8.1

Review this album

1. May 21, 2013
    Random Access Memories is in the simplest of terms a triumph. Despite Daft Punk's robotic visage, every song on the album feels incredibly heartfelt, from the love letter to the Synthesizer that is Giorgio by Moroder, to the laid back and hypnotic Fragments of Time.

Despite having few collaborations prior to this record, Daft Punk clearly know how to get the best out of their new recruits. By selectively choosing artists and musicians that they look up to and admire, Daft Punk have managed to easily intertwine their inimitable electronic class with the likes of Nile Rodgers' incredibly catchy guitars, Todd Edwards' smooth cut-ups and Panda Bear's confident indie feel.

From the reviews and opinions I've gathered so far, the album's biggest point of contention seems to be 'Touch' the collaboration with Paul Williams. Whilst definitely not the best track on the album, it's certainly one that grows on you, especially when it hits that magnificent 3:20 mark.

Definitely not an album that should be missed by anybody.
  2. May 26, 2013
    I don't get the hype people...
    The 70s feel is nice and the beats are wonderful, but it lacks so much.
    It's like they wanted to just throw a bunch of sounds together to make some of the longs long (and not actually listen to someone who is good at making the longer songs; Rush & Zeppelin). It drags on, the singing is monotone on 50% of the album, and you hear the same thing over and
    I don't get the hype people...
    The 70s feel is nice and the beats are wonderful, but it lacks so much.
    It drags on, the singing is monotone on 50% of the album, and you hear the same thing over and over and over... That's not music IMO.
  3. May 21, 2013
    After 3 years of silence, the noise has finally returned. The rightful kings of EDM (Electronic-Dance Music) are back and in full swing with their new album. The tracks ooze through the speakers with such magnificence, you will have to brace yourself to endure the exhilarating experience. The songs intertwine together, tied tightly together with a bow, and handed to you to open and enjoy.After 3 years of silence, the noise has finally returned. The rightful kings of EDM (Electronic-Dance Music) are back and in full swing with their new album. The tracks ooze through the speakers with such magnificence, you will have to brace yourself to endure the exhilarating experience. The songs intertwine together, tied tightly together with a bow, and handed to you to open and enjoy. I must say that Daft Punk may have lost some of their electronic side in the transition period, but those are minor details. It seems as if comparing Human After All with Random Access Memories is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they're both fruits, but they're nothing alike.

Even from the beginning, Daft Punk make their message clear. They are trying to "Give Life Back To Music". They, unlike all pop music today, have emotion. They have rhythm and soul. So, maybe these cold, metallic robots do have hearts after all. They seem to show love and want to spread it with their music. The feel good tracks such as "Get Lucky" and "Lose Yourself To Dance" get their audience into a hypnotic state of being, mesmerized by the entrancing beats. One song in particular caught my attention. The track "The Game of Love" is a heart-wrenching masterpiece with a similar feel to "Something About Us" from Discovery. This lyrics, despite being distorted by a robotic voice, express a deep lamentation and exclamation of love.

The first half of the album is flawless. The songs are smooth and errorless. When you slowly transition into the second half, it seems as though the songs become more ambient. They would be perfect if they were played in the background of a party, but not as frontline tracks. I'm not saying that they are bad tracks, but they lack the emotion and funkiness that is set-up in the first half. However, I am slightly disappointed with "Doin' It Right". This track features the genius vocalist/drummer Noah Lennox (or better known as Panda Bear). He is a member of one of my favourite bands, Animal Collective, and has made a splash in the electronic spectrum. I figured that the rhythm behind Animal Collective would create a heavenly collaboration with two electronic gods. I was sadly mistaken when I heard the lack-lustre track. It's not all bad, but I really expected something with a little more "oomph".

