from Discovery and their Alive tours.

And then comes RAM. Frankly, I was not expecting this from them, being so different from their previous work. I was skeptic at first with the sound, playing "Get Lucky" on youtube once. Then forgot about them... But the music was stuck
    in my mind, and I just kept returning for more and more of it, until finally I gave up my resistance and got their album.

I've been playing only RAM for the past 5-7 days, and I've hit 4+ stars for 9 out of the 13 songs. I am trying to get out of it, but it keeps pulling me back... I can't escape RAM... please someone... help m3...
  68. Jul 23, 2013
    Let me start by saying the promotion of this album was first-class, awesome and it raised my expectations. I can't say the same about this album though. It starts off with an over-the-top guitar line, which gets you curious about what's ahead. What comes after it is a decent song. The second song (within)
    , and weakest point on the cd, is one that you probably want to skip. The
    pianoplaying of gonzales is good, but i just don't want to hear vocoder-vocals for a whole verse & chorus. The same thing counts for the songs the game of love and beyond. Get lucky is, ofcourse, a nice song. Lose yourself to dance gets boring after a whole though, and shows that pharrell isn't exactly the best singer. Fragments of time is okay, but not special.
    I'm not saying that the whole CD is worthless though. Giorgio by moroder is, although the talking part is a bit long, a masterpiece, just like contact. Touch and motherboard are just beautiful songs with great melodies, and i like the emotional vocals on touch. But overall, this album just isn't as good as what i expected.
  69. Jan 18, 2014
    [REUPLOAD]
  70. Oct 3, 2013
    This album brings back what music was founded on: art. This is, to date, Daft Punk's most personal album. The hard work put into this paid off. Daft Punk did something extremely difficult: Make an album not only can you dance to, but can be listened to solo in a darkened room. The progressive Pink-Floyd-like appeal of Contact, the Disco-Electronica Get Lucky, and the Dance MJ-like song Lose Yourself To Dance; This album will please most. Expand
  71. Oct 18, 2013
    Best and most creative work of Daft Punk. Instead of focusing on making futuristic music, back to the past, the genres of disco and electronica that was surely gave the album the innovative touch. Random Access Memories is not only the best album of the French duo's career, but also becomes the best album of the year.
  72. Oct 9, 2013
    While It's not my favorite Daft Punk album, (Discovery, Human after all) It does have a selection of great songs like Get Lucky, Doing it Right and Giorgio by Moroder. There are a few songs I cant stand like The Game of Love and Instant Crush. But overall, a very good album and I can strongly recommend.
  73. Oct 22, 2013
    Random Access Memories truly is the best album of th previous years. I mean, it contains many masterpieces such as Give Life Back to Music, Touch, Giorgio by Moroder, Motherboard...
    One does not simply dislike every song on this record, Funk and Disco sounds are quite represented with this kind of Daft Punk's mastered feel.
    This album is the peak of their career: genius ideas and hard
    work emanate from Random Access Memories, thus I can't imagine giving any other grade than 10, and f**k yes, I WILL compare this album to Dark Side of the Moon or even Thriller. Damn, thank you Daft Punk for giving me goosebumps Expand
  74. Mar 20, 2014
    Random access memories is definitely hands down the best album of the year. Finally, some music that actually feels fresh. Daft punk's new album really gives you a sense of the 70s/80s EDM and a really funky vibe. I must admit it doesn't feel like the same Daft Punk from 10 or so years ago, but is great nonetheless. A solid 8/10.
  75. Nov 15, 2013
    OMG how I tried to like this album, although, after at least ten listens, I am afraid that I can only give it a 5. I LOVE "Get Lucky" an I so appreciate a band making a daring, successful attempt at a disco beat in this day and age, and because of that, I wanted to try to like them, since I feel they are so courageous. However, the rest of the album's electronic, robotic, and generally lackluster and incoherent feel left me disappointed. Expand
  76. May 15, 2014
    Daft Punk have continued to provide us with mellow beats and good songs. This is an album that I could lose myself in whether on my way home or anywhere else. Thumbs up!
  77. Dec 29, 2013
    Is a perfect album, maybe isn't the typical album that all the fans expected from Daft Punk, but it's still an excellent album.
    Ps: for the simple fact that it is not the same style as the previous album, does not mean it's bad.
  78. May 5, 2014
    Random Access Memories is full of amazing songs, especially contact. The one complaint I do have is that the song Motherboard is really lacking, and not as memorable as the others, such as touch, giorgio, and contact are.
  79. Jan 17, 2014
    Franzosen im Disco-Electro Vibe

Daft Punk – Random Access Memories

Vor 21 Jahre bis sie ihre erste Single „The New Wave“ veröffentlicht hatten, waren Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo und Thomas Bangalter nur zwei electronic Musiker aus Frankreich. Durch ihre Instrumental Covers von freien Künstlern haben sie auch in ihrer folgenden Single „Da Funk“ gezeigt, dass sie von House–Techno bis
    Funk–Hiphop eigene Klangperspektiven beherrschen. Obwohl sie in den 90'er Jahren sehr gute Verkaufszahlen hatten und auch weltweit Bekannt wurden, hat ein Verlag sie als Daft Punk „Dumme Punk“ bezeichnet.

