8.1

Review this album

1. Aug 8, 2013
    I did expect the album to be good, especially taking into account all the hype. And I really, I mean REALLY, wanted this album to be good. (I have to admit I actually liked ‘Get Lucky’ when I first heard it, way before it started being played every 5 min by all the radio stations and started getting on your nerves).
    I remember I got RAM the day it was released, put it on my car’s stereo
    I remember I got RAM the day it was released, put it on my car’s stereo hoping for something extraordinary to happen and… Nothing happened. My reaction to the album is best described by ‘MEH’. I found it quite mediocre and most of the time incredibly bland. For two consecutive weeks I listened to this album in my car hoping that it would grow on me. It didn’t. Well, ‘Loose yourself to dance’ and ‘Contact’ sort of did, although I found that the latter resembled ‘Aerodynamic’ too much for me to really enjoy it.
    I’m pretty sure this wouldn’t be called a ‘music defining’ album if released by somebody else, but it’s cool to like Daft Punk and RAM in particular, so everybody does. Better go out and actually get lucky.
  2. May 21, 2013
    Not the album you would expect, but that's part of what makes it great. It covers new ground and catches you unsuspecting for a sucker punch of the old mixed the new. If you're coming into this strictly wanting the electronic music you've come to love from Daft Punk, you're not going to have a good time, but if you're open to new possibilities you're going to love what you hear.

On a

On a side note, some people complain about the beginning to Giorgio by Moroder because there is a considerable bit of talking, but this is just part of the groove. It's not an interview as much as another instrument to add atmosphere.

The 10 I gave this album is not hyperbole. It is quite simply at a level of excellence that truly deserves a perfect score.
  3. May 21, 2013
    The hype this album had did not disappoint me. It was totally worth the wait. With epic pop songs like "Get Lucky" and "Instant Crush", this perfectly crafted masterpiece takes you to beautiful deep moments with "Within" and makes you want to shake your body with "Lose Yourself to Dance". "Give Life Back to Music" works as the perfect opener for this album and "Contact"... Guess what? TheThe hype this album had did not disappoint me. It was totally worth the wait. With epic pop songs like "Get Lucky" and "Instant Crush", this perfectly crafted masterpiece takes you to beautiful deep moments with "Within" and makes you want to shake your body with "Lose Yourself to Dance". "Give Life Back to Music" works as the perfect opener for this album and "Contact"... Guess what? The perfect ending. A huge epic ending.
    "Giorgio by Moroder" is a smart lengthy track that takes you into a trip inside Giorgio's musical life and, along with "Touch", is diverse and full of changes. "Fragments of Time" completes the album with its wonderful smooth ballad that leads us to "Doin' It Right", an excellent contribution with Panda Bear. This is one of those rare masterpieces that deserve the highest score possible. All the contributions here are magical: Pharrell Williams (tracks 6 and 8), Julian Casablancas (track 5) and Chilly Gonzales (track 4), just to name a few.
    Right away, from the first listen, you can tell that lots of time, dedication and love for music were put into this record. And the result... Well. let the numbers speak for itself.
  4. May 21, 2013
    Daft Punk were in danger of becoming a musical norm, the dowdy ordinary, the discarded gold standard, a flaking blueprint packed away in the archives, never to be consulted again. Until they create an album like Random Access Memories, possibly the world’s most misunderstood album ever recorded.

RAM is a bold and unashamedly gushing love letter to disco. Whether this is good or bad thing, time and repeat listens will decide.

A lot of critique of the album during the initial frenzied clamour to define or, more often than not, to deride Daft Punk’s intentions here, were about the sound of RAM it doesn’t sound like a real Daft Punk album, more akin to being labelled as a derivative disco record. Some unjustly comparisons went as far as likening it to a collection of lost Steely Dan demos and a bad Michael McDonald album. Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I like Steely Dan and Michael McDonald, I wish there were more records like them, unapologetic fluffy pop-jazz-funk hybrids with great competent live instrumentation that’s not always showy, but full of interesting ideas. RAM is an album that fits that description.

Giorgio By Moroder featuring, naturally, Giorgio Moroder on spoken word, reminiscing on the origins of his long musical career and overall aesthetic philosophy, while around it, like faithful disciples, Daft Punk build a little epic 9-minute sonata that segues from pulsing synth modulations into dinner party disco funk, then, unexpectedly, a sharp right turn into triumphant orchestration for an underdog movie and then straight down into a solid bass, drum and guitar stadium sized jam anthem, all the while Uncle Giorgio explaining his musical raison d'être, and indeed the overall message of Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories:

“…once you free your mind about the concept of harmony and of music being correct, you can do whatever you want…nobody told me what to do, there was no preconception…”

*edited from full review available at bizarrojerri.wordpress.com
  5. May 24, 2013
    If discovery is the album of the first decade of the XXI century, Random Access Memories is the album of the 2010's. Daft Punk's choice of using real drums is very effective and you can hear it. With this album they succeded in mixing progressive rock (see the intro in Touch), Jazz (see the electric piano medley in Giorgio by Moroder) electropop and of course dance togheter. They found aIf discovery is the album of the first decade of the XXI century, Random Access Memories is the album of the 2010's. Daft Punk's choice of using real drums is very effective and you can hear it. With this album they succeded in mixing progressive rock (see the intro in Touch), Jazz (see the electric piano medley in Giorgio by Moroder) electropop and of course dance togheter. They found a synthesis between all this genres and their style with their great autotune samples (get lucky, lose yourself to dance). Expand
  6. May 25, 2013
    I can't believe anyone had any kind of concrete expectations for this album. Daft Punk are next-level ARTISTS and people on their level don't make the same album twice in a row. I'm not a die-hard Daft Punk fan but I have been a fan since the late-90s, and I'm personally glad they took things in a different direction instead of just rehashing "One More Time" or "Robot Rock" just to pleaseI can't believe anyone had any kind of concrete expectations for this album. Daft Punk are next-level ARTISTS and people on their level don't make the same album twice in a row. I'm not a die-hard Daft Punk fan but I have been a fan since the late-90s, and I'm personally glad they took things in a different direction instead of just rehashing "One More Time" or "Robot Rock" just to please everyone. The production quality on this album is top-notch and it's a complete work that's meant to be listened to start to finish.