Despite a few minor setbacks, Daft Punk have created one of the most enjoyable albums this year and continue to surprise us with new tricks up their sleeves.
  4. May 21, 2013
    This is the by far, the worst thing to ever come out of Daft Punk but here's a 1 for trying to do something new. For me, its far from what made them good and therefore will not support this or any further albums if this is the crap they want to shovel.
  5. May 21, 2013
    By no means a bad album. It's just one that settles for having little ambition. The album has a much different sound compared to any of Daft Punks earlier work, which depending on whether you like or disliked their past albums could be a good or bad thing. RAM is a solid album for what it is trying to be, which is a throwback album to the 70's-80's. Many of the songs sound as if they hadBy no means a bad album. It's just one that settles for having little ambition. The album has a much different sound compared to any of Daft Punks earlier work, which depending on whether you like or disliked their past albums could be a good or bad thing. RAM is a solid album for what it is trying to be, which is a throwback album to the 70's-80's. Many of the songs sound as if they had been recorded in that era, which shows the respect the duo clearly have for the genre. Unfortunately, this is also a con. I found myself getting songs confused, as they sounded so similar to one another. And with this being a Daft Punk album, I was hoping for a fresh, almost revolutionary sound, similar with what they did to orchestrated soundtracks with Tron Legacy. But they didn't alter the sound they were trying to recreate, which was probably their choice. Song highlights of the album would probably be Doin' It Right and Get Lucky. So to recap, if you are a huge Daft Punk fan or enjoy what genre they went into with this album, you will love it. But for those expecting something revolutionary with a older fashioned Daft Punk sound, you will probably be disappointed, especially if you saw the incredibly high critic reviews, which I admit had me excited. Either way, a decent album by a great duo. Expand
  6. May 23, 2013
    Bloated soft rock, cheesy soft soul/funk, laughable seventies goofballs, terrible lyrics, organ solos... if any other artist had done this (or, say, any of the feature artists like Paul Williams, the guy who wrote that Mupppets song) had come out with this album, it would have been ignored, or savaged. But it's Daft Punk, and it had over 500 five star reviews on iTunes even before it wasBloated soft rock, cheesy soft soul/funk, laughable seventies goofballs, terrible lyrics, organ solos... if any other artist had done this (or, say, any of the feature artists like Paul Williams, the guy who wrote that Mupppets song) had come out with this album, it would have been ignored, or savaged. But it's Daft Punk, and it had over 500 five star reviews on iTunes even before it was heard, so it's a crowd that refuses to acknowledge the emporer has no clothes.

Lionel Ritchie and Toto and Peaches and Herb as inspired inspiration? Or just an attempt to, as the critics are all loving saying, "be human after all"? As human as a hallmark card.
  7. May 22, 2013
    I am quite the Daft Punk fan so I ran out and bought this soon after getting it. However, this is not your usual Daft Punk album. It has a much more jazzy feel, which I didn't expect. Sure the robot sound comes out at times, however this is definitely a highly jazz-influenced album. Whilst I like this new direction I miss the old Daft Punk, and ultimately the tracks blur into each other aI am quite the Daft Punk fan so I ran out and bought this soon after getting it. However, this is not your usual Daft Punk album. It has a much more jazzy feel, which I didn't expect. Sure the robot sound comes out at times, however this is definitely a highly jazz-influenced album. Whilst I like this new direction I miss the old Daft Punk, and ultimately the tracks blur into each other a bit too much for my liking. Ultimately, a new and interesting direction on paper, but Memories is rather unmemorable. Expand
  8. May 24, 2013
    I'm glad I tormented the album and then deleted it. After the first couple of songs, I ended up skimming through the rest in about a minute. I grew up in the early 90's listening to Daft Punks classics. Songs like Revolution 909, Da Funk and One more Time come to mind as big hits among many others. Random Access Memories had no doubt millions pumped into marketing. People who don't evenI'm glad I tormented the album and then deleted it. After the first couple of songs, I ended up skimming through the rest in about a minute. I grew up in the early 90's listening to Daft Punks classics. Songs like Revolution 909, Da Funk and One more Time come to mind as big hits among many others. Random Access Memories had no doubt millions pumped into marketing. People who don't even like electronic music were touched by RAM's marketing. Commercials, web & radio advertising were everywhere. They even play "Get Lucky" here on radio stations not associated with European electronic music. Without a doubt this album was all Hype, no delivery. I feel many people cannot come to terms with how bad this album is, so instead jump on the safe opinion that the album is great, edgy and intelligent. The marketing machine has told them for months that it is good. Thus, they believe, the album IS good. RAM consists of nothing more than soft rock and breakbeat type music. The only song that is decent is "Get Lucky", and only when the classic robotic style voice kicks in. All the other songs are either soft rock featuring mainstream singers. I give this an album 2 because Daft Punk can do whatever they want and if this is the direction they want to go in I respect that but it's definitely an album that is unmemorable in the strictest sense. If any unknown artist released this exact same album instead most people would laugh at it. But since a famous group like Daft Punk did it, most people scream "OMG SO ORIGINAL!". Many teens will be playing this over speakers believing themselves to be edgy, cutting edge & original. Expand
  9. May 22, 2013
    Random is the correct word. The marketing deserves a 10, but unfortunately not the album which is a bit all over the place. "Beyond" seems to be built on a Michael McDonald baseline, "Fragments of Time" sounds more like Hall and Oates then Daft Punk, and "Touch" sounds like a 90s Disney musical number.
    I think there are going to be a lot of people saying this album is great because they want it to be great, and have been told for weeks now that it's great but listen to it, and decide for yourself.
  10. May 23, 2013
    If only itunes did returns. Listening to this album feels like purgatory with elevator music. Simply put, the duo proves that they can't hack it without the samples. I read a review where the reviewer called the lyrics "high-concept". All I heard were mindless encouragements to "dance" and melancholy assertions of "i am empty inside". Overall there is nothing impressive here. Not oneIf only itunes did returns. Listening to this album feels like purgatory with elevator music. Simply put, the duo proves that they can't hack it without the samples. I read a review where the reviewer called the lyrics "high-concept". All I heard were mindless encouragements to "dance" and melancholy assertions of "i am empty inside". Overall there is nothing impressive here. Not one banger, not one peak, not one song that flips the switch. Considering what we know Daft Punk can do, this leaves one longing... Expand
  11. May 26, 2013
    The album is too boring and repetitive for their style, just "Get Life Back to Music" are fun and maybe, not enough. For me it's the kind of music you would hear to relax or to chill out at some bar, but if you want to party, don't use this album for that. They can do it better :S
  12. Jun 1, 2013
    The universal acclaim for this album is entirely confusing to me. It sounds nothing like Daft Punk and ventures into a disco/jazz realm that is nice if you are into that stuff, but since when did the masses enjoy this type of music? I certainly was disappointed to see them take such a direction.

