8.1

Review this album

1. May 21, 2013
    Random Access Memories is in the simplest of terms a triumph. Despite Daft Punk's robotic visage, every song on the album feels incredibly heartfelt, from the love letter to the Synthesizer that is Giorgio by Moroder, to the laid back and hypnotic Fragments of Time.

Despite having few collaborations prior to this record, Daft Punk clearly know how to get the best out of their new
    recruits. By selectively choosing artists and musicians that they look up to and admire, Daft Punk have managed to easily intertwine their inimitable electronic class with the likes of Nile Rodgers' incredibly catchy guitars, Todd Edwards' smooth cut-ups and Panda Bear's confident indie feel.

From the reviews and opinions I've gathered so far, the album's biggest point of contention seems to be 'Touch' the collaboration with Paul Williams. Whilst definitely not the best track on the album, it's certainly one that grows on you, especially when it hits that magnificent 3:20 mark.

Definitely not an album that should be missed by anybody.
  2. May 21, 2013
    After 3 years of silence, the noise has finally returned. The rightful kings of EDM (Electronic-Dance Music) are back and in full swing with their new album. The tracks ooze through the speakers with such magnificence, you will have to brace yourself to endure the exhilarating experience. The songs intertwine together, tied tightly together with a bow, and handed to you to open and enjoy. I must say that Daft Punk may have lost some of their electronic side in the transition period, but those are minor details. It seems as if comparing Human After All with Random Access Memories is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they're both fruits, but they're nothing alike.

Even from the beginning, Daft Punk make their message clear. They are trying to "Give Life Back To Music". They, unlike all pop music today, have emotion. They have rhythm and soul. So, maybe these cold, metallic robots do have hearts after all. They seem to show love and want to spread it with their music. The feel good tracks such as "Get Lucky" and "Lose Yourself To Dance" get their audience into a hypnotic state of being, mesmerized by the entrancing beats. One song in particular caught my attention. The track "The Game of Love" is a heart-wrenching masterpiece with a similar feel to "Something About Us" from Discovery. This lyrics, despite being distorted by a robotic voice, express a deep lamentation and exclamation of love.

The first half of the album is flawless. The songs are smooth and errorless. When you slowly transition into the second half, it seems as though the songs become more ambient. They would be perfect if they were played in the background of a party, but not as frontline tracks. I'm not saying that they are bad tracks, but they lack the emotion and funkiness that is set-up in the first half. However, I am slightly disappointed with "Doin' It Right". This track features the genius vocalist/drummer Noah Lennox (or better known as Panda Bear). He is a member of one of my favourite bands, Animal Collective, and has made a splash in the electronic spectrum. I figured that the rhythm behind Animal Collective would create a heavenly collaboration with two electronic gods. I was sadly mistaken when I heard the lack-lustre track. It's not all bad, but I really expected something with a little more "oomph".