Some of the negative reviews here who admit to not even listening to the whole album are a joke. At least give the whole thing a fair amount of time before judging it. It still has the familiar Daft Punk vocals on a lot of it so they didn't COMPLETELY abandon their sound. They did a fantastic job on this album and I'm just surprised so many people are dismissing it because it's not as immediately catchy as previous albums. There are several danceable songs in here, just because it's not 13 epic bangers in a row doesn't mean they did a bad job here. They wanted to make an ALBUM and not a collection of singles and I commend them for it.
  7. May 24, 2013
    I have no idea what to classify this album under. That's the cool thing about Daft Punk, they're always evolving and adapting. There's collaborations with old and young artists of all styles, and they way they blend with Daft Punk is simple astounding and unique. No two songs sound much alike, and most of them are fantastic. There are a few tracks that don't stand as tall as the others,I have no idea what to classify this album under. That's the cool thing about Daft Punk, they're always evolving and adapting. There's collaborations with old and young artists of all styles, and they way they blend with Daft Punk is simple astounding and unique. No two songs sound much alike, and most of them are fantastic. There are a few tracks that don't stand as tall as the others, but are solid songs in their own right. The track "Lose Yourself to Dance" alone made me buy, this album, and I've had the distinct pleasure of listening to it, in it's entirety and adding other songs like Instant Crush, Doin It Right, and others to that list. Expand
  8. May 21, 2013
    This year marks the famous robotic duo Daft Punk's 20th year as a band and the release of their long awaited fourth studio album, Random Access Memories. Being announced a little over a month before its release, R.A.M. created a huge amount of hype and remixes from ads, TV spots, and a website makeover. Being my favorite band and artists of my favorite album, I was anxious to get my handsThis year marks the famous robotic duo Daft Punk's 20th year as a band and the release of their long awaited fourth studio album, Random Access Memories. Being announced a little over a month before its release, R.A.M. created a huge amount of hype and remixes from ads, TV spots, and a website makeover. Being my favorite band and artists of my favorite album, I was anxious to get my hands on Daft Punk's new album and for eight years, it was well worth the wait. Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo does not disappoint with these thirteen tracks and hour and a quarter of pure French House bliss. R.A.M. feels more like an experience more than an album with stand out songs such as Touch, Instant Crush, Get Lucky, and more. I highly recommend you pick up this phenomenal new album available on CD, vinyl, and digital download as soon as possible. Expand
  9. May 21, 2013
    I love this album and I love how Daft Punk continue to evolve their sound and experiment. It's almost never the exact same thing from them. I can't to hear what they will do next.
  10. May 21, 2013
    Absolutely amazing and compelling album which takes you back—to the future. It compeleld me in each song, and when I wasn't listening to it I was still inevitably dancing. AMAZING album.
  11. May 21, 2013
    well i think this album is honestly is the best album daft punk has ever released. It has lived up to all the rant and rave about it too it was well worth the wait. Some songs on this album seem to be repetitive but good. I think this album is getting a Grammy no matter what and if it doesn't I call shenanigans... That's all folk I would highly recommend purchasing this album.
  12. May 21, 2013
    Personally, I loved this album. Being a fan of their Homework and Discovery albums, I couldn't wait for RAM. It is genius how it combines music of the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today all in to one fresh album. "Give Life Back to Music" is a great way to start the album, as an exciting banger with Nile Rodger's riffs. Then, "The Game of Love" is a laid back, slow, mysterious sounding song. It is aPersonally, I loved this album. Being a fan of their Homework and Discovery albums, I couldn't wait for RAM. It is genius how it combines music of the 70s, 80s, 90s, and today all in to one fresh album. "Give Life Back to Music" is a great way to start the album, as an exciting banger with Nile Rodger's riffs. Then, "The Game of Love" is a laid back, slow, mysterious sounding song. It is a great song, but is easily overlooked by the "standouts" of the album. "Giorgio by Moroder" is one of my favorite songs on the album. It starts off with Giorgio Moroder narrating the early stages of his musical career, and then next thing you know a synthesizer tune, a remake of a tune of one of Moroder's original works, is piercing into your ears. Simple at first, but then there's a jazzy keyboard solo, then a bass solo, and towards the end there's suddenly an orchestra and an electric guitar and then this huge explosion of harmonies of tons of different instrumental elements blasts in your ear, all complimenting the basic synthesizer tune. Pure brilliant. Next is "Within", another slow song with melancholy lyrics, with Chilly Gonzales playing piano. Great song, but like "The Game of Love", it is constantly overlooked by the standout songs. After is "Instant Crush", a much more upbeat song with Julian Casablancas' vocoder vocals. Great song, but not one of my favorites on the album. After is "Lose Yourself to Dance", an extra funky disco jam with Nile Rodger's guitar riffs and Pharrell's MJ-like vocals. Probably one of the best dance songs on the album. Then is "Touch", featuring legendary singer/songwriter Paul Williams. Starting off with a strange, almost haunting distorted voice of Paul. Then fast piano-playing occurs, very upbeat, but then a strange children-choir joins, singing "If love is the answer then hold, hold on." Great song overall. Next is the most popular song, the one and only "Get Lucky", the other catchy disco groove with Pharrell vocals and Nile guitar riffs. The song is plain fun. Next is "Beyond", starting off with an orchestral theme, which could even be mistaken for the theme of a science fiction movie, then leading into a slow funky jam. Next is "Motherboard", an interesting jam as well, with interesting percussion drums and a mystical flute. After is "Fragments of Time". With the smooth vocals of Todd Edwards and the relaxed mood of the song, it makes you feel like you're driving down a Californian summer beach. Next is "Doin it Right" featuring Panda Bear of Animal Collective. This song is simple, but a great listen, probably the song on the album that sounds the most like Daft Punk's older stuff. Last but not least is "Contact", which was produced with DJ Falcon. This song is great, using the only sampling on the album, sampling The Sherb's "We Ride Tonight". The track is the best modern banger of the album and a great way to close the album.

Overall, the album is phenomenal. Although, if you expected Random Access Memories to be like Daft Punk's older stuff, prepare to be disappointed. However if you open up your mind, I'm sure you'll love this album. Listen to the album at least twice before you have an official view on it, because the album is so massive it takes a while to digest. Great album Daft Punk, one of the best I've heard in a very long time.
  13. May 22, 2013
    Daft Punk went on by a different and more difficult way !And in my opinion this succeed It is something that comes back to the roots and during the entire album has a history and a sense. It is not an album that people will love at the first listening. But when you enter the story it becomes more and more addicted...to the sound. I do not give a 10 because a thing the album it a bit tooDaft Punk went on by a different and more difficult way !And in my opinion this succeed It is something that comes back to the roots and during the entire album has a history and a sense. It is not an album that people will love at the first listening. But when you enter the story it becomes more and more addicted...to the sound. I do not give a 10 because a thing the album it a bit too long But ...definitely something fresh Expand
  14. May 23, 2013
    Absolutely gem of an album. It's lush, upbeat, emotional, exciting all at once. I listen to it in the morning and in the evening and then just about @all other times. This is what disco music should be and this is what will be relevant even a decade from now.

Hard to pick favorites but I love Giorgio by Moroder, Instant Crush, Doin' It Right, Beyond, Lose Yourself to Dance... I really could go on

The likes of Madonna need to work with artists as Daft Punk to take their talent to the next level.
  15. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Es lo mejor des de hace mucho tiempo, se apegan a sus orígenes con este nuevo proyecto musical. Con muchas expectativas este nuevo disco sali de entre las sombras para sorprendernos a propios y extraños. Aunque a muchos no les ha gustado ya que esperaban escuchar algo con lo que están familiarizados. En fin este disco llego para quedarse y romper records Expand
  16. May 23, 2013
    This isn't what i expected. But in a good way. It hooked me in with it's nostalgic, yet modern feel. It's a look back, but very today. There are a couple slight misses, but as a whole, it is quite the sublime record. Looking for a hi-energy non stop all out dance record? This isn't it. Looking for a brilliant, retro-mod ride? Then pick this up.
  17. May 23, 2013
    I really love this album. I haven't been a hardcore Daft Punk fan but i REALLY love this album.... It is excellent, the mastering and recording is T O P NOTCH!!!!!!! Quality. And i love the jazzy/rocky/electronic/funk/retro music..... Fine music, i love it.

There is a few songs i dont particularly like so much, but every song is IMO at least OK! It's close to perfect.

18. May 21, 2013
    A great and ambitious album thats not afraid to be softer at times. Nothing on this album feels like its on a grid like most music today especially electronic music. It flows completely different genres into one another beautifully. Daft Punk definitely nailed the emotion they were going for which is refreshing but the only problem this triumph of an album has is that it lacks the energyA great and ambitious album thats not afraid to be softer at times. Nothing on this album feels like its on a grid like most music today especially electronic music. It flows completely different genres into one another beautifully. Daft Punk definitely nailed the emotion they were going for which is refreshing but the only problem this triumph of an album has is that it lacks the energy some people would expect from electronic music. The hype for this album is just met but not exceeded. Tracks like Beyond and Game of Love can make you feel sleepy but dancing to them definitely wasnt the intent. This album wont make you feel like you got off a roller coaster but rather like you just saw the grand canyon. Expand
  19. May 23, 2013
    Excellent album! it perfectly syncs retro disco with electronic. when I first heard the song "Get Lucky" on YouTube I thought someone was rick rolling me with an Earth wind & Fire song and whenever I listen to this album I think of buying a disco ball for the living room.
  20. May 22, 2013
    Random Access Memories is a stratospheric record. And I highlight the word record, because that’s exactly what it is, and is also what few mainstream releases in 2013 especially in dance music can feasibly call themselves. It plays in a natural progression, constantly aware of its own momentum and taking every step necessary to keeping itself thriving. You’ve probably heard of itsRandom Access Memories is a stratospheric record. And I highlight the word record, because that’s exactly what it is, and is also what few mainstream releases in 2013 especially in dance music can feasibly call themselves. It plays in a natural progression, constantly aware of its own momentum and taking every step necessary to keeping itself thriving. You’ve probably heard of its incredible roster of musicians Nile Rodgers, Panda Bear, Pharrell Williams, Julian Casablancas etc. who are all there to humanize Daft Punk’s highly polished, fantastically produced sound. Simply put, it’s nothing less than the Stankonia of EDM. The session musicians also help to expand DP’s horizons to regions of quality they’ve previously been unable to attain.

This isn’t a collection of 13 perfect tracks, but if it were, it wouldn’t have made a perfect 75 minutes. In putting RAM together, Daft Punk were clearly aware of how to balance the album’s strengths; otherwise, the power of songs like “Touch” and “Contact” would have been diminished. Having said that, there isn’t a bad song here, and every track equates to a quality level of at least ‘very good’.