Get Lucky, the biggest hit of the album, felt like it was from the 70s. It was and IS played out yet everyone is raving about it? What gives?

As artists, they have every right to take whatever direction they wish. I simply do not like it and will not be buying the album. This was an oldies album, not a an electronic powerhouse the way Discovery and Homework were.
  13. May 21, 2013
    With this album, the highs are extremely high and the lows are quite low. Tracks like "Instant Crush" are far too poppy for my liking, but then tracks like "Give Life Back to Music" and "Within" are exquisite. Too hit-and-miss as an overall project, unfortunately.
  14. May 26, 2013
    I give this a 7 because I like the album from a generic pop record standpoint. However, as a Daft Punk lover myself, I can't say I'm not disappointed. Some of the songs on here lack any kind of substance, musically or otherwise. Others are very well developed, in particular "Within" and "Instant Crush", which are very appreciated creations. Others, like "Lose Yourself to Dance" and "GetI give this a 7 because I like the album from a generic pop record standpoint. However, as a Daft Punk lover myself, I can't say I'm not disappointed. Some of the songs on here lack any kind of substance, musically or otherwise. Others are very well developed, in particular "Within" and "Instant Crush", which are very appreciated creations. Others, like "Lose Yourself to Dance" and "Get Lucky", are miserable songs that not only drag and lag, but also have little to no quality. A mixed bag of good and songs, but overall, as much as I wanted to give it a higher rating, and even if I don't give it a lower score, I'm sore at this. In all honestly, I hate this new Daft Punk approach, which is now Daft Disco. I want my old French House/Disco/Electronica back, because this doesn't cut it. I'm a fan, but I can only bear so much. Expand
  15. May 21, 2013
    When I first listened to Random Access Memories, I had a blast. Sure, there were a few tracks I didn't like, but I enjoyed a damn good portion of it, and after spinning it a few times, I realized that I didn't care about it anymore. Daft Punk's homage to 70's disco, jazz fusion and soft rock is an interesting direction to choose, but it's only meant to be loved once.
  16. May 21, 2013
    I'm amazed by all the high reviews for RAM. I can only think that people are so willing to accept the message of this album, in a time of whats been called the "soulless dubstep era" that they're completely blinded to its faults. I'm a die hard Daft Punk fan. I'll be listening to their previous albums for the rest of my life. Even Human After All is one of my favorites. I never understoodI'm amazed by all the high reviews for RAM. I can only think that people are so willing to accept the message of this album, in a time of whats been called the "soulless dubstep era" that they're completely blinded to its faults. I'm a die hard Daft Punk fan. I'll be listening to their previous albums for the rest of my life. Even Human After All is one of my favorites. I never understood the dislike for HAA, because those same fans will turn around and go nuts whenever they hear Technologic or Robot Rock. That said, I'll be lucky to get through RAM more then a handful of times. While listening to the album I tried my best to imagine myself dancing to the beat at a live performance and I couldn't do it. The further I got into RAM I was slapped in the face with the realization that Daft Punk had no intention of making an EDM album. I would have known this beforehand by doing some research, but I wanted to embrace RAM with no expectation of what it would be like. Unfortunately, I'm sorely disappointed. It seriously pains me to rate a Daft Punk album anything lower then a 10. But it seems that for the first time, Daft Punk didn't make an album for us. They made the album that they wanted us to hear. To the point where its glaringly preachy. To me this is a serious problem because thats not what Daft Punk has ever been about. They wear those masks because they didn't want to be rock stars. They didnt need to show themselves or speak on behalf of their music. Their intent was always clear in their work. They wanted to make good dance music. It was never about sending a message or trying outright to be meaningful. And now they're trying so desperately to get the message of "real music" across to us, that wearing masks has become absolutely pointless. People seem to not realize (daft punk included at this point) that music