Despite a few minor setbacks, Daft Punk have created one of the most enjoyable albums this year and continue to surprise us with new tricks up their sleeves.
  3. May 30, 2013
    Random Access Memories is a refreshing return of french duo Daft Punk that is as delightfully groovy as it is brilliant. It does unfortunately have some boring and self-indulgent moments and some overlong tracks and it may even upset some fans with the change of tone, but tracks like "Get Lucky", "Touch", "Giorgio by Moroder" and "Contact" help boost the album into great territories...and they do so. This album may not be as good as Discovery, but it is a fine return of the beloved french duo and I hope they continue to do more creative music in the future. Expand
  4. May 31, 2013
    This is the case of the hype much, deliver tush. This album may be different but it doesn't mean it's ground-breaking or amazing. In these days of generic pop tracks, everyone jumps at sounds by famous musicians which do not sound generic but are not necessarily good, and exaggerate their qualities. Don't get me wrong, the melodies are not bad or anything, they just aren't something people would 'lose themselves to dance' to. The tracks are too dull to be dance records and not bright enough to be pop. Too fast to be r&b/soul and too tame to be rock. This album just stands in-between and reaches for nothing. I honestly believe that Daft Punk of all people could have found some better ground to build an album after more than 8 years. I knew from the start that critics would hype and acclaim this album just because it is not your usual Rihanna or Pitbull album, but at the same time we gotta ask ourselves: Is different necessarily good? What makes RAM a good album? Is it because it does not sound the same as what's on the radio or because it actually gets you moving irresistibly just like 'One More Time' did? If the answer to the latter is 'no' then this album can be considered mediocre. Expand
  5. May 22, 2013
    One cannot expect anything stronger this year. To dance and to contemplate. A bombastic return of disco gods. Panda Bear and Moroder as cherries on top of a pie are tasteful. Yummy.
  6. May 21, 2013
    Random Access Memories is certainly surprising. Daft Punk have broken my expectatives, i expect something different but the results are very much better. Is a personal work, a headphones album, with great coherence, a strict sense of narrative in some songs of the album. Is great to hear the way that electronic music converts in an album with a several symphony arrangements. I remember 70's albums of Pink Floyd, Queen, works with a common line, telling us a musical story. Is my favourite since Discovery, and Giorgio By Moroder is a little master piece, and Touch a curiously and complex work that will divide listeners. You may not dance, but if you have sensitivity, you'll feel and you can't stop listening. Expand
  7. May 21, 2013
    This album is every bit new and different and yet uniquely and 100% Daft Punk.

A first play through introduces you to a whole new sound. A second play through will get you into the groove. By the third play through you're picking up the details, flourishes and Daft Punkisms that have informed every single album they've made to date. It's dance, it's progressive, it's electronic, it's
    disco, it's brilliant.

Don't miss this album.
  8. May 21, 2013
    I knew this album would be brilliant. I knew the moment the 90-minute teaser was shown at Coachella. I knew the moment Pharrell appeared in an interview for the album and described the band as “gracious robots” whose purpose is to enhance the lives of those on “this oblong rock that we call home.” Despite the veritable blitzkrieg of marketing, ads, press, interviews, teasers and snippets, no one seemed to get sick of seeing the masked heads of Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo plastered on walls all around the world.

Gone are the grinding drums and the grating bursts of synth. In their place are lush strings and astonishingly delicate live drumming. The robot voices have been softened to sound less alien, and more alienated. It’s all tied up by the hyperkinetic guitar work of Nile Rogers, the legend behind “We Are Family,” “Freak Out,” and “Let’s Dance.” This album is funky, groovy, soulful, and has a distinctive human touch. This isn’t music you do the robot to; the ‘robo-boogie’ Flight of the Conchords sing about in “The Humans Are Dead” is more appropriate.

The album’s opening track is “Give Life Back To Music,” a beautiful four minutes of muted guitars. From the outset, it’s clear that Daft Punk are using real musicians–instead of working from technology as they did before, they recruited some of the best session musicians in LA, New York, Paris and London to really bring their music to life. The song’s title is in keeping with Thomas Bangalter (the silver-masked robot)’s statement regarding the band’s shift away from computers: "In a computer, everything is recallable all the time, but life is a succession of events that only happen once,” he proclaimed. This song (and indeed, the rest of the album) has warmth and human fallibility that is conspicuously absent from standard electronic music.

The best songs on the album are the ones that most subvert our expectations of Daft Punk. “Giorgio by Moroder” is a freak-out of synths and drumming so intricate that it wouldn’t be out of place on a free jazz album. Flea-esque bass solos are thrown in for good measure, alongside some scratching that furthers the song’s ‘live’ feel. Passages of spoken word outlining the history of disco (during which the whole track slows down and adopts a hushed tone) are interspersed with this frenetic backing track. Mesmerising.