It all really boils down to the opener “Give Life Back To Music”, which like all great opening tracks sets the tone and sums up the entire album, serving as Random Access Memories‘ mission statement with its titular declaration and its whirlwind of instruments. Daft Punk have set out to make an actual album of dance music that strides over the pitfalls opened up by Human After All and gives today’s sterile mainstream a shot of vitality. And it’s fair to say that they have. The album is a trip it navigates emotional highs and lows with astounding finesse, whereas their previous best, Discovery, started high, swooped down and then rose slightly at the end. And while there were more party-suitable tracks on the 2001 album than just “Get Lucky”, that clearly isn’t the point this time around.

The record is littered with enough subtly arresting moments to keep it alive and guarantee enjoyment on every spin, such as the Giorgio Moroder interview that comes on like a Spotify advert, the bowel-shifting drums that kick-start “Lose Yourself to Dance”, the cool-yet-ecstatic vocoder section in “Get Lucky” and the disarming minimalism of “Doin’ it Right”.

The sad thing is that the album’s ambition is the flag that crowns the Daft Punk mountain. It’s what their career has been building up to, and the success of Random Access Memories is going to be hard to match or outdo without the next album completely imploding on itself. RAM is a galactic fusion of genres and ethnicities, a seamless collage of the 70s and 80s and then the sounds of the future. It has flaws, but these flaws are just breathing spaces for the astonishing levels of excellence this album achieves. It’s an eternal record that defines the possibilities available to those who really push themselves in music. By listening to Random Access Memories, you’re witnessing the greatest moment of Daft Punk’s career.
  21. May 21, 2013
    They gave life back to music. We need this king of music nowadays. "New" music is mostly repetitive and talk about the same: getting yourselves drunk because you have to enjoy life, being rich is amazing and you can do whatever you want (seariously is sad how many songs talk about that), SWAG. And all those stupid things that music these days mention that we forget the main reason ofThey gave life back to music. We need this king of music nowadays. "New" music is mostly repetitive and talk about the same: getting yourselves drunk because you have to enjoy life, being rich is amazing and you can do whatever you want (seariously is sad how many songs talk about that), SWAG. And all those stupid things that music these days mention that we forget the main reason of music: To Lose Ourselves to Dance. 10/10 Expand
  22. May 21, 2013
    Simply, Amazing! After the not so succesful "Human After All" Daft Punk comes back with their most polished and refined work to date. The French Duo has left its Teenage Wildstyle roots and made a more mature album.All the songs have soul and a different feeling, which gets never boring. Altough there are a few weak songs such as Motherboard and The Game of Love, the overall quality isSimply, Amazing! After the not so succesful "Human After All" Daft Punk comes back with their most polished and refined work to date. The French Duo has left its Teenage Wildstyle roots and made a more mature album.All the songs have soul and a different feeling, which gets never boring. Altough there are a few weak songs such as Motherboard and The Game of Love, the overall quality is outstanding.
    Definitely a must-buy for electro-dance genre lovers, new Daft Punk fans and old Daft Punk fans. PERIOD!!
  23. May 21, 2013
    An instant summer classic. This album didn't deserve the hype it deserved much more. Daft Punk has brought us back to the root of dance and electronic, showing us that even the most pure and organic sounds are able to synthesize into a masterpiece.

"I am deeply respectful of somebody who expresses their craft and their art, without the hunger, for the public attention. They (Daft Punk) disconnect who they are to allow you to experience what they create." Paul Williams
  24. May 24, 2013
    Random Access Memories is not only Daft Punk's best work, it's the best thing to happen to music in over a decade. Perfection from start to finish. Having said that, this album is going to confuse the hell out of a lot people. It's not the album they were expecting. It's better.
  25. May 21, 2013
    This album isn't bad but it just isn't what I was expecting. RAM has it's moments that make you just want to get up and dance, but its missing that true Daft Punk feel of their prior albums. I think it stems from the use of other vocalists, it really takes away from the album to the point where some songs do not even sound like they are Daft Punk. Songs I love: Give Life Back To Music,This album isn't bad but it just isn't what I was expecting. RAM has it's moments that make you just want to get up and dance, but its missing that true Daft Punk feel of their prior albums. I think it stems from the use of other vocalists, it really takes away from the album to the point where some songs do not even sound like they are Daft Punk. Songs I love: Give Life Back To Music, The Game of Love, and Contact. Expand
  26. May 22, 2013
    Daft Punk's most intelligent and deepest album to date, absolutely phenomenal. The scale of song's such as 'Touch', 'Giorgio by Moroder' and 'Contact' prove that Daft Punk are STILL ahead of the curve. Personal favourites are, 'Give Life back to Music', 'Touch', 'Instant Crush', 'Get Lucky', 'Doin' it Right' and of course the epic 'Giorgio By Moroder'.
  27. May 22, 2013
    It is a great album and a great disappointment for Daft Punk fans, especially those who expected something like Discovery or Human After All. For me every song felt like wtf. I wanted an album full of Alive 2007 level tracks. However, after listening to that Random Access Memories for several hours I realised that it is absolutely brilliant. Daft Punk were criticised for having lifelessIt is a great album and a great disappointment for Daft Punk fans, especially those who expected something like Discovery or Human After All. For me every song felt like wtf. I wanted an album full of Alive 2007 level tracks. However, after listening to that Random Access Memories for several hours I realised that it is absolutely brilliant. Daft Punk were criticised for having lifeless robotic songs and they've shown that they can put soul in their tracks. Expand
  28. May 24, 2013
    I'm sure why a departure from form is bad thing, other than constant complaints from the "They Changed It, Now It Sucks" crowd. Daft Punk's earlier work always seemed like it wanted to break out into proper Funk, and the influences of the 60s and 70s come through brilliantly on this album. That isn't to say the album is without flaws, "Touch" & "Fragments Of Time" are oddly out of placeI'm sure why a departure from form is bad thing, other than constant complaints from the "They Changed It, Now It Sucks" crowd. Daft Punk's earlier work always seemed like it wanted to break out into proper Funk, and the influences of the 60s and 70s come through brilliantly on this album. That isn't to say the album is without flaws, "Touch" & "Fragments Of Time" are oddly out of place and less than enjoyable, and the album ends on a bit of a weak note. All said however, the album has a fantastic groove to it, and rather than being flashing lights, fog machines and spazmodic epileptic dance inducing, it takes you down a soulful road that makes you want to move like they did before Disco, strut and preen like it's 1976. Standout tracks are opener "Give Life Back To Music", inevitable second single "Lose Yourself To Dance" (which actually nicks a guitar riff from Cut Chemist's "The Garden", but it's forgiveable because this track is so good), and the first single "Get Lucky". Expand
  29. May 27, 2013
    Vanilla. Not a bad album by any means but RAM really lacks a lot of the little auditory surprises I enjoy so much in their older work, especially Discovery. I don't know if that's BECAUSE they purged out sampling in this album, or it just happens to be the case on an album that has next to no samples, but the whole thing feels disappointingly safe and pedestrian. I'm used to DP makingVanilla. Not a bad album by any means but RAM really lacks a lot of the little auditory surprises I enjoy so much in their older work, especially Discovery. I don't know if that's BECAUSE they purged out sampling in this album, or it just happens to be the case on an album that has next to no samples, but the whole thing feels disappointingly safe and pedestrian. I'm used to DP making clever little aural twists by mashing up 80s disco; this is... just 80s disco.