doesn't need to send a message to be meaningful. Their old albums made me and millions of fans want to get up and dance. Dancing is the purest form of expression, so what could be more meaningful then that? Just one play through of RAM is enough to tell you that they've obviously become so upset with the EDM scene, that they wanted to completely remove themselves from the equation. There are some good tracks like Giorgio and the soaringly brilliant Contact, but for the most part, its a slow trudge that actually made me feel a bit depressed while listening to it. I still have hope that Daft Punk will release an EDM masterpiece One More Time, but it seems that they would rather give up on the genre they popularized, instead of trying to reshape it. Expand
  17. May 31, 2013
    I don't understand the hype around this album. I think after the song with the philosophical sounding German guy, people thought they were just supposed to like it, as if it were something deep. The beginning of the album feels like it is about to build into something epic which, quite frankly, never comes. After I had been listening to the album a while I look down and realize I had goneI don't understand the hype around this album. I think after the song with the philosophical sounding German guy, people thought they were just supposed to like it, as if it were something deep. The beginning of the album feels like it is about to build into something epic which, quite frankly, never comes. After I had been listening to the album a while I look down and realize I had gone through 8 songs without noticing they had even changed. I'm a big Daft Punk fan, but this album is drab and boring. There are no standout songs (except for contact, which is awesome) and it's hard to distinguish one song from the next. I think most people are giving this album rave reviews just because they feel like it's the intellectual thing to do, or because they were told so much how good this album is/will be, they convince themselves it's true.

Oh, and quit throwing around "dance" so much with this album... there are MAYBE three songs in the entire set that can be danced too.
  18. May 30, 2013
    Terrible. Thankful for Spotify so I did not purchase this rubbish. I love most of their stuff but this is mostly insipid. Lacks balls! The Paul Williams track is so bad I nearly coughed up my breakfast!!! Reminiscent of a Michael Crawford track!!!! If you like Jamiroqui you'll love this album!!!
  19. Jun 1, 2013
    I opened up an account to share my deepest regrets to listen to something outer of space than this. I used to be a big fan in the 90ies like everybody here expecting something beyond the what I call "PRINCE"-effect. What does that mean to me Well, if you consider all the albums of PRINCE until the "Around the world in a day"-album they where all great, when he left Warner it suddendlyI opened up an account to share my deepest regrets to listen to something outer of space than this. I used to be a big fan in the 90ies like everybody here expecting something beyond the what I call "PRINCE"-effect. What does that mean to me Well, if you consider all the albums of PRINCE until the "Around the world in a day"-album they where all great, when he left Warner it suddendly felt like something got lost. All the releases after that lacked of unique and creative work. Same is with Daft Punk. The first two albums where amazing, soundtracks of a generation, musical masterpieces of the digital industrial revolution, this kind of sound will still go to Mars Mission. But Random Access Memo will straight go to hell of indifference. They wasted a lot of money for all their strings and regular analog studio arrangements. Maybe they used samples that sound so real, so they could save a lot of money..but I don´t care. If your in the postproduction business you know all the readymade soundbanks, don´t you RAM is worse than that. I don´t understand who put this on air. It just tells me that innovation is a precious state of mind that you have mostly, when you stay hungry. The minute people get crazy about your work, you become a star and everybody wants your stamp on his package, you have to take care a lot to stay in this "breaking the rules"-state of mind. Random means random..at least a waste of energy, time and CDs, uploads, advertising....just Duff Punk Expand
  20. Jun 6, 2013
    As the streets sings of the 'joys' of Thomas and Guy's new musical collaboration fill the air, I cannot be left with any feelings but sadness and disappointment.