“Instant Crush” features Julian Casablancas from The Strokes, and sounds like what the Strokes’ latest album could’ve sounded like if the rest of the band didn’t hate the 70s so much. Casablancas is predictably mournful but his voice is pitch-shifted upwards and sounds as though it has been pieced back together slightly out of sequence, lending the song a jagged, disjointed sound that perfectly suits its mood.

The two tracks featuring Pharrell are brilliant. “Lose Yourself To Dance” has a beat that’ll see your toes tapping and shoulders jerking as you listen to it on the bus, and the ubiquitous “Get Lucky” is a perfect synthesis of every classic disco song ever made. It’s on these two songs that Nile Rogers’ pure funk shines through. “Doin’ It Right” featuring Panda Bear (from Animal Collective) is infectious: the song starts with the robots’ voices, slowly adding a tapping cymbal, followed by the snare and bass drums. It’s the only song that feels truly processed.

The main criticism of ‘Random Access Memories’ seems to be that Daft Punk has not made a Daft Punk album. Some hard-core fans long for the harsher electronica of the duo’s earlier work, and don’t really like the way we can actually sing along to these songs. There’s no denying that songs like “Da Funk,” “Around The World,” and “Harder Better Faster Stronger” were beautiful. They had a coarse, sparse, circular quality but in my opinion, grew tiresome after a few listens. “Random Access Memories” is a more conventional album of ‘normal’ songs. While it’s going to turn off some fans, it’s definitely going to allow the duo to win a new audience–an audience that I’m proudly part of. Plain and simple, Daft Punk have made a brilliant album. It is a piece of art that should be treasured, listened to repeatedly, remixed and covered by every bedroom virtuoso in the world.
  9. May 29, 2013
    Personally I hate Daft Punks old stuff but, this album is utter brilliance. It comes to us at a time when the album is a dying art and singles seems to be dominating the industry. And this album may be the album to change that! Random Access Memories is one of the few albums I have listened to that I could not supplement from you HAVE to listen to it front to back and you will go out of your way to. In conclusion BUY THIS ALBUM! Expand
  10. May 24, 2013
    I do not think anyone was expecting what Daft Punk has delivered with Random Access Memories, and I say that as a positive thing. With R.A.M., Daft Punk has managed to give us a taste of the future while re-visiting (versus regurgitating) sounds from the past, from disco-funk of Chic to the space rock sounds of Steve Miller Band.

For starters, "Give Life Back to Music" is one of the
    best album openers I've heard in recent years; a perfectly-crafted thesis statement that gets the body moving. "Get Lucky", shines even more brightly here than as a single. It is perfectly-placed in the album, and the track's extended running time gives it more room to breathe; this song will remain a classic. "Doin' It Right" is another standout track; a down tempo pop jam that is given a melancholic edge with the boyish vocals of Panda Bear, and it is perfectly suited for long summer drives with the windows down. The instrumental track "Motherboard" is also wonderful; its wide-eyed beauty hits like a ray of light beamed from space.

But to say this album is a perfect 10 would be untrue. There are songs here that are definitely flawed, despite their meticulous production and admirable ambition. The song "Touch" begins strongly as a borderline-terrifying space rock tune with sounds that hearken back to the Cars track "Moving in Stereo". But "Touch" manages to morph into an awkward Broadway show tune; while it is not bad per-se, it is certainly all over the place, and it is difficult to get past Paul Williams' mismatched vocals. And while Todd Edwards being brought back for another collaboration was great, "Fragments of Time" is almost too cheesy to consume, and Edwards' singing abilities do not show here like they did in "Face to Face".

But despite R.A.M.'s flaws, it is still an excellent (and occasionally great) album. In an age where singles are purchased and entire albums are ignored, R.A.M. is a work that should be experienced from beginning to end, with the best headphones you can find.
  11. May 22, 2013
    I was waiting for their album since 2007,the wait is over and i couldn't be more happy by the results.Very,very different from all the previous album,with more lyrics and less actual EDM in it,but as others pointed out this could be considered a prequel to all the others album.
  12. May 25, 2013
    Daft Punk effortlessly opt for a more organic instrumental sound, leaving the synthesizers, for the most part, out of it. This is by far the best thing the robots could've done. To show that they can create meaningful and ambitious music using actual instruments not only proves that they are legendary, but still the pioneers of dance music. The 70's, 80's, disco, and new wave influences flourish throughout the whole record. Each collaboration brings life into the album, but it is Daft Punk who shine the most. No one track are the same, in fact every track holds their own and fit perfectly in this album.

All In All, Random Access Memories is the album we deserve after the disappointingly awful Human After All. Daft Punk have finally crafted a huge record, one that will stand the test of time. A modern classic. A-
  13. May 21, 2013
    Not the album you would expect, but that's part of what makes it great. It covers new ground and catches you unsuspecting for a sucker punch of the old mixed the new. If you're coming into this strictly wanting the electronic music you've come to love from Daft Punk, you're not going to have a good time, but if you're open to new possibilities you're going to love what you hear.

On a
    side note, some people complain about the beginning to Giorgio by Moroder because there is a considerable bit of talking, but this is just part of the groove. It's not an interview as much as another instrument to add atmosphere.

The 10 I gave this album is not hyperbole. It is quite simply at a level of excellence that truly deserves a perfect score.
  14. May 21, 2013
    The hype this album had did not disappoint me. It was totally worth the wait. With epic pop songs like "Get Lucky" and "Instant Crush", this perfectly crafted masterpiece takes you to beautiful deep moments with "Within" and makes you want to shake your body with "Lose Yourself to Dance". "Give Life Back to Music" works as the perfect opener for this album and "Contact"... Guess what? The perfect ending. A huge epic ending.
    "Giorgio by Moroder" is a smart lengthy track that takes you into a trip inside Giorgio's musical life and, along with "Touch", is diverse and full of changes. "Fragments of Time" completes the album with its wonderful smooth ballad that leads us to "Doin' It Right", an excellent contribution with Panda Bear. This is one of those rare masterpieces that deserve the highest score possible. All the contributions here are magical: Pharrell Williams (tracks 6 and 8), Julian Casablancas (track 5) and Chilly Gonzales (track 4), just to name a few.
    Right away, from the first listen, you can tell that lots of time, dedication and love for music were put into this record. And the result... Well. let the numbers speak for itself.
  15. May 23, 2013
    I am happy to say that this album is pure gold, as if king Midas himself touched Daft Punk's synthesizers. This is an album, aimed at an audience with more developed tastes, and not for those expecting "Around the World" #2 or "One more time" one more time. They did really stand out as the geniuses they are. The day Daft Punk splits up is the day music dies, but until then, im hoping they do release many albums after this. Expand
  16. May 21, 2013
    After a long wait, it's finally here, and it was WORTH it! Daft Punk have succeeded in making a fun, cool, and sometimes beautiful album that is going to be entertaining me for a long time to come. It is a true "album", with motifs, progression and an intro and outro. This is not just an album of singles and filler. Every track works and is enjoyable, but not always for the same reason. The songs on Random Access Memories are diverse and distinct, each being unique in it's own way. Some are fun like "instant crush", some are epic like "touch", and some are beautiful like "within". All the collaborating artists are used well, never overstay their welcome, and do their damnedest to make this album a great listen. That really sums up the album as a whole, everyone working hard to make this album something truly great, and I'd say they succeeded. Expand
  17. Jun 2, 2013
    One (if not) the most anticipated album release of the year, the duo awoken from their circuital slumber to once again shake the EDM scene. From "Give Life Back to Music" to "Contact", Guy-Man and Thomas dazzled our ears with the disco vibed LP. In their fourth album, many would question the LP stance as an electro music, but all (or most) would inclined that RAM is the best album of 2013 so far.
  18. May 22, 2013
    Finally, Daft Punk has made him do. It was impossible to have even more excitement to hear his new material after so long in silence.
    It is impossible for any human being on this planet does not know that his new album, Random Access Memories. In this music are more organic personality, something that computers do not give them. The bases of disco can be repeated again and again, as in
    Get Lucky, as if they were samples. The funny thing is that it is the most anticipated album of recent times but is full of songs that you would expect to hear anything from the discography of Daft Punk. Each song has its own personality that resembles the previous or the next. The album will surprise you from the beginning, but once you get listening to it, does get you, maybe they disagree with me, but I do notice a big difference in your sound and now that his previous work. Metamúsica is a tribute to the music of the 70s and early 80s. We discovered other Daft Punk, not what we expected, we knew not, but equally amazing and transgressors. I know I said the album Bring Me The Horizon, "Sempiternal" was the album of the year, but Daft Punk achievement far surpass that album.
    so for now, this is the album of the year.
  19. Aug 13, 2013
    [9.0] It definitely isn't their most energetic music, but it's possibly their best album. Daft Punk somehow manages to make music from multiple decades in the past, yet still original, and still Daft Punk. This album represents the best of pop music.
  20. May 21, 2013
    Daft Punk were in danger of becoming a musical norm, the dowdy ordinary, the discarded gold standard, a flaking blueprint packed away in the archives, never to be consulted again. Until they create an album like Random Access Memories, possibly the world’s most misunderstood album ever recorded.