I can definitely see these tracks as being baseline material for some great remixes, but on their own I feel little urge to listen to them more than once.
  30. Jul 26, 2013
    I have to applaud Daft Punk for doing something a little different than their previous albums. Random Access Memories is not necessarily one of my favorites from them, but it's solid. Get Lucky is a killer track. However, I was not crazy about Giorgio by Moroder. It's a bit long. And after a while I found myself skipping it to go on to the next track.
  31. Jun 1, 2013
    Four words: Album of the Summer

With nary a bad track throughout the entire 74 minute journey, RAM brings disco back into the mainstream. While underground artists continued to play with disco (in various forms) since the 70s, daft punk bring life to an otherwise dead sound.
  32. Jul 21, 2013
    Elevator muzak for cubicle dwellers, RAM mashes the sounds of a half-remembered past into golden, sticky goo that sounds good coming out of your laptop speakers. But check the list of ingredients and it says only this: corn syrup, food coloring, artificial flavors.
  33. May 29, 2013
    This album is a little more mellow and laid back than their previous work, but the more you listen, the better the songs get. The collaboration and effort to perfect this album is excellent. Any future remixes should also be excellent.
  34. May 31, 2013
    This review is false, so I give only 70 to balance the scales, is an exaggeration, over 80!
    the music business annoys me, the magazines deceive people can do whatever they want with an album, and metacitic do this, choose the most appropriate magazines to give them most covem score. If they want to lower the value of an album, just go pick up some magazines which gave a low review, and avoid the magazines that give good quote, this is and I do not go there.
    A good exempo are QOTSA, choose magazines that give a very low value and avoid putting magazines that give good quote.
      More Light-Primal Scream is a good example, revisions of the latter album are very evident, where are the magazines or websites that give more than 80%. They do not exist? Does Allmusic.com there for example? But the magazines that give reviews below 70, there are already!
  35. May 29, 2013
    A really nice blend of commercial hits and experimental club dance; the hits, such as 'Get Lucky' and 'Lose Yourself to Dance', allow the album to be popular in the mainstream, and the experimental material will hopefully open the minds of the mainstream to new and exciting sounds, which do not hit into the formula they are used to. However, some of the tracks, which are innovative andA really nice blend of commercial hits and experimental club dance; the hits, such as 'Get Lucky' and 'Lose Yourself to Dance', allow the album to be popular in the mainstream, and the experimental material will hopefully open the minds of the mainstream to new and exciting sounds, which do not hit into the formula they are used to. However, some of the tracks, which are innovative and artistic, such as 'Giorgio by Moroder', I find difficult to listen to as they are somewhat too 'outside of the box', but that is just my own closed mindedness and I'm sure after listening to the album a couple more times, I will appreciate its creativity and innovation much more. Worth buying. Expand
  36. May 27, 2013
    Random Access Memories is Daft Punk;s fourth studio album and this time the electric dance duo tries something quite different then anything they have ever released. After dropping the perfect single Get Lucky" fans went wild within minutes the whole world knew about this new album and everyone and their mothers were anticipating it. Finally the album dropped for the whole world to listenRandom Access Memories is Daft Punk;s fourth studio album and this time the electric dance duo tries something quite different then anything they have ever released. After dropping the perfect single Get Lucky" fans went wild within minutes the whole world knew about this new album and everyone and their mothers were anticipating it. Finally the album dropped for the whole world to listen and like millions of others i decided to give it a listen and i have got to say i love it and would really like to see Daft Punk take this new sound a grow on it. This album is super fun to listen to and is full of new sounds and new genre experimentation from genres like Jazz, Soul, Funk, and more, However it may sound different but it;s still Daft Punk and that;s why so many people love it. The opening rack Give Life Back to Music" is the best way to begin this album. It just makes you think and it makes you want to give your life to music. i also loved "Giorgio by Moroder" which has a an awesome beginning it really keeps you listening when the music slowly builds to the end of the speech and then it kicks and thats when i really start to enjoy this track. Another favorite track of mine is "Doin' it Right" probably my favorite track on this record it;s just so catchy and has a super cool beat with beautiful vocals. The song "Contact" is a incredible way to end the record and makes you wish more tracks were like it on this record. If this album had more songs like "Get Lucky" and Doin' it Right" and less of tracks like "Game of Love" and "Within" this album would've been perfect. Overall this album is amazing and a highlight of 2013. i give it a solid 9 out of 10 Expand
  37. May 29, 2013
    Remember when Daft Punk announced that they wanted to do something different? Well this is the album they were most likely talking about. RAM is definitely NOT for everyone and if you are a "Discovery" fan then you might feel a little disappointed in this album. This of course does not imply that the album is bad. On the contrary, in my opinion, the album is good to an extent and is greatRemember when Daft Punk announced that they wanted to do something different? Well this is the album they were most likely talking about. RAM is definitely NOT for everyone and if you are a "Discovery" fan then you might feel a little disappointed in this album. This of course does not imply that the album is bad. On the contrary, in my opinion, the album is good to an extent and is great relaxation music.

The jazzy tunes, the slow-dance music. Compared to previous albums this is probably the mellowest (if that's even a word) album of them all. There is no "deep" lyrics, is basically like taking a trip back to the 70s/80s and just having good old fun.

If you are looking to get your EDM, Super party mode on, this album is not it. But if you are tired of always listening to the bass drop and want to soothe your ears then by all means check out RAM.
  38. Jun 9, 2013
    This is a fantastic album if you were waiting for Daft Punk to release an Earth Wind and Fire album.

For those of you expecting more vocoder rock, this is a more tepid offering.

For those like me who were fans of their earlier, more aggressive electronic work, "Contact" is a true gem, and "Doin' It Right" is catchy pop, but the first 11 tracks are your father's R&B funk.
  39. Jun 26, 2013
    As usual, the longer you make people wait the more enthusiasm you'll get just check this graphic http://www.ziemianiczyja.pl/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Good-To-Be-Back-Ziemianiczyja.pl_.jpg
  40. Jan 21, 2014
    Completely disappointed with this album. I love Daft Punk and own all their albums. This is the worse of them all. It's just plain boring, with only 2 songs that are actually great. The rest is just forgettable, with an all time low at number 7 called 'Touch', what happened with that song?!
    I just really don't get the fuss around this cd. I threw it out and put 'Alive 2007' back in the cd-player. Make an album like that again guys...
  41. Apr 3, 2014
    The album Random Access Memories by Daft Punk don't have anything to show for the eletronic music in the current days. Pharell Willians isn't the Great musician, but is just a new face in the American Music. So, we can't believe that this work is important because the stereotypes of the society created.
  42. Jul 3, 2013
    I have been listening to Daft Punk since the first record. Of enjoyed how their music has grown and changed. I was a little disappointed by this album because when you stack it up against their previous efforts it's...just a really big departure in a lot of ways. It's catchy, some of the songs have great hooks, and they're not afraid to dabble and experiment a little bit as well.I have been listening to Daft Punk since the first record. Of enjoyed how their music has grown and changed. I was a little disappointed by this album because when you stack it up against their previous efforts it's...just a really big departure in a lot of ways. It's catchy, some of the songs have great hooks, and they're not afraid to dabble and experiment a little bit as well. However, if you play this album after one of their previous ones, it's almost like a different band at times. However, I hear say they may be doing a "Daft Punkier" mix of this album. Now that is something I would like to hear. In the end, I am glad that the album is not forgettable or terrible, it's merely a lot more pop orientated. I think that they will actually find they gain a lot of new listeners with this album that may not have cared for them as much in the past? Expand
  43. Jun 12, 2013
    Quite boring compared to their previous efforts. Fast songs are ok, slow songs are all a bit meh. Due to all the hype I was expecting a classic listening experience but it's actually really dull, and if it didn't have "Daft Punk" on the cover I think a lot more people would think the same way.