From what the advertisement and early reviews told me, this album was to shake the earth, leave cracks in the foundations of music, fill the air with the thunder it so lacked, and yet all I observed was a small push at what was meant to be brilliance.

As I listened to the artist who's music literally shaped my tastes in music, and my childhood, I found myself nearly crying with disappointment, around eight years of waiting, eight years of promises, and this is what is thrown to the masses.

The bigger, kinder part of me wants to dismiss the album as a mistake, but I know that all of the reviews claiming this is one of the 'best' and most 'redefining releases of modern times, are all wrong, coming from people who were forced into bad music, and even worse rappers.

This seems to me to be some mighty call out to re-ignite the passion of Daft Punk that hadn't been allowed to breathe for so long. And yet, we receive some let down of a bestial war-cry of god-like proportions.

I can only pray that releasing the ten minute song, of Giorgio Moroder giving us his life of music in some verbal biography was intend as a in-joke for the team. I can only hope this proves example to the pair that they should stick to what they know, which is making heavenly noise of samples.

I do not care how much the masses cry, it will take more than one song that sounds half decent to change my opinion of this pile of good wishes, and bad noises to sound good to me.
  21. Jun 27, 2013
    I remember being nine years old and picking up "Discovery" for the first time back in 2001. I fell in love with it instantly. I liked every song on the album and I feel like that is extremely rare. Random Access Memories felt like a tragedy to me. Daft Punk were the first artists that I got into and I had received much inspiration from them. Each song sounds like a long and dull drone. GetI remember being nine years old and picking up "Discovery" for the first time back in 2001. I fell in love with it instantly. I liked every song on the album and I feel like that is extremely rare. Random Access Memories felt like a tragedy to me. Daft Punk were the first artists that I got into and I had received much inspiration from them. Each song sounds like a long and dull drone. Get Lucky is what really boggles my mind. How do so many people like this song or this album for that matter? The way I see it is that Daft Punk didn't put any real effort into making the album and that it was basically full of egotism. They really seem to be acting like their virtuous in their music and that they started the genre. No way. They lost all of their humility and they aren't making real music anymore. Their viral marketing campaign is definitely the reason for the hype. It really got me, but the difference between me and everyone else is that I was able to see past the marketing and hear how awful this album really is when it came out. I'm a fan of Panda Bear and Animal Collective, but "Doin' it right" it doesn't feel like a collaboration at all. It sounds like Daft Punks Vocoder chanting next to Lennox singing. The process is just repeated and then a dull house beat is placed over it. The lyrics are HORRIBLE in every song. I would have some tolerance in my heart, but I feel like this is just terrible and ridiculous. Usually when a band that I like makes a bad album, I look past it and give them another chance, but there is no excuse for this album. It is probably the biggest disappointment in music that I've ever heard in my life. It is in no way practical to listen to. If Daft Punk wants to self-masturbate over how they think they are the masters of electronica, I'm done. Pretty Lights has an album coming out this year that I know will be amazing. Expand
  22. May 22, 2013
    One cannot expect anything stronger this year. To dance and to contemplate. A bombastic return of disco gods. Panda Bear and Moroder as cherries on top of a pie are tasteful. Yummy.
  23. May 30, 2013
    Random Access Memories is a refreshing return of french duo Daft Punk that is as delightfully groovy as it is brilliant. It does unfortunately have some boring and self-indulgent moments and some overlong tracks and it may even upset some fans with the change of tone, but tracks like "Get Lucky", "Touch", "Giorgio by Moroder" and "Contact" help boost the album into great territories...andRandom Access Memories is a refreshing return of french duo Daft Punk that is as delightfully groovy as it is brilliant. It does unfortunately have some boring and self-indulgent moments and some overlong tracks and it may even upset some fans with the change of tone, but tracks like "Get Lucky", "Touch", "Giorgio by Moroder" and "Contact" help boost the album into great territories...and they do so. This album may not be as good as Discovery, but it is a fine return of the beloved french duo and I hope they continue to do more creative music in the future. Expand
  24. May 31, 2013