In 1997 haben Daft Punk ihr erstes Album „Homework“ veröffentlicht und haben mit dem Song „Arround the World“ in den Klassikern der 90'er Jahre ihren Platz eingenommen.

In 2001 sind sie mit dem „Discovery“ Album wieder in die Öffentlichkeit gekommen und haben in den Charts den zweiten Platz erreicht. Danach wurde das Album für den Anime Film „Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem“ als Soundtrack verwendet. Im gleichem Jahr wurde ihr live Album „Alive 1997“ veröffentlicht.

Vier Jahre später wurde das neue Album „Human After All“ in sechs Wochen aufgenommen und veröffentlicht, wobei das große Feedback ausblieb. Nach einer Woche der Veröffentlichung des Albums wurde „Musique Vol. 1: 1993-2005“ als „Best of Album“ veröffentlicht.

Ihr zweites live Album „Alive 2007“ wurde in 2007 produziert und veröffentlicht.

Daft Punk hat ihre Zuhörer seit 2007 und jetzt wieder mit der Veröffentlichung im Jahre 2013 durch das neuntes Album „Random Access Memories“ für sich gewonnen. Zwischen 2008-2012 aufgenommene 13 Songs wurden in fünf verschiedene Studios aufgezeichnet. Das Album hat eine Spielzeit von 74 min. 24 sek.. Sieben Songs wurden als Featuring von sieben international bekannten Künstlern, darunter Giorgio Moroder, Julian Casablancas, Pharrell Williams, Nile Rodgers, Paul Williams, Todd Edwards und Panda Bear begleitet. Das Album ist für die Disco-Electronic Genre produziert, und wurde von Columbia Records veröffentlicht. Die verwendeten Musikelemente laufen nicht nur auf Samples wie man es von Electronicmusik gewöhnt ist, stattdessen wurden der Großteil der Instrumente live eingespielt, wobei auf Synthesizer nicht verzichtet wurde. Das von Mick Guzauski abgemischte Album wurde von Bob Ludwig und Chab (Antoine Chabert) gemastert. Für die Songs „Get Lucky“ und „Lose Yourself to Dance“ wurden Musikvideos gedreht und in über 20 Länder im Fernsehen veröffentlicht.

Die Erweiterung der akustischen Instrumente im Album haben ihre Musikrichtung beeinflusst und ein schöne akustisch–elektronische Synthese gebildet. Durch die Featurings und die gut aufeinander abgestimmte Verteilung der Songs wird das Album auch bei langem Zuhören nicht langweilig.
  80. Mar 24, 2014
    Random Access Memories seems to look back on all the artists previous work, and mash it all together, whilst also adding in something far more creative and innovative. Access Memories is indeed a long album, but each and every single track on this album shines out and pulls you straight into the disco-techy void that this touching, exciting, steaming with adventure album in fact is. There won't be another dance album like this for a while, no doubt. Expand
  81. Jan 21, 2014
    Completely disappointed with this album. I love Daft Punk and own all their albums. This is the worse of them all. It's just plain boring, with only 2 songs that are actually great. The rest is just forgettable, with an all time low at number 7 called 'Touch', what happened with that song?!
    I just really don't get the fuss around this cd. I threw it out and put 'Alive 2007' back in the
    cd-player. Make an album like that again guys... Expand
  82. Jan 24, 2014
    This album is extremely diverse and interesting. It collects a whole range of genres and puts them together into Daft Punk's own special form. The resulting album sounds incredible with great tunes and rifts compressing into a great dance album. A must listen to album where all songs in the album should be listened to in order for a great experience where the songs make the whole album a thorough masterpiece. Expand
  83. Jan 26, 2014
    A landmark album. It's experimental,cinematic, and plays like a history of dance music. Not to mention that all of the collaborations are nothing short of legendary. It geeks out the music nerds out there, and pleases the tweens with perfect tracks like "Get Lucky" (over 150 Million views on youtube now.)
  84. Jul 26, 2014
    Properly Putting One In The Mood To Dance, Random Access Memories Brings Daft Punk's Signature Noise To The Stage And With It A Possible Uprising In Dance Music.
  85. Feb 11, 2014
    I don't why people now say that they miss the old daft punk.Sure Get Lucky was more of a mainstream type of pop music but I think the whole album together is just a a revision of their albums and to me it's an excellant dance music,electronica and with some songs like Touch and Within It just adds some soul to make a well rounded album and all the people givbing a score of 7 and below well they're just people who listen to Katy Perry and Justin bieber whole day ........well Prism is okay.......good perhaps. Expand
  86. Feb 12, 2014
    Love Random Access Memories because the record fuse digital instrumentation.
    The tribute to Giorgio Moroder is superb. I've listened the album dozens of times.
  87. Feb 14, 2014
    I never thought it would be possible to listen to such disco-sound-like brand new music in 2013.