Overrated.
  44. Jun 7, 2013
    Para los que creían que Daft Punk habían llegado a un bache, vuelven con toda, se reinventan y llegan con este refresco de muy buena música, alejados como siempre del mal gusto comercial que es lo que alegra. y haciendo un viaje por la buena vibra setentera y ochentera.
  45. Jul 12, 2013
    Daft Punk time-travels to the 1970s to create music with the most influential funk bands of the era, then returns to modern day and debuts their private recordings. They're beautiful. It's based on a true story. A true story of time travel.
  46. Sep 1, 2013
    Back in the '90s Dance music was a big genre thanks two robots in suits named Daft Punk, With their album "Homework" and several Eps that they released. Once the 2000's hit their single "One More Time" became their biggest hit to date, it also helped thanks to Anime inspired music videos for their album "Discovery" and throughout the rest of those twelve years they performed at severalBack in the '90s Dance music was a big genre thanks two robots in suits named Daft Punk, With their album "Homework" and several Eps that they released. Once the 2000's hit their single "One More Time" became their biggest hit to date, it also helped thanks to Anime inspired music videos for their album "Discovery" and throughout the rest of those twelve years they performed at several concerts and were responsible for the soundtrack to "Tron Legacy" but not much has progressed for their career. Now it's 2013 and Daft Punk releases their long awaited new album "Random Access Memories" which is being called "The Best album of the year" and that quote my friends is from me. This album defines the words "Good Music" but instead of good it's Masterful, it's so different, so special, and is something that will bring Daft Punk to the top of the charts. First off "Random Access Memories" has it's own story to tell, as it's about the Love for Music going back to what music was really about, it may feel dated for the short minded, but for people who love the art of music, it's extremely rewarding listening to these tracks. The opening track "Give Life Back to Music" is one of the best openings for an album this year next to Justin Timberlake's "Pusher Love Girl" for his album "The 20/20 Experience" and the album continues on with "The Game of Love" and more tracks that all tell an amazing story about music. One of the best songs on here is "Giorgio by Moroder" which is a mix of commentary and just simple strings and a synthesizer and it's such an beautiful song. A lot of the sounds here are very '70s Disco like and is different from today's Electronic music which was inspired by earlier songs by Daft Punk, it's great to see Punk's music changing by not being like every song out there, while still staying fun to listen to. Guest appearances include Pharrell, Panda Bear, and Paul Williams and although it's not earth shatteringly amazing, it's still fine appearances and it provides more depth to the songs they appear on. The album is thirteen song long, but it never becomes boring for all the 74 minutes it delivers. Overall, there's not much else I can say about "Random Access Memories" but that it's one of the most heartfelt pieces of work I've seen in sometime, and is worth listening for anyone who just loves music in general. Expand
  47. Jun 12, 2013
    always hard to separate the hype from the product, but especially so with a band like Daft Punk. this was not quite the 8/10, but I rounded up and I think that figure will hold over time. review sketch if you care here: here:http://simmserely.blogspot.com/2013/05/daft-punk-random-access-memories-review.html
  48. Oct 11, 2013
    Get Lucky was one of the most surprising hit singles I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. For a song by an act who'd only ever had one big hit and one reasonable hit in the 19 years they'd been making music, to achieve the success that they did with this track (which included #1's in regions that they'd never succeeded in before) was something of a miracle. To achieve that level of success,Get Lucky was one of the most surprising hit singles I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. For a song by an act who'd only ever had one big hit and one reasonable hit in the 19 years they'd been making music, to achieve the success that they did with this track (which included #1's in regions that they'd never succeeded in before) was something of a miracle. To achieve that level of success, it had to be a generic track that embodied all the current trends, right? No, it was a throwback to the 70's disco movement, the complete opposite to what the public wanted, yet for some reason, it took off and I knew it was pointless making predictions about what was going to be popular anymore. Due to the single's success, there was significant hype around this album, which puzzled me as while Daft Punk haven't released many albums, I had never been aware of this demand for them and certainly not when they were releasing 70's disco jams. After the album's release, there was considerable confusion among fans as to what the duo were thinking and genuine surprise among critics as to what made them decide to do something so avant garde. And I understand why: RAM is an album full of bizarre choices and is the opposite to what mainstream DJs are doing right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of modern dance music, but that doesn't mean I'd rather it became so low key to the point where it's undanceable. Ironically, the only kind of music that has never made me feel like dancing is disco music. It's so bland and soul-less to me and I have relatives who lived through the 70's who can testify to this. So, to listen to an album that consisted of this theme for 78 minutes was quite frankly, torture. If it's not throwing boring disco music full of repetition at you, it's making you stomach the rambling nonsense that is Giorgio by Moroder for 9 minutes. I have heard people say that this album is really cutting edge and revolutionary. What is cutting edge and revolutionary about singing banal lyrics like "We're up all night to get lucky" and "If we're doing it right, everybody will be dancing"? That's the sort of lyrics amateur songwriters can come up with in 5 minutes. The only rays of hope are, in an unusual theme, all the tracks composed of one word: Within, Touch, Beyond, Motherboard, Contact, and bonus track, Horizon. Here you will find relaxing, euphoric tunes that make me see, just for a moment, what the fans of this album saw. But the rest of it sounds like it's from a completely different album.
    What has really disappointed me more than the album's potential buried under a pile of stinkers, is the reaction from those who praised it. Predicatably, an album that splits public opinion like this will have those who have a sense of superiority regarding anyone who didn't like it to be uncultured, musically ignorant, you name it. If you're below the age of 30 and don't have a degree in music, your opinion isn't valid, apparently. Well, while I might still be discovering all the intricacies of music at my age and am not a professional music critic or expert, I do listen to lots of albums a year and open my mind to all music, which is a lot more than some of those with a superiority complex do. I also have a fascination with sound and am part of the ASMR community (look it up). As such, I understand that we all have different musical tastes for a reason and no one's taste is better than others. I would advise anyone listening to this album to not be taken in by music snobs who will praise anything just because it's "different" and listen to it with your opinion solely in mind.
  49. Jun 4, 2013
    Draft is back! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first DP album to not have a movie with it since homework. Not as good as discovery, but not too shabby. This is the thing to me with them they have created many masterpieces, so that comes with the typical hype. I think what we have here is just a good chill record. Its hard to follow super massive success, and I feel like they justDraft is back! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first DP album to not have a movie with it since homework. Not as good as discovery, but not too shabby. This is the thing to me with them they have created many masterpieces, so that comes with the typical hype. I think what we have here is just a good chill record. Its hard to follow super massive success, and I feel like they just said it let's have fun, I support them and this album all the way. My top 3 probably give life back, Giorgio, and get lucky. Just chill and let it grow on you if you expect anything, you already expect to much. Good one guys you won't ever let us down! Now get in you're pyramid and tour!!! Haha Expand
  50. Jun 6, 2013
    Didn't think much of this album at first, but then you'll notice that you'll be going through your day and a tune is stuck in your head, and it's from this album (and it's not Get Lucky). I've now had that happen with over half the songs in the album. It grew from a 5 or 6/10 album to a full out 10/10 over the course of 2-3 front to back sessions. Sounds even better if you have a greatDidn't think much of this album at first, but then you'll notice that you'll be going through your day and a tune is stuck in your head, and it's from this album (and it's not Get Lucky). I've now had that happen with over half the songs in the album. It grew from a 5 or 6/10 album to a full out 10/10 over the course of 2-3 front to back sessions. Sounds even better if you have a great hifi setup, the production value of this album is top notch! Expand
  51. Jun 7, 2014
    Nile Rogers and Pharrel Williams collaboration featuring Daft Punk. There is little here of what made Daft Punk great. The boundary pushing, the experimentation, the beats and the bleeps are sacrificed to be replaced by the soft disco funk that lived and died after a brief albeit enjoyable existence in the late 70's. Gone are the excellent yet unknown vocalists of Discovery to make roomNile Rogers and Pharrel Williams collaboration featuring Daft Punk. There is little here of what made Daft Punk great. The boundary pushing, the experimentation, the beats and the bleeps are sacrificed to be replaced by the soft disco funk that lived and died after a brief albeit enjoyable existence in the late 70's. Gone are the excellent yet unknown vocalists of Discovery to make room for big names, as if Daft Punk need to resort to adding featuring 'flavor of the month' artist to every other song. Nothing will date the albums of recent years more than the soon to be forgotten guest vocalists that must be added to the track name, seems that being hidden in the sleeve notes isn't good enough anymore. The exception is Julian Cassablancas on Instant Crush, one of the best songs on show and he is not afraid to have his vocal digitized till near unrecognizable. By removing all the Pharrell songs from your mp3 player you can have a much more enjoyable experience;you'd be forgiven for thinking you'd bought a new Nile Rogers album though. Expand
  52. Oct 15, 2013
    Daft Punk have released a solid album. A very long return that sadly does feel like it drags on a bit. However, the album does deliver songs that are instantly catchy and make you want to relisten to them plenty of times.
  53. Jun 5, 2013
    The un-doubtful style of Daft Punk is clear in every song. Old times come back to mind and I must say Giorgio by Moroder is one of the finest pieces I've heard him in.
  54. Jul 3, 2013
    A great direction for Daft Punk!

The albums melodies and general song structures are more prominent than in previous albums. Despite songs lacking bass-driving beats, the last track Contact provides a highly-energetic conclusion of the album. The eclectic instrumentation compliments the musical style which varies from disco to funk, and jazz, house and 80s synth-pop. However, I would
    A great direction for Daft Punk!

However, I would of liked to have seen more familiar collaborations, I feel Paul Williams adds a sense of a 50s sound which seems to be out of place and doesn't fit in with the vocoder or high-pitch vocals of Pharrell on Get Lucky.
  55. Sep 7, 2013
    Speaking as someone who really couldn't claim to be a fan of the genre or style of music this album is phenomenal. And let's just get that out of the way; the only electronic music that I truly listen to is basically Monstercat remixes.