    This is the case of the hype much, deliver tush. This album may be different but it doesn't mean it's ground-breaking or amazing. In these days of generic pop tracks, everyone jumps at sounds by famous musicians which do not sound generic but are not necessarily good, and exaggerate their qualities. Don't get me wrong, the melodies are not bad or anything, they just aren't something peopleThis is the case of the hype much, deliver tush. This album may be different but it doesn't mean it's ground-breaking or amazing. In these days of generic pop tracks, everyone jumps at sounds by famous musicians which do not sound generic but are not necessarily good, and exaggerate their qualities. Don't get me wrong, the melodies are not bad or anything, they just aren't something people would 'lose themselves to dance' to. The tracks are too dull to be dance records and not bright enough to be pop. Too fast to be r&b/soul and too tame to be rock. This album just stands in-between and reaches for nothing. I honestly believe that Daft Punk of all people could have found some better ground to build an album after more than 8 years. I knew from the start that critics would hype and acclaim this album just because it is not your usual Rihanna or Pitbull album, but at the same time we gotta ask ourselves: Is different necessarily good? What makes RAM a good album? Is it because it does not sound the same as what's on the radio or because it actually gets you moving irresistibly just like 'One More Time' did? If the answer to the latter is 'no' then this album can be considered mediocre. Expand
  25. May 25, 2013
    I was super excited about this coming out but after listening to it if feels bland and flat it defiantly does not sound like daft punk. Why are so many disco songs included? i can see one or two but the whole album is disco. Discovery and human after all are the two albums that got me into electronica because they were so different and it seemed like they were pushing in a entirely newI was super excited about this coming out but after listening to it if feels bland and flat it defiantly does not sound like daft punk. Why are so many disco songs included? i can see one or two but the whole album is disco. Discovery and human after all are the two albums that got me into electronica because they were so different and it seemed like they were pushing in a entirely new direction for music. Now ten year later it seems like they want to go 30 years into the past, disco is dead for a reason. leave it that way. Expand
  26. May 23, 2013
    I'm not a huge Daft Punk fan anyway, though of course I loved Discovery and enjoyed them whenever anyone would play anything else of theirs. But this is just dull and samey, there is plenty better music than this from the original eras. That said, of course it's good music. And to all the people raving, I say this: Emperor's New Clothes.
  27. May 25, 2013
    It's an bold addition to the Daft Punk and successfully recaptures the music style of the 1970's but for some reason it never feels that good, and definitely doesn't have the Daft Punk style. It has its moments with some really good songs, but some of the songs just don't do enough to keep people listening and interested, and with the added hype from their 3-year silence this album willIt's an bold addition to the Daft Punk and successfully recaptures the music style of the 1970's but for some reason it never feels that good, and definitely doesn't have the Daft Punk style. It has its moments with some really good songs, but some of the songs just don't do enough to keep people listening and interested, and with the added hype from their 3-year silence this album will capture your heart, bring back memories and disappoint you at the exact same time. Expand
  28. Jun 2, 2013
    Daft Punk are undeniably iconic, however an issue of argument remains as to whether this is a substantiated reality or simply a result of sly marketing. Random Access Memories is prolific and wholesome at its foundation however Daft Punk's attempts have fallen horribly short of their intentions, resulting in nothing more than a failed attempt at a musical documentary rather than aDaft Punk are undeniably iconic, however an issue of argument remains as to whether this is a substantiated reality or simply a result of sly marketing. Random Access Memories is prolific and wholesome at its foundation however Daft Punk's attempts have fallen horribly short of their intentions, resulting in nothing more than a failed attempt at a musical documentary rather than a respectable album.

The duo have enlisted a all-star force of disco veterans to execute this attempt; a piece of news that swayed emotions of excitement in many. Bass lines and melodies on tracks like 'Give Life Back to Music' by Nile Rogers are invigorating and dance-inducing, reminiscent of the 70's Chic classics we all love. Heart pumping arpeggiators in 'Giorgio by Moroder' by the man himself breathe thick synthetic soul into the track. 'Touch', arranged by Paul Williams stands by far the most bountiful track on the album and while remaining unique, it is a brilliant emulation of game-changers such as Pink Floyd, underpinned by a broadway musical scale soundscape. Unfortunately for RAM, this is about as far as positivity seems to reach.