Huge thanks to Daft Punk, Nile Rodgers and Pharrel Williams for this amazing and awesome album.
  88. Feb 22, 2014
    A perfect album from robot electronic duo Daft Punk. Better than Discovery, has less repetition. Daft Punk worked together great musicians like Nile Rodgers from Chic, Panda Bear, Julian Casablancas from The Strokes, Giorgio Moroder. RAM makes us feel like we are in 70s.
  89. Feb 28, 2014
    One of the best album of the year do by the bests artists of electro it's good to see french to have succes! but I have something to say for my -2 point. For me this is not realy Daft punk because this to pop.
  90. Mar 4, 2014
    I love the whole album. Our 2 robots associate perfectly many instruments to bring us the best tunes of the year 2013. I imagined that many tracks of this album will belong to the 25th future when the robots appear and gradually replace the human... Taste un cup of cafe while listening this album, so great
  91. Aug 22, 2014
    Gets all a bit bloated sometimes. It is a great CD, the greatest of last year, just flawed. "Touch" should've been a single. And "Lose Yourself to Dance" is mediocre.
  92. Apr 16, 2014
    Mesmo que esse disco não lembre em nada os seus antecessores, ''Random Acess Memories'' é um album que possui muito conteúdo. Com tracks mais comerciais como ''Get Lucky'' e ''Lose Yourself To Dance'', Daft Punk atinge o publico mais popular, mas ao mesmo tempo consegue chamar atenção do publico com gosto mais refinado com faixas que fazem referencia a musicas antigas. Tudo isso sem perder a magnitude do começo ao fim do disco e mostrando uma inovação da dupla francesa, rendendo ao album com o titulo de um dos melhores de 2013. Expand
  93. Apr 3, 2014
    The album Random Access Memories by Daft Punk don't have anything to show for the eletronic music in the current days. Pharell Willians isn't the Great musician, but is just a new face in the American Music. So, we can't believe that this work is important because the stereotypes of the society created.
  94. Mar 31, 2014
    8 years since their last album (I would not count Tron), the robots finally get their groove back. Literally. From start to finish, Random Access Memories reminds us how great 70's music is to the modern listeners. There's a homage to Giorgio Moroder in there which really brings back the late 70's early 80's disco-electro vibe, the addition of Nile Rodgers, and of course the fabulously addictive Pharrell-featuring Get Lucky. RAM plays well accordingly. From the first song all the way to the epic ending that begs your mind to start the journey all over again. In fact, when I got the album the first time, I could not stop playing it repeatedly. There are a few drawbacks though such as the fact that some songs sound nearly similar one another. Overall though, a great comeback from the duo and the one of the best albums of 2013. Expand
  95. Jul 2, 2014
    This album blew me away but I was wasn't expecting to hear this new wave of Daft Punk music. The new Daft Punk has now incorporated more radio friendly songs and excellent disco-tech that will keep you grooving into the wee hours of the night. Random Access Memories is an excellent album that surprised many loyal Daft Punk fans. Some will be turned off by the new style Daft Punk has incorporated but I for one am in awe by how groovy and slick this album actually turned out being. Expand

1. Jul 12, 2013
    As a record standing almost entirely on nostalgia, sure, it gives schmaltzy ’70s dance music a fine, not-sacrilegious update and sets it to a pleasant neon glow, but it’s a trip through history that’s almost more educational than immersive.
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    RAM has the immediate appeal of disco, but never overstuffs with candied hooks, even when we want it to.
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    They've wisely chosen to not compete with the younger generation of DJs, and shown the upstarts the roots of dance music. They've also proven that they are not one-trick ponies who can only build beats on samples. They do just as well with a completely different sonic pallette.