This album could have been a flop in the sense that it sets out to please everyone and usually when you do that, nobody ends up satisfied. This is completely different as they have succeeded on every single level. Random Access Memories is one of those albums where even a non-fan can pick it up and enjoy it. For example I bought this album in a little CD shop on my trip to London. After that we went to Scotland and drove around the country for hours every single day. My CD:s were the only thing (along with Rubber Soul, Revolver and Bob Marley's Legend) that both of my parents actually liked. That's how good this is.

The tone for Random Access Memories is quite sad with only a few songs that are up-beat and cheery (Lose yourself to Dance, Get Lucky) but these songs are not the best ones on the album. The best ones are the ones that feature smaller artists and that successfully tell a story. Sometimes that story isn't even delivered through words but more through a myriad of sounds. Listening to this is like listening to Chopin's Nocturne; it just takes you away and doesn't let go until the end of the album. This album is pleasing to both ears and mind and it also appeals both to hardcore and casual listeners alike.

This is electronic music at its very finest.
  56. Jun 3, 2013
    This album has been a long time coming and Daft Punk doesn't disappoint. Like a tossed salad, all the sounds of the past 50 years are beautifully mixed throughout the entire album. Disco. Swing. 80s. Techno. R&B. You name the genre, it probably has it.

I don't know if I remember the last time each track in an album sounded so different from the others. I'd personally prefer a bit more electronic sounds, but overall, a great album.
  57. Jun 3, 2013
    Nice music but sorry to say that, no one would have notice this album without the "Daft Punk" label on the cover. Neat and sweet but I was expecting better from this band, 8 years after Human After all.
  58. Jun 4, 2013
    Random Access Memories is a return to form for Daft Punk, however the focus on having cameos and guests on many of the tracks ruins many of the songs. There's almost a uncanny, cheesy feel to most of the album as it features Microsoft Sam singing many of the backing vocals. Nevertheless, there are half a dozen songs here that I truly enjoyed, which is more than I can say for most of DaftRandom Access Memories is a return to form for Daft Punk, however the focus on having cameos and guests on many of the tracks ruins many of the songs. There's almost a uncanny, cheesy feel to most of the album as it features Microsoft Sam singing many of the backing vocals. Nevertheless, there are half a dozen songs here that I truly enjoyed, which is more than I can say for most of Daft Punk's albums. Expand
  59. Jun 6, 2013
    Another excellent album from the french house duo, coming fresh off their last project of movie scoring, I find this album a great step into the exploration of music and it's history. The 60's and 70's themes are predominant throughout the entire album, and Daft Punk goes so far as to interview the producer they collaborated with in the album. The third song, 'Giorgio by Moroder' I seeAnother excellent album from the french house duo, coming fresh off their last project of movie scoring, I find this album a great step into the exploration of music and it's history. The 60's and 70's themes are predominant throughout the entire album, and Daft Punk goes so far as to interview the producer they collaborated with in the album. The third song, 'Giorgio by Moroder' I see mostly as an explanation for the album, bringing in one of the godfathers of the type of dance/pop music that naturally evolved into what we know now as electronica.

Definitely give the album a thorough listen through, as many of the themes in the album clearly dictate where the sound that Daft Punk is so famously known for has come from.
  60. Jun 7, 2013
    I lay no claim to being a fan of Daft Punk, but have now listened to RAM at least 12 times in the past 72 hours and am quite sure it is right there with the best albums that I've sat and listened to. It's a combination of Kool and the Gang and Sgt Pepper meets Popcorn, which I heard in Spain as a kid--- if that's possible. Apparently, it is. The key to it is the sound. I get what it'sI lay no claim to being a fan of Daft Punk, but have now listened to RAM at least 12 times in the past 72 hours and am quite sure it is right there with the best albums that I've sat and listened to. It's a combination of Kool and the Gang and Sgt Pepper meets Popcorn, which I heard in Spain as a kid--- if that's possible. Apparently, it is. The key to it is the sound. I get what it's reminiscent of but have never heard anything sound like like this tonally. Amazing record. Expand
  61. Jun 7, 2013
    Daft Punk's first album in years doesn't disappoint its fans one little bit. People were skeptical that they couldn't recreate the revolution they sparked back in the 90s, but they surely did. I have to admit I don't adore every song on this album, but I love most them. My favorites include, Get Lucky, Lose Yourself to Dance, and Fragments of Time. They have amazing artists featured in theDaft Punk's first album in years doesn't disappoint its fans one little bit. People were skeptical that they couldn't recreate the revolution they sparked back in the 90s, but they surely did. I have to admit I don't adore every song on this album, but I love most them. My favorites include, Get Lucky, Lose Yourself to Dance, and Fragments of Time. They have amazing artists featured in the songs of this album, they add the perfect touch to these already spectacular songs, such as Pharrell Williams, Todd Edwards, and Julian Casablancas. This isn't my favorite Daft Punk album, but it already is and will most likely stay my favorite album of 2013. Expand
  62. Jun 9, 2013
    I liked it but it doesn't seem to me like the old good favorite daft punk. It's good, but not good enough after so many years of disappearance. The music is good listen to it) and I hope they make an album similar to the old ones.
  63. Dec 17, 2014
    Nadie se copia de Daft Punk, su estilo es único, así como su forma de ver el House desde su perspectiva mas empírica, desde sus componentes musicales como la experimentación con sus raíces, la música disco, algo que sin duda hacen mejor que nadie en el mundo de la música House.
  64. Nov 13, 2013
    I'm a big Daft Punk fan and have been since I was about 14. I've enjoyed everything they've put out but frankly I hated this. It seemed a bit pointless, there was no invention it did nothing for me.
  65. Jun 12, 2013
    Daft Punk revitalises their EDM vibe into something completely fresh and exotic. Emotions range from creepy, operatic, funk, soul, rock, dance, and so much more. With tracks such as "Touch (Feat. Paul Williams)" and "Giorgio by Moroder", Daft Punk wraps and warps their style, managing to fit into places it shouldn't. You get the feel of Daft Punk, that urge to tap your feet and move, allDaft Punk revitalises their EDM vibe into something completely fresh and exotic. Emotions range from creepy, operatic, funk, soul, rock, dance, and so much more. With tracks such as "Touch (Feat. Paul Williams)" and "Giorgio by Moroder", Daft Punk wraps and warps their style, managing to fit into places it shouldn't. You get the feel of Daft Punk, that urge to tap your feet and move, all the while enjoying every note along the way. Expand
  66. Jun 18, 2013
    Very solid album by Daft Punk. Still great after 5-7 listens, but unfortunately after those 5-7 listens the album gets pretty boring. A good album is the type that gets better after you listen to it more and more, not saying this album is bad in any way, but RAM lacks in playback value.
  67. Jun 27, 2013
    Am I the only one who found this album to be simply boring? That's something I've never even said about music of any genre, however, I felt each track (with the exception of Touch) could've easily been 1min shorter and had more of an impact. Daft Punk pioneers in my book, RAM seems to be content with reDiscovery.
  68. Jun 29, 2013
    It's not supposed to be Homework or Discovery. And as such, people should stop reviewing it as if it was either of those two albums. The only song that sounds remotely like anything on either of those albums is Contact, and that's only because they wrote a primitive version of the song at the same time as those other albums and never released it. I understand the disappointment some feelIt's not supposed to be Homework or Discovery. And as such, people should stop reviewing it as if it was either of those two albums. The only song that sounds remotely like anything on either of those albums is Contact, and that's only because they wrote a primitive version of the song at the same time as those other albums and never released it. I understand the disappointment some feel in its dissimilarities with earlier Daft Punk albums, however, it is wonderful in its own way. Expand
  69. Jul 9, 2013
    Random Access Memories accomplishes everything it sets out to do. The beats, the melodies, the grooves, and every other sound on the album contribute toward Daft Punk's goal--to bring life back to music, on Guy-Man and Thomas's terms.
  70. Dec 12, 2013
    Daft Punk managed to incorporate powerful emotion, playfulness, and melodic funk in what is arguably one of the best releases of 2013, hearkening back to the 'sounds of the 60s and 70s'.

EDIT: I originally gave this album a 5/10. I realized I didn't give it the fair listen it deserved.
  71. Jul 21, 2013
    Having recently turned to the electronica genre, Daft Punk were like a "love at first sound", with fantastic tracks from Discovery and their Alive tours.

And then comes RAM. Frankly, I was not expecting this from them, being so different from their previous work. I was skeptic at first with the sound, playing "Get Lucky" on youtube once. Then forgot about them... But the music was stuck in my mind, and I just kept returning for more and more of it, until finally I gave up my resistance and got their album.