I’ve always been a fan of ambient music (and of Daft Punk) however, enter tracks like ‘Game of Love’ and ‘Within’ and somehow all that changes. Half-baked yet over-reaching are thoughts that come to mind. What used to be creative and hearty vocoder stylings have transformed into weak noise suggestive of the default pre-sets one hears by pressing a button on a 90's Casio keyboard. Giorgio by Moroder, starts well yet transforms into a tasteless, cringe-worthy scratch party by the finish. That’s right, there’s something like 30 seconds of a feeble attempt at vinyl scratching overlaid onto the song for seemingly no particular reason other than to try and smash as many genres together as possible, leaving nothing but a sour taste in the listener's mouth. Large scale genre blending is a difficult task and success is seldom; look to ‘Imaginary Sonicscape’, an album by the Japanese black metal band ‘Sigh’ for a good example of said success. Look to any works from Flying Lotus as evidence for how a contemporary artist seamlessly melts multitudes of genres while remaining forward thinking.

This album shows the same elements are repeated through and through, yet not in the respected classic Daft Punk manner. The drum line used at the end of ‘Giorgio by Moroder’ is almost identical to that on ‘Contact’, then slowed down and used once again for ‘Beyond’, all to translate their new material to a different type of live show than the last. The shift from digital to organic isn't some genius ‘robot2human’ reference as other critics seem to ignorantly assume. It is however a response to the current era of downloads, where live shows are the money-makers. Justice did the same, as did Digitalism; but change should never occur at the expense of quality. Tracks like ‘Doin’ it Right’ and ‘Instant Crush’ are filler tracks at their core, and that's being kind. This is a real shame for the legitimate feature artists which each have excellent music to offer in their own right.

This piece had potential, but never as an album. The result is nothing more than a tasteless homage to the eras of synthetic disco, thrown together with barely associable genres in an attempt for variation and modification. From day one, this ‘album’ should have been a documentary. As such, it would have been congruent with their intentions to source disco veterans, solidify their legacy in the electronic music realms as well as act to further reach new market segments in a productive and lasting manner, rather than through mere-exposure. If the millions that were spent on flood-marketing were instead used to hire a brilliant cinematographer and set up worthy, vivid and revitalising interviews with said veterans (as opposed to the half-arsed attempts of the ‘collaborators episodes’), a truly historic mark could have been made. Instead, this album will be forgotten. The hype will die, the mere-exposure effect will run its course and the clone masses will either jump on the next bandwagon or go back to listening to the brilliant works Daft Punk have released in the past. In a few years, no one will care about a launch party in the rural Australian town of Wee Waa, no one will care about their high scale ‘unboxing’ videos released a week previous to launch, about the collaborator episodes, the late show clips, the ‘accidental’ leaks of get lucky or the garish videos played during festivals.

If another album is in sight, I hope they go back to making the gold they once did. Perhaps the reality I’m finding hard to accept is that their creativity has run its course, a circumstance usually evidenced by enlisting a mass load of collaborators on a new album. Only time will tell. For now, throw ‘touch’ on repeat for a decent journey, or simply stick with Discovery.
  29. Aug 17, 2013
    It's like they killed the old (good) Daft Punk and made a marketing strategy out of the dead corpse. I am really disappointed as a long time Daft Punk fan. I was expecting something like a reboot to the good old times, some fresh 'different' electronic music style like they always had. I still love to hear the old albums, and hopefully Daft Punk will find back to their own style and makeIt's like they killed the old (good) Daft Punk and made a marketing strategy out of the dead corpse. I am really disappointed as a long time Daft Punk fan. I was expecting something like a reboot to the good old times, some fresh 'different' electronic music style like they always had. I still love to hear the old albums, and hopefully Daft Punk will find back to their own style and make music like they always did. Expand
  30. Sep 26, 2013
    This is simply just pathetic. Whats worse are you ignorant, pandering sheep who claim to like it. Give it a rest people. This is pure horsesh*t...........................................................................................................................

1. Jul 12, 2013
    As a record standing almost entirely on nostalgia, sure, it gives schmaltzy ’70s dance music a fine, not-sacrilegious update and sets it to a pleasant neon glow, but it’s a trip through history that’s almost more educational than immersive.
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    RAM has the immediate appeal of disco, but never overstuffs with candied hooks, even when we want it to.
  3. Jun 26, 2013
    They've wisely chosen to not compete with the younger generation of DJs, and shown the upstarts the roots of dance music. They've also proven that they are not one-trick ponies who can only build beats on samples. They do just as well with a completely different sonic pallette.