8.1

Review this album

1. May 21, 2013
    Random Access Memories is in the simplest of terms a triumph. Despite Daft Punk's robotic visage, every song on the album feels incredibly heartfelt, from the love letter to the Synthesizer that is Giorgio by Moroder, to the laid back and hypnotic Fragments of Time.

Despite having few collaborations prior to this record, Daft Punk clearly know how to get the best out of their new recruits. By selectively choosing artists and musicians that they look up to and admire, Daft Punk have managed to easily intertwine their inimitable electronic class with the likes of Nile Rodgers' incredibly catchy guitars, Todd Edwards' smooth cut-ups and Panda Bear's confident indie feel.

From the reviews and opinions I've gathered so far, the album's biggest point of contention seems to be 'Touch' the collaboration with Paul Williams. Whilst definitely not the best track on the album, it's certainly one that grows on you, especially when it hits that magnificent 3:20 mark.

Definitely not an album that should be missed by anybody.
  2. May 21, 2013
    After 3 years of silence, the noise has finally returned. The rightful kings of EDM (Electronic-Dance Music) are back and in full swing with their new album. The tracks ooze through the speakers with such magnificence, you will have to brace yourself to endure the exhilarating experience. The songs intertwine together, tied tightly together with a bow, and handed to you to open and enjoy.After 3 years of silence, the noise has finally returned. The rightful kings of EDM (Electronic-Dance Music) are back and in full swing with their new album. The tracks ooze through the speakers with such magnificence, you will have to brace yourself to endure the exhilarating experience. The songs intertwine together, tied tightly together with a bow, and handed to you to open and enjoy. I must say that Daft Punk may have lost some of their electronic side in the transition period, but those are minor details. It seems as if comparing Human After All with Random Access Memories is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they're both fruits, but they're nothing alike.

Even from the beginning, Daft Punk make their message clear. They are trying to "Give Life Back To Music". They, unlike all pop music today, have emotion. They have rhythm and soul. So, maybe these cold, metallic robots do have hearts after all. They seem to show love and want to spread it with their music. The feel good tracks such as "Get Lucky" and "Lose Yourself To Dance" get their audience into a hypnotic state of being, mesmerized by the entrancing beats. One song in particular caught my attention. The track "The Game of Love" is a heart-wrenching masterpiece with a similar feel to "Something About Us" from Discovery. This lyrics, despite being distorted by a robotic voice, express a deep lamentation and exclamation of love.

The first half of the album is flawless. The songs are smooth and errorless. When you slowly transition into the second half, it seems as though the songs become more ambient. They would be perfect if they were played in the background of a party, but not as frontline tracks. I'm not saying that they are bad tracks, but they lack the emotion and funkiness that is set-up in the first half. However, I am slightly disappointed with "Doin' It Right". This track features the genius vocalist/drummer Noah Lennox (or better known as Panda Bear). He is a member of one of my favourite bands, Animal Collective, and has made a splash in the electronic spectrum. I figured that the rhythm behind Animal Collective would create a heavenly collaboration with two electronic gods. I was sadly mistaken when I heard the lack-lustre track. It's not all bad, but I really expected something with a little more "oomph".

Despite a few minor setbacks, Daft Punk have created one of the most enjoyable albums this year and continue to surprise us with new tricks up their sleeves.
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    Para mi Random Acces Memories es el mejor album de este año, con grandes canciones, una gran producción hacen que este album sea un deleite para nuestros oídos.
  4. Aug 2, 2013
    I'm a HUGE Daft Punk fan and finally the new album is out, and it's amazing. But it's not perfect, and here is why. There are 3 kind of Daft Punk songs on the album: commercial 'singles' (Get Lucky, Lose Yourself to Dance, Give Life Back to Music & Fragments of Time), mellow 'slow' songs (Game of Love, Within, Beyond & Horizon) and general Daft Punk songs (the remaining 6 songs). NaturallyI'm a HUGE Daft Punk fan and finally the new album is out, and it's amazing. But it's not perfect, and here is why. There are 3 kind of Daft Punk songs on the album: commercial 'singles' (Get Lucky, Lose Yourself to Dance, Give Life Back to Music & Fragments of Time), mellow 'slow' songs (Game of Love, Within, Beyond & Horizon) and general Daft Punk songs (the remaining 6 songs). Naturally most people like the commercial songs the most whereas die-hard fans want that electronic Daft-sound.