I've been playing only RAM for the past 5-7 days, and I've hit 4+ stars for 9 out of the 13 songs. I am trying to get out of it, but it keeps pulling me back... I can't escape RAM... please someone... help m3...
  72. Jul 23, 2013
    Let me start by saying the promotion of this album was first-class, awesome and it raised my expectations. I can't say the same about this album though. It starts off with an over-the-top guitar line, which gets you curious about what's ahead. What comes after it is a decent song. The second song (within)
    , and weakest point on the cd, is one that you probably want to skip. The
    , and weakest point on the cd, is one that you probably want to skip. The pianoplaying of gonzales is good, but i just don't want to hear vocoder-vocals for a whole verse & chorus. The same thing counts for the songs the game of love and beyond. Get lucky is, ofcourse, a nice song. Lose yourself to dance gets boring after a whole though, and shows that pharrell isn't exactly the best singer. Fragments of time is okay, but not special.
    I'm not saying that the whole CD is worthless though. Giorgio by moroder is, although the talking part is a bit long, a masterpiece, just like contact. Touch and motherboard are just beautiful songs with great melodies, and i like the emotional vocals on touch. But overall, this album just isn't as good as what i expected.
  73. Jan 18, 2014
    [REUPLOAD]
    [REUPLOAD]
  74. Oct 3, 2013
    This album brings back what music was founded on: art. This is, to date, Daft Punk's most personal album. The hard work put into this paid off. Daft Punk did something extremely difficult: Make an album not only can you dance to, but can be listened to solo in a darkened room. The progressive Pink-Floyd-like appeal of Contact, the Disco-Electronica Get Lucky, and the Dance MJ-like songThis album brings back what music was founded on: art. This is, to date, Daft Punk's most personal album. The hard work put into this paid off. Daft Punk did something extremely difficult: Make an album not only can you dance to, but can be listened to solo in a darkened room. The progressive Pink-Floyd-like appeal of Contact, the Disco-Electronica Get Lucky, and the Dance MJ-like song Lose Yourself To Dance; This album will please most. Expand
  75. Oct 18, 2013
    Best and most creative work of Daft Punk. Instead of focusing on making futuristic music, back to the past, the genres of disco and electronica that was surely gave the album the innovative touch. Random Access Memories is not only the best album of the French duo's career, but also becomes the best album of the year.
  76. Oct 9, 2013
    While It's not my favorite Daft Punk album, (Discovery, Human after all) It does have a selection of great songs like Get Lucky, Doing it Right and Giorgio by Moroder. There are a few songs I cant stand like The Game of Love and Instant Crush. But overall, a very good album and I can strongly recommend.
  77. Oct 22, 2013
    Random Access Memories truly is the best album of th previous years. I mean, it contains many masterpieces such as Give Life Back to Music, Touch, Giorgio by Moroder, Motherboard...
    One does not simply dislike every song on this record, Funk and Disco sounds are quite represented with this kind of Daft Punk's mastered feel.
    This album is the peak of their career: genius ideas and hard
    This album is the peak of their career: genius ideas and hard work emanate from Random Access Memories, thus I can't imagine giving any other grade than 10, and f**k yes, I WILL compare this album to Dark Side of the Moon or even Thriller. Damn, thank you Daft Punk for giving me goosebumps
  78. Mar 20, 2014
    Random access memories is definitely hands down the best album of the year. Finally, some music that actually feels fresh. Daft punk's new album really gives you a sense of the 70s/80s EDM and a really funky vibe. I must admit it doesn't feel like the same Daft Punk from 10 or so years ago, but is great nonetheless. A solid 8/10.
  79. Nov 15, 2013
    OMG how I tried to like this album, although, after at least ten listens, I am afraid that I can only give it a 5. I LOVE "Get Lucky" an I so appreciate a band making a daring, successful attempt at a disco beat in this day and age, and because of that, I wanted to try to like them, since I feel they are so courageous. However, the rest of the album's electronic, robotic, and generallyOMG how I tried to like this album, although, after at least ten listens, I am afraid that I can only give it a 5. I LOVE "Get Lucky" an I so appreciate a band making a daring, successful attempt at a disco beat in this day and age, and because of that, I wanted to try to like them, since I feel they are so courageous. However, the rest of the album's electronic, robotic, and generally lackluster and incoherent feel left me disappointed. Expand
  80. May 15, 2014
    Daft Punk have continued to provide us with mellow beats and good songs. This is an album that I could lose myself in whether on my way home or anywhere else. Thumbs up!
  81. Dec 29, 2013
    Is a perfect album, maybe isn't the typical album that all the fans expected from Daft Punk, but it's still an excellent album.
    Ps: for the simple fact that it is not the same style as the previous album, does not mean it's bad.
  82. May 5, 2014
    Random Access Memories is full of amazing songs, especially contact. The one complaint I do have is that the song Motherboard is really lacking, and not as memorable as the others, such as touch, giorgio, and contact are.
  83. Jan 17, 2014
    Franzosen im Disco-Electro Vibe

Daft Punk – Random Access Memories Vor 21 Jahre bis sie ihre erste Single „The New Wave“ veröffentlicht hatten, waren Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo und Thomas Bangalter nur zwei electronic Musiker aus Frankreich. Durch ihre Instrumental Covers von freien Künstlern haben sie auch in ihrer folgenden Single „Da Funk“ gezeigt, dass sie von House–Techno bis
    Franzosen im Disco-Electro Vibe

Daft Punk – Random Access Memories

Vor 21 Jahre bis sie ihre erste Single „The New Wave“ veröffentlicht hatten, waren Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo und Thomas Bangalter nur zwei electronic Musiker aus Frankreich. Durch ihre Instrumental Covers von freien Künstlern haben sie auch in ihrer folgenden Single „Da Funk“ gezeigt, dass sie von House–Techno bis Funk–Hiphop eigene Klangperspektiven beherrschen. Obwohl sie in den 90'er Jahren sehr gute Verkaufszahlen hatten und auch weltweit Bekannt wurden, hat ein Verlag sie als Daft Punk „Dumme Punk“ bezeichnet.

In 1997 haben Daft Punk ihr erstes Album „Homework“ veröffentlicht und haben mit dem Song „Arround the World“ in den Klassikern der 90'er Jahre ihren Platz eingenommen.

In 2001 sind sie mit dem „Discovery“ Album wieder in die Öffentlichkeit gekommen und haben in den Charts den zweiten Platz erreicht. Danach wurde das Album für den Anime Film „Interstella 5555: The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem“ als Soundtrack verwendet. Im gleichem Jahr wurde ihr live Album „Alive 1997“ veröffentlicht.

Vier Jahre später wurde das neue Album „Human After All“ in sechs Wochen aufgenommen und veröffentlicht, wobei das große Feedback ausblieb. Nach einer Woche der Veröffentlichung des Albums wurde „Musique Vol. 1: 1993-2005“ als „Best of Album“ veröffentlicht.

Ihr zweites live Album „Alive 2007“ wurde in 2007 produziert und veröffentlicht.

Daft Punk hat ihre Zuhörer seit 2007 und jetzt wieder mit der Veröffentlichung im Jahre 2013 durch das neuntes Album „Random Access Memories“ für sich gewonnen. Zwischen 2008-2012 aufgenommene 13 Songs wurden in fünf verschiedene Studios aufgezeichnet. Das Album hat eine Spielzeit von 74 min. 24 sek.. Sieben Songs wurden als Featuring von sieben international bekannten Künstlern, darunter Giorgio Moroder, Julian Casablancas, Pharrell Williams, Nile Rodgers, Paul Williams, Todd Edwards und Panda Bear begleitet. Das Album ist für die Disco-Electronic Genre produziert, und wurde von Columbia Records veröffentlicht. Die verwendeten Musikelemente laufen nicht nur auf Samples wie man es von Electronicmusik gewöhnt ist, stattdessen wurden der Großteil der Instrumente live eingespielt, wobei auf Synthesizer nicht verzichtet wurde. Das von Mick Guzauski abgemischte Album wurde von Bob Ludwig und Chab (Antoine Chabert) gemastert. Für die Songs „Get Lucky“ und „Lose Yourself to Dance“ wurden Musikvideos gedreht und in über 20 Länder im Fernsehen veröffentlicht.