RAM is a bold and unashamedly gushing love letter to disco. Whether this is good or bad
    thing, time and repeat listens will decide.

A lot of critique of the album during the initial frenzied clamour to define or, more often than not, to deride Daft Punk’s intentions here, were about the sound of RAM it doesn’t sound like a real Daft Punk album, more akin to being labelled as a derivative disco record. Some unjustly comparisons went as far as likening it to a collection of lost Steely Dan demos and a bad Michael McDonald album. Maybe I’m in the minority here, but I like Steely Dan and Michael McDonald, I wish there were more records like them, unapologetic fluffy pop-jazz-funk hybrids with great competent live instrumentation that’s not always showy, but full of interesting ideas. RAM is an album that fits that description.

Giorgio By Moroder featuring, naturally, Giorgio Moroder on spoken word, reminiscing on the origins of his long musical career and overall aesthetic philosophy, while around it, like faithful disciples, Daft Punk build a little epic 9-minute sonata that segues from pulsing synth modulations into dinner party disco funk, then, unexpectedly, a sharp right turn into triumphant orchestration for an underdog movie and then straight down into a solid bass, drum and guitar stadium sized jam anthem, all the while Uncle Giorgio explaining his musical raison d'être, and indeed the overall message of Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories:

“…once you free your mind about the concept of harmony and of music being correct, you can do whatever you want…nobody told me what to do, there was no preconception…”

*edited from full review available at bizarrojerri.wordpress.com
  21. May 21, 2013
    This album is good, yeah if you’re some kind of Daft Punk purist you’re going to have some issues, Its ok tho, there’s some stuff you’ll like. For everyone else, its a rich rewarding listen. A funky guitar laden, synthesizer based ode to music and love. It’s slow at times, but that pace allows you to enjoy the freedom with which the band experiments with sounds and textures. This album isn’t revolutionary, Daft Punk no longer is trying to establish a sound. This is just them doing what they do best. Expand
  22. May 24, 2013
    If discovery is the album of the first decade of the XXI century, Random Access Memories is the album of the 2010's. Daft Punk's choice of using real drums is very effective and you can hear it. With this album they succeded in mixing progressive rock (see the intro in Touch), Jazz (see the electric piano medley in Giorgio by Moroder) electropop and of course dance togheter. They found a synthesis between all this genres and their style with their great autotune samples (get lucky, lose yourself to dance). Expand
  23. May 21, 2013
    A very good album. I really was disappointed with the tron legacy soundtrack, but throughout all the album, you realize that they are the best! oh yes
  24. May 25, 2013
    Beautifully made, the album is definitely made to listen in one straight go, not individually, something that has left music nowadays. Would definitely recommend to anyone who is open to new things from Daft Punk, not just a new EDM album, since it isnt made to be one.
  25. May 28, 2013
    At first, I wasn't sure about this album, I thought it was a lil' bit borin' comparin' it to their previous efforts, which were made for dance clubs and ecstasy. But I just decided to give it a chance due to the amount of hype it's receiving from the music press around the world, and man, this is truly a GREAT piece of work and art. Just forget about their previous sound, and come to this album with new ears, and you'll find that they finally became "human after all", and showed us that EDM producers can be REAL talented and gifted musicians, using real instruments and real musicians working hard in a real professional studio. After 3 listens I was really diggin' it. Just give it a chance and it'll reward you, and it'll grow and grow on you. Ok, it's not an album made for nightclubs and ecstasy, but it's a nice one to listen to during a sunset in front of a beach, drinkin' some good coctails and a big joint before the big "party hard" thing comes later in the midnight. Expand
  26. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Es lo mejor des de hace mucho tiempo, se apegan a sus orígenes con este nuevo proyecto musical. Con muchas expectativas este nuevo disco sali de entre las sombras para sorprendernos a propios y extraños. Aunque a muchos no les ha gustado ya que esperaban escuchar algo con lo que están familiarizados. En fin este disco llego para quedarse y romper records Expand
  27. Jun 30, 2013
    The album is perfect in every way. Since the first time I've heard it, I was hooked. The disco electronic beats are amazing. At first, I was doubtful. I haven't thought Daft Punk would deliver such an amazing album. You should definitely listen to this.
  28. May 25, 2013
    I can't believe anyone had any kind of concrete expectations for this album. Daft Punk are next-level ARTISTS and people on their level don't make the same album twice in a row. I'm not a die-hard Daft Punk fan but I have been a fan since the late-90s, and I'm personally glad they took things in a different direction instead of just rehashing "One More Time" or "Robot Rock" just to please everyone. The production quality on this album is top-notch and it's a complete work that's meant to be listened to start to finish.

Some of the negative reviews here who admit to not even listening to the whole album are a joke. At least give the whole thing a fair amount of time before judging it. It still has the familiar Daft Punk vocals on a lot of it so they didn't COMPLETELY abandon their sound. They did a fantastic job on this album and I'm just surprised so many people are dismissing it because it's not as immediately catchy as previous albums. There are several danceable songs in here, just because it's not 13 epic bangers in a row doesn't mean they did a bad job here. They wanted to make an ALBUM and not a collection of singles and I commend them for it.
  29. Jun 19, 2013
    The french duo return after sitting back for seven years(not counting their score work for TRON: Legacy.) And they are back with a vengeance. With Random Access Memories, Daft Punk continues to show why they are the face of House music.
  30. May 23, 2013
    This isn't what i expected. But in a good way. It hooked me in with it's nostalgic, yet modern feel. It's a look back, but very today. There are a couple slight misses, but as a whole, it is quite the sublime record. Looking for a hi-energy non stop all out dance record? This isn't it. Looking for a brilliant, retro-mod ride? Then pick this up.

1. Jul 12, 2013
    As a record standing almost entirely on nostalgia, sure, it gives schmaltzy ’70s dance music a fine, not-sacrilegious update and sets it to a pleasant neon glow, but it’s a trip through history that’s almost more educational than immersive.
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    RAM has the immediate appeal of disco, but never overstuffs with candied hooks, even when we want it to.
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    They've wisely chosen to not compete with the younger generation of DJs, and shown the upstarts the roots of dance music. They've also proven that they are not one-trick ponies who can only build beats on samples. They do just as well with a completely different sonic pallette.