There is something for everyone on this album and you can't ignore the fact that it's an amazing achievement to make an 'electronic' album with hundreds of live intstruments. You can hear the quality of this 5 year in the making album. A bit less 'mellow' and 'commercial' songs and more pure Daft sound and it would be a 10/10 from me. Discovery has the perfect balance and still is their best album.
  5. Aug 27, 2013
    Regardless of your stance over Daft Punk’s previous albums, I can hardly think of anyone not liking Random Access Memories. The French duo decided to leave their typical electronic sound and create a more nostalgic and funky vibe that’s also heavier on vocals. Featuring a lot of surprising feature guests (not always in the singing business, of course) such as The Strokes’ JulianRegardless of your stance over Daft Punk’s previous albums, I can hardly think of anyone not liking Random Access Memories. The French duo decided to leave their typical electronic sound and create a more nostalgic and funky vibe that’s also heavier on vocals. Featuring a lot of surprising feature guests (not always in the singing business, of course) such as The Strokes’ Julian Casablancas or septuagenarian singer-songwriter Paul Williams, their fourth album is actually their best, in my opinion. Discovery was amazing, but their newest record just touches so much more layers and combines a multitude of different styles in 13 unique tracks. From sad love songs like “Within” or “Instant Love” over disco gems as “Get Lucky” or “Doin’ It Right” to the unforgettable epics “Touch” and “Giorgio By Moroder”, Random Access Memories presents everything that makes electronic dance music such a great genre. Expand
  6. Sep 26, 2013
    Greatest album out there right now. Overwhelming amount of live-sound, collaborations with Paul Williams, Neil Rodgers and legendary Giorgio Moroder, who is used very brilliantly in this feature. I gotto say, I was surprised by Pharrell Williams, who has never struck me as a powerful artist, but in picked singles he was the best choice over any other. Funk and Disco are the main focus andGreatest album out there right now. Overwhelming amount of live-sound, collaborations with Paul Williams, Neil Rodgers and legendary Giorgio Moroder, who is used very brilliantly in this feature. I gotto say, I was surprised by Pharrell Williams, who has never struck me as a powerful artist, but in picked singles he was the best choice over any other. Funk and Disco are the main focus and Daft Punks usual is kept only to add to the atmosphere. It`s a quality album, that has no technical flaws and disappoitments. This album will be timeless. Expand
  7. Jun 4, 2013
    If you consider yourself a bassist professional, aspiring, or the 11 year old in 6th grade jazz band brave enough to try learn EVERY note of this album. Each song is lovingly crafted, and the bass lines are tailored perfectly for each tune. Don't worry about the "70s disco" thing, or what this could be categorized as; this is EXACTLY what we should be studying as musicians and loversIf you consider yourself a bassist professional, aspiring, or the 11 year old in 6th grade jazz band brave enough to try learn EVERY note of this album. Each song is lovingly crafted, and the bass lines are tailored perfectly for each tune. Don't worry about the "70s disco" thing, or what this could be categorized as; this is EXACTLY what we should be studying as musicians and lovers of music. I'm thrilled that DP would give us a gift this lovingly constructed, and just trust that we would pay if we loved it. I'm buying my hard copy tomorrow! Expand
  8. Jun 17, 2013
    Going back to the fast to make musical progressions in the future! I think Daft Punk really struck gold with this record: It's replay value is off the charts, it's catchy as hell, and gives off an authentic throwback vibe. Every song Great.
  9. Oct 13, 2013
    Random Access Memories can easily be described as Daft Punk's finest material to date and one of the most memorable moments of 2013. The lead single, "Get Lucky", was a summer smash and could be considered a contender for being one of the finest pop songs of the 2010s thus far. Although its 70s disco and funk throwbacks might not charm all audiences, it's certainly a welcoming album toRandom Access Memories can easily be described as Daft Punk's finest material to date and one of the most memorable moments of 2013. The lead single, "Get Lucky", was a summer smash and could be considered a contender for being one of the finest pop songs of the 2010s thus far. Although its 70s disco and funk throwbacks might not charm all audiences, it's certainly a welcoming album to anyone even remotely interested in escaping the electro craze that's done nothing but dominate the top 40 in recent years. The vocoders have since become their signature sound, but are more than welcoming in the opening four tracks "Give Life Back to Music", "The Game of Love", and the 'robo-gloom' ballad "Within", which both alienate younger audiences whilst still remaining the listeners in their comfort zone. "Giorgio by Moroder" magnificently narrates listeners through the process of becoming a musician whilst "Instant Crush", featuring The Strokes' lead singer Julian Casablancas, somehow manages to channel the same melody found in the Christmas classic "Last Christmas" and could easily make it into the soundtracks of the duo's punk fans. "Doin' It Right" channels late-70s synthpop and sends euphoric chills into listeners through its mesmerizing use of the vocoder and Panda Bear's effortless vocals. Overall, the album may be overhyped in the media and some may not fall for its worldwide charm, but RAM honestly earns all the hype its given and has the charm to make its way into about every listener's iTunes. The hiatus may have seemingly lasted forever, but it was damn sure worth the wait. Expand
  10. Jul 7, 2013
    This has to be Daft Punk's best overall composition as an album and the one I've enjoyed listening to the most (beating out my other favorites Discovery and the Tron Legacy Soundtrack). The best way to listen to this album is in it's entirety. You can listen to songs by apart from listening to the whole album but I think the album is meant to be listened to at once. I have had manyThis has to be Daft Punk's best overall composition as an album and the one I've enjoyed listening to the most (beating out my other favorites Discovery and the Tron Legacy Soundtrack). The best way to listen to this album is in it's entirety. You can listen to songs by apart from listening to the whole album but I think the album is meant to be listened to at once. I have had many listening parties of this album with friends and it never disappoints. Great album to listen to by the pool as well. It still sounds like Daft Punk but breathes new life into their electronic image and elevates their music at the same time. Expand
  11. Jul 25, 2013
    Their magnum opus. Lush, interwoven sounds that make me feel really good. An artist that actually gives a damn about recording an album, not just a single.
  12. Sep 18, 2013
    Daft Punk's greatest effort to date. Yes, you heard me correctly-- it's better than both Discovery and Alive 2007. It isn't even really close, either.
  13. Jul 2, 2014
    This album blew me away but I was wasn't expecting to hear this new wave of Daft Punk music. The new Daft Punk has now incorporated more radio friendly songs and excellent disco-tech that will keep you grooving into the wee hours of the night. Random Access Memories is an excellent album that surprised many loyal Daft Punk fans. Some will be turned off by the new style Daft Punk hasThis album blew me away but I was wasn't expecting to hear this new wave of Daft Punk music. The new Daft Punk has now incorporated more radio friendly songs and excellent disco-tech that will keep you grooving into the wee hours of the night. Random Access Memories is an excellent album that surprised many loyal Daft Punk fans. Some will be turned off by the new style Daft Punk has incorporated but I for one am in awe by how groovy and slick this album actually turned out being. Expand
  14. May 30, 2013
    Random Access Memories is a refreshing return of french duo Daft Punk that is as delightfully groovy as it is brilliant. It does unfortunately have some boring and self-indulgent moments and some overlong tracks and it may even upset some fans with the change of tone, but tracks like "Get Lucky", "Touch", "Giorgio by Moroder" and "Contact" help boost the album into great territories...andRandom Access Memories is a refreshing return of french duo Daft Punk that is as delightfully groovy as it is brilliant. It does unfortunately have some boring and self-indulgent moments and some overlong tracks and it may even upset some fans with the change of tone, but tracks like "Get Lucky", "Touch", "Giorgio by Moroder" and "Contact" help boost the album into great territories...and they do so. This album may not be as good as Discovery, but it is a fine return of the beloved french duo and I hope they continue to do more creative music in the future. Expand
  15. Jun 2, 2013
    One (if not) the most anticipated album release of the year, the duo awoken from their circuital slumber to once again shake the EDM scene. From "Give Life Back to Music" to "Contact", Guy-Man and Thomas dazzled our ears with the disco vibed LP. In their fourth album, many would question the LP stance as an electro music, but all (or most) would inclined that RAM is the best album of 2013 so far.
  16. Aug 13, 2013
    [9.0] It definitely isn't their most energetic music, but it's possibly their best album. Daft Punk somehow manages to make music from multiple decades in the past, yet still original, and still Daft Punk. This album represents the best of pop music.
  17. May 28, 2013
    At first, I wasn't sure about this album, I thought it was a lil' bit borin' comparin' it to their previous efforts, which were made for dance clubs and ecstasy. But I just decided to give it a chance due to the amount of hype it's receiving from the music press around the world, and man, this is truly a GREAT piece of work and art. Just forget about their previous sound, and come to thisAt first, I wasn't sure about this album, I thought it was a lil' bit borin' comparin' it to their previous efforts, which were made for dance clubs and ecstasy. But I just decided to give it a chance due to the amount of hype it's receiving from the music press around the world, and man, this is truly a GREAT piece of work and art. Just forget about their previous sound, and come to this album with new ears, and you'll find that they finally became "human after all", and showed us that EDM producers can be REAL talented and gifted musicians, using real instruments and real musicians working hard in a real professional studio. After 3 listens I was really diggin' it. Just give it a chance and it'll reward you, and it'll grow and grow on you. Ok, it's not an album made for nightclubs and ecstasy, but it's a nice one to listen to during a sunset in front of a beach, drinkin' some good coctails and a big joint before the big "party hard" thing comes later in the midnight. Expand
  18. Jun 19, 2013
    The french duo return after sitting back for seven years(not counting their score work for TRON: Legacy.) And they are back with a vengeance. With Random Access Memories, Daft Punk continues to show why they are the face of House music.
  19. j30
    Aug 19, 2013
    It is hard to believe that Daft Punk's last official album came out 8 years ago (2005's Human After All) and they haven't lost a beat. With everyone from Britney Spears to Lady Gaga going to more of an electronic sound in their music, Daft Punk's record couldn't have come at a better time. They decided to record most of the album with real instruments with the help of the excellentIt is hard to believe that Daft Punk's last official album came out 8 years ago (2005's Human After All) and they haven't lost a beat. With everyone from Britney Spears to Lady Gaga going to more of an electronic sound in their music, Daft Punk's record couldn't have come at a better time. They decided to record most of the album with real instruments with the help of the excellent guitarist Niles Rogers. EDM rarely challenges their listeners as much Daft Punk's RAM does, and is rarely as rewarding. Expand
  20. Jun 13, 2013
    Great album! Every song on this album is just amazing. I wasn't much of a daft punk fan before this album.
    But now I am! Brilliant Album!

Lose yourself to dance
  21. Jul 2, 2013
    This is just an excellent example of how music and conceptual albums should be done. And that is exactly why the release started with Give Life Back to Music.
  22. Jul 24, 2013
    This a great album which is different to other albums by daft punk which is what makes their music stand out.
    The quality of the whole album with very high details shows up and gives it its sense of mood.
  23. May 31, 2013
    All that can be said of disco and funk music in daft punk is clearly in this album. full of innovative rhythms and giving new life to the music that we have lost in these last year, these guys came back with their best album in years. personally, I think is better than discovery although not as good as Homework but still it's such a classic album for new generations who want music with a 70s air.
  24. May 30, 2013
    Random Access Memories is the best album of the year so far. This could be the album that really brings the electronic genre to mainstream. Every track on the album has great production behind it, and there's even some pretty good vocals and lyrics on the album.
  25. Aug 21, 2013
    Daft Punk really is raising the bar with this LP. It has everything: pop classics, experimental odysseys, slow jams, deep tellings of introspection, and everything in between. The dynamic and emotional variety on this album is remarkable. It sounds nostalgic but feels forward-thinking. Thomas and Guy-Man made the perfect record they could have possibly made at this point in their career,Daft Punk really is raising the bar with this LP. It has everything: pop classics, experimental odysseys, slow jams, deep tellings of introspection, and everything in between. The dynamic and emotional variety on this album is remarkable. It sounds nostalgic but feels forward-thinking. Thomas and Guy-Man made the perfect record they could have possibly made at this point in their career, especially considering the condition of electronic music and the whole "EDM" scene. 10/10 Expand
  26. Oct 8, 2013
    Every night before I go to bed I listen to a few songs from RAM. It has not ceased to blow my mind. I feel like it never gets old and I can't stop listening to it! Keep pumping out beats Daft Punk.
  27. May 29, 2013
    Personally I hate Daft Punks old stuff but, this album is utter brilliance. It comes to us at a time when the album is a dying art and singles seems to be dominating the industry. And this album may be the album to change that! Random Access Memories is one of the few albums I have listened to that I could not supplement from you HAVE to listen to it front to back and you will go out ofPersonally I hate Daft Punks old stuff but, this album is utter brilliance. It comes to us at a time when the album is a dying art and singles seems to be dominating the industry. And this album may be the album to change that! Random Access Memories is one of the few albums I have listened to that I could not supplement from you HAVE to listen to it front to back and you will go out of your way to. In conclusion BUY THIS ALBUM! Expand
  28. May 22, 2013
    One cannot expect anything stronger this year. To dance and to contemplate. A bombastic return of disco gods. Panda Bear and Moroder as cherries on top of a pie are tasteful. Yummy.
  29. May 21, 2013
    Random Access Memories is certainly surprising. Daft Punk have broken my expectatives, i expect something different but the results are very much better. Is a personal work, a headphones album, with great coherence, a strict sense of narrative in some songs of the album. Is great to hear the way that electronic music converts in an album with a several symphony arrangements. I rememberRandom Access Memories is certainly surprising. Daft Punk have broken my expectatives, i expect something different but the results are very much better. Is a personal work, a headphones album, with great coherence, a strict sense of narrative in some songs of the album. Is great to hear the way that electronic music converts in an album with a several symphony arrangements. I remember 70's albums of Pink Floyd, Queen, works with a common line, telling us a musical story. Is my favourite since Discovery, and Giorgio By Moroder is a little master piece, and Touch a curiously and complex work that will divide listeners. You may not dance, but if you have sensitivity, you'll feel and you can't stop listening. Expand
  30. May 21, 2013
    This album is every bit new and different and yet uniquely and 100% Daft Punk.

This album is every bit new and different and yet uniquely and 100% Daft Punk.

A first play through introduces you to a whole new sound. A second play through will get you into the groove. By the third play through you're picking up the details, flourishes and Daft Punkisms that have informed every single album they've made to date. It's dance, it's progressive, it's electronic, it's disco, it's brilliant.

Don't miss this album.

1. Jul 12, 2013
    As a record standing almost entirely on nostalgia, sure, it gives schmaltzy ’70s dance music a fine, not-sacrilegious update and sets it to a pleasant neon glow, but it’s a trip through history that’s almost more educational than immersive.
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    RAM has the immediate appeal of disco, but never overstuffs with candied hooks, even when we want it to.
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    They've wisely chosen to not compete with the younger generation of DJs, and shown the upstarts the roots of dance music. They've also proven that they are not one-trick ponies who can only build beats on samples. They do just as well with a completely different sonic pallette.