Die Erweiterung der akustischen Instrumente im Album haben ihre Musikrichtung beeinflusst und ein schöne akustisch–elektronische Synthese gebildet. Durch die Featurings und die gut aufeinander abgestimmte Verteilung der Songs wird das Album auch bei langem Zuhören nicht langweilig.
  84. Mar 24, 2014
    Random Access Memories seems to look back on all the artists previous work, and mash it all together, whilst also adding in something far more creative and innovative. Access Memories is indeed a long album, but each and every single track on this album shines out and pulls you straight into the disco-techy void that this touching, exciting, steaming with adventure album in fact is. ThereRandom Access Memories seems to look back on all the artists previous work, and mash it all together, whilst also adding in something far more creative and innovative. Access Memories is indeed a long album, but each and every single track on this album shines out and pulls you straight into the disco-techy void that this touching, exciting, steaming with adventure album in fact is. There won't be another dance album like this for a while, no doubt. Expand
  85. Jan 24, 2014
    This album is extremely diverse and interesting. It collects a whole range of genres and puts them together into Daft Punk's own special form. The resulting album sounds incredible with great tunes and rifts compressing into a great dance album. A must listen to album where all songs in the album should be listened to in order for a great experience where the songs make the whole album aThis album is extremely diverse and interesting. It collects a whole range of genres and puts them together into Daft Punk's own special form. The resulting album sounds incredible with great tunes and rifts compressing into a great dance album. A must listen to album where all songs in the album should be listened to in order for a great experience where the songs make the whole album a thorough masterpiece. Expand
  86. Jan 26, 2014
    A landmark album. It's experimental,cinematic, and plays like a history of dance music. Not to mention that all of the collaborations are nothing short of legendary. It geeks out the music nerds out there, and pleases the tweens with perfect tracks like "Get Lucky" (over 150 Million views on youtube now.)
  87. Jul 26, 2014
    Properly Putting One In The Mood To Dance, Random Access Memories Brings Daft Punk's Signature Noise To The Stage And With It A Possible Uprising In Dance Music.
  88. Feb 11, 2014
    I don't why people now say that they miss the old daft punk.Sure Get Lucky was more of a mainstream type of pop music but I think the whole album together is just a a revision of their albums and to me it's an excellant dance music,electronica and with some songs like Touch and Within It just adds some soul to make a well rounded album and all the people givbing a score of 7 and below wellI don't why people now say that they miss the old daft punk.Sure Get Lucky was more of a mainstream type of pop music but I think the whole album together is just a a revision of their albums and to me it's an excellant dance music,electronica and with some songs like Touch and Within It just adds some soul to make a well rounded album and all the people givbing a score of 7 and below well they're just people who listen to Katy Perry and Justin bieber whole day ........well Prism is okay.......good perhaps. Expand
  89. Feb 12, 2014
    Love Random Access Memories because the record fuse digital instrumentation.
    The tribute to Giorgio Moroder is superb. I've listened the album dozens of times.
  90. Feb 14, 2014
    I never thought it would be possible to listen to such disco-sound-like brand new music in 2013.

Huge thanks to Daft Punk, Nile Rodgers and Pharrel Williams for this amazing and awesome album.
  91. Oct 10, 2014
    There is a reason that they won a Grammy for Best Album of the Year and this might probably be it:

This album is one of the most creative piece of works that I have ever heard, instead of focusing on electronica and dance music, they take a time machine into funk and soul of which they get spot on. Even though I love rock, I have a love for soul and house music and this works beautifully in my opinion.

All the tracks are near-perfection with every beat being incredibly catchy and fun to dance along to. A mix of classic music in the 60's ('Lose Yourself to Dance' and 'Get Lucky') to the dance music that we know today (in the last track of the album 'Contact').

10/10 The most personal Daft Punk album and not only is it a gorgeously wonderful album with nostalgia, but it's rewarded for it's effort with Grammys galore and truly so.
  92. Feb 22, 2014
    A perfect album from robot electronic duo Daft Punk. Better than Discovery, has less repetition. Daft Punk worked together great musicians like Nile Rodgers from Chic, Panda Bear, Julian Casablancas from The Strokes, Giorgio Moroder. RAM makes us feel like we are in 70s.
  93. Feb 28, 2014
    One of the best album of the year do by the bests artists of electro it's good to see french to have succes! but I have something to say for my -2 point. For me this is not realy Daft punk because this to pop.
  94. Mar 4, 2014
    I love the whole album. Our 2 robots associate perfectly many instruments to bring us the best tunes of the year 2013. I imagined that many tracks of this album will belong to the 25th future when the robots appear and gradually replace the human... Taste un cup of cafe while listening this album, so great
  95. Aug 22, 2014
    Gets all a bit bloated sometimes. It is a great CD, the greatest of last year, just flawed. "Touch" should've been a single. And "Lose Yourself to Dance" is mediocre.
  96. Apr 16, 2014
    Mesmo que esse disco não lembre em nada os seus antecessores, ''Random Acess Memories'' é um album que possui muito conteúdo. Com tracks mais comerciais como ''Get Lucky'' e ''Lose Yourself To Dance'', Daft Punk atinge o publico mais popular, mas ao mesmo tempo consegue chamar atenção do publico com gosto mais refinado com faixas que fazem referencia a musicas antigas. Tudo isso sem perderMesmo que esse disco não lembre em nada os seus antecessores, ''Random Acess Memories'' é um album que possui muito conteúdo. Com tracks mais comerciais como ''Get Lucky'' e ''Lose Yourself To Dance'', Daft Punk atinge o publico mais popular, mas ao mesmo tempo consegue chamar atenção do publico com gosto mais refinado com faixas que fazem referencia a musicas antigas. Tudo isso sem perder a magnitude do começo ao fim do disco e mostrando uma inovação da dupla francesa, rendendo ao album com o titulo de um dos melhores de 2013. Expand
  97. Mar 31, 2014
    8 years since their last album (I would not count Tron), the robots finally get their groove back. Literally. From start to finish, Random Access Memories reminds us how great 70's music is to the modern listeners. There's a homage to Giorgio Moroder in there which really brings back the late 70's early 80's disco-electro vibe, the addition of Nile Rodgers, and of course the fabulously8 years since their last album (I would not count Tron), the robots finally get their groove back. Literally. From start to finish, Random Access Memories reminds us how great 70's music is to the modern listeners. There's a homage to Giorgio Moroder in there which really brings back the late 70's early 80's disco-electro vibe, the addition of Nile Rodgers, and of course the fabulously addictive Pharrell-featuring Get Lucky. RAM plays well accordingly. From the first song all the way to the epic ending that begs your mind to start the journey all over again. In fact, when I got the album the first time, I could not stop playing it repeatedly. There are a few drawbacks though such as the fact that some songs sound nearly similar one another. Overall though, a great comeback from the duo and the one of the best albums of 2013. Expand
  98. Nov 4, 2014
    Random Access Memories is in defining the human drive that has made the French robots: real videos, where they themselves appear, batteries live, pianos, less modular synthesizers, orchestras, voices and more real though, its characteristic vocoders. Daft Punk has always been, for better or worse, the ability to reinvent and surprise elements that perhaps the public is not expected.Random Access Memories is in defining the human drive that has made the French robots: real videos, where they themselves appear, batteries live, pianos, less modular synthesizers, orchestras, voices and more real though, its characteristic vocoders. Daft Punk has always been, for better or worse, the ability to reinvent and surprise elements that perhaps the public is not expected. Accustomed to disco albums with simple to turn the party style homeowrk and Discovery, the public was shocked with a job that has different shades: Within and slow ballads like The Game Of Love; flashbacks to the disk 70 with Give Life Back to Musicy in Beyond, in collaboration with the artist Paul Williams; By synthesizers Giorgio Moroder crescendo, a song performed by the Italian artist Giorgio Moroder; presence of performers with great voices in Get Lucky and Lose Yourself To Dance with Pharrell Williams, or Instant Curhs, with voclaista The Storkes, Julian Casabblancas; again a classic sound, and of course the disco sound issues like Contact. Expand
  99. Nov 18, 2014
    Solid album. Giorgio is really good. I don't think i dislike any of the songs although Fragments of Time is kind of weak. Daft Punk should make a remix album of this. There are some good remix albums of RAM out there.

1. Jul 12, 2013
    As a record standing almost entirely on nostalgia, sure, it gives schmaltzy ’70s dance music a fine, not-sacrilegious update and sets it to a pleasant neon glow, but it’s a trip through history that’s almost more educational than immersive.
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    RAM has the immediate appeal of disco, but never overstuffs with candied hooks, even when we want it to.
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    They've wisely chosen to not compete with the younger generation of DJs, and shown the upstarts the roots of dance music. They've also proven that they are not one-trick ponies who can only build beats on samples. They do just as well with a completely different sonic